Chapter 8 [The Dance]
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Red, the color of danger, death, and violence. Especially if the color was stuck under his right shoe. Every step he had taken left a trail of bloody footprints behind. It wasn’t wet or sticky, it was dry for the moment, it had dried a short while ago before he got into the throne room. Victor stood and stared at it for quite some time now, unaware of his surroundings.

“Victor?” His father called him.

“Y-Yeah?”

“Are you listening to what I had spoken?”

“I’m sorry, my king. I was... I just. I don’t know.”

“You're 16 years old, fit to rule, and fit to marry. Do not forget that. Therefore, be mindful of others' safety, not just your own.” David leaned back on his chair and he sighed.

“I will, my king.”

“You’re dismissed.”

“Let’s go, my prince.” Commander Julius escorted Victor out of his father’s studies and into the hallway.

After the door closed, Victor stumbled to the right until he pressed his arm against the frozen wall. His stomach swirled and he couldn’t help it but discharged everything he had eaten this morning out of his mouth and onto the floor. Julius took his side and helped the prince stand up before he suddenly fainted.

It was quiet and peaceful, it was quiet before but felt lighter. He could see it far in the reach of his mind, the blood dripping out from the wound, flooding his feet, the man’s eyes turned cold as a black smoke escaped his lip and swirled around Victor. He waves his hand trying to get the hovering black smoke off him, but as he swung his arms more, the black smoke became bigger until the very air inside his throat was pulled out and he started to choke.

Victor woke up abruptly, gasping for air. After wiping his sweaty forehead and glanced around the room. He saw Gabriella in the corner and Commander Julius right beside his bed.

“Do you know where you are?”

Victor took another short glance around and slowly calmed his breath, “My bedroom. What happened?”

“You fainted outside of the throne room.”

“Oh.”

“From what my men reported. It was hard to see. I’m sorry, my Prince.”

Victor looked down and realized someone had changed his clothes.

”Commander Julius, you have fought in a war before with my father, right?”

“I did.”

“How did you…”

“My Prince…” He took a seat at the edge of the bed and placed his hand on Victor’s shoulder, “There will be time, and it will be hard. It may be a grim way of thinking, but I believe we humans are resilient creatures. You will adapt to it whether you like it or not. As for my current advice, try not to think about it.”

Victor coughed a laugh, “I don’t even know those men and why they hated me so much that they are willing to hurt me. What did my family do to them?”

“It’s better that you don’t know them. They were remnants of the previous war.” He sighed.

“I dreaded this moment, but you need to know. However, only after tonight’s ball, I will tell you everything from the beginning to the end.”

“The party is tonight… I almost forgot about it.” Victor looked outside and it’s near night time. The sun began to set and the moon began to rise. Gabriella pulled a mannequin over to the front of the bed, and on that mannequin’s body lay tonight’s clothing for the dance. A white doublet with a gold-encrusted shoulder with a short cape and white pants.

“My prince. A piece of advice, whoever you pick for tonight dance, will be the unofficially chosen queen. Pick wisely. Not just for the Kingdom, for your own self.”

“Unofficially?”

“Tomorrow morning you will make your decision clear in the throne room in front of everyone, but as it may go, people can guess which one you will pick from the candidate you spend time with tonight.”

“Okay… that is some heavy decision to make for someone like me.”

“Be comfortable with it, once you are King, there are a lot more dire decisions you have to make in the future.”

Gabriella curtsied, “It’s time, my prince.”

***

“It was you wasn’t it, Aru? The letter and the men?” After asking the white-haired man beside her, Sayo sipped on her pipe and let out a thin smoke escape her lip.

“I’m sorry, my Empress, but I don’t recall faking a letter and tipping a group of rebels to your location,” the white-haired man said it indifferently with a blank expression.

“I’m sure you don’t. There’s no way my very own trusted advisor would put my life at risk,” a half-smile appeared on Sayo’s face.

“I’m glad you believe me, but may I inquire, did it work?”

“You doubt me?”

“Never once in my life, I had ever doubted you.”

“Good.”

“And may I say, your kimono looks lovely tonight.”

“Here I thought, you didn’t notice it.”

Out of nowhere, Sayo held in a laugh.

“What is so funny if I may ask, your Highness?”

“That kid asked me, what am I to his father? I never got to answer it.”

“A question that piqued my curiosity. What was your answer?”

“A Player.”

“What do you think of the Prince?”

“A Pawn.”

Two men in ceremonious armor opened the door for The Empress and her escorts. It was quite a sight to behold behind that door, surely the budget was overspent to make sure tonight was a success. Hills of luxurious foods, vibrant decorations, and packs full of well-dressed people. Surely the color choice for tonight is white and gold, but more emphasis on the white. Sayo turned her attention to the King, David nodded slightly as a greeting, while his son, in particular, sat there with his head down; deep in thoughts. She was escorted by the maids to her table and served a hefty meal.

Victor sighed; he looked up to see the troupe performing, but the melancholy in him prevented him from enjoying this ball. Two important choices he needs to pick tonight, choices that will definitely change his entire life and the Kingdom itself. These choices that were given to him could be a good one or a bad one. He turned his gaze at the Empress and she had this small understanding smile as she nodded at him. He then turned his gaze to the Princess and she was delighted when she noticed his gaze. She fixed her hair while trying to hide a wave at him; Victor replied with a secret wave of his own.

Both of them are a good choice, if he picks the Princess, she could make him happy, but he’s afraid that they both are still young and the Kingdom needs someone who can rule. That left him to the second choice, the Empress, she has experience in ruling a country, she could rebuild this kingdom into a better one or at least guide it to prosperity.

Victor is so confused, he doesn't know if he can make these choices alone.

“It’s time, Prince Victor.” His father whispered.

Victor took a long breath and stood up. The troupe finished their performance and cleared the dance floor. With a single wave of the conductor’s hand, a romantic orchestrated melody echoed throughout the room. Setting a heart-throbbing atmosphere for the whole room. His subjects slowly cleared the dance floors; giving way for the Prince as he walked down the short steps and made his way to the table.

Gabriella stood in the dark corner of the room, biting her handkerchief in anticipation.

“Empress Shihong, would you care to dance with me?”

***

In the darkness lies a sense of calm, peace, and tranquility despite the fear of the unknown swirling around it. The sounds of dripping droplets had become a part of the depressed aesthetic in the room, along with the repeating shaky window caused by the strong freezing breeze outside. The soft bed underneath her was supposed to help her back felt as comfortable as she can, but it won’t help with the regular attack of aching pain and coughs that felt like her throat was being ripped apart. As much she tried to sleep, it became harder and harder too. The Queen doesn’t know how long she could last, or how long she can withstand it.

It’s tiring and she missed her family. The anxiety she felt when she realized that there’s a possible chance that she could not see her family anymore was chipping away the little bit of hope she had left. Usually, these dark thoughts were kept behind a wall of denial, but deep down, she knew, and she realized that…

A small laugh escaped from her lips.

Suddenly, the sound of soft footsteps caused her to turn her head forward. With a blurry sight, she tried to look for her mysterious visitor, but darkness denied her of the pleasure of seeing who it was.

“Doctor?”

There was no response, and that alone boggled her.

“No one should enter here. You are risking your life.”

That person had climbed up the edge of her bed as she felt the shifting weight around her feet. This situation was not normal on itself, but the most confusing part of it was this person’s weight is enormous because every time this thing moves slightly the wood holding the bed squeaks and creaks.

This thing was not a person as she saw what was truly hunched over her body.

A beast of dark, it had a muzzle filled with large sharp teeth. Its fur was thick as her blanket and dark as the night. She finally saw a half of its upper torso due to the complementary lackluster light that the moon provided from the window beside her bed. It had four front legs and two presumably in the back. Even if the beast stood above her, she maintained her dignified smile and asked.

“Are you Death?” and proceeded to cough heavily.

The creature brought its muzzle down closer and inhaled her scent. At that moment, the Queen of Frozehaven saw those beautiful dark eyes filled with twinkling lights. She could not believe such a horrifying beast had a beautiful pair of eyes.

“Those eyes, so magnificent in its own way. Truly in death, there is beauty, isn’t it? ”

Here it comes, it took all her strength to prevent it from happening, but she has no strength left to give. Her limbs became numb, and she felt her own body slowly losing its heat. She finally started to leave this realm, and her last sight was this beast.

“You truly are, Death.” The creature of darkness opened its jaw and slowly brought its fangs closer to her face.

A tear dripped down her cheek.

“Julius, Victor. I need you both to stop fighting each other for one second, please?”

And she heard it.

“Mom! Father started it!”

Like an echo of warm memories, her sight became cloudy and changing.

“As if I was the one who started it. I was mad at him because this little brat won’t stop skipping his lecture.”

Lillian looked down and realized that she was holding a tray of tea and cookies. She smiled and looked at the two dearest men of her life, “If you stop fighting, you can have these delicious cookies I brought from the pantry.”

“That’s not fair mom, you know I love cookies! Fine! I will temporarily set up a truce with my father.”

She raised her eyebrow at her husband, “Ahhh! As you wish, my Queen.”

“What are you both going to do without me?” Lillian sighed.

“Are you ready, honey?” Julius looked at her with a saddened and longing gaze.

“I’m not sure... When was the last time we had this kind of moment?”

“I don't know, but it has been a long time, isn’t it?.”

Tears began to overflow down her cheeks, “I want- I want more time, but I know… that is one thing I couldn’t have.”

“Shall we?.”

The bedroom became quiet; void of any sounds of tickling droplets or trembling glass pane.

***

Victor had finally finished his dance with the Empress. The confident woman leaned closer and whispered, “You have made a good choice, my king.” Broke away from his embrace, Sayo curtsied before him and backed away to her table; giving the people a chance to take the floor with their partners. Victor headed toward the exit with his head slightly down; contemplating whether he had made a good decision or otherwise.

As he walked down the hallway, a girl called out to him.

“Victor, we need to talk!”

After turning to face the girl, her teary eyes squeezed his heart and caused him to glance away, “Fine, but let’s talk elsewhere.”

Victor took her to the Library, and the moment the doors closed behind him. Aburah rushed in and embraced him with her soft arms. Victor was stunned by the hug and after their gaze met each other, she went in for a kiss. He was surely shocked by her action but was not against it. She was a bit taller and bigger than him and it was hard for the little boy to wrap his arms around her, but nevertheless, a union of lips had occurred between them.

Aburah then broke away from the kiss and stared at him with disbelief.

“Please. Please… Tell me that was all a mistake! I love you, Victor.” She pulled him in for another tight embrace. “You’re the only man I found worthy to be my king. Please tell me that it was a silly ruse, tell me that tomorrow you will pick me as your queen instead of that conniving harlot.”

“No, it wasn't. I did it because the Kingdom needs a better ruler than I am, and I admit that I'm not well equipped to lead my own people. I know that and you know that. I had to, there was no other choice,” Victor let his heart and tears out as he clung to her dress.

She caressed Victor’s arms gently up to his neck, “I’m hurt, you know.”

Victor looked up, and the teary-eye girl was no more, instead, it was replaced by a look of disdain and rage.

“I’m hurt because you think so little of me!” She grabbed Victor by the neck, then raised his body up and against the bookshelf behind him.

“Did you think that I can’t rule a kingdom!? You pathetic worm!”

Victor tried to wedge in his finger between her grips, but it was too late, her hands were perfectly wrapped around his neck. The longer he had hold of him, the tighter her grip became, and slowly caused him to lose access to precious air.

“You know how humiliating it was for me to pretend to be a damsel in distress?! You don't, do you? If I can't do it peacefully then violence is the only conclusion to this talk. I’m going to sail my army here and take over your tiny kingdom. After the Kingdom is mine, I’m going to make sure you watch as I execute your parents right in front of you. You pathetic little swine!”

“Please Aburah, no...” Victor felt his sight begin to blur while his nerves popping furiously.

“Then!” Her sentence stopped abruptly, only the dead silence was left.

Blood and brains splatter across the room into every crevice even into Victor’s mouth. Her head just exploded right in front of him, her body relaxed and released Victor from her grasp. Victor looked in horror as blood squirted out from Aburah’s neck, and when he raised his gaze to see the culprit, his skin turned pale as he saw the beast right in front of him.

Darker than night, resembling a wolf with six legs and as big as the royal carriage.

Victor put his hands behind him and slowly tried to find a weapon. The beast brought its muzzle close to him and caused him to raise his arms to protect himself.

“Get back!!!” Victor yelled out while both of his eyes were closed.

To his surprise, the beast whimpered in fear. Victor took another look at the supposed horrid creature and his eyes widened. Victor started to question himself, was it fear that was rumbling inside him? The answer was yes. However, which one of us was the frightened one? Victor raised his hand to strike and it quickly retreated back like a puppy. He lifted himself up and stepped over the dead body. As he tried to get closer to the creature, the beast responded by becoming more afraid of him

A glimpse of its eyes caused Victor to realize the truth.

“Eyes as dark as night but filled with stars… Muffin?”

The beast howled as it recognized the name.

“M-Muffin?!” Victor widened his arms and the beast rushed in to be an embrace by the small boy. Victor laughed while bawling his eyes out as he caressed the beast’s muzzle.

“Thank You. Thank you for saving me.”

“My Prince! I heard screaming. Are you in danger?”

The guard barged into the room, but as he took a look at the creature loomed before him, he quickly ran away. “The Beast is here!! The Beast is here!!!”

“Muffin! We need to run. Let’s go!” Victor gestured Muffin to the secret path and when he opened it, he was skeptical about its size, surely the creature beside him can't fit through here.

“Damn it! We need to go through the hallway.”

Near him echoed ten or more guards marching down the hallway, and the thought of being trapped here and impending death for Muffin began to loom over him.

“I can’t let them hurt you,” Victor grabbed a letter opener and armed himself. It was the first time the thought of violence had ever crossed Victor's mind and he was scared of it, but nevertheless, his friend needed him right now.

“I will take care of them. All you need to do is run past them and make sure you don’t look back!”

Muffin nibbed Victor by the collar and vaulted him onto its back, “What?”

The magnificent beast charged toward the window along with Victor on its back, bursting through and leaped out of it using all of its strength. Victor let go of his letter opener and gripped the beast furs as tightly as he could as they made an impossible jump toward the adjacent building.

0