Chapter 14: Interlude: The Necromancer
86 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So much to do, so much to do, so little time. Who would've thought that the more powerful you are, the less time you had for yourself? A tall, slim figure, and pale like the sun and moon never saw him, inspected his troops of undead warriors, death knights, and liches. Bryan always thought that people in power had it easy. They would have their underlings deal with boring stuff, and they would just enjoy everything to their heart's desire. Truth is, it was difficult finding competent underlings, not to mention that most of Bryan's servants were undead so they required constant orders to be useful. And he could not forsake his harem either. The girls would get very disappointed if he didn't visit them every day. 

He walked around his throne room, his girls waiting anxiously for him. Most people couldn't see emotions on undead, but Bryan wasn't like other men. He knew them so well; he could understand them even if they didn't move a muscle. And a lot of them didn't even have muscles. Some of them were just skeletons, some were decomposing, missing skin, ears or some other organ. Newer additions were in great shape but that wouldn't last. Rotten smell was also something he could do without, although in a fit of passion he didn't notice it at all. If he could only find a way to stop the decay of the undead, he could enjoy the companionship of his girls for much longer.

It wasn't always like this. Before coming to this world, Bryan lived in a world where he was never appreciated. Only people who understood him were other men from the incel community. It was there that Bryan understood how the world really worked. He knew why back on Earth he couldn't get a date, why women were so cold to him, and reject his every advance. And now? Now, they were still cold, but would never say no. He turned towards two of his death knights. It was time to make a new addition to his harem.

"I am ready. Bring in the next one."

Death knights immediately marched out of the room and returned with a young woman in their hands. She had long, brown hair, thin arms, and prominent cheekbones, just how he liked it. Tears were streaming down her face into the cloth that gagged her mouth. Bryan removed the cloth and lush, pink lips appeared. He preferred the ocean blue lips, but that was easy to fix. The girl sobbed and whispered as her lower lip trembled.

"Please… Don't hurt me…"

"Don't worry. You were selected to join my royal harem. You should feel honored."

The girl looked around, looking for other people, but everywhere were just undead. Her face turned to horror in realization.

"Please, there's no need for that. I'll marry you willingly. Just… Don't kill me please!"

The girl's dishonesty brought mirth to Bryan. Before, he would burst in a fit of rage at manipulations like this, but he has learned how to deal with women.

"No, no, no. Let you live? So that you can cheat the first chance you get?"

"I will be faithful, I promise, my Lord! I will love you with all my heart. Don't turn me into an undead, I beg of you!"

"Hah, love. Women can't feel love. You can't love. Women never developed complex emotions since you don't need them. You are just like sheep, you will follow the biggest ram, but once another, stronger comes you will switch to him without any loyalty or regard. It isn't even your fault. It's how nature made you. But I can fix that now."

Bryan took out a dagger from his sleeve and ordered his knights to turn her around. She screamed and kicked but it was futile resistance to the death knights grip. Bryan gauged where he should stab in her back. He found a perfect spot on her upper left side and prepared his dagger.

"My Lord, Lordx Bealuna wishes to speak to you." One of his liches entered the room and destroyed the moment they were having.

"You fool! Can't you see I'm busy? Bealuna's emissary can wait, I have more important business."

"But my Lord, it's not an emissary. Lordx Bealuna is here in flesh."

That was surprising. Bryan sheathed his dagger and waived the death knights to move away.

"He is here in person? This… is interesting. He's more desperate than I thought he would be. Where is he?"

"He is in the banquet hall," the lich said while cold breath poured from his mouth. "Should I bring him here?"

"No. I will go to him. I have a feeling this should be a more personal meeting."

Bryan entered the banquet hall. It was a room he usually used to dine with his harem. Well, he would eat, the girls would just keep him company. It had a big table, big enough for all of his two hundred girls, with splendid decorations of paintings and chandeliers. And in the giant room, he found only one person. Yes, he was very desperate.

"Connor, it has been so long. How are you?"

"Please Bryan, there's no need to be snarky. And my name is Bealuna. Please use it."

Bryan motioned his guest to sit and pulled another chair for himself.

"Bealuna, N00bpwn3r, Lilith… You know, I never understood this obsession with changing your name."

"It is a new world and a new beginning. It was a perfect opportunity to start over."

"Changing your name does nothing. We are still the same people we were back on Earth. The people of this world may not know you, but I do. And I'll tell you, the difference between Bealuna and Connor, or Eric and N00bpwn3r, nonexistent."

Bealuna looked away, his lips pursed, and his chin wrinkled.

"I… I did not come here to discuss our names. We have a more important issue."

"Yes, I've heard about your excursion to Kamenar. Also heard that Eric whooped your ass in the end."

"He has always been the strongest. I thought if I could surprise him, I could get the upper hand. But I was wrong…"

Bryan opened a bottle of red wine and poured a glass for Bealuna and himself.

"And now here you are."

"Yes, yes, here I am. Surprised?"

"No, actually. We both know Julia would never work with you. I just didn't expect you to come in person."

Bealuna swirled his glass slowly and brought the glass to his nostrils.

"You know when we were transported here, I thought Julia and I could be real friends and allies. Funny how wrong that was."

"That's a terf for you. I always told you man, women in power are a terrible thing. They're incapable of empathy and can't see past their pathetic brains. But even though I know why you are here; I don't see why I should meddle in yours and Eric's fight."

There was a moment of silence. Bealuna stared at the glass in his hands. Bryan was a bit amused at his reaction but decided to wait until the Mentalist was ready to continue.

"He stole my ritual for a soul merge."

Bryan finally rolled his eyes at the unnecessary theatrics.

"That's it? Who cares about some stupid soul merge, it isn't even that useful. You don't actually get the powers from the new soul."

"You don't get it! You don't! It's Eric we're talking about. He wouldn't do this if it wasn't important. I wouldn't be surprised if he found a way to actually break the system. And if he did, he could easily become more powerful than all of us combined!"

"I see. You don't actually know why he stole it and it frightens you. I understand that. Why haven't you brainwashed some of his servants to get more information? Or get access to him?"

With that, Bealuna leapt from his seat and started pacing up and down.

"Don't call it brainwashing! It's a strong mind suggestion technique. And I tried, but he has only two human servants and he holds them on a tight leash. Anyone other is a demon. He even keeps a harem of demons to fuck instead of humans. That paranoid monster."

"Well if he is right, he isn't paranoid, now is he? Humans are a liability. I'm guessing you've learned that the hard way."

It seems he hit the spot as Bealuna looked at him with a sour look. His guest returned to his seat and took a more dignified demeanor. Bryan enjoyed teasing him, but he probably shouldn't push him for now.

"All right, I understand. Eric is dangerous. I'll help you deal with him. But in turn, you'll help me conquer Julia."

"You want Julia's land?" Bealuna asked with a confused expression. 

Bryan chuckled at the suggestion.

"Why would I need more dirt?! No, I want Julia. Alive. Or at least her body should be in reasonable condition."

Bealuna widened his eyes, then discreetly swallowed his spit. He squirmed in his seat, trying to conceal it but failing. Jesus, even in this world with this amount of power, he was still a beta.

"Do we have a deal?"

"Yes. Yes, we have. You help me with Eric, and I will help you with Julia."

A great turn of events for Bryan. Killing two birds with one stone, and then all he would need to do was to defeat this pathetic excuse for a mage. He offered a handshake and looked deep into the Mentalist's eyes, brimming with confidence. Bealuna hesitated for a moment but with a decisive movement grabbed his ally's hand. The pact was sealed.

"Good. If that was all, I was in the middle of a very important task before this."

"Yes, we will be in touch to discuss further plans of action. For now, this is all. Farewell."

The guest got up from his chair and went for the exit.

"Oh, Bealuna one more thing," the Necromancer said, stopping the Mentalist on the door. "From now on we will use my undead for communication. No humans."

There was no answer from Beluna. He just looked at Bryan before turning back again and then left the room. This guy wasn't cut out for war, but Bryan had no time to think about him any longer. If he was to have Julia forever, he needed to find a solution to the decomposing body problem.

He returned to his throne room where he was greeted again by a sight of his soldiers, and his beautiful wives. His bride-to-be was still pinned down by two death knights, crying desperately. He took out his dagger again and grabbed her by the neck. He slid his dagger into the left side of her back, piercing her heart. It wasn't easy to find a woman's heart. It took a lot of practice for Bryan to learn to stab it consistently. He felt her life energy dissipate from her body and soul. There wasn't anything else to it. She was dead.

"Release her."

Immediately, two death knights relinquished their hold and she slid down on the floor. A small pool of blood dripped out from her back. It was time. Bryan raised and stretched his arms, then looked upwards while the magical essence poured from every aperion he had. The essence of death, air, and water coalesced into one fountain of raging energy. He sculpted it, morphed it into the shape of a woman, and then directed it at the body lying on the floor. The water essence flowed through the now dormant fluids and reinvigorated them into circulation. The air essence took over the muscles and bones, giving them new power of motion. And lastly, death essence filled the void that the soul left behind, forging an unbreakable link between the caster and the bride. Bryan was curious to see how well she turned out.

"Rise."

The girl started moving her hands, trying to push herself up. She smeared her right hand with blood from the puddle, and nearly slipped the first time. But she persisted and stood valiantly in front of him. She stared into one spot. Unblinking. Quiet. Bryan smiled and caressed her cheek. She was still warm.

"Come now. I want to enjoy this the whole night."

He put his arm gently around her waist, and they slowly walked down in sync to his bedroom chamber, like a couple in a ball, walking to dance.

1