Chapter 63
1.3k 7 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The wolves no longer had the will to fight. Covering ourselves using our woven blanket made of Siphon Bush vines, Greenie tucks me under his arm and crawls under a small trench we’d dug on our side of the ring.

Finally, I could see how bad Crixus’ wounds were without a veil of green covering my vision.

It was also nice to be able to speak normally without the threat of a fight looming on the horizon. When we come out on the other side, the wolves back away to give us space, and Greenie heads straight for the Wolf King. 

Ding~!

[You have won the Alpha’s Challenge. The Wandering Wolf Pack pay obeisance to you as Pack Alpha. Do you accept?]

The Pack Alpha?

My vision whirls as I shake my head from side to side. Hahh…
It was hard enough trying to hunt for food to feed the four of us. If I became Pack Alpha, it would be even worse, trying to feed an entire pack!

What kind of hell would that be? Spending every single day hunting, hunting and more hunting. There would be no time for me to try and cook food to eat, no time for me to adventure out and find human food. Oh food. How I missed human food so much. This would perhaps be even worse than my previous life, where the expectations of the people around me sucked the life out of me.

No offense to the wolves, but I aspired for a better life. Being the Alpha of a wolf pack did not factor into that equation.

Seeing the wolves gathering together in front of the siphon bush barrier in a decidedly different manner, it was hard for me to give them a clear no.

But inwardly, I knew what I had to do:

I must reject this offer as politely as possible!

You want me to be Pack Alpha? All I did was “take your life”!

Greenie had already slowly set me down before the Wolf King while he stayed flat on the ground. We were practically nose to nose. In this case, snout to beak?

Only predators viewed things from the front. Prey had side-facing eyes.

Addressing the Wolf King head on, I ignore the brief fun fact flashing through my head and stare back at him.

You took my life, who else can be Pack Alpha except the winner of the Challenge.

The Wolf King’s voice speaks in a matter-of-fact tone, as cooly as if he were telling me the sky was blue.

You are the winner of the Challenge.

Incredulous, the female wolf chimes in, shaking her head back at me. Taking a moment to pause she turns her head discreetly to the side to cough out a glob of blood.

I’d almost forgotten about that part. Everyone had some blood on them; except for Greenie and I. We were covered in crap.

Now that the fight was over, it did’t feel good knowing that the cause of the wolves’ continued blood loss was because of me.

Unlike a physical fight where you could stop your blows, poison didn’t stop when the opponent accepted their loss.

Their tone was set. The wolves’ didn’t even seem to consider the fact that I might reject this offer.

Hmm..Okay.

What about this? Thinking back to my old life:

But I’m only a bird. Small, with a broken wing.

I twist my body so they can see my cast. To emphasize, I weakly pretend to move my broken wing, twisting my neck mournfully as I do so.

I don’t even have wonderfully fast paws to run with like yours! I don’t think I am worthy of being your Alpha…

This method always worked with the jerks back at the office. It was easier to get work done if I spoke to them by putting myself in a lower position while raising them up.

I didn’t like to do it often, but I’d had to use this method more often than not.
By appealing to their pride as wolves, maybe they would rethink their offer to make me the Alpha.

That’s alright. You are more powerful than us. It is only right that you become Alpha.

The other wolves nod, agreeing. Some of them inch closer to me, sniffing at me in interest. Greenie doesn’t let them get close though, fearlessly pushing them away by the snout when they are close enough to touch me.

Their total belief in me was baffling. It wasn’t like I was the one that fought with the Wolf King and won. Crixus was the one that fought for me!

B-But. I wasn’t the one that fought! And I’m injured too?

With my most mournful gaze, I try shrink tightly in on myself, huddling down and scrunching up till my talons were hidden under my fluffy behind. Without looking back I can see from the corner of my eye Greenie supporting Crixus from the side and helping him back to our cave.

Good. I’d discreetly asked Greenie to do that while I spoke with the wolves. Just to be safe. If another fight broke out, at least Crixus and Greenie would be safe.

As for me-

There was the hole that Greenie had crawled out of from beneath the Siphon Bush. Worst case, I would just jump in there and wait the wolves out again.

We measure our strength by the victory. You won, using your Pack member. That means you are the strongest.

His large body lowers even flatter to the ground, splaying his limbs while the other wolves follow suit, bowing deeply towards me. Even the female wolf follows suit after her mate.

You turned your weakness into strength. That is something even I as Alpha struggled with.

Welp. That didn’t work then. It was clear the wolves weren’t going to take no for an answer. Aaand-

Seeing what was happening from the corner of my eye, I give up on rejecting the offer.

a few of them even followed Crixus and Greenie back to our cave, slipping under the blanket with the two of them.

They were already starting to make themselves at home.

Sigh..Might as well make the best of it.

Aside from the delicious food that was at the top of my list of comforts I worked so hard towards, was also a soft, warm bed.

A second glance at the wolves large bodies told me their backs would be more than enough to

Might be a smidge musty smelling, but…

They did look comfortable to lie on. Instead of going to the trouble of skinning the dead wolves back in the Ice Cavern, these wolves that were alive would also be warm. Like a heated fur blanket. Mmmmm.

[You have won the Alpha’s Challenge. The Wandering Wolf Pack pay obeisance to you as Pack Alpha. Do you accept?]

The notification was still there. Waiting for my response.

Alright then.

I accept!

Ding~!

[Title Obtained: Alpha]

[Title: Alpha: Command the Pack. Provides a calming effect on Pack members and inspires trust in the Alpha. ]

I tried testing the connections to feel for the invisible strings I felt with Andvari, Crixus, and Greenie, but I felt nothing. There was no strings connecting any of the wolves to me.

Strange..

Maybe the wolves didn’t have this option??

It felt strange not being able to know what the other wolves were feeling. I could only judge by their body language what they were feeling. Judging by the wagging tails behind the healthier members of the Pack, they seemed quite excited to have me as their new Alpha?

Why was that?

Since I was the Alpha now, I guess they would tell me when I asked them.

Heaving another heavy sigh makes the pointy ears atop the Wolf King’s head flick towards me.

In the span of what felt like a few days, the number of creatures living with us was increasing in leaps and bounds.

I hope this wasn’t the beginning of something. If the number of creatures I would have to take care of kept on increasing, things wouldn’t bode well for my shiny wings…

With the stress that came along with the added responsibilities, they might start falling out.

Better not to think about that. With a quick shake of my head, I turn back towards our cave, whistling towards Greenie.

Greenie! Let’s open up the fence!

He’d quickly come back after dropping off Crixus inside, hauling the hoe over his shoulder.

After I give him the all-clear, with a quick nod towards me, he begins hacking away at the vines, ignoring the curling tendrils and laying down a path of vines and flat rocks, sprinkling my Spice Bomb solution on top to keep the vines from growing back.

Do you want to come inside then?

I ask. It was only proper now as a hostess for me to invite our new guests inside.

We have to get you guys fixed up too. I add, wincing inwardly as some wolves pass by me, droplets of blood following their footprints as they step towards our cave.

The biggest wolves gently grip the Wolf King with their mouths and begins pulling him towards the cave entrance.

Eouch.

Sucking in a breath, I wince as I slowly follow behind.

That looked painful. And almost demeaning.

It wasn’t right that the enormous creature, this majestic beast was like this. It was partly my fault he’d turned out this way.

Wait a minute!

The wolves stop when I call out to them, releasing their grip on the Wolf King, who immediately falls back into a heap of bloody, broken bones and fur.

Without the tall flames that crackled on his back, the Wolf King looked smaller. It wasn't right. I needed to try and find a way to fix him up.

Rest here for a bit.

Quickly hopping back into the cave, I head towards our stock of healing materials we’d been using for my wing.

On the way, seeing Crixus taking a swig of water provided by Andvari, I skid to a stop.

There was also that!!

The evolution!! I’d almost forgotten, and it was so important too!!

Tapping on Crixus’ leg, I peer up at him.

Crixus?

This could be Crixus’ chance to get his arms back.

I wouldn’t know what evolving meant to others. It was important that I asked Crixus beforehand. Though I may be the Progenitor or whatever, I didn’t own him. No one did.

And like Andvari, he was a member of my family, my Kin.

Before asking, I double check what exactly Crixus might be evolving into:

Appraisal!

[Horned Ramstein: A forgotten variant. Tall horns and a skull protected by layers of thick bone make for a living ramming stone, capable of crushing stone into dust. Docile until provoked, the Horned Ramstein can be a terrifying enemy.]

Ooooh! That sounded cool! And if Crixus evolved, then maybe his arms would come back, like my wings were fixed when I evolved!!

Yes, Lady.

Happiness making my chest go all warm and fuzzy, I dance up closer to Crixus, who sat laying against the cave wall. I also made sure to use the private channel of Thought Transmission. Even though Andvari was also right next to us, it was impossible for him to hear out conversation.

Sensing that Crixus no longer needed water, Andvari disappears, grumbling as more and more wolves begin trickling into our cave.

I ignore him, letting him go up to Greenie, smacking him lightly on the arm and pinching his nose, obviously complaining about the wolves in his own dwarven tongue.

Crixus. May I evolve you?

Evolve?

Crixus pushes off the wall, using the back of his head as a springboard and leans close towards me, huffing heavily.

You have the ability to allow me to go through a Becoming!?

Blinking as the hot air blows into my eyes, I nod.

If by a becoming you mean, then evolving into a different species, then yes. It says you can become a Horned Ramstein.

Yes. By all means!!!

Crixus crouches on his hind legs, bringing his face right in front of mine and stares deeply into my eyes.

Why was he so serious?? Greenie and I’d evolved, me twice already. Wasn’t it a common thing?

Hiding my nervousness at how intensely he looked at me, I try smiling at him.

Okay!

I would like to evolve Crixus!!

Ding~!

[Evolution available for Kin: Crixus. Would you like to evolve him into a Horned Rammstein?]

Yes!

Immediately, with eyes rolling into the back of his head, Crixus falls like a doll with its strings cut. Clacking my beak, I stare at him. His chest rose and fell. He was still alive.

I hope he doesn't have to go through the pain I felt each time I evolved, I think to myself, watching him groan on the ground.

Alpha.

The female wolf taps me gently with her nose, inadvertently marking me with a streak of her blood that still continues to leak out.

I would like to have a discussion with you.

When she stares down at me with her slanted almond eyes, it felt like she was the Alpha and I her Pack member. Though her body was physically smaller in size, she commanded the attention of others just by the way she held herself. Even if she was bleeding out of her ears, her snout and her eyes. It was difficult looking at her. Especially with the weight of knowing I was the one that caused this to happen to her.

She scared me, in a way different from the Wolf King.

Me, on the other hand, half my body glopped in dried clay, rest of me covered in poop like a chocolate-coated candy, now I felt small.

But powering through those emotions, I put on a brave voice and respond positively to her. With all these new additions, there was more things I needed to do.

Sure. Sure! Do you think you can discuss with me as we walk out? I need to go and make sure the Wolf King’s okay.

Lowering her head gracefully, she lopes ahead of me, silver bushy tail flicking behind her.

Yes.

The distance to the cave entrance was short.

After 2 steps in that direction together, she stops and turns to me.

Cocking her head and narrowing her eyes towards me looking up at her, wondering why she stopped, she asks:

You are the Alpha now. Can you heal us?

My skin underneath the feathers seem to pebble as I feel cold underneath it all. Did she know??? That I was the cause of her condition!??

47