Volume 1. Chapter 6
315 37 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You know when I say... I am bad at writing, yes... I am bad, and why are you still reading?
Discord: https://discord.gg/SWj44TB (a Yuri bot exists there).

Patreon: https://patreon.com/mihou

Magic of Arteria Volume 1. Reunion Arc

Chapter Six.


Walking back inside, my nostrils were immediately assaulted by a delicious aroma. It smelled like melted cheese, and also pasta. The restaurant had no one inside other than five people, namely. May, Yui and Alina together with Yui’s sister and her friend, it was already late at night.

 

“What’s with this feast?” I stood shocked, carrying Hikari while watching the table filled with dozens of dishes. You could say, every single dish the restaurant had to offer was laid out on the table, from pasta to the meals for dinner.

 

“Don’t think too much about it, come here!” May said while gesturing us to come, shaking my head. I walked over to the table before placing Hikari on the sofa and sitting beside her as she held my hand like a kitten.

 

It seemed like she was nervous, her hand was shaking. But her face looked calm, from the little time I have been with her. I can tell she was holding her nervousness in, thinking as long as they are my friends. They shouldn’t hurt her, but I could be wrong. I don’t understand how a child’s mind really works.

 

“Why aren’t you all eating yet?” I asked while tilting my head in confusion as I combed Hikari’s hair with a comb I grabbed from my handbag.

 

“We are waiting for five more people; they should be arriving here soon,” Alina answered.

 

Who are they inviting? It’s no wonder why they prepared such a feast. I would be surprised if we had to eat all of these dishes by ourselves, even if Alina is a glutton. Her stomach can’t endure over twenty dishes, let alone fifty.

 

While I was wondering over who they invited, the bells on the restaurant door rang. I was surprised by the sudden ring and turned around before seeing five familiar figures. Two males, three females. I was overwhelmed with emotions, nostalgic emotions. They were all people I knew from the past years.

 

“It’s the five of you!” I shouted in joy as the five of them laughed.

 

The three females were Sister Kathlyn, Lina, and Layla. They were older than me, and the only ones on the nine of us who stuck around with Alina and me until we left for America. The boys were Brother Ren and Brother Kyle. The two of them were rather the bodyguards of us girls back then.

 

Standing up, I held Hikari, who looked hungry and walked over to them before hugging each five with a smile.

 

“I haven’t seen the four of you for years now, Brother Kyle seemed to have grown more mature while Brother Ren still looks childish,” I giggled before Brother Ren pouted.

 

“You look a lot beautiful nowadays, Ann. Speaking of which, do you mind introducing the girl you are holding. I feel like she looks similar to you, is she possibly your secret child from America?!” the blonde-hair woman, Lina joked.

 

Hearing her words, Hikari shook for a second before looking at me with a complicated look. She was really nervous, most likely lacked confidence in herself.

 

“How about you introduce yourself, Hikari?” I said while patting her hair as she looked at Sister Lina before hugging me tightly, shaking her head.

 

“It seems like she is shy compared to you, huh… Shy kids are cute though, but you should answer me. Little Ann!” Sister Lina said while pinching my cheeks as I shook my head.

 

“You could say she is one, I am taking her in starting today for special reasons, her name is Hikari,” I said while smiling, in an instant after I spoke those words, Brother Kyle looked at me with shock as well as Sister Lina.

 

“I won’t ask about those special reasons, but are you sure it won’t affect your reputation? I know you are confident about the Battle for the Throne in your family, but even the slightest scandal could drag you down.” Lina said.

 

“It’s true I am confident over the battle of the throne, not just confident but overconfident. Adopting Hikari would for sure drag my reputation down slightly but that’s fine, I have plans.” I said while smiling before she sighed.

 

“I’ll trust you on this one, after all, you are not a girl who acts irrationally. Otherwise, you wouldn’t be where you are standing.” Lina said with a wry smile.

 

“Don’t worry too much about her, Lina. Rather, how about we worry first about the food on the tables. I feel like the dishes May prepared for us will get cold if we stand here, and also the girl really looks hungry already,” the purple-haired woman in a business suit, Layla said while looking at Hikari who was very nervous.

 

“Mhm, let’s not waste the effort May placed in our dishes.” Sister Kathlyn said while leading us back to the table. My mood was super great, I unconsciously patted Hikari in happiness as she sat down beside me, hugging me.

 

“Are you hungry, which one do you want?” I looked at Hikari and asked before she looked around the table with her head extended like a giraffe. She looked funny, but I was worried whether her head would break. And like a normal person would do, I grabbed her and placed on my lap where she could see more clearly.

 

She was fairly short, the height of a six-year-old. And the table May had prepared was slightly taller than her, since most of us are tall. Take Sister Lina as an example, she is about 180-190 centimeters from what I can see, while Sister Kathlyn was about 190-200 centimeters.

 

After looking around for a few seconds, Hikari looked back at me and shook her head. I was confused, did she not want to eat any of the dishes here. They were all delicious-looking dishes, were they not too good for her?

 

“What’s wrong?” I asked before she looked at me with a complicated look, I can’t comprehend what her face meant. She looked nervous? Her face also looked like something else.

 

“You really aren’t meant for taking care of children yet, Little Ann. The girl wants to eat but is too nervous to do so. And is also too nervous to ask you,” Lina giggled.

 

“Is that true?” I asked her before she looked at Lina with her eyes frowned, it seems like she was exposed. It hasn’t even been an hour since they met and they are already getting along well! I mean, it’s not even a day since Hikari and I met but…

 

“Next time, you shouldn’t be nervous around them. They won’t bite, right?” I said while winking at them before they nodded in response. Only Hikari and I had an empty plate, the others were already eating their dishes.

 

“What do you want to eat, if you don’t tell me then I won’t help you.” I looked at Hikari and spoke before her face paled as she looked at the dishes with a troubled face. There were some dishes she looked longer than the others, namely the lasagna and chicken wings which were both the dishes I liked.

 

After observing her for a few seconds, I was able to pinpoint which dishes she wanted to eat the most. It all lied on how long she stared at them, the dishes are as followed. Lasagna is the one she wants to eat the most, followed by the chicken wings and after which, the spaghetti and fries, after identifying the dishes she wanted to eat.

 

I placed her beside me and stood up, holding the plate they provided for us and grabbed the dishes she wanted. I only grabbed a tiny piece of lasagna and two chicken fillets before walking back, taking another plate, and filling them with spaghetti.

 

I made sure it wasn’t too much spaghetti, I can’t let her eat too much unhealthy dishes despite my wish to spoil her. After grabbing some spaghetti, I went ahead and took a plate of fries with mayonnaise and cheese and walked back to our seat where Hikari looked at me with shock.

 

“What, you don’t want to eat?” I asked before she shook her head, sitting properly while obediently waiting for me to sit. I felt like laughing from her adorable movements but decided to keep it to myself, her way of sitting was very adorable. She looked like a plushie.

 

Sitting down on the sofa, I placed the plates on the table before grabbing the plushie girl and placing her back on my lap where I manipulated my mana to move the chair forward, enough for her tiny hands to reach the food.

 

Feeling the movement of the chair, Hikari looked at me and the spoon and fork with her usual troubled face. Her eyes were screaming despair. I do remember being told about children in corrupt orphanages not being taught proper etiquettes, I thought it was simply a rumor but from the looks of it. It seems like it is true huh.

 

“You do not know how to eat with a spoon and fork?” I asked before she nodded in response while hiding her face, having her confirmation. I grabbed her from my lap and placed her back on the seat beside me while taking the spoon and fork.

 

I looked at the plates in front of me for a few seconds, deciding on which one to let her eat first before eventually picking on the chicken fillet with rice. I felt like it is better to have her eat a meal for dinner first, and the others after.

 

Separating the chicken fillet on another plate, I placed rice on the plate before taking a knife and slicing a piece of the fillet before stabbing it with the fork, dipping it into gravy before placing it in front of her as I said, “Say Aaah.”

 

She was confused for a second, but quickly followed what I said, opening her mouth wide open as she said, “Aaah” before I fed it to her, following the chicken with rice. Immediately after she took the food in, a delighted look came from her face.

 

“Was it delicious?” I asked before she nodded happily.

 

“It was delicious, I want more!” she shouted before realizing what she had said and buried her face on the sofa. I was surprised, I didn’t expect her to shout. I was really happy; she had actually spoken like a child!

 

I didn’t know why I was happy; I don’t know at all. I was just happy she spoke something truly from her heart, is this what it feels to be a parent? Her face, at that time, was adorable, it was stuck inside my head.

 

“Do you still want to eat or not?” I asked before she poked an eye out and nodded, she was still embarrassed. Looking at the others, they were smiling at her. Alina was pouting though; I don’t know why.

 

Having her answer, I grabbed some vegetable dishes and sliced them into tiny pieces. The vegetables were broccoli, spinach, and lettuce. I like lettuce and broccoli, but I absolutely hate spinach, I feel evil for wanting to have her eat something I didn’t like but decided to shrug it off as I placed them on the spoon with rice, placing it before her as she opened her mouth and ate it.

 

From the looks of it, she wasn’t a picky eater. Back then, I would have a disgusted face whenever I was fed spinach. It was my absolute enemy, something I hate to this day.

 

“Do you want to drink some water?” I asked before she nodded while chewing the vegetables, with a happy smile, I went ahead and grabbed a plastic cup from the table and filled it with water before handing it to her as she grabbed it and drank it.

 

As I was looking at Hikari, a gentle voice came from the other side. To be exact, it was Lina’s voice, causing me to look at her as she smiled at me.

 

“I take back what I said about Little Ann not being fit to take care of children, the two of them really fit each other. I wouldn’t even doubt if Little Ann said it was her child, the harmony between them is really great. Even Alina is jealous of Hikari,” Lina said while giggling as she winked at Alina who was still pouting.

 

“Wha-what do you mean jealous?! I was just… I was just watching them!” Alina said with a reddened face. I felt like I saw this somewhere, I think it was from the anime she used to watch. From what I know, people who act that way are tsundere or tunaderes? I forgot…

 

“Why would Alina be jealous, I love my adorable little sister as much as Hikari, after all,” I said while smiling at her before all of a sudden, she buried her face in the sofa, similar to Hikari. The two of them were adorable creatures, I felt blessed.

 

“El..der sister is too much!” Alina said as the others laughed loudly, looking at her with a warm smile. It was one of the happiest days I have in my lifetime, an unforgettable moment.

 

“Also, I forgot to mention but congratulations to Brother Ren and Sister Kathlyn for their engagement! Here is my gift for the two of you,” Sister Lina said while taking out two tiny boxes from her handbag and handing it to Brother Ren and Sister Kathlyn.

 

“You didn’t have to give us a gift, but it would be bad for you if we reject it. Thank you, Sister Lina!” Sister Kathlyn said while taking the gifts and hugging Sister Lina tightly as the two of them smiled at each other. Brother Ren, on the other side, had an awkward face. I felt like I knew what he was having trouble with.

 

“You don’t have to hug Sister Lina, you know?” I said while feeding Hikari with the chicken fillet she liked the most.

 

Immediately, laughs echoed within the room as Brother Ren averted his gaze to Brother Kyle, who was eating at his own pace.

 

“What are you looking at me for, do you want to hug me instead? I am open-arms for a brotherly hug,” Brother Kyle said while opening his arms as he chewed some lasagna.

 

“Who would want to hug you!” Brother Ren said while throwing one piece of French fries towards Brother Kyle, who also didn’t disappoint us as he caught the fries with his mouth and ate it.

 

“Thanks for the free fries, such a generous gift from Mr. Engaged!” Brother Kyle said before laughs echoed within the room.

 

“Speaking of which, it seems like we have three people who have been quiet the whole time. How about we have them introduce each other,” Sister Layla looked at Yui, her sister and her sister’s friend with a smile.

 

“Yeah, I am quite interested. May told us about her falling in love at first sight on a blue-haired girl, and the only blue-haired girl here seemed to be the little girl over there. I am interested over the girl the shy May fell in love with,” Sister Kathlyn said while smiling at Yui as the others nodded in response.

 

Looking at Yui, her sister, and her sister’s friend who had nervous faces, I felt like I had to step in before the three of them get overwhelmed by the pressure. I coughed loudly while saying, “Let’s not force them to introduce themselves, shall we?”

 

Hearing my intervention, Yui looked at me with grateful eyes. She really didn’t want to introduce herself for some reason, otherwise she should be a confident girl, from what the rumors said. Rumors can also be highly exaggerated.

 

“We won’t force them then, but if you ever need help. Feel free to contact me, here is my business card. I can help you with fashion since it is my expertise. For businesses about security, you can ask Brother Kyle. He leads one of the best security groups in the world,” Layla said while smiling at them as she handed out her business card.

 

“Well, you probably won’t need much help from us if you have Little Ann with you. Our businesses are, after all, far inferior to Little Ann’s Groups of Companies but in the case, if Little Ann can’t help you, we are here.” Layla said before Yui took it, most likely in respect.

 

“Thank you, we’ll contact you if we ever need your help,” Yui said while bowing down as Layla patted her head with a smile.

 

“I like this child; your eyes never fail to disappoint me. Little May,” Layla said while smiling at May who had a grin on her face.

 

“Also, I haven’t heard of Brother Kyle’s company. He actually made one and a security group like the one he kept dreaming of? When did he found it?” I asked in surprise.

 

“It’s nothing much, I started it a year ago with some friends I met overseas. We were, at first, only guarding local businessmen for the first few months. It’s normal you haven’t heard of us, though, we tried hard to hide our group and only accepted requests from people we knew.” Brother Kyle said while sipping on some red wine.

 

While I was drinking on a glass of water, a hand pulled on the hem of my dress, causing me to be startled as I looked at Hikari who I had been feeding for some time now. Her eyes were now half-closed, she was holding onto my dress tightly to the extent that I felt like it would rip if I have her continue.

 

“What’s wrong, Hikari?” I asked while tilting my head as I placed the spoon and fork back on the plate and grabbing her.

 

“Sleepy…” she yawned before closing her eyes. I was startled for a second after realizing how late it was. The time was already ten in the night, children should have already been asleep a few hours ago. It seems like she endured her sleepiness.

 

“Mhm, you can sleep for now… we’ll be home in a short while,” I stood up while caressing her back as she nodded in response before resting her head on my shoulders as I looked at the others with an awkward look.

 

“You can head home first if you want, Little Ann. I brought your car on the way here since Alina told me to, Alina as well should head home. Don’t worry about your little friends, I’ll bring them to their homes safely,” Sister Kathlyn said while placing a crystal blue key on the table.

 

It seems like Alina took measures ahead of time, she really is the same girl who is always prepared since childhood. There wasn't a single day where she didn't prepare lunch, dinner, or breakfast when we were in America.

 

“Well then, we'll head out first. Sorry for not spending much time with you guys,” I said while taking the key with my left hand, making sure Hikari doesn't fall off.

 

“Mhm, take care you three! Don't worry too much, we'll have a proper reunion in a few days from now. Sister Layla should send you a message at that time, be sure to bring the adorable girl with you again!” Sister Lina said as I nodded before Alina and I left the restaurant, walking towards the pink supercar which Sister Kathlyn rode and opening the door using the key.

 

“Alina, can you hold Hikari for me?” I asked before she nodded, taking the sleeping Hikari from my arms as I cleaned up the mess on the passenger seat. There were plenty of makeup tools that Alina uses, I don't get why she uses them though. She is already pretty, there should be no need for her to use them.

 

After a few minutes of cleaning up the mess, I got out of the passenger seat and nodded to Alina as she entered the passenger seat, with the sleeping Hikari resting on her shoulder.

 

I tightened their seat belt real quick before closing the door and walking towards the driver seat where I inserted the key to the car, twisted it slightly to the left as it started silently. The car had entered silent mode, which is the mode where all the speakers and the engine noises are turned off. The power of the engines is only affected slightly.

 

After turning the engines, I pressed down on the acceleration pedal and drove off back home, which according to the GPS was a few minutes’ drive from the restaurant going by the speed limit.

 

Ten minutes of driving later, we arrived inside the house where I placed Hikari on my bed before walking outside the room where Alina waited. She had something to ask me, which made me curious.

 

“Elder Sister, are you really sure about adopting her?” Alina asked as I walked out of the room, her face was filled with worry. You could tell she was troubled inside; I know her a lot. She wants the best of the best for me, and always follows whatever I want.

 

“Mhm, the risks of having her outside is too high. I'd rather take her in than having someone who could possibly be an enemy grab her,” I answered while leaning on the wall.

 

“But… wouldn't it hurt your reputation a lot? You might have to fight back against hundreds of family members as Mom did… I don't want my Elder Sister to fight…” Alina said.

 

“Silly girl, I won't go the same path as Mom when she took us in. Though, it wouldn't even matter anyway. Compared to Mom back then, I have the power to suppress them all.” I said while patting her hair.

 

I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried, back when Mom adopted Alina and me, she had to fight against the retaliation of the thousand members of the family. Through physical combat or through words, a lot of the members in the family are of high status and also powerful people. It was only by luck, she found The Great Sage, who helped her succeed.

 

“If Elder Sister says so, but how would you convince Mom into accepting her? After all, Mom is the first person who should reject the adoption among all of the people.” Alina asked.

 

“Don't worry, I have plans on how to persuade her. Let's go head to sleep now before Hikari wakes up, okay?” I said before she sighed and nodded as the two of us went to bed with Hikari in the center.

 

Even if the World denies you. You should always go your own path, ignore what others tell you. The true path of success is the path you built by yourself, not through others… I wonder if this is what The Great Sage's daughter meant. To believe in yourself, and in your sword huh…

You know when I say... I am bad at writing, yes... I am bad, and why are you still reading?
Discord: https://discord.gg/SWj44TB (a Yuri bot exists there).

Patreon: https://patreon.com/mihou

 

21