A Tale as Old as Time
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"How annoying,"

Kain says as he slays another demon. The man's tall figure hovers over the scum-wearing-human-skin, who lay sprawled on the ground with a dagger buried in its back. The holy dagger starts to glows and burst into flames with a bang. 

Its body explodes into gold dust, the blond covers his nose before he can inhale the dangerous substance. Everything happened so fast, yet this is a daily routine for an angel to clean these demonic scum off the face of the Earth. He watches the scenery while his dagger drops with a silent clatter in the alleyway.

"One more to go." Kain blows the dust off his suit.

Another demon jumps from behind, thinking she had the advantage over him. Yet, all Kaleb did is turn around and grab her by the neck. She struggles as he watches in amusement for a while, until he turns bored. His hand starts to sizzle and create sparks of fire .

"No—Noooo!" She shrieks in pain.

"I hope your buddies from Hell are a lot smarter than you two. God knows, an Angel hates when his breaks are interrupted by ruffians." Kain takes his cigar out his pocket, so he can use the calm flames that were slowly eating away at the demon's vessel to light the end.

The demon explodes, turning into ash along with his favorite glove. A sigh leaves his thin lips when he realizes that he'll have to buy another one like this again. The blond continues walking home under the dawning sky, smoking his last cigar for the day, thinking that nothing else can be worse than this. 

Of course— he had to be wrong.

The night throws a fastball for the morning to catch.

A coffee in one hand and the wonderfully made croissant in his other. Sadly, he can't enjoy his breakfast in peace today. A moment, he will never forget is around the corner. 

Someone, who will knock him off his feet, rides a bike like a speed demon with her curls flying in the wind, and some screaming guy holding onto her for dear life.

"Jesus take the wheel!" Luke cries in his mother tongue, not knowing he changed from North Koralin to South Koralin in seconds.

Sahara simply laughs her head off with a deranged look in her eyes. "You don't need some random dead man to do the dirty work when you have a devil!" She continues to laugh like a mad man as Luke starts to cry for an extra pair of life.

 No matter how anyone tries, the scene is difficult to look at. They were both covered in dirt, leaves, and twigs, while Luke's bad luck hit him in the head with birds' waste. They are definitely going to be late for class. Sahara thought the morning cannot be any worse.

Of course, she is absolutely wrong.

Taking a wide turn then stabilizing the wobbly bike, she failed to see Kain in front of her. At almost top speed, she did a hit-and-run with no remorse for the angel. Knocking the poor guy off his feet, she accidentally steals his croissant as it flies into her mouth.

Kain didn't know what hit him. He did a whole backflip before hitting the pavement face flat. What he did know was that some asshole demon stole his croissant. This is something he will not let slide! He conveniently snatches a bike from some random teen walking by.

"Hey, what ar—" The girl couldn't say nothing as a wad of cash is thrown at her.

"Shut up and take my money!" Kain grits out before hopping onto the pink bike, chasing after that croissant-stealing-fiend with supernatural speed.

The chase is on!

Upfront, our dare-devil starts to feel a chill run down the back of her neck. "Damn, who's walking over my grave?" She murmurs to herself, wondering where that murderous vibe is coming from. She looks left and right to see nothing out of the ordinary.

Meanwhile, Kain is closing the distance as he murmurs to himself like a maniac. It's quite concerning actually, but I digress. From side to side, he weaves through traffic, bulging veins on his forehead as he thinks about strangling the girl.

From her side mirrors, Sahara finally spots Kain chasing. Her blood starts to race from excitement. On the other hand, Luke was not feeling it.

"Whatever you are thinking don't even think about it!" He hisses between clenched teeth, nauseous from the rollercoaster of a ride.

"Tch, fine. I swear you're worse than my mom." Sahara rolls her eyes at the fragile human.

"And who fault is that?" Luke screams over the wind.

"Obviously you, or we would not be in this situation in the first place." Sahara shot back as she moves off the streets and into an alley.

Luke pouts as he knows the reason why they are late is because of his bad luck.

"Hold on, we are going for a little lift," the little devil giggles.

"What—ahhhhh!" Again, Luke screams his head off. They fly high in the sky. Behind them, Kain rides fast and follow, jumping off a makeshift ramp. They drop down to the lower section of Starlin city.

"Good." Sahara laugh, "I didn't think this old bike would actually survive." The she-devil smiles.

Luke face pales. "Then, why did you do it?"

Sahara looks at her phone's GPS, knowing they are getting closer to their destination. "Because Luke, I said I would help you. I will protect you." She pedals faster as the bike groans and wobbles from the pressure.

He holds on tighter to her, and rest his head on her shoulder. His heart beats a little faster than usual. When was the last time anyone took care of him or said something so comforting. He can't remember. "But my bike—"

"I will buy you a new one, if that does not satisfy you, then I will learn how to fix your bike myself."

She finally sees the scho— is that an old military barrack?

"Luke? Is this—"

Luke only hums a yes, too tired to say actual words. He still didn't have much sleep; the bags under his eyes can attest to that.

They stop at the front of the school where a humble fish fountain stands. Ten minutes to spare. They get off the bike, ready to go to class.

"Where the hell do you think you're going!" A handsome, ruffled man walks angrily to them. A vain bulging on his forehead.

Sahara steps up. Her mind is screaming at her to kill him. And she is sure, the angel is thinking the same thing. The angel grabs her by the collar, his gold eyes carrying so much animosity and anger that she can taste it. She laughs.

"What the hell is going on?" Luke anxiously looks at the both of them.

Sahara gives Luke a toothy smile. "Angels and demons. A tale as old as time."

0