Chapter 100 – [Day 55] – “Jubokko”
16.6k 31 345
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

∼ Day 55 ∼

 

After questioning the humans with some rather persuasive methods - also known as mind-control. I quickly got the information I wanted. These four humans had originally been a party of five that ventured into the depths of the Dusk Swamps, which apparently was the real name for the swamps I had discovered.

 

Anyway, I learned that they had gone on a mission to the Dusk Swamps to gather a certain medicinal item that some rich alchemist wanted to get his grubby hands on. While the mission generally didn't pose much effort or danger to a group like these adventurers, it was high pay due to its proximity to the wastelands as some of its regions even cross over the borders.

 

It was common knowledge that adventurers of Mordria would usually steer clear of any of the monster-infested zones that were close to the wastelands. This was due to the wastelands being the territory of the civilized monsters, and while humans would venture in there to find fortune and glory, that was only reserved for the strongest of Mordria and the adventurers of other higher-ranked countries.

 

For a place like Mordria, the wastelands simply posed too great of a threat and a political dead zone when regarding other human countries. To my delight, this actually answered one of the many questions I had piling up in the old noggin' of mine since I always wondered why I didn't see adventurers swarm here in droves for the quick and easy EXP that lay just at the outskirts.

 

Apparently, it simply wasn't worth the risk compared to the other places directly within Mordria's borders which presented even better and safer opportunities for growing stronger.

 

Well, this mission of theirs had let them deep into the depths of the Dusk Swamps, until they found a region where the vegetation itself turned carnivorous. As they moved deeper, the plants got more dangerous and much larger. However, these plants still didn't prove a threat to E-ranked humans like them, but it was first when they reached their target they found real resistance.

 

Their target was a large and ominous tree. Or well, not exactly the tree itself, but its seed. What they had been tasked with, was securing a Jubokko seed. Hearing this, I was only more intrigued since I remembered the Jubokko evolution that had been presented to me once before when choosing between evolution paths.

 

From what I remembered, these Jubokko trees were actually living sentient monsters. Their nature was to feed upon the blood of other creatures to sustain their lives, so it was no wonder that Mia had felt some slight connection to the Jubokko seed. It's crimson alignment resonating with her magic and transfigured body.

 

After a lengthy and rough fight, the humans had gotten their objective and were about to return. But as they had thought themselves in the clear, they were onset by two enormous Ebonwood Dire Wolves. From the adventurers' knowledge, Ebonwood Dire Wolves were creatures way above their pay-grades and were usually only to be found in the vast Ebonwoods, an endless expanse adjacent to the Dusk Swamps.

 

Seeing such a pair of powerful monsters from a region way beyond their capabilities, the adventurers did the only thing they could. They made a run for it.

 

Having no chance of beating such ferocious beasts even though they tended to only be at the E+ rank in terms of power, the adventurers were filled with dread. Compared to humans, large monsters would generally win if they fought head to head.

 

That was why adventurers grouped with each other to at least three or four members when going on an extermination quest of a monster. They themselves had to be of equal rank to the monsters while outnumbering them for a safe chance of coming out successful and alive. Unfortunately for these particular adventurers, they had lost one of their members in the pursuit, another woman who had been their leader.

 

And as if being spit in the face by the gods, after having escaped the powerful wolves, they were met with a whole retinue of hobgoblins and orcs blocking their desperate retreat. In their plight to escape, they hadn't bothered with choosing a specific direction, only focusing just on a path that didn't point in the direction of the Dusk Swamps' core.

 

When they exited the swamps, they hadn't stopped even for a moment and continued onwards until they broke out of the swamps entirely. But instead of being back in Mordria's territory, they had found themselves at the outskirts of the wastelands, and coincidently, at my doorstep.

 

Done with getting the general information I wanted, I left the glazed-eyed humans alone in their cells, instructing someone to be put on detail to feed, clothe, and take care of them.

 

I still had a need for them, and more information was to be gained.

 

As an endpoint, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them honestly. But for now, this was the course of action that suited me the best.

 

While using the adventurers as veritable fountains of information was something I had also wanted to do with the Cealish mercenaries that I captured, that being dominating their minds and getting all the information I wanted, I at that time didn't want any luggage slowing down my return home.

 

So I was pleasantly surprised to find out I had just gotten four of them already waiting for me at home.

 

When Darkan returned to my side after I had asked him to go get this Jubokko seed that all the rage was about, I inspected it in the palm of my hand. To my surprise, the small walnut-sized seed was actually warm. Not just a warmth from being kept hot, but rather a warmth from inside from a heat generated by itself, the general trademark of most other living beings.

 

Recognizing the small seed's alignment was very much similar to that of my own nature, I felt an instinctual fondness towards it. Walking around the tribe while being introduced to the new things and building that had been erected, like a smithy which explained the tribe's sudden ability to handle metal, I realized that I could faintly sense the seed's emotions and needs.

 

It was astonishing to feel what looked to be an inanimate object having sentience, so I carefully listened to its emotions and signals, barely keeping track of where I was going. I could definitely feel that it was hungry which wasn't a surprise, however, it was like it wanted me to do something other than just feed it.

 

It had a certain need, but what would a seed require?

 

With a little thinking, I realized what it wanted. To be planted. I was at first very skeptical of planting a carnivorous monster tree anywhere in the vicinity of the tribe, with loads of fleshy blood bags called goblins stupidly stumbling around, but the more I thought about it, the more I got excited for an idea that had suddenly invaded my thoughts like a runaway train.

 

How cool would it be to have a monster eating tree as a tribal guardian?!

 

If I could tame this tree, this could be a powerful addition to the tribe's defenses. As such, I began walking around with the seed in my hands, sensing out its emotions as I went. The seed quickly picked up on what I was doing and started directing me towards what it felt was the most suitable place to be planted.

 

Where we finally stopped after having run around under the confused gazes of Mia, Bob, and Darkan, was directly in the heart of the tribe. The feasting grounds. Over the many years, the soil beneath had been saturated in the flesh, blood, and bones of thousands upon thousands of creatures, ever since the original tribe had established itself here.

 

While planting the carnivorous tree in the core of my tribe didn't sound too safe, I trusted my own ability and intuition about this seed. Dripping a drop of blood on the seed, I saw it suck in the vibrant and vigorous liquid with exuberant glee, its emotions radiating happiness.

 

Slowly, almost imperceptibly so, I felt a connection between us establish, and from that moment knew in my gut that it would not betray me. My blood had apparently done a lot more than just feeding the creature, which surprised and delighted me.

 

Upon digging a hole half a meter deep, I gave the seed two more drops of blood and then put it into the hole. I could've given it more, but I was worried about overfeeding it since I knew my blood was powerful and potent if anything.

 

Everything could be a poison if you administered enough of it.

 

After covering the hole and telling Darkan to keep the tribe away from this area and what I had intended to do with the seed, I let out a contented sigh. Darkan looked both stricken and panicked at my declaration, however, I paid it no mind. He would obey, and I would in turn not let his trust be misplaced in me.

 

Crouching and placing a hand on the turned over soil, I smiled.

 

"Let's see how you grow, my little monster-eating tree." - Me

 

If you want to support me and Sanguine Paradise, head on over to my Patreon and read up to 20 chapters ahead.clear.png

New Patrons Shoutout!clear.png: (Thomas, SemiDeus 4k, Mauro Murgia)

Thank you for your continued support!

 

Small (late) Christmas presentclear.png:

I'm currently in a frenzy with ordering new commissions and have about four in the works right now. That's not also mentioning that two of them have already been finished!clear.png

One big illustration of both Mia, Lily, and Xavier, that's a snippet of a future scene in the story, and a piece of Xavier alone that'll also tease something. I will be posting the big one on Monday for the public release, and the other one I haven't found an appropriate time yet. It's with your support that this is even possible, and I couldn't be happier to have reached such a point. Thank you all!

clear.pngHAPPY HOLIDAYS!clear.png

345