Ch.5 The Fall
42 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I then told my Brother about the plan that I wanted to do to help my Father. I also asked him to help me with it.

 

“And why should I help you, Lotte?”

“Because then our family can be together again?”

“We were never together though.”

“That’s...”

“*sigh* you’re too good for this family”

“What did you say?”

“Nothing. So that kitchen accident was your plan to help Father?”

“Yes.”

“That will simply not work.”

“!”

“As I said, when I get the best score in the academy Father didn’t even blink, I really doubt that cooking him something would do anything.”

“But then what should I do...”

“Hmm… Lotte, how convincing is your acting?”

“Acting?”

The next morning I was hiding behind the stairs in the main hallway in our mansion. Father always went to work at exactly 6 in the morning. It was 5:56 so I needed to wait here for a little bit. Brother would distract the butler and Father’s aids so I could be alone with him. When Father waited for the others to arrive I would go to hug him and never let go. Then while he couldn’t go anywhere I will act as cute as I can. Like my Brother said I need to do a really convincing acting here. He also said that this is maybe Father's last hope, and if he still doesn't have any reaction after this then Brother will spread a rumor that Father was a zombie all along.    

 

When the clock showed 5:59 I could see Father walking down from the stairs, just as punctual as usual. I immediately stood up and came out from my hiding place. I ran towards him as fast as I could before I realized that he wasn’t facing my way. 

 

“Father!”

 

When I called him I saw my Father turned around, he looked really tired. Unfortunately, I don’t know if it was because I was just thinking of Father’s face or because I was too happy that the plan was proceeding smoothly, I tripped over my own feet and I landed head first on the marbled floor. At first I didn’t feel anything so I tried to get up to continue running, but then I felt something warm come out of my nose. My mouth tasted like iron. It seemed that I had a nosebleed. And with that realisation the pain started coming to me. However I tried to hold back my tears as best as I could, I didn’t want to cry in front of Father after meeting him for the first time in a while. As I tried to get up again I heard a hurried step heading my way.

 

“Charlotte!!”

Before I could see what was going on my body was lifted from the floor. I looked up and I saw my Father holding me. His tired eyes are now wide open. He frantically reached into his suit and pulled out his handkerchief, then he gently wiped the blood off my nose.

 

“Charlotte, are you okay?”

“Father?”

“Wait a minute okay.”

 

Not waiting for me to answer him, Father ran towards the mansion’s salon. There he gently put me on the sofa and yelled for the butler. He looked around the room and darted towards a table full of refreshment then he grabbed a jug of water and poured a glass. He came back to my side and helped me drink the water from the glass.

 

“Charlotte, drink some water first, okay?”

*nod*

“Does it hurt anywhere? ”

“My head and foot hurt.”

“Wait here patiently, I will look for the butler and then find a doctor for you.”

 

Just then the door of the salon burst open and Butler came in the room in a hurry followed by my Brother.

 

“Milord, I heard you are looking for me. I’m deeply sorry for the tardiness I was...”

“It doesn't matter. Hurry find the family physician and call him here!”

“What? But… Right away, Milord.”

 

The butler bowed then ran out of the room just as fast as when he entered it. It seemed that he was going to say something to Father but stopped halfway and followed Father’s order. I thought that the matter was settled with that, all we needed to do was to wait for the physician and I would be given some medicine or bandage, but the problem was about to get even bigger.

 

“Father, what happened?”

“Charlotte fell down and her nose is bleeding.”

“WHAT?! Lotte are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?”

“Why is the butler taking so long?”

“Father I will go and find the physician myself.”

“No, I will do it, you stay here with Charlotte.”

“No, I will be faster.”

“No, I need you here to take care of your Sister.”

 

This was the first time I saw both my Brother and Father panicking like this, usually Father would face any problem expressionlessly like a machine and Brother would just smile while giving people the instruction needed to control the situation. However, right now both of them were so agitated that they couldn’t even think straight. They were arguing  with each other about getting the physician themselves even though I’m sure it would be faster just to wait for the butler to come back. 

 

This back and forth from Brother and Father continued until the physician entered the room. The old physician, Randolph or Randy for short, and the butler were huffing and puffing hard as they came in. It seemed that they ran all the way here from wherever Randy was. After regaining a bit of his breath Randy looked at three of us to see who was the one that needed his expertise. He then walked closer to the sofa where I was sitting and opened his bag.

 

“How do you feel, Milady?”

“My head and feet hurt.”

“Ah, did you fall?”

“Yes...”

“No worry, No worry, I will remove the pain right away.”

 

He then started the treatment. He first asked me to tilt my head up. He then took a small vial from his bag, put some drops on a piece of cloth and put the cloth on my forehead. He took a bandage, put some drops on it and this time he tied it around my ankle. When this all happened Father and Brother was looking intently at the process without even blinking.

 

“And we’re done. Please stay like that for a few minutes and try not to do too much walking and you will be fine, milady.”

“Randy, how is she?”

“She is fine, it’s only a little injury. Kids fall all the time, Milord, you don’t have to worry.”

“What!?”

“Ah, I mean kids in general, Milord.”

“So, what do we need to do to make Lotte better?”
“Ah, young master, you just need to let her rest. Injuries like these are best to heal by itself.”

“Thank you, Randy, you can go back now.”

“Thank you, Milord.”

 

Randy stepped out of the room after the small talk with Father and Brother. Sensing the atmosphere the butler also excused himself and left the three of us in the room. My Brother looked at me worryingly, but since I was feeling fine after the first aid that Randy applied to me I nodded my head to him. This time Brother turned his attention towards Father, I think it was time for us to have a talk.

2