Chapter 43
2.1k 19 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Crackle. Rustle.

I wince. These two behind us were so loud! Even with 『Hide』and 『Evasive Manuevers』activated, it was difficult to cover for the two bumbling newbies behind me. I was surprised they'd even made it this far with their conspicuousness.

The old woman's magic must have done something to hide them.

Leaves would crunch under the Minotaur's wide hooves, while the dwarf would trip over the gnarled roots that hindered our path. The dwarf seemed to be having the most difficulty, fumbling around the moment I used 『Hide』. Whatever skill he'd had to sense our attacks during our fights was impeded when I used the skill.

There was definitely some sort of skill he used to sense me during our fight.

Maybe next time I should try fighting him with it activated. If there was a next time.

Which forced me to somewhat relax my usage of the skill, so that we would be easier to follow for the Minotaur, who in turn would lead the dwarf with the rope.

Arjhkgs!

The waves of pain were beginning to grow again. Huffing, I can feel my dry eyes rolling into the back of my head. Wrinkled arms hung limply against the ground as the old woman passed out. A slight jealousy twinges through me.

I wish I could pass out too, to have some respite from the continued torment that pierced through my chest and wing.

Would I even be able to make it back on time?

Greenie had been constantly looking down at me, checking in using Thought Transmission to see if I was still awake.

Strong pain, Master?

"Craaawk..."

Not wanting to move my body to respond, I just sadly croak in response. It wasn't like I could like to Greenie. Our link made that impossible.

Yes…

Leaves rustle behind us, as a voice calls out.

"unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem"

What?

Greenie stops, turning back warily to the source of the voice. It was that dwarf again, pulling against the rope that the Minotaur led, digging his heels into the dirt.

What was wrong?

With the hag unconscious, it wasn't like we could communicate anymore.

The blind dwarf holds up one finger, and crouches down, digging his fingers into the grass. And shoveling, like a dog. He doesn't seem to care when the dirt flies in his face, caking his thick beard and flying into his cloudy eyes. Blinking, he digs, gritting his jaw.

Was he crazy?

The Minotaur, Greenie, and I stop to exchange glances. He must be crazy.

"Fugiat quo, voluptas nulla pariatur?" The Minotaur tries to step forward, towards us, but the dwarf ignores the tugging on his rope and continues to dig.

And quite quickly at that.

"Nullam lobortis consequat auctor."

At least the Minotaur seems satisfied with what the dwarf was saying. Nodding at the dwarf's response, the Minotaur tilts his horn towards me tucked under Greenie's arm like I was the golden goose, and then back to the dwarf that digs away.

He lets out a sharp, relieved laugh, pulling something out of the dirt.

"Igni Alumen!!"

It was some sort of silvery white clump, which the dwarf uses roughened fingers to stroke and sniff, even licking it and smacking his lips.

It was probably a sort of white mushroom. I didn't know, nor did I care to look any closer. Getting to the lake and using the clay to seal my wound was the first thing on my mind now.

He must be some sort of druggie, digging something out of the dirt and licking it like it was the most precious candy.

We really didn't have time for that.

Greenie, let's just leave them and go. I'm sure they can catch up if they want to come with us. Those two were more like extras anyways, ones that I was only helping because their acquaintance the hag had saved Greenie. And they did give me their collars as part of the payment.

"Proin luctus!!"
"Proin!"

Both of them call after us when the Minotaur realizes we were going to leave them behind, jerking his hips to make the dwarf look up from the avid stroking he was doing of the thing he'd dug up.

The dwarf pats off the mud on his pants and stands up, wedging the long sword between his teeth like a pirate and blindly stumbling forward, the silvery shape flashing between his fingers.

He was much happier now with that thing.

Well, we had one thing in common, a love for shiny things.

-----------

Luckily, we made it back to the lake unscathed, where Greenie sets the hag on soft green grass. Moaning, she breathes heavily as she curls back into the fetus position.

Ok clay, clay.

There should be some on the shores of the lake. I'd seen a soft blueish-grey sediment when I'd perched on the rocks, during the first encounter with the humans.

Master, help?

But every part of the lake shore looked the same..

Hmmm…

Arghh!

I click my beak in frustration, wincing when that pulls on my chest.

Wait! There had been tall red reeds where I'd seen the silt.
And scanning my gaze to the far corner of the lake, I spot it.

Greenie, those reeds over there! I need you to bring me the soft grey sand in the water there, as much as you can!!

While the sun was still up, I could use it to cover my wound and dry it. And also seal the old woman's wound while we were at it. Hopefully it would dry into some sort of ancient band-aid to cover the open wound?

I could only hope it worked.

Carefully, Greenie sets me down on the ground.

Yes Master! Greenie go quick!

And he was quick!

Greenie runs off like a shot, leaving me with the Minotaur, who stares at the lake before him, ridged brows furrowed as he stretched his scarred neck.

"Ut maximus semper justo a aliquet. Ut viverra, lacus a volutpat finibus, orci tortor condimentum nulla, ac fermentum leo leo sed magna. Cras pulvinar feugiat posuere."

"Cras rhoncus augue in placerat sagittis."

Those two were speaking again, but clearly, it was about me. I mean, the Minotaur was looking right at me as they spoke. And the dwarf, who was close by, was now headed in my direction. One hand, with his palm up, in a calming gesture, the other still holding the silvery thing.

It was definitely not a mushroom. That was metal! One that dwarf had shaped in his hand to form into a long, thin stick. Wa-Was he going to shiv me??!

I can feel my eyes wavering, body frozen, staring at the dwarf who searches the grass, looking for me.

Nuooooohhh!!! I don't wanna die!! I'd worked so hard to live!!

I do my best to move my body, stepping backwards one step at a time. Alas, my bird legs were too short. I couldn't go very far if I wasn't hopping. And though short, the dwarf still had longer legs than me.

Greenie wasn't here, and I couldn't get away quick enough. If this dwarf wanted to stab me, this was it.

GREEENIEEE!!!!

I yell out, using Thought Transmission.
Hopefully he could get here in time.

And neither one of the two seem to hear me, though the lady does groan with my telepathic shout. Please lady, wake up, do something! I pray, but she only frowns, and stays passed out.

I was going to get shivved to death by a dwarf! Please! Anything but death by getting stab-stabbied!!

The silver stick was the length of a man's arm and a little thicker than a pen. The perfect width to make a kabob out of me. So this was it, then.

This crazy druggie metal-licking dwarf was going to kill me!

Wait.....

The dwarf's stern face didn't look like someone who was planning to murder me.

 I glance behind the dwarf, to the sword that lay forgotten on the soft grass behind him. Even with my panic, the pain from my injury kept my mind somewhat clear.

Something was strange. He leaves the sword, but picks a wimpy metal rod he'd dug out of the ground to attack me??

Master!???

Master!!

Greenie come!!

"Krwwaaaaaawkk!!"

Behind me, I can hear Greenie bellowing.

But it was too late. Ignoring Greenie, the dwarf picks me up-

ARGHJHSFKHS!!!!

and starts wrapping the thin silver rod around my chest and broken wing, tracing the broken parts of my wing and chest.

THAT HURTS!!!!

 

I'm sure you've noticed, but I've changed the language the trio speak to each other into *not* keyboard smashing. I'll go back and edit the previous chapters too~! Some of the words they speak do have a special meaning that I've chosen, and some don't. We can call it a sort of treasure hunt, if you will ;)

65