Ch.9 Surprise
23 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was sitting at the gazebo that was located in the garden. Mom told me to just wait here for Mother’s personal maid to come. People said that this garden was here from a long time ago, even before the Lamollet family lived here. I honestly enjoyed my time in the garden, maybe because I usually spent my time in the mansion without going out too much. The garden was filled with flowers in various colors. It was wasted though as I never saw the garden ever used for anything. I heard that nobles usually would hold tea parties in this kind of place. 

 

Waiting for the arrival of Mother’s maid I looked around the gazebo I couldn’t see anybody else beside myself. I realized this after the meal with Father and Brother, the reason the mansion felt lonely for me was simply because there was a wall between me and everybody else. While there were many people around me all of them didn’t dare to strike a conversation or even look at me. I knew that was what they were taught and felt that that teaching is wrong. Many other nobles might disagree with me but when I spent my time like that I felt really isolated. I was treated less like a person and more like a ghost that shouldn’t be disturbed. I did wonder though why the servants of the mansion were so fearful. I didn’t recall anybody from my family treating them badly. Sure we weren’t the greatest people but at least we didn’t punish people when they didn’t do anything wrong. 

 

I heard footsteps approaching me from the entrance of the garden. As I turned around I saw there was an old woman wearing a maid uniform walking towards me. I already knew without her introducing herself that she was Mother’s personal maid. One of the few that she brought from her own house years ago.

 

“Milady, I believe you called for me?”

“Ah yes, thank you for coming, how about you take a seat?”

“I prefer standing, milady.”

“I prefer you sit across me though.”

 

I realized that I unconsciously furrowed my brows. I hurriedly tried to return my expression to normal when I heard a soft laugh coming from the maid. I was surprised to hear her soft voice that was much different from the stiff one that she used to greet me with.

 

“Is there anything funny?”

“No, Milady.”

“Then why are you laughing?”

“Because you really remind me of your Mother, Milady.”

“I and Mother?”

“Yes, the way you furrowed and the way you are being stubborn.”

 

Smiling, the old maid pulled one of the chairs and sat on it. The way she sat down reminded me of my etiquette tutor, it was graceful. 

 

“Um, What’s your name?”

“My name is Anastasia.”

“Oh. Hello Anastasia.”

“Hello to you to Milady.”

“Uuhh, I invited you here to discuss something with you. It’s about Mother.”

“You want to help her go out of her room more often, correct?”

“Yes! But how do you know?”

“Martha told me beforehand about it.”

“Ah so that’s why. So what can I do to help Mother?”

 

Anastasia laughed softly again and got up from her chair. She then urged me to follow her. We were walking back towards the mansion. 

 

I wondered what kind of thing that she wanted to show me. Maybe she had something that was important for Mother. If I could get that thing I could put it in the garden and Mother would have to walk out and grab it. However that was stealing and I know Father won’t be happy if he finds out.

 

We entered the mansion and walked towards Mother’s room. I wanted to ask Anastasia what she was trying to show me but she gestured to me to be quiet. I wanted to greet the other servant on my way but couldn’t because of it. I could see some maids curiously watching me while I was walking though, maybe because of my destination, I never appeared in this section of the mansion after all. 

 

Observing the old maid I realized something else from our servants. They could walk without making any noise at all. I tried to copy the way they walked to no avail. Was it the shoes they were wearing? 

 

We arrived in front of Mother’s room. Anastasia once again gestured to me to keep quiet and slowly opened the door. The room was much darker than the hallway I was in. Anastasia entered the room with me following suit. She then walked towards the curtain in almost complete silence. She then pulled the curtain open with a tremendous speed making the light pour in the room almost instantaneously. 

 

With the curtain open I could see the room. It was much bigger than my room. The decorations were also much more subdued. I could also see a few doors leading to even more rooms. I think this was why Mother could get away without leaving her room. It was like a tiny mansion inside a big one. As I was admiring the room I could see the blanket on top of the bed started to move. The next moment a woman with disheveled hair emerged from under the blanket.

 

“ANNA!”

“Morning, Clarina. It is already noon though.”

“I told you to just let me sleep! I couldn’t even do the only thing I love anymore!”

“Said the lady who spent more than 10 hours a day sleeping.”

“It’s important for my beauty, it’s called beauty sleep, I read it in an article somewhere.”

“You never touched any text other than those cheap romance novels of yours, how can you even find this ‘beauty sleep’ thing?”

 

The woman on the bed was arguing with Anastasia without even noticing that I was there. Anastasia was still smiling even though she was battering words back and forth with the woman. It seemed that the two were really close with each other. Wait, was that my Mother? The usual image of the cold and beautiful image of my Mother that I had was shattered right there and then.

 

“Fuuu. Clarina.”

“What? I’m not done lecturing you yet about the importance of sleep.”

“You have a visitor.”

“Just tell them to meet me tomorrow like usual.”

“She’s already here though.”

“Huh?”

 

Anastasia turned her head and looked at me. Mother traced her line of sight and looked at me as well. Mother gasped and I was sure that I could see her face went pale. I guess this is the time to talk with Mother then?

 

“Um.. Hello, Mother.”

2