Chapter 4
4.9k 13 134
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Night falls, making the cave pitch black.

I, a baby crow, was now the proud owner of one green goblin.

Now the question was, what am I going to do with this guy.

Greenie doesn’t have any confusion about what he wanted to do, kicking aside the bones and broken armor and snuggling into the cold ground like it was any comfortable bed. What a hardy creature he was. My nest was more comfortable than that.

I’d also discovered another new finding about crows. They weren’t nocturnal animals. I couldn’t see a thing in the dark.

The only reason I was able to see Greenie getting ready for bed was through the loud clanging noises of iron and bone clanging together as he pushed it aside and the glow from Greenie’s eyes.

Goblins had night vision and glowing eyes, but not crows. Now that was a piece of information I would have never thought to consider.

You put me in a fantasy world, but don’t give a bird glowing eyes? Sounds like someone had slacked off on the finer details. It would probably be the same being that brought me here.

Being black and all, shouldn’t I be able to see in the dark? I was a bird that practically embodied the night and its darkness. You would think I would be able to have night vision.

It was getting colder, the breaths of the goblin misting white in the air as he fell asleep, closing his eyes and shutting out the only dim source of light available.

Though I’m not sure how exactly Greenie the goblin had become my pet, I was a lot more comfortable with him now, knowing that he didn’t want to eat me.

I hop and flap towards the general vicinity of where his eyes had last glowed, and arrange myself to sit on his stomach. His thick rough skin emitted a slight heat, and it was better than the hard ground. Another bonus was that it was quiet.

Ahh-

Sweet silence!

No annoying baby chick squeaks and squawks here!

Since the moment the light shimmered around the goblin, the faint feelings of hunger, fear, and sleepiness had been on my mind, somehow separate from my own feelings. It wasn’t my hunger, since my small chick body was full from gorging myself on Greenie’s pink meat.

These were Greenie’s emotions. As his owner, I could feel his emotions now. They were simple emotions, the goblin’s emotional capacity only able to focus on one at a time, so he would cycle through them. It was different from the way I felt, where I could feel a mixture of emotions. If Greenie was scared, he was scared. If he was hungry, he was hungry.

He had been sleepy, so he slept.

After becoming his master, I understood why he wanted me to be his pet. Greenie was scared of me, yes. But he was lonely too. Seems like there were other goblins out there, though I don’t know why he was here all alone by himself.

From the excitement I felt from him when he looked at me sometimes, he was expecting something from me.

Me, I was glad he wasn’t hungry when he looked at me.

Deep down, I was happy for the company. Though weird, Greenie was nicer than my crow siblings. He was smart too, knowing how to deal with the emerald snake.

Also, it made more sense for me to hang around here with Greenie the goblin.

I didn’t care about going back to the nest anymore. I was a bird. Birds all eventually left their nests anyways.

More than that, right now, I wanted to eat food. Real food!!! Like juicy hamburgers and spaghetti dripping in meat sauce. Chocolate ice cream. Ramen noodles. I want human food!!

The pink meat worked fine to stave off the hunger. Yep, it was a big step up from the baby bird food, but I was already craving the food that I knew existed in abundance back in that hazy other world.

In this fantasy world with goblins, I’m sure there would be humans, or races similar to humans out there that could cook.

Like elves! And dwarves! Maybe even fairies!

Did fairies eat fairy bread? What kind of meat was out there, waiting for me to devour them? I feel like dwarves would make a mean soup. My inner feeling was saying they would.

Just thinking about all the new cuisine ripe for the picking was making me super excited.

I blink my crow eyes, shaking my head at myself.
It was too early to get excited about that stuff.

Who knows what other creatures were out there, hungry for some baby chick meat. Though I wouldn’t be much of a meal, I was easy pickings. Not even a few meters away from the cave, and I had almost died.

I had almost died.

I-

The thought sunk in with all the finality and swiftness of a guillotine.

My heart starts to beat frantically in my chest. This was a strange new world! I wasn’t even human anymore!!

I was gonna die! I was gonna die! I was gonna-!

A wave of calmness automatically floods into my head, and my erratic breaths even out. This was the second time this had happened, though I hadn't noticed it the first time till I thought about it later on. The first time was during the time the snake had been staring me and Greenie down. One second, frozen in fear, and the next, completely calm, cool as a cucumber.
It was like my emotions were detached from me, and I moved independently of it, hopping away from both the snake and Greenie.

Now the strange thing was, whenever I tried to think about my former world and my personality as a human, whatever thought I’d somehow grasped would turn into mist.

It was easier for me to not think about it, and little tidbits would pop into my head during my natural stream of thought.

I comb my wing feathers with my beak, pondering the goblin below me. Looking on the bright side of things, having a goblin pet would be much more useful than flying around this never-ending forest by myself.

Greenie had bonus points for having arms and legs. At this point, he was in a better position than me with working fingers that could make things.

A monkey can create a simple hammer, but a bird?

Birds could only fly. Wings couldn’t do anything else but fly.

You’re my compadre now, Greenie.

Please don’t let me down.

Maybe the mechanical lady could help me. This was a fantasy world. I didn’t bother to question why there was a woman’s voice in my head that asked me questions. I’d already seen a goblin and a crazy huge snake.

I wouldn't even be surprised if a dragon appeared.

Uh-oh. Better change my course of thought.

Wouldn’t want to be raising a flag for no reason, right?

Information. What I needed now was information, and that system thing could give it to me.

........Hello?

Mechanical lady?

System lady??

…………Customer service?

None of the calls I made in my head work. There was no response.

Hmm. Maybe it was voice activated?

If it was, then I was stuck. The croaks and goblin noises I could do weren’t working to summon the voice.

Why had the goblin been able to activate the voice while I couldn’t? If I remember correctly, he hadn't said anything. He couldn’t even speak a language. The words Greenie said had no clear rhythm or inflection, and he had used different grunts to point out the meat.

This wasn’t working.

Maybe I needed to focus harder. I remembered playing a game once, where you could see the game characters had something to show with… what was that word..

I remember now!

Status!

Ding~! A large white square displays itself in front of me, conveniently glowing in the dark so I can read the words written on it.

Greenie was a deep sleeper. He would be a goner if a monster crept into the cave while he was asleep. The light and the ringing noise does nothing to disturb his sleep, and I continue to rise up and down on his stomach as he breathes, where I sit my fluffy toosh down comfortably.

---Status---
Name:
Raven
Race:
Common Black Raven
Title:
???
Magic:
N/A
Abilities:
Skill [Raven Call]
Skill [Peripheral Vision]
Skill [Flight]
Skill [Goblin Call] New!!
Resistances: N/A
------

Wha-

Whaaaaaat!!

We interrupt this program with breaking news-

I’m a raven!!

134