Chapter 5: Mental Preparations
130 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yovan was in the darkest part of the inn. Even though secluded and alone, he could still hear the murmur of the crowd. Somehow it relaxed him. He turned his glass of beer around constantly, savouring the smell. As a teenager, this was how he imagined most of his days as an adventurer would be. Once in a blue moon taking a quest, making a lot of money and then enjoying and exploring vices that the world had to offer. He had a nice run, all the same.

"Please tell me you are not working for the Warlock now?"

It seems he has become quite popular. Yovan pulled his hood over his head and took a sip of beer. He really shouldn't let distractions spoil his mood. Lina moved in front of him, lowering herself to better see his face under the leather cover.

"There is a rumor in the city that you are now working for the Warlock. Is it true?"

"Fuck off."

"I feel like I always say the same thing to you, but what were you thinking? How could you work for that madman? I thought making a forgery of hunter's diploma was pathetic, but this is something else."

A wide smile appeared on Yovan's face. His eyes danced with delight.

"I didn't make a forgery."

"Yovan, please."

"I didn't. I stole it."

Lina opened her mouth to say something, but her jaw remained motionless. She shook her head as if to break the spell that held her.

"I… I don't even know what to say to that. How is that better?"

"Well, you constantly disparage me and talk how incompetent I am. This incompetent guy managed to break in the academy's vault without anyone knowing. So I have that at least."

"Yes, you really showed me…"

Silence emerged at the table. Lina used the short pause to sit down, staring at Yovan. She wasn't done. He, on the other hand, looked anywhere else. His mouth grinning with contempt.

"Are you going to explain yourself at least?"

"Nope."

"Ugh. Tell me at least, what did you want so much to go to him? Money? Power?"

"My life."

Lina blinked in confusion. She searched Yovan's face for some meaning to the words but couldn't find any.

"I don't understand. Are you dying?"

"More or less. He summoned me to do a quest for him, which is impossible. And also he cursed me, so if I don't finish the quest in two weeks, I'll die."

"Wait, so he summoned you? We all thought you went to him."

Yovan burst out in laughter. He almost knocked down his beer, while holding down his belly. His companion wasn't as amused. Her ears reddened, her eyebrows lowered, her arms crossed. She waited for him to finish.

"I guess I'm not the only idiot around here. Not your brightest moment Lina, if I may point the obvious."

"But that doesn't make sense. Why you? You're a nobody."

"Thanks."

"You know what I mean."

"He saw me when we fought with that demon. And for some reason he thought I was 'perfect' for the job."

Lina's eyes widened. She started tapping her fingers on the table in a fast rhythm.

"If he knows about you, that means he knows about my party as well..."

"Of course he knows about you. He didn't mention you, but you can bet he knows."

"By the gods. He let loose demons before, but he never seemed to care if someone slayed them."

"If I were you I wouldn't take that chance. You should run or hide somewhere."

"We had some plans here, but I guess you are right."

They locked eyes in silence for a few moments. Yovan then dropped his gaze to his hands and took a deep breath. For the first time since he returned from the Warlock, he felt sad.

"What is the quest by the way?"

"I have to go with two of his demons to slay Sonblast, then take his soul and find a mage that will merge the dragon's soul with mine."

"For heaven's sake. And the curse, is it unbreakable?"

Yovan pulled his shirt to the and showed his left shoulder. A large patch of coal and scab moved on its own. Lina investigated the curse, touching the skin at the base and moving her head left and right, analyzing it from every direction. At last, she slid back to her chair and looked away.

"So what's your plan?"

"No plans. No plans at all."

"You can't just spend the whole night getting wasted."

"Don't be ridiculous. You need money to get wasted. I'm only sipping my one beer."

In demonstration, Yovan rose his cup high, as if he was making a toast, brought it back to his mouth and gulped down a couple of swigs. As he lowered back his cup, he let out a deep sigh of satisfaction. The girl shook her head and rose to her feet, prepared to leave. She took out a silver coin and put it gently on the table.

"I told you already. I don't need your charity."

"This isn't a charity. I expect that you repay me in full the next time we see each other. Just don't stay here all night."

With that, she left. Probably needed to warn her friends and skip town as fast as possible. Yovan felt a little jealous at the thought. He finished his beer and took the coin in his hand.


"Wakey, wakey."

A soft voice called through Yovan's dreams. He swung his arm to chase it away, but something held it in place. He raised his head, only to see a succubus sitting on him in his bed. It was Halia.

"What the…"

"Ohhhh, I just thought you needed something nice to start a day with. I bet yesterday was quite stressful."

"How did you get in here?"

"Iii've just asked where is your room and the innkeeper let me in. Who could say no to Lord N00bpwn3r's favourite demon?"

"Ok, I'm fully awake now. I'll prepare immediately."

Yovan tried to get up, but Halia pinned him down with her hands, squirming over him with her lower body. She chuckled a little, showing her fangs and a glint of crazy in her eyes.

"We have some time. I think it would be best to get to know each other deeply first."

"I'm not sure this is a good idea."

"Hush, all of my mates enjoyed the ecstasy of their lives before I ate them."

Slightly panicked, the hunter pushed back at the demon.

"No, this is highly unprofessional. We need to focus on the quest. I can get highly attached after physical intimacy and do stupid things. And I could compromise the whole quest. And neither of us wants to disappoint Lord N00bpwn3r, right?"

Succubus stopped moving. She was really annoyed. Yovan didn't know much about them, but he was sure he didn't make a good first impression. She jumped onto his stomach with her legs spread, and leapt to the side as a giant rabbit.

"Youuuu are such a borrrre. Come on then. Get ready fast."

Finally freed, Yovan jumped to do as he was told. He gathered his boots, shirt and leather armor. As he leaned to pick up his pants, he felt a gentle hand squeezing his but.

"Hey! What are you doing?!"

"You can tell a lot about a man by his tush. I just wanted to know what kind of a person you are."

"Ask next time! Please. I promise I'll answer honestly."

Halia closed her left eye and shook her index finger at him.

"A-a-a. This way is faster. And more fuuun."

"Depends for whom…"

After one hour Yovan was ready. He was in his battle gear. Covered in his leather armor that was smudged with blood and dirt. His weapons by his side, his bag full with food and medicine for the trip. He pushed for the door, only to be stopped in front by a tail. Halia was wiggling with it in front of him.

"What now?", asked Yovan.

"Would you like to kiss my tail?"

"Why would I want to do that?"

"In demonic culture, kissing a succubus' tail is considered good luck."

Yovan exhaled with defeat. He will need all the luck heaven can provide. He grabbed Halia's tail and gave it a quick, dry kiss. And with his luck improved, a human and a demon left in their search for the dragon Sonblast.

But first, after fifteen minutes, Yovan had to return for the summoning stone the Warlock gave him. And then their true quest started.

4