[6] Baking (Warning: involves Cooking)
719 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

------------------------------------------------------WARNING: Involves Cooking---------------------------------------------------------

 

I have zero experience in cooking anything beyond egg or instant noodles, so DO NOT try this at home

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

                                                      Location: My Room                                                  Year: 1063 AD

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

(POV: Me)

 

 

"Wake up! ...Aaaymar! Its time" Loud voices sounded through my ears, Its the third time now like a snoozer, at this point, I'm too tired to wake up and also it's too loud that I can't sleep.

 

"Aarhh" I simply groaned while dragging my ass trying to get off the bed as slow as possible so that my half-asleep state is not dispersed.

 

"Wait, where is that person waking me up?", I tried to look for him despite my eyes unwilling to open.

 

"Hey wake up you lil shit!", She was just sleeping on my bed.

 

"wake up aymaa... *INCOMPREHENSIBLE MUTTERING* stop drolling and wake up Idiot!" she keeps calling me to wake up despite being asleep herself, 'That's a Very Dangerous Passive Skill that SHOULD NOT EXIST!'.

 

I tried to wake her up but she barely budges and keeps repeating the same mantra, 'did she got tired of trying to wake me up and fell asleep?, In any case, it is almost the time, I should use the Forbidden technique to wake her.

 

"Nnnh No! Stop!" I started tickling her toes and there was no escape, but the cornered legs started counterattack by kicking my face.

 

 

'Well, This is hopeless and it's getting late, plus I don't need her to do this'.

I took my toothbrush and some charcoal which acted as toothpaste and started heading to the destinated place, the brush I use is just a thick stick with straight bristles, looks like a makeup brush or mini broom and the charcoal is a little salted so yes this shit I put in my mouth is salty and weird enough charcoal almost doesn't have any taste.

 

I headed to Manor and to one specific area where I squatted Sparta style, There is a hole in the floor leading to a stone slope thing leading outside the castle and into a ditch.

 

After the morning deed is done, I used a small water bucket and left hand to rinse the shit off of my ass, yup there are no toilet papers, Usually, someone come and wipe my butt and it feels shameful for someone else to clean me off my own shit so I do it myself and maids are explicitly relieved about it.

 

This is one of those times I miss modern Conveniences, they don't say this in most Isekai novels, but I will, not leaving every single disgusting detail.

 

 

As I was brushing while walking, I came to my destination, The Oven House, It is one of those Facilities that exist within our Oval Castle thing other than Manor House, Blacksmith, and other buildings.

 

I came inside and sat in a corner as to not disturb the people working there, The main worker here is the Miller who runs the watermill near the river outside the castle and gets here early in the cold morning as the first guy when the gates were opened, other than him rest is our family servants, men, and women.

 

The setup inside the oven house is more simple,  rye, oats, and wheat were in bags at the stone shelf at one side and the main table where flour is sifted and other processes on the other side, underneath that table, is where all the firewood are stored, there are two ovens in the middle one Big and one small, The first batch they prepare is naturally for the lord and they are made from double sifted wheat processed into bun or pretzel things. First, they fire the oven and when the fire is almost over, they clean it by taking away the ashes and putting in the goods in the oven rack before closing with a stone door thingy.

 

This is my first time watching baking, since back on the earth we had modern appliances and almost no need to bake at all, like why would you want to bake when you can buy even good shit packed in plastic bags instantly?.

 

While waiting for that thing to happen, workers, started to prepare second batch food for servants using rye, Barley, oats, and even husk, Yes these guys don't even leave husks, well turns out those are for horse food or if worst comes it'll become human food.

 

 

After my curiosity is satisfied I returned to my room with my mind still contemplating.

 

I know some may wonder why am I watching this stuff?, The answer is Simple 'Cause Medieval food Sucks and I want to make better food and to do that, I need to learn about existing basics', I had this feeling ever since I started eating solid food, At first, they gave me fresh raw milk without sweetening which I guess its to prevent dental problems and later some salty oats food, they feel either weird or makes me nauseous, sometimes bread tastes sour and I can't feel anything other than a slight amount of salt on cooked meat and most of the time I get boiled vegetables like beans, potato, and carrot, and sometimes fruits and berries from the south. 

 

The best thing our baker can make is sausage roll (the roasted whole pig doesn't count since anyone could do that, like they show in movies), it's just some spiced meat rolled in bread, honestly, the usage of spice is only for namesake and sausages look like chopped down pieces of tentacle monsters, when compared to ones back on modern earth.

 

So basically the usage of condiments is mediocre, that is they use up to a certain amount before it becomes too unbearable to eat and nothing is good like modern times, and people seem to like it because that's the best thing they can have.

 

Condiments themselves are more pricy like honey and Spices, so only nobles and merchants could afford it and what peasants can commonly use is salt in their meats.

 

Honey is common enough, at least for wealthier members of society, and basic antiseptic for poultices mostly used as sweetening or fermented into meads.

 

As for spices, they are too pricy that it was only used little for twice a month, I asked mom where are the spices and silk come from, but the answer was simple, everything comes from the south and it is said that south empire is so huge that extends to the east and they have all sort of rare stuff, and I realized everything mom or others say about south could be vague and exaggerated because no one had been beyond the Western Realm and if it is called west then there must be east, but I didn't even hear of Tea, People only know about silk, the shiny stuff that only Royalties can afford.

 

 

Now back to the subject, After observing the basic baking process and knowledge about baking from my previous world which is non-existent, I decided to make cake experimentations,

A Honey Butter Cake if you will, I mean that is the only cake I can think of making with available local resources, I can't dream of vanilla cake where I don't even know whether it is a nut-like coco, or leaf-like tea, maybe chemical perhaps I dunno,

And With how pricy and sparsely spices are used there would be no expectation of any fried chicken for a while, I would like to try experimenting with it, maybe in the future where I can afford it but not now.

As per resource-wise I'm mostly ready for this project but the problem I face now is the low shelf life of certain ingredients like milk and egg, especially milk it had to be fresh just before I make it and as for yeast, I asked more about baking and stuff from the miller cum baker guy, and from what I heard, he prepares yeast from home which takes 4 to 6 days for it to become a raising agent, and from sounds of it, it'll be easy, but whatever I'm going to do has to be kept secret, If I can't even keep cake making recipe as a secret, then nothing can be kept secret.

 

That's when I heard Chelecsia waking with a big yawn,

I went ahead and asked her, "Secret mission? what are we going to do?" she asked while rubbing her eyes,

"We're gonna bake secretly," I said secretishly,

"why? don't you already have people make white bread for you but you still want more?" she asked me like I'm some sort of greedy fat kid from 'charlie factory',

"This is not normal bread, it is honey bread, made with honey, not applied on it" I explained,

"but still why though? being secret about it" she's persistent,

"I know its sounds weird but something is better hidden than known to others", 'I did my best to convince her, Honestly how do protagonists convince people to do completely weird stuff and they just reply with 'okay' like everything was totally normal', Chelecsia's eyes widened for a second before showed some form of understanding and agreed to my bid, which surprised me I thought she would ask more questions though.

 

 

----------------One week later----------------------

 

 

 

- At Midnight-

 

 

Everything was prepared and planned every detail during this week, We sneaked out of our rooms and entered the Oven House.

 

Double checked our Ingredients and started with kneading the bread,  Sia held the bowl whereas I started kneading the flour with eggs, buttermilk and honey, it was kind of hard with my small hands and few beads of sweat dropped into it, 'welp I don't have to add salt then'.

 

we lit the oven and thankfully there was a smaller one for quickie one like this to conserve firewood, we walked outside while waiting cause its hot in there and I asked my system to notify me when to put the fire out, once the fire was out we cleaned the ashes clumsily and put the cookie-shaped flour inside the Oven rack hoping it would somehow manage to become a cake. while waiting we played some silly games from both this world and previous ones. I noticed some excitement and impatience with Sia, she asked 'when would it be ready?' again and again while wagging her imaginary tail.

 

When it was time we took them out of the oven, but instead of raising they cracked little here and there,

 

"Aymar it didn't raise" she sadly stated the obvious, Well failures are expected anyways,

 

Now that I see this I remembered they separate white and yellow stuff of eggs in some cooking shows I'll try that technique later, but still, I'll taste some, we both took a bite after it cooled down,

 

"Aymar it is sweet and crunchy" she replied with bits around her mouth,

 

'This... This is biscuit, not the best one but I can improvise', "This is called biscuit, hmm... honey buttered biscuit",

 

'I came for Cake but I found Biscuit'.

 

"Biskate? is that its name?" she narrowed her eyes towards me "yes, you never heard of it?" she moved her head side to side as an answer, 'This world doesn't even have Biscuit? maybe I can plagiarise some of the otherworldly stuff to make money Since my big brother would become baron after my dad,.

 

Sia was had a good time, being chirpy while eating, I had to remind her to calm down so as to not wake up people, maybe it's her first time tasting honey-sweetened pastry. We saved a few and munched a lot before leaving. 

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

(POV: Valter)

 

 

I was wondering where did my daughter sneak off at this night, only to find her leaving the oven house along Aymar with a happy grin as if they just ate the sweetest honey,

 

Aymar: "Was that really good Sia?",  Chelecsia: "Yup I liked it, It was the best and I want it more next time, We'll do lots and lots~okay?",

Aymar: "you might get fat if we do that much you know"... 

 

My Soul shook while hearing their Conversation, 'I was just speechless how can she be so bold even doing it with a boy who is 5 years younger than her, I know she was talking about him every time but I just ignored since they were kids but This! whose fault is this, him? or my precious Daughter?',

 

"What did you do to my daughter Aymar?" I asked towards manor's direction where he left,

 

'Come on Valter they're literal kids, how would they even know such thing, They must be talking about something else', I weakly convinced myself.

 

I need to know what happened exactly, he must have manipulated my pure girl's heart for his bidding','I just have to ask her when she's back',

 

I rushed towards her room even before her and appeared in front of her after she entered, "Daad!, you almost scared me there!" she said with her hands on her chest.

 

"Chelecsia, What Did You Do With Him?" I asked with stressing every single word,

 

"You already know dad, was I that loud?"~ she asked with blush,

 

'Oh No, I'm sorry Samantha, I failed as a Father ', My Emotions were in turmoil,

 

I don't care who is in the fault, but I still want to know the truth, No matter how bitter it is, "Don't hide just tell me everything!",

 

"I'll tell you but dad you have to keep it a secret" my mind raged 'this is totally a scandal',

 

"Just... Tell me before I go mad", Sia gave skeptical look before handing over a small broken bread shaped thing,

 

"What is this?", "Biskate!, Aymar made it with honey, I kept this one so I can give it to you, dad," she said with sparkling smile,

 

"Is that it? doing... lots?", "Yes, what else did you think? she tilted her head innocently while asking,

 

*SIGH* "Just don't get too close, remember we are just servants and you should just forget him when the time comes", I said before I gave back her bis... thing while leaving.

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

(POV: Me)

 

 

I know it was late but I want to give some to my mother, Before I reached for the door I heard moans especially my father's and my mother's muffled ones. I returned to my bed not wanting to think about it. Guess I'll give it in the morning then. 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

                                                                           [Full Status]
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Full Status
General Attributes
Name Aymar D'kman HP (4->5) STM (4->6)
Gender Male MP (4->6) STR (4->5)
Age (3->5) SPD (4->6) WIS (3->5)
    DEX (3->5) INT (4->5)
Skills
Type Name Features
Passive [Info Processor] Lvl 2 [System], [Status], [Memory Replay], [Social Management] & [Mini-map]
Active - -

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Social Management]
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Family List

- Annabelle D'kman (Mother)

- Payn D'kman (Father)

- Galeron D'kman (Brother)

 

Love Interests

- Annabelle D'kman

- Chelecsia

 

House Servants

- Sauze (House keeper)

- Valter (head Butler)

-Gargan(Butler)

- Gracia (Maid 1)

- Harth (Maid 2)

-See (31) more house Servants

 

Strangers List

- ???? (Stranger 1)

- See (53) more Strangers

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The First 10 Chapters would be slow and informative about implemented world settings and basics.

 

15