Chapter 15 [Answer]
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A small pebble,

A small splash,

A big pebble,

A big splash,

What is constant?

 

That question pondered in Victor’s head over and over again, haunting and interrupting him for a few moments of his focus. Until a loud sigh escaped his lips as he lay on the floor with his arms and legs spread open. He stared at the ceiling above him while sighing again but this time, repeatedly until he was bored listening to his own sigh. Mirai peeked over him from the side and smiled, she then tilted her head.

“What’s wrong?” Julia entered the room with a tray of snacks and tea.

“Nothing that important, I guess. There was this question or a poem of sorts that has been bothering me since I started training.”

“Oh, I don't want to be a busybody, but why are you in training?”

“I need to get strong. So I can protect the people around me.”

“Hmm, you have quite a noble intention there.”

Julia clicked her tongues, “Strong? Ha. You’re weaker than me, besides, I doubt you can be stronger than me.”

“Oh, wanna test that statement?” Victor and Julia glared at each other.

Mirai intervened between the two of them, “In the end, we can’t translate enough of the book to make sense of it. Such a waste, I thought we could do it.”

Victor placed his arm against his forehead, “It was harder than I thought. To fully translate it, we probably need a lot of reference from other books.”,

“Oh, I almost forget. Lady Mirai, I brought you some snacks.”

Julia set down the tray while Mirai helped her by serving the snacks, Mirai took one and handed it over to Victor, “If I may say so, we did have fun trying, didn't we?” said Mirai as she watched Victor nibbled on the biscuit.

“We sure did, thank you again for inviting me,” It has been a while, but Victor appreciated them both for giving him the chance to experience it once more, yet, he can't tell them that because what’s the point of ruining this moment with pathetic gratitude.

When Victor tilted his head to the side, he could see through the gap between the sliding doors, and what was stored behind it was; a fish pond. It’s weird that he didn't notice it before he entered this room, surely he must have walked past it earlier. However, now that he looked at the fish pond, it truly does look more beautiful than his first glance. The spotted fish of red and white circled each other in an unending loop only occasionally changing its direction once a while.

A ripple…

That was it. The answer.

“Water!”

“Excuse me?” Both Mirai and Julia were shocked by Victor’s sudden burst.

Victor stood up quickly and rushed to the door; slamming it open before leaping from the porch and landing face-first near the pond.

“What’s gotten into you?” Julia jumped out of the room.

Victor raised himself back again, and this time with a small pebble; he tossed it in and caused a small splash.

“Don’t do that! You’re going to get us bad luck if you do that.”

“The answer was ‘Water’. I got it now. I understood it. I have to leave. Do I have to leave? Yes, right now!”

“Intruder! Stop right there!”

The three of them froze in places after they were seen by the guards, they took turns to look at each other; panicked rise between them. The guard made his way toward the three of them and glared at the boy with his wooden stick ready by his side.

“Who are you?” asked the guard.

Without thinking about it, Victor changed his language to his native tongue. He turned to the guard with a look of comically confused, “Whattt? I do not understand-toah?”

“How dare someone like you, an outsider, enter this place without permission!”

“Please watch your tone,” Mirai stepped in; a commanding air emanated from her.

“Lady Mirai? I’m sorry for raising my voice, Lady Mirai.” The guard bowed his head.

“Remain calm, as you can see, this outsider accidentally made his way into my home, and Julia was just helping him leave this place.”

“But, Lady Mirai? He could be someone dangerous.”

“If this young man is dangerous, he would have done something bad to my family before you came, and so far as I know, he didn't do anything harmful to me or Julia. However, I am currently doubting your capabilities to protect my home and well, my wellbeing. How could someone like him enter this place without you even noticing it?”

“I’m sorry, Lady Mirai.”

“You should be, but do not worry, Julia will take over from here while you! Should go back to your post and hope that no one had infiltrated my home any further.”

“Yes, Lady Mirai.”

The guard left the three of them and went back to his post in a haste.

“Astonishing performance, Lady Mirai,” Julia complimented.

“I agree, she’s right. You were kinda amazing back there. If it weren't for you, who knows what will happen to me,” Victor sighed as he scratched the bed of my head.

“It’s nothing/ More importantly, you are leaving?”

“Yeah, it’s about my training. I finally found the answer, can you believe it?”

“Oh, then I shouldn't stop you any further, but before you leave, can you come closer?”

Victor walked up to her, and she handed the Archaic book to him, “You’re giving me this?”

“And this.”

Victor’s eyes widened to the brim as he felt Mirai’s soft lips against his cheek. She broke away from the stunned young man then glanced down with pouty lips. However, it doesn’t take long for her to look back at him with peachy-pink cheeks and a subtle smile on her face. It was surprising, unexpected, and out of nowhere, but...it felt nice, Victor unconsciously placed a hand against the spot where she laid a kiss on him and… smiled.

“Why did you do that?” He asked her softly.

“That was my first time.”

“Lady Mirai?!” Julia almost fainted at where she stood before looking back at Victor with a deathly glare.

“In case, we never meet again.”

“What are you saying? I’ll make sure to say goodbye if I did. Did I say goodbye? No. So meet you tomorrow, okay?”

“I’ll be waiting.”

Julia grabbed the young man by the back of his collar and started to forcefully pull him away from Mirai as fast as she could. Victor struggled a bit. but when she finally let him go, the young man started walking beside her while rubbing his neck. Julia had this frustrating furrowed eyebrow on her forehead as she glared at the path in front of her. After pulling his hood up, Victor turned his attention to the irritated girl beside him.

“Look, I’m sorry. I didn’t know that she wanted to do that.”

His apology irritated Julia even more until a vein popped in her head.

“Sorry for what, make her happy? Six freaking years, I’ve been with her, I’ve tried everything, and never once she smiled like that at me.”

“I doubt that I make her that happy. She probably had more fun with you than me.”

“You don’t know her, and that’s frustrated me even more. One day with you is all it takes. Six long years, what the hell I’ve been doing all this time?”

“What was she like before I met her?”

“Polite. Proper. Quiet. Always keep to herself.”

“Not quite the Mirai I met.”

“Of Course not. Six freaking years!” Julia shook her head.

They arrived at the main gate, the guards watched them closely as they passed through. As they get further and further from the mansion, Victor leaned closer to Julia. He was immediately smacked by the girl before he could say anything. Her cheek was rosy red as she retorted away from the young man.

“Ouch! Why did you do that?”

“I thought you were going to kiss me!”

“No, I’m not! I just wanted to tell you that Mirai wants to be treated like a normal girl.”

“Oh. I don’t think I can. I owed my life to her. She deserved to be treated with more respect than anyone in my life.”

“That’s the problem. She’s just like you and me. Except she got everything, but nothing that she wants. I know. I’ve been there.” Victor tapped on the girl on the back before walking away, following the path toward town. Julia raised her chin and sighs as she watched the puff cloud pass by.

The sun still shines above Victor’s head, gently stroking his skin as the clouds passed by the sun. It wasn’t as hot as the afternoon heat, it was more soothing than that, the wind against his face, and the sound of breezes brushed against the grass was an example of peaceful scenery. However, a weighty thought resurfaced, he had to meet Keiko and continue his training as soon as possible, but before he left, he had to take a last look at the field of yellow-rich sunflowers beside him.

He continued his stride along the path again. It didn't take long for Victor to arrive at the town, as usual, he wore his hood and made his way up the tavern and into his room. After opening it, he was immediately pushed back outside by Keiko. The woman was carrying her bag and Victor’s own bag as if she were readied to leave.

“Where are we going?”

“We’re leaving.”

“What?”

“It’s about time we got a move on.”

“Why?” Victor grabbed on to Keiko’s shirt with a distressed look.

“Did you think that we are going to stay here long?” Keiko removed the young man’s hands and walked past him.

“No…”

“Then, let’s move.”

“Wait! I got something to do first.”

“Urgh, fine. Find me south of here. If you’re late, then, goodbye.”

“I won’t.” Victor took off into a run, down the stairs, and out of the tavern.

 

***

 

The flame on the candle swayed from left to right as each soft breeze blew its way through the gap of the sliding door. Mirai was sitting upright while reading a book when a brilliant idea popped up; she was thinking of bringing more delicious snacks for tomorrow and a board game for them to play. She hummed happily as she softly raised herself and made her way to the shelf where an assortment of board games was stored.

Julia opened the door, bowing first before entering and closing the door behind her. In her hands, a tray of cups and a teapot. She set in on the table and poured a cup for Mirai.

“Lady Mirai, it’s getting dark outside. You need to get yourself ready for dinner.”

“Julia, what kind of game do you think that Victor might like?”

“I don’t know. Maybe the one with the snakes?”

“Oh, it’s classic, he might like that. Also, I remember which one you like. I should bring it down too. Tomorrow, we can play it together.”

“Me too?”

“Isn’t it obvious? Yes, you too.” Mirai turned her head to Julia and smiled so brightly that it put the sun itself to shame.

“Lady Mirai… What is it you truly want?” Before Mirai could answer that, someone interrupted them.

“Mirai!” A familiar young man’s voice shouted from outside.

The fair-skinned girl quickly rushed to the sliding door, opening it; her eyes widened and her jaw dropped, thousands of sunflowers drifted in the air as the sun began to set, a bright orange sky accompanied that beautiful sight. Mirai searched for the young man and there he was, on top of the same tree he came in earlier; dirt smudges of his face and a large empty sack beside him, even from far away, Mirai could see his hands were dirty and scratched.

“Look, I’m sorry, I had to leave so soon, but I promise you, didn’t I? I’ll tell you when I leave.”

Mirai placed her clenched fist between her chest, “Don’t apologize! Thank you!”

For the first time, in Julia’s days spending time beside her, serving her, bathed with her, ate with her, and slept with her; never had she heard her lady shouted so happily before.

“I hope we can meet again!” shouted Mirai at the top of her lungs.

“Don’t jinx it!” replied Victor.

Victor grinned and thumbed up the tip of his nose. The guards came yelling and shouting, quickly, the young man took off by leaping out of the tree and onto the ground below. He started to run as fast as he could. Even getting chased by the guards, he was still laughing and grinning.

Mirai gently turned her head to Julia, “I want a friend. That’s what I want.”

Julia brought her favorite board game closer to Mirai, “How about we play a game right now before dinner? Mirai.”

“I would like that, Julia.” Mirai wiped the tear that escaped her left eye and smiled again at Julia. However, this time, her smile was different, more wistful and melancholy, but glad, that a new friend had appeared in front of her.

As the sun began to finally drown in the far horizon, the sky was darkened again. However, the darkness was not alone as it was escorted by a flurry of twinkling stars that laid out across the darkened sky. Victor ran and ran toward the south of the town. He was expected for Keiko to leave him already, but there she was, leaning against a tree with a frown on her face.

“You’re late.”

“Yeah, I know.” Victor shrugged his shoulders.

Keiko sighed and began walking again while Victor grabbed his bag from the ground, then followed her down the path. Behind him, the town was disappearing slowly as they entered the forest and continued their journey.

“The answer was water, right?”

“Took you long enough.”

“Well, hitting me doesn’t really help.”

0