Chapter 59
1.6k 5 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

COME FIGHT, BIRD!

NO THANK YOU~

I call back to the wolves, watching their tongues flopping out of their muzzles, bellies heaving with exertion. My body sways from side to side, dodging the green hands that try to grab me from behind.

Master, hide!

My goodness, was my peripheral vision great compared to when I was a human. It was easy enough to hop out of Greenie’s hold while we both hid under the vine blanket.

The dead vines terribly woven together were a part of our insurance so that if the new Siphon Bush accidentally overgrew it’s mold boundaries, we would be safe.

And it worked like a key, letting us pass through the bushes unhindered as long as we were covered with the vines. The plant recognized the branches as of the same kind, so it didn’t attack us.

We were practically invisible to the plant.

Though Greenie was utilizing it more to hide under the blanket, and I sense, hope the wolves would eventually go away.

Why would I go out and fight when I didn’t have to? That wasn’t very smart now, was it?

The challenge that wolf was talking about, maybe it was when I’d so foolishly taunted the wolves. Was that it? I wish I could smack past Raven in the head. So happy to gain a new skill that I’d immediately used it. Hahhhh…

Appraisal didn’t give me the details of each skill and title so I would have to test them all carefully and figure out how it worked.

I’m going to stay right in here, thank you.

The smaller wolf, the one the Wolf King circled protectively around nods it’s mangy head when I address it instead.

[Female Grey Wolf (Poisoned)]

A female wolf, maybe the Wolf King’s mate?

Her and the other smaller wolves were affected by the poison more than the Wolf King and the other large wolves at ready behind him.

Hmm.

Maybe the poison was working faster on the smaller bodies because they needed less for it to work?

Or they’d eaten more of the poisoned Antoras than the bigger wolves. But that was strange, considering the wolf habits I remembered from my old world. I’d been taught in a biology class that alpha wolves were the very first to eat their kill.

I’d been hoping the habits were the same with the wolves here. Guess not. 

The other wolves had been a close enough match, but the Wolf King, I hadn't been able to observe. It was too dangerous if he found us.

But the Wolf King was the most energetic amongst them all. There was no bloodstains on his muzzle, not even the slight appearance of discomfort, only anger, as his tail slapped against his hind legs. BIRD!!! COME!!! BEFORE MY PATIENCE WEARS THIN!

With a running leap, the Wolf King rams his head into the vines that immediately tangle around him. Though the vines did their best to draw him deeper into their depths, the sheer size of the wolf itself made it difficult.

The other wolves were still easier to swallow up once they were weakened..but this Wolf King.. He had just as much, or even more energy compared to the time he’d fought the Ironwood Bear King.

Cocking my head at the wolves who continued to test the boundaries of the vine hedge, I narrow my eyes at the 2 in the front, trying to figure out what exactly was going on.

I never challenged the Wolf King. What are you talking about?

If I could get her to understand and leave us alone, maybe we wouldn’t even have to fight at all.

You, you didn’t?

NO! The bird did!!

Both beady eyes swivel forwards the anger bubbling in me making me point my beak downwards so that I could give the Wolf King a death glare.

No, I didn’t!!

YOU DID!

I DID'NT!!

The grey wolf female sighs a deep, heavy breath, rolling her eyes as if she was tired of all males and the crap they did.

Oh boy, did I know how that felt.

From what Crixus and Andvari called me, they considered me a female raven, and I think they’re right. Maybe that would also explain my feelings of being left out of the loop when Andvari and Crixus did their own thing.

Seeing that we both seemed to agree on our opinion of males, I clack my beak and tilt me head at her, looking for some sort of sign that said we were- friends?

No not friends.

Two animals that had an understanding?

That sounded more accurate.

Our gazes meet when she glances at me, then glances away, stroking her nose down the scarred side of the Wolf King’s face.

Or not.

I try convincing them using another route of logic.

If you’re here because your pack is hungry, there’s nothing here to eat. We’re barely getting by as is.

(Which wasn’t a lie. Technically, here in the cave, there was nothing here. All our food was at the Ice Cavern.)

Aren’t you hungry? Why don’t you go hunt some other animals instead of us. I’m sure a goblin and a bird like us isn’t very appetizing.

Grrrrr.

Lips pull back from his muzzle as the Wolf King bears his teeth.

Indeed. Goblins taste terrible.

The calm countenance of the wolf changes too as she too bares her teeth, muzzle wrinkling as she furrows a menacing look towards us.

However, you must fight him. You challenged the Alpha. You must fight until the victor is decided.

Oh come on!

Throwing up one wing in exasperation, I pinch two wing fingers into the classic ‘italian hand’ gesture. My goodness, was this frustrating.

Eyyyyy! Whats’ a’ the matter wit'chu!

I thought us girls could talk it out!

Breaking the eye contact, the female wolf lowers her head and stands behind the Wolf King. My oh my. This wolf was just as unreasonable as that Wolf King.

With a bark, the wolves surrounding the hedge protecting us retreat as the Wolf King steps closer, eyeing the contracting and expanding vines.

BIRD!

What?!

I respond in annoyance.

IF YOU DON’T COME HERE, THEN I’LL HAVE TO COME TO YOU!

Sticking out my tongue in disgust, I call back.

TRY IT IF YOU CAN!

Using the directly thought link, I contact the members of my Unkindness secretly so that the wolves don’t hear.

Greenie, Andvari, get ready!

The air is tight with tension as the WOlf King rears back on his haunches, bending forelegs down low. He was winding up for either a jump, or another blast of fire at the hedge.

Probably both. He kept eyeing the top of the bushes, then me; as if he was measuring the distance out.Gritting my teeth tightly together, I retreat back under the vine blanket, only sticking out m head to have a view of the Wolf King as he comes.

Other wolves growl and bark, teeth bared as they glare at us, until they suddenly stop. All their noses point in one direction off to one side, and Greenie and I both follow the direction of their gaze.

Crack!

A tree branch cracking, then the sound of leaves shaking.

What was it??

.
.
.
.

Esteemed Lady, I have arrived!

There’s a rustling in the bushes, and out pops a curly mop of hair, then a bull’s head, followed by a thick, corded neck, until it seamlessly morphs into the torso of a ridiculously built body builder.

Crixus?

Everyone freezes in confusion at the new addition the the situation.

WHO’RE YOU? DON’T INTERRUPT!!!

Stomping his paw on the ground, the Wolf King sends a warning ball of fire whizzing by Crixus’ face.

Huffing heavily out of his nostrils and blowing the hair out of his eyes, Crixus doesn’t flinch when the hot air blows past him.

Now that, was cool.

Shrugging, he addresses the Wolf King:

I’m not interrupting anything. My allegiance is with the Lady.

Pointing with his broken horn in my direction, it feels ticklish when Crixus whisper-thinks to my mind privately.Esteemed Lady.

Yes?

I want to fight him.

But- but Crixus, that’s atheWolf King! It has fire coming off it’s back!!!

Crixus smirks, staring head on at the Wolf King before him. How was he so calm when he wasn’t even behind the protection of our hedge?!

The minotaur was outside of our hedge, having come from the Ironwood grove. If all the wolves attacked him at once, then and there, he was dead!

When I win this battle, may I have a Tear?

…..Do you think you can win?

Crixus nods, a small smirk on the crook of his mouth.

Yes. I’ve trained each day with the bears of the Ironwood trees.

Uhhh-

Let me, Lady.

Those large cow eyes sure were good for making a puppy-dog face at me. How could I say no?

But Crixus-

Trust me, Lady. I’m ready.

Let’s not tell him the last time I saw an Ironwood bear, it had been eaten for lunch by the very Wolf King before us.

Alright then. I promise you the Tear if you win.

Wolf King!

Turning to the waiting wolves I wave my wing at them to get their attention.

You wanted a fight! We’ll give you a fight.

COME, BIRD!

Nope, not me!

What!??

Crixus will be my champion!

The female wolf behind the Wolf King pokes its head out as all the wolves focus on me, ears flattened in confusion.

Uncomfortably shifting from one foot to another, I gesture widely with my wing towards the Minotaur standing in the bushes like a strange, muscular plant.

Ahem!

With a short cough, I begin introductions. If we were going to have a fight, might as well do it with style.

The nostalgia hits me hard when I begin. Dad would’ve been loving this right now if he were here.

Didn’t think I would miss those stupid matches I’d pestered my dad so often to change the channel from.

LEEEEEEEEET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!!

All heads swivel towards me as I announce in my best Mr. McMahon voice(funny accent included!), gravelly hoarse voice booming as I transmit the meaning of my words at the same time.

Very kind of me, if I do say so myself. If I didn’t, they wouldn’t understand what I was saying in English out loud.

One black wing flutters as I swing wide, pointing towards the only other person who seems nonplussed at my announcement. He even nods his head in my direction as I continue on. Did he do this a lot? Maybe he had when he was a gladiator.

In corner green, hailing from the Plains, we have at 250 kg~ CRIXUSSS THE MINOTAUR!

Aaand the crowd goes wild! I think, pausing for a beat.

MOOOOOO!

A loud whuff and a moo deep enough to rattle my bones makes us all flinch. That moo was enough to turn my brain into jelly.

Lady, I am honored to have you introduce me.

Privately, Crixus winks at me. Nodding back, I continue.

And in corner- corner grey? Weighing- uhhh, 150 kg? WE HAVE~ the WOLF KING!!

In the back of my mind, watching Crixus step forward and nod his head towards his opponent, I thought: If worst came to worst and Crixus was about to be killed, I could planning on lobbing some Spice Bombs the wolves way and dragging Crixus out of there.

I pledge on these horns!

BAM!

The Sacramentum!

BAM!

Crixus roars, pounding his hoof on the ground with each exclamation.

My allegiance and my life to the Esteemed Lady!

Nodding towards me behind the Siphon Bush, I watch with baited breath as he bows towards the Wolf King. Slowly, the other wolves retreat even more, creating space for the two fighters to meet in the middle.

FINALLY. One who understands!

Bushy tail wagging slightly behind him, the Wolf King bares his teeth into a fierce grin.

57