Chapter 24 – Summoned by the King
859 18 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey, another chapter!

Sorry for not uploading a chapter yesterday, I was a bit busy.

Please enjoy!

 

- (Marquis Christian de Balista’s POV) –

 

My name is Christian de Balista, I’m 38 and I’m a Marquis. My son Frederic went to Victoria’s party earlier while I’m taking care of paperwork in my office. I hope he is not messing around like he always does… I don’t know what to do with this son. I think it’s my fault because I doted on him too much, so he became arrogant and self-centered. It might be complicated to let him inherit the territory with his personality though…

Suddenly, someone knocks on the door.

“Yes?” (Christian)

The head butler enters the room and says:

“The young master is back from the party.” (butler)

Ah, he is finally back. I hope he didn’t pick a fight again…

“I’m going to see him.” (Christian)

It’s a good time to take a break, so I leave the office to meet my son. Once I arrive in the entry hall, I can see my son covered with bandages. What the hell?!

“What happened?! What are those bandages? Are you alright?” (Christian)

“I’m fine, father, thanks you for worrying about me! The injuries are already healed by a healer, I only need to keep the bandage until I take a bath.” (Frederic)

What?! Since when my son is this polite? He usually shouts and runs away when he comes back injured because he is too ashamed to explain.

Suddenly, Frederic gets closer to a maid and bows in front of her.

“Miss, I’m sorry for everything I did to you, I hope I can pay back my mistakes…” (Frederic)

WHATTTT?!!! IS THERE AN ANGEL WHO ENTERED MY SON’S BODY?! If I remember correctly, he threw his teacup on the maid because he was not satisfied with the temperature. Well, he was always like this… On the other hand, the maid is completely surprised, she probably never imagined getting an apology from my son. What happened to him?! Let’s ask him!

“Frederic, what are you doing?!” (Christian)

“I’m apologizing to this maid.” (Frederic)

“I see that, but why suddenly? Did something happen?” (Christian)

“I…” (Frederic)

His face suddenly become red. What the hell?!

“I met a girl and she refused to marry me. She told me she doesn’t like me because I’m and idiot who is too arrogant. So, I have to change and try again!” (Frederic)

WHATTTTTT?! My son is finally in love?! I don’t know who this girl is, but she is a hero if she cans change my son!

“I see! I’m supporting you! Who is it and what’s her rank?” (Christian)

“They said her name is Anna, and I think she is a commoner. She has red hairs and is slightly older than me. I don’t know anything else…” (Frederic)

Commoner?! Well, I would prefer if she were at least a noble, but I don’t mind if she is a commoner if she can change my son’s personality.

“It’s fine! I don’t mind if she is a commoner.” (Christian)

“Thank you, father!” (Frederic)

After that, he leaves the entry hall and I’m alone with my butler and a few maids. I turn toward the butler and say:

“Please, investigate this girl.” (Christian)

“As you wish, Milord.” (butler)

 

***********

 

- (Anna’s POV) -

 

It’s morning but the sun is already high in the sky. The party was yesterday evening, and the tournament starts tomorrow. I’m currently walking alone in the streets. The city is well decorated for the festival, and it’s beautiful! Nearly all the commoners decorated their house, a bit like during Christmas on Earth, and there are also garlands financed by the country above the street.

I’m finally free after being busy for weeks… but I don’t know what to do… I guess I will just take a look at the Adventurer Guild, then visit Lylith. Yup, good idea!~

I walk toward the Adventurer Guild. By the way, it looks like my title ‘Red Flash’ is not really famous in the capital, it’s a good thing because it’s tiring to hear everyone gossip around me when I walk in the city, like they did in Marina.

Once I arrive in front of the Adventure Guild, I enter inside. I don’t plan to take a quest, but it doesn’t hurt to take a look, so I head to the boards where all the quests are. There is a board for each rank, so I look at the B-rank board first. There are several quests available but it’s quite far from the capital… Furthermore, I think B-rank is too boring for me so let’s check the other boards!~

I check the A-rank board and there are 4 available quests.  Two of them are about ruins exploration, but the quests are here since a year according to the date… It looks like Victoria was right, she told me that there was a lot of ruins discovered but no one has enough balls to explore them! The others 2 are monsters’ subjugation, one is for a lich, the other is for a titan. There are titans in this world?! I want to run on his arm and slice his neck like a certain anime character!~

Well, whatever, it’s too far from the capital, I think I will check those quests again after the festival. Let’s look at the S-rank quests, even if I can’t take them because I’m only B-rank. There are 2 S-rank quests; one of them is a ruin exploration, it’s apparently a cave and no one know what is inside, but they think it might be the rest from an ancient civilization. The second quest is a fire dragon subjugation, it’s very interesting, but it’s also very far from the capital…

Why are all the high ranked quest that far from the capital?! It might take several weeks to go there with a carriage, or even months! Well, it would only take a few days for me, but still… I can just ask a receptionist for the reason.

I head to one of the female receptionists and ask her.

“Excuse me, why are all the B, A and S-rank request so far from the capital?” (Anna)

“Ah, it’s because the area around the capital is controlled and the big threats are immediately subjugated by the royal knights and mages. There are many F, E and D-rank monsters so it’s a good spot for rooky adventurers!” (receptionist)

Well, it was obvious… I thought there would be higher ranked quests in the capital because the city is bigger, but it looks like I was wrong.

Suddenly, a man who was listening to our conversation interrupts us.

“Hey’, why is a lass like ya asking for high ranked quests?! Ya should focus on quests close to yar rank! Or ya can go back crying to yar mom if ya are too afraid!” (adventurer)

Again?! Why are all the adventurers underestimating me?! Do I look weak? Well, maybe… I turn to him and look him in the eyes.

“What’s your problem?! Who are you even?” (Anna)

“I’m a D-ranked adventurer! Ya better speak more politely, ya can’t bear the result if ya annoy me!” (adventurer)

So, he is threatening me to not annoy him while he is the one who engaged the conversation?! Is he stupid?! Besides, my rank is way higher than his! Well, D-rank is still higher than average so it’s not surprising if he is arrogant…

“So what? I’m B-rank.” (Anna)

He back off a bit with a surprised face, then he speaks again:

“Y-Ya are lying!” (adventurer)

“If you think so… you can look at my card if you want.” (Anna)

I take out my card and show it to him.

“W-what?! B-rank and registered less than a month ago?!” (adventurer)

“Yes. So, are you going to leave me alone?” (Anna)

“Yes, I’m sorry!” (adventurer)

He runs away… What a coward. I turn again to the receptionist and she is looking at me with shining eyes.

“Excuse me, are you perhaps Anna, the one called ‘Red Flash’?” (receptionist)

Again with this title?! Well, it’s not surprising if the guild knows about it, the Adventurer Guild is a huge network and they share all the information.

“Yes, it’s me.” (Anna)

“Wow, I’m so lucky to meet you! I heard that you killed a Behemoth in Marina, it’s so amazing! I’m your loyal fan! It’s so rare to see a strong and young female adventurer! My friends will be jealous when I will tell them that I met you!” (receptionist)

WHAT?! I already have several fans?! Is a female adventurer that rare?

“Oh, I’m honored that you know me! Is it that rare for a girl to become adventurer?” (Anna)

“Yes! Being B-rank at your age is unheard of, even for boys! There are many female adventurers who register but they usually quit fast because they are victim of discrimination…” (receptionist)

Ah… I see. If all the adventurers are like this idiot D-rank, I can understand them.

“I see. Thanks for the information! I will participate in the tournament if you want to watch me.” (Anna)

If she is a fan, she will want to watch me fight, right?~

“Oh! I will come with my friends to watch you!” (receptionist)

“Alright! I have to leave now, see you next time!” (Anna)

“Goodbye! Please don’t hesitate to come back sometimes!” (receptionist)

I wave my hand at her and leave the guild. I guess it’s time to visit Lylith and her father! I head toward the Church and I arrive in half an hour. I’m only walking and not running; I have time anyway and I also want to explore the city.

I think the Pope and Lylith should be in the cathedral at this time of the day, they only use the temple to sleep or when they are free. I enter inside the cathedral and look around, it’s the first time I’m inside a cathedral since I came to this world after all. There are several wooden benches in the hall, like a normal modern church. There is also a huge statue of a female, I suppose she is Saria, the goddess of this world.

It looks like the entry is free and there are no guards or anything, I guess no one dare to mess inside a church. Oh! There is a priest in the hall, let’s ask him where the Pope is.

“Excuse me, do you know where the Pope is?” (Anna)

“Oh, you must be Anna, right? Usually, you can’t just meet the Pope like this, but you are an exception; I have been informed to guide you to him if you ever came. Please follow me.” (priest)

“Alright, thank you!” (Anna)

I follow him and we enter a room on the back of the cathedral. Inside the room, I can see the Pope, several priests and Lylith. Lylith is wearing a beautiful dress and her hairs are covered, she is an apprentice nun after all. Suddenly, Lylith sees me so she runs toward me and hugs me. So cute!~

“Anna-sama!” (Lylith)

“Hello, Lylith! How are you?” (Anna)

“I’m fine, thank you!” (Lylith)

The Pope also sees me, and his face lit up.

“Welcome to our humble church, Angel-sama!” (William)

“I’m not an angel!!” (Anna)

Why is he still convinced that I’m an angel?! And since when this cathedral is ‘humble’?! It’s extremely huge and very well decorated!

Lylith looks up at me after her hug and ask:

“Anna-sama? You are an Angel-sama?” (Lylith)

“NOO!” (Anna)

The Pope open his mouth again:

“How may I help you, Angel-sama?” (William)

I guess I can’t stop him anymore…

“I came to see Lylith and also the situation in the church.” (Anna)

“Oh! We are missing a lot of priest, but the situation is becoming better each day thanks to you!” (William)

How is it thanks to me?! Well, it’s thanks to the goddess’s poop that I dropped but he is not supposed to know that it’s me! Right?

“I see, I’m happy to hear that.” (Anna)

“We recuperated everything that belonged to us from the Holy Faction’s temple. However, we can’t find a certain item and I’m a bit worried…” (William)

“What kind of item is it?” (Anna)

“It’s a dagger, but there is an Archdemon sealed inside. This Archdemon threatened the country 300 years ago but a hero managed to seal it in the dagger.” (William)

WHAT?! It’s super dangerous if they can’t find this dagger!!

“Ehh, isn’t it dangerous? You should immediately ask the King to send his knights to find it!” (Anna)

“Well, I don’t really want to bother the King with our problems, I already sent a lot of people to find it. Besides, it’s properly sealed so the Archdemon can’t come out, only someone with a high level of light magic can release it!” (William)

“Who in this country is able to do that?” (Anna)

“As far as I know, only me and the Archpriests should be able to do that. This level of light magic is one of the conditions to become Archpriest or Pope, after all. One of the Archpriest is dead, and the second one is Oscar who is confined in the prison right now, so it’s safe if he doesn’t escape. However, it’s possible that someone with a high level of light magic exists but no one know it.” (William)

I see… I hope they can find it soon. I can’t really help; I can only find a living being with my ‘radar’ because they have mana. And even that is not easy if I’m not familiar with the person’s mana; there are millions of people in the capital, after all. I guess I can let them find it, it’s not my duty to help the country for every single problem, I already helped a lot so far.

“Alright, good luck! I think I will leave; I don’t want to bother you too much; don’t hesitate to tell me if you need my help!” (Anna)

“Thank you very much, have a good day, Angel-sama!” (William)

After that, I leave the church. I don’t know what to do now so I think I will go to my shop.

 

**********

 

A few hours later, it’s the middle of the afternoon and I’m currently in my shop, but I’m upstairs. It looks like my employees are fine without me, they are not children after all. By the way, Elise came to the shop and we signed the contract stating that I will give her 100 potions per month for her duchy.

I’m currently creating new potions since I’m bored, I need to prepare them sometimes to furnish my shops. It has been an hour since I started, and I already prepared several hundred potions.

Suddenly, I can hear some noise in the shop. What’s happening? Let’s check!

I go down to the shop, and I can see several knights inside. What the hell is happening again?! Is someone trying to take my potions again?! Let’s listen to what they have to say while I’m still hidden.

“Hello, please call the one who made the potions.” (knight)

Again?! However, he is polite this time, so I don’t think he wants to steal the potions. The employees are intimidated and don’t know what to say, but I can’t blame them since there a dozen of knights in front of them. I told them to leak my identity if someone threaten them, I value my employees more than my identity. Let’s show up!~

“Hello, I’m the one who made all the potions in the shop. Why are you looking for me?” (Anna)

I say while walking toward them in the shop. I keep a poker face to show that I’m not afraid of them.

“What’s your name?” (knight)

“I’m Anna.” (Anna)

“Alright, please follow us. You are summoned to the castle by the King.” (knight)

WHAT?!

 

Can anyone guess why she is summoned by the king? :P

I know that I promised the tournament soon, but I decided to add an event that I originally planned to make after the qualifications... It will starts in 2 chapters though!

I also dropped a few foreshadowing in this chapter, so don't hesitate to make your theory in the comments. :P

Don't hesitate to give your opinions about the novel! I'm someone who is more motivated to write if I know that people reads and enjoy my work.

23