Chapter 19: Visionary entrepreneur
145 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Every villain has a weakness. Find it, grasp it, and you'll have a new little brother.

 

'Man, stealing from crooks is really the best. They do all the groundwork and they never even call the police after!' Joey saw the advantages of the side of good.

Craig's scheme had clearly been working for a long time, but that's because his opponents were a bunch of clueless brats.

The setup was simple. The design on the card backs was composed of numerous thin lines crisscrossing to form a checkerboard. Simply put, there were only lines and dots created by the empty spaces in between.

These backs should've been identical, but Craig's cards had minor differences. One or more tiny dots were subtly lighter in key locations. To the untrained eye, these differences were very difficult to detect. However, to the knowing observer, they could be noticed even from across the table.

The locations of the dots functioned as keys corresponding to the ranks of the cards. If you understood the meanings, you would know the value of each card from 2 to ace.

All Joey did was look at enough back patterns, and their associated values, to completely grasp the language of the markings.

'I envy Craig a bit now. It's almost like living off interest while laying on the beach.' He didn't even have to strain himself, so he was barely even tired.

'Just one hurdle left. I have all these chips, but they're worthless until I turn them into cash and actually leave. Craig doesn't seem like the honest and reliable type. He looks more like if Ivan Drago became a camp counselor and diddled the kids.'

'I know exactly what to do though. Time to finish him off.'

As new hands were being played, Joey decided he shouldn't come off as an ungrateful guest. He had to show his host his appreciation.

"Craig, I really have to thank you for inviting me. You're a real pal. And what a great setup you have here: the ambiance, the table, these cards..." He looked Craig dead in the eyes and put on his most sincere face of gratitude.

Craig saw the face of the devil.

'Damn! He knows about the cards! That's how he made those plays...If he says something to the other players...' Craig took a deep breath. If this got out, his reputation in school would be ruined.

If you do enough good in the world, people will follow you. That was how Joey gained his first minion.

Cough cough. "Hey everyone, I'm not feeling so well. Let's call it a day, we'll pick up the game later." Craig announced a tactical retreat. Others voiced grievances but the game happened every weekend so they didn't mind too much.

"Craig buddy, do you mind carrying these chips for me and cashing them out. My arms are awfully tired." Joey became a fan of the football team. He wanted Craig to stay in shape on the off days.

"...Sure." Craig's face had larger black lines than his eye black during football games, but he had already signed the soul contract.

Craig cashed Joey out and gave him his money, every dollar accounted for. 

He had hosted these games for years and scammed a lot of money out of other people. He knew that even if not today, if Joey ever spread the cheating rumor at school, it would immediately create suspicion.

It's likely that at some point, a few people even had noticed a tiny mark or two on the card backs but didn't think anything of it. If nothing else, the best-case scenario would be the halt of his gravy train.

He walked Joey outside while trying to think a way out of his predicament.

"Great game, so I'll see you next weekend?" Joey asked.

"...About that...looks like we're going to be full...sorry."

Joey had expected that response. He didn't want to play anyway, he was just putting mental pressure on Craig. He felt alive when challenging himself and learning new skills. Lowering himself to play with low level players in a fixed game would just stunt his growth there.

"That's a shame...I guess we should talk about our business plan then. I haven't decided on S-Corp or LLC yet but we can work out those details later." Joey's business elective class was starting to provide dividends.

Craig didn't like where this is going. "...What are you talking about?"

"This game, I think it has a lot of potential. You should cut me in for a piece, my unique 'knowledge' could be a real asset."

This was outright extortion!

'Building passive income streams is important. Steve Jobs got his start in a garage. Mine will be in Craig's basement.' Joey envisioned the start of his business empire.

Craig wanted to cry but had no tears. He wanted to slap himself 100 times for bringing this evil star into his life.

The two briefly negotiated and agreed that Joey would get 10% of their game's income. Joey didn't want to push too hard because he knew if he did, Craig could find some loophole like hosting the game at someone else's house, teaching someone else his cheating methods, etc.

Joey threw him a bone though. He assured Craig he would occasionally send over players from Angelo's club.

He wouldn't.

Walking home with plentiful pockets. Thoughtfully gazing at the shining stars. A hero returns in triumph.

'It's not evil to plot against swindlers. At most, I could be considered an anti-hero.' Joey was picky of his character tags.

8