Chapter 79
744 9 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chik! Chik!

I don’t know why you want me to trim your hair, Andvari. Give it a good wash and it would’ve been fine as is.

Chik!

I tell him as I snip the last knot out of his hair with my beak.

Never thought the day would come when my Razor Bite skill would be used like this.

This is good, Lady. 

This is important for you, Andvari?

Crixus interjects, finally back from his training. His entire body glistened wetly from a dip in the lake. The curly mane that usually spilled down his back was now slicked back, making his bull’s head appear even meaner, the tan-black horns piercing into the sky.

The strands of vines that wove out of his shoulders had grown thicker, taking on the appearance of an arm that ended at the wrist, although the arm itself was still to thin and out of balance with the rest of Crixus’ body.

He sat leaning forward on those plant arms, watching as I groomed the dwarf.

Yes. Very much so.

With shaking hands, Andvari pats the ground and feels the strands of hair on the ground. His other hand strokes down, from the top of his head, to his long brown beard, both of which I’d given the slightest of trims.

The occasion is right. We are birthing a forge today.

He lets go of the strands, clean fingers weaving strands of hair and beard together in an intricate style, which the dwarf ties together with smaller pieces of Igni Alumen.

Grimacing at Andvari’s word choice, I nod. We weren’t birthing anything. Yet from the way Andvari’s excitement began to build as the aspects of his forge began to come together, I was catching some of that giddiness too.

Building a forge was as good cause as any to celebrate. Since Andvari was getting himself cleaned up, I’d taken the liberty of making everyone else follow his example.

Next to us, Greenie sat sharpening his nails into claws with the rock like I showed him. He was cleaning up as well, having finished rubbing the flecks of poop and dirt off himself until the goblin was finally the same shade of green all around.

Except for the bottoms of his feet. That was my secret weapon. No way was I letting him try to sand it off.

I’m glad we have something to celebrate. There’s been too much sadness recently.

Hearing my words, Boudicea raises her head, interrupted from her nap. 

I can feel her gaze on me, knowing exactly what I’m talking about, but I don’t look back at her. Killing the wolves wasn't the only thing.

But she doesn’t say anything, licking her mates’ cheek when he ambles by to check on her.

Greenie smiles when I waddle toward him instead, holding out a black feather I must’ve shed somewhere. He points at Andvari’s hair, braided now with small bits of the silver Alumen catching the firelight.

I stare at my wings. These wing-fingers could pick things up but braiding was still a far-off skill.

I can’t braid, but I can put this feather in your hair, Greenie.

Yes, Master.

He closes his eyes in bliss as I carefully comb through his thin dark hair, twisting the feather in as best I can without hurting him.

Something taps me gently on the back, interrupting my careful grooming.

I can do the next part. You should clean yourself as well.

It was Andvari, with Crixus behind him. Crixus must have told him what I was doing. The tall minotaur behind Andvari nods, pointing with the green sprout growing from his arm to the helmet full of water he’d brought back from the lake as well. I didn't realize it'd been for me.

My heart squeezes with warmth. He’d brought that back? For me?

Seeing the exchange between us, Greenie narrows his eyes, but he doesn’t say anything when I stop.

Would that be okay, Greenie? I ask.

Greenie nods quietly, watching me go as I fly to perch on the edge of the helmet. What a sight to see. I looked the worst out of this entire Unkindness. It was the usual me, covered in brown poop and dried cakey green- blue clay.

I even had some dirty feathers falling out, stuck only to my body by the same dirty mixture. I want to be clean!

Plop!

Leaning forward, I drop into the water filled helmet and go to town on scrubbing my body, as best as my beak allowed.

As soon as Greenie’s own braid, one long one that gathers the thin strand atop his head into a mohawk and trails down to his neck, was done, he comes helps me too.

Immersed in the cleaning process, I jerk when something settles atop my head when I finally climb out of the now filthy helmet.

I try not to shiver when carefully, Crixus dries me off with the leaves of his sprout-arm at the same time.

What is this?

A gift for the Lady.

The dwarf gives me a soft smile, the others showing their excitement behind him.

They all added their bit to it, and I put it together. Andvari adds.

I can feel the general outline of a crown? Atop my head, and I excitedly waddle back to the helmet so I don’t accidentally knock it off.

Peering over the edge into the murky water I can make out…

It was a crown of flowers, entwined with bits and pieces of metals and stones. I don’t know where Andvari got all these different stones, but they did look pretty. The stones shined in hues of burnt orange, deep blue, and a soft green which reminded me of a peacock’s feather.

This felt a lot more like a makeover in a teen rom-com. But I wasn’t mad about it. No, just the opposite!

Holding the crown atop my head with one wing, I spin on my talon.

Thank you!! Thank you, everyone!

I haven’t felt this feminine in ages!!

I can feel their warm gazes on me as I trace the small crown on my head again. Holding back the urge to cry, I bow my head at the ground.

 It felt like I had a family back again. A home. 

I missed this so badly. I missed my mom, my dad, my stinky sister, even. I wish they could see me now, surrounded by strange and fantastical beings in the wild of a different world.

E-hem.

Lady.

Could you sing for us? Lady? You promised when the time was right. The birth of a forge is a good time, yes?

Andvari asks, hope in his expression making his features soft. With his face cleaned, hair and beard braided and thin body wiped clean, he appeared much younger than when we’d first met.

A song? Alpha can sing?

Capo asks.

The wolves perk their ears, looking confused as much as their former leader. Boudicea’s ears flick, listening to our conversation.

I- I guess I could. 

But all that popped up in my head was one of my Dad’s favorite songs. The roiling wave of homesickness rocks into my gut.

Taking a deep breath, I respond to the hopeful expressions of the trio.

I’ll teach you a song.

Softly, I begin to sing the first verse.

Almost Heaven, West Virginia

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River

Andvari closes his eyes, listening to the melody.

The next words remind me of our home here, where we lived now. Yet at the same time, it inexplicably brought me back to memories of my father, listening to the words as he worked at his desk.

Gaining confidence, I sing louder.

Life is old there, older than the trees

Younger than the mountains, growing like a breeze

From within the cave, one by one, the few still sick sleeping wolves awaken. Poking their head out in curiosity at the song, the wolves slowly lope out, supported by their healthy packmates.

Country roads, take me home

There were no roads here to take me home, I think to myself. Seeing Greenie shifting on his feet in time to my cadence, I continue.

To the place I belong

West Virginia, mountain mama

Take me home, country roads

Gulping back the breath of loneliness, I end the song after the first chorus. This song..I couldn’t sing it by myself. It reminded me too much of my father.

My eyes flutter closed, preparing myself to put on a bright image once I had to open them again. This was a celebration for Andvari’s forge. I didn’t need to wallow in loneliness here. They probably didn't like the song anyways. I was no singer, no matter how goo dmy mimicry skills were-

Country road-!

!!!

I rear back in surprise when a deep voice begins singing the song’s chorus back to me. 

Take me home-!

Bringing his hand to his mouth, he touches his thumb to his lips and holds it out to me in the same gesture from before.

To the place..

Where I belong!

I sing again, this time together with the dwarf. It didn’t feel so lonely when it was the two of us singing like this.

Andvari thumps his stomach with a clenched fist, joining my song in harmony. My eyes widen. His voice, low enough to make the bones rumble, welds smoothly with my own soft tenor.

Our two voices intertwine as one. Night falls, leaving only the light of the flames flickering against our faces as we sang together.

Again! Capo cries, tail thumping in time to the music.

Cwonty Raaaaad! Greenie joins in. His pronounciation was way off, but I forgave him for it because of how much he seemed to be enjoying himself.

TAKE ME HOMEEE! The minotaur bellows, hooves pounding in time to the music.

AWOOOOOO!

The wolves ears flickering in time with the music, they begin to howl, weaving in their harmony to form the tapestry of our song.

Together we sing until our throats dry, a spirit of camaraderie in the air that ebbs the pulsing wound of homesickness torn open in my heart.

Ding~!

[Evolution available for Kin: Andvari. Would you like to evolve him into a Crude Dwarfsmith? ]

The notification window shakes slightly, hovering at the corner of my vision. 

That- was new..Smile freezing on my face, I watch in trepidation at what would happen next-

After a slight delay, another notification window pops up.

[Ildrig is amused by your actions.]

[Ildrig offers you a gift, and an offer of exchange.]

[New Dwarf species path released!]

[Evolution available for Kin: Andvari. Would you like to evolve him into a Jolly Ditty Smith? ]

35