Chapter 8: Into a New World
70 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Into a New World

I stood in fear, not of what was in front of me, but of myself. A feeling of despair, regret, and confusion wafted over me, threatening to pull me under. Thinking back on it, why had I actually taken the wrong path? It should’ve been obvious to me to spot that I was going the wrong direction way before I got to where I was now. And even then, why had I not asked someone for directions? I had given myself an excuse beforehand, but something about it doesn’t seem logical. Yes, an illogical person in an illogical situation. A situation that when presented itself to me, seemed so utterly absurd that I could only stare in disbelief.

 

It wasn’t that the person who stepped outside the house was a vulgar, middle age looking man, nor the fact that he stood in front of me as if waiting, demanding something, nor the fact that he explained to me what laws I was breaking at the moment, but the very fact that such a law existed.

 

In the end, I was forced to hand the child back to its owner. Some logically insane part of me thought that it wasn’t my particular obligation to look after such a child, but that was drowned out by the tears I witnessed welling in the child’s eyes. Almost as if there was a sliver of hope he placed within me that I so effortlessly crushed to pieces.

 

I watched the door close with a bang and I stood there on the street alone in silence. I knew I had things to do, places to be, people to meet, but I couldn’t tear myself from the wooden door of that building. A simple one at that, with no windows, a short handle, and rough yet clean surface, however what lay behind that door haunted me. The image burned into my retina and my mind as I realized that whatever world I had walked in to broke all my premonitions of society. I was in a different nation, a different society, as a different person.

 

I wasn’t really sure what happened after that. I had witnessed an injustice among humanity, and as much as I wanted to do something about it, I couldn’t. As I walked back to the central plaza, I started noticing more things with acute senses. The clanking of the chains, the raggedy footsteps of the children and adults, followed by the pristine clanking of the one in charge. It was such a dichotomy of reality that I didn’t really know what to make out of it.

 

At last, I made it back to the plaza. I wanted to ask someone for directions, or well, I kind of needed it. However, just looking at the people made a lump lodge in my throat. How could they stand so idly by, knowing what atrocities were being committed. I didn’t understand, I couldn’t understand, I wouldn’t understand. 

 

Perhaps it was due to my hypersensitivity, or maybe it was a gift graced by the gods, but I found myself at the foot of a map. How did I not notice this when I was first here? Perhaps I was blinded by my joy and the euphoria of exiting the hospital, a happy carefree sort of ignorant bliss to say. 

 

And so, I headed towards the correct pathway with unease within me. The luxurious buildings, the lovely flowers, the exquisite clothes on people’s shoulders and body, all passed by with a dull monotony. Before I knew it, I soon found myself at the foot of a tall building. Though, I wasn’t quite sure if it would be appropriate to call it a building. It was more of say, a structure. A large towering castle that stretched up above all the rest. It had a wooden frame around the stonework, making it look homely yet grand at the same time. The door in front of me was triple my height, which wasn’t much considering how short I was, but it was still impressive. It was clear just looking at the door that this place was way more impressive and distinctive from the rest of the town.

 

Just like Christine had said, there were two guards posted outside standing diligently. They wore light silver armor that gleamed off of the sunlight, contrasted by blue cloth and decorations that served as distinction. It was a complete opposite to the knights we saw back with Anniumpa with their smoky dark color and crimson accents.

 

As I approached, I could feel their eyes squint quizzically. They were staring me down with their gaze, almost as if they were wondering who the hell this girl was. I kind of understood their reasoning though. It surely would be strange for a small girl with fancy clothes and her hair tied up to walk over here by herself. If I recalled correctly, I was pretty sure such occasions would be ordained by a letter and a party, none of which I had.

 

“Uh- um, excuse me” I said with a weak voice that surprised even myself. They eyed me, as if gesturing for me to continue.

 

Taking a deep breath to calm my nerves, I replied, “I have a meeting with Christine Ehrenbuur”


I was currently in a rather fancy room. Tens of times more fancy than the room we were in back at the outpost, which I honestly thought was good enough. An exquisite carpet carpeted the floor, covering it with a fluffy and pristine reddish glow. Simple patterns repeated itself on the carpet, giving it a really delightful feeling. On the far side of the room, large panels of windows stood on the walls, letting in a violet light as it streamed through the tinted glass. Large curtains draped on either side, almost as if caressing the sides of the panes.

 

Christine sat at her desk, with me sitting on a separate bench nearby. Her brows were furrowed and her eyes were heavy with bags. She looked tired, and I was concerned for her well-being. 

 

After a while, she turned around to face me for the first time since I entered this room. I could see worry, fear, exhaustion, and love in her eyes. Taking a deep breath, she asked me

 

“I’m just going to cut to the chase. Are you content with living with me, or well, living under my care for the rest of your life?”

 

I paused a bit to take in the words, but without wavering, I answered with resolve.


“Yes, absolutely. I have nowhere else to go. You’re the only one who can help me uncover what I am.”

 

As soon as I said those words, Christine let out a big sigh which seemed to make her feel younger than she actually was. 

 

“I was afraid of what to do if you said no, but it seems like I was correct in my assumption. Okay, I’ve already made all the preparations”

 

“Eh?”

 

Wait what? Preparations? What is she talking about? Is that what she had been doing for the past week or so?

 

“Lyrah, you need to understand that your existence is revolutionary. It should be theoretically impossible by what we know of the world thus far. I’ve asked some professors about if such a thing is possible and each one of them said no. A human and a spirit are fundamentally different. If we could harness the power of a spirit, it would be a feat as great as the invention of the wheel.”

 

She paused, as she stared straight into my eyes.

 

“If another person or faction were to get a hold of you, say the Polteriest faction, your life as you know it would be over. Do you understand? I’m protecting you.”

 

I nodded, not really getting where she was going with this.


“So, from now on, you will be adopted into my family as my little sister.”

 

…huh? Wait what? Did she say little sister!? I haven’t even met her family yet have I? Is this even possible…?

 

Seemingly as if she read my mind, she continued, “I know you have a lot of questions in your head at the moment, and I’ll try to answer a few of them. The only reason, or well, the main reason this is even possible is because of your magic. You and I know that it isn’t traditional magic that everyone else uses, but they don’t know that. While it's definitely… difficult to emulate what you can do, it’s certainly possible. Especially in the capital where the highest level of magical knowledge is, they could easily replicate it. Magic to us nobility is essential. It is what keeps us separate from the rest of the commoners. I believe I’ve already explained this before, but in order to cast magic, you need a conduit, which is something only the nobility have.”

 

“But.. even then, would that be enough to justify me being adopted?”

 

“Not necessarily, however you’re very lucky” she said as she leaned in and whispered, “tell this to no one, but currently the empire is facing a shortage. A shortage of people who can cast magic that is. I don’t really know the details but, there're some problems in the capital currently,” sighing, she continued, “as such, every family wants more people who can cast magic to raise their social standing and replenish supplies. Under normal circumstances, you would be admitted under something like a servant, however as I stated previously, these aren’t normal circumstances. We can’t risk anyone stealing you away. Do you understand?”

 

“...yes”

 

All in all, I probably didn’t understand the gravity of the situation, or just how much I would have to do. But like I said earlier, I have nowhere else to turn to. I had stumbled into a world so vastly different from everything I know, that I would have to put so much effort into not looking out of place.

 

“We’ll finalize the process in a couple of hours, so in the meantime, I want you to prepare yourself by getting used to everything around here, including speech, mannerisms, laws, and everything else. It will be a lot to take in, but you got this, I believe in you”

 

And with that, we began to study. As we were mainly preparing for an upcoming meeting, we opted to prepare for mannerisms above all else. It’s extremely important to be able to appeal to people during your first impressions. The people you would meet could be essential as your future patrons.

 

“It is important to greet each other with utmost respect and diligence. My father personally won’t be ordaining this meeting, and as such, a representative will come instead. Though this is a rather simple matter, I want you to maintain appearances”

 

She then proceeded to show me how I would greet the person in the upcoming meeting. She got on one knee and crossed her arms in front of her, and recited,

“I behold the event in which we have met. For the skies and stars have given me this opportunity, I truly thank thee from limb to limb and soul to soul.”

 

Her voice flowed out with grace, like water on a calm stream. After she finished, she got up and did a curtsy.

 

“This isn’t necessarily the standard greeting for all occasions, but it should suffice for the adoption process. Now, your turn.”

 

Taking a deep breath, and clearing my throat, I tried to repeat it from memory.

 

“I b- behold the event in which.... we meet. The skies and stars have gave us this opportunity. I thank thee from limb to limb and soul to soul.” I said as I tried to emulate her. It was so embarrassing that I stumbled and got some words wrong. My eyes glanced over to Christine where she stood, her eyes filled with disappointment and disapproval.

 

Over the next couple of hours leading up to the event, we practiced and practiced until I got it to be passable. To be honest, it was very, very exhausting. We did the same routine over and over again, and somehow I would always stutter or miss a phrase.

 

Before I knew it, it was almost time. Christine quickly led me to her wardrobe which upon entering, made me gape in surprise. It was a room full of body-length mirrors that lined the walls, allowing you to see every single part of your body from every direction. The corridor in which we entered housed a compartment that was filled to the brim with clothes of all sorts of colors and designs. 

 

She led me to the center of the room in which she undressed me. It was a bit uncomfortable as usually I would be content with dressing myself, however it was still better than the other time I was undressed in order to get my magic checked out.

 

She then proceeded to go and fetch some clothes from the cabinet, leaving me all alone with the mirrors. Seriously!? Couldn’t you have like, undressed me after you got the clothes? I’d rather not be freezing from the lack of warmth!

 

At long last, Christine managed to single out three dresses for me to wear. In all honesty, they all looked splendid in my eyes. Each one was a dazzling array of colors with unique designs and frills. As much as I thought they would all suffice, Christine seemed to have different opinions. 

She eyed each one with those of a predator, looking to see which one would best suit me. Of course, we had to keep in mind the fact that my hair would be tied up. We couldn’t risk them uncovering my secret, even if tying up your hair in these occasions was a bit unconventional. Arghh! Why couldn’t you have given me powers without making this such a bothersome thing to deal with!

 

The fitting went pretty slowly as I wasn’t so used to the process. Something that should’ve taken 15 minutes or less ended up taking 45 minutes or more. We still had around 30 minutes until our appointment, so we were rushing to get things done. After getting dressed, Christine went into her drawers to pull out some ornaments for my hair. A long hair stick was inserted that was decorated with draping flowers on either side. After that was done, she quickly put on some blush on me, and we departed with haste.

 

It all went by so fast that I didn’t have much time to process what exactly had happened, however, I knew time was drawing near. We rounded a corner and came face to face with a large door. This door was so ornately decorated, that one would assume it would lead to a treasury or vault room. It was tens of times more fabulous than the entrance to the First Keep which paled in comparison. Christine took a deep breath and asked me if I remembered everything and was ready. I replied with a quick nod.

The door pushed open without a sound. So swiftly and clean that you wouldn’t even be able to tell the door had opened unless you were listening intently. A red carpet stretched out in front of us, leading to a desk on the far side. However, we didn’t enter yet. It was important to be acknowledged by the other party, even if you did have an appointment. Some servants that were posted outside entered the room ahead of us, notifying whoever it was inside that we had arrived. After a pause, I heard a rough voice gesturing us in.

 

I let Christine go first ahead of me, as it was I who was getting adopted, which meant I had to stay in the back. According to Christine, it was important to signify the order of importance when walking in a room apparently.

 

We made our way about 6 feet from the foot of the desk in which we issued our greetings. Christine went first, as was the way of nobility.


“The occasion we have met was surely graced by the stars above. I thank you ever so much for the opportunity, limb to limb, soul to soul.”

 

Picking up where she left off, I did my introduction as well.

 

“I behold the event in which we have met. For the skies and stars have given me this opportunity, I truly thank thee from limb to limb and soul to soul.”

 

My eyes flickered up from my now kneeling position to get a glimpse of his reaction. I could notice a small smirk on the man’s face, signifying that I passed. My voice and mannerisms were still way below par, but it seems like this should suffice for now.

 

“I thank the stars for guiding thou safely in their journey. May this occasion be graced in our body and soul.” He returned the greeting.

 

After he said that, we got up and I did a curtsy to signify thanks. As I was still new to all of this, I very nearly tripped and fell, but thankfully if he did notice it, he didn’t show any indication.

 

With that, we made our way to the desk where some servants that were standing on the side gracefully set the chairs in front of us to sit.

 

A piece of paper was laid out in front of us, which I presumed was the contract. The man on the other side picked it up, and started reading the contents. In all honesty, I didn’t understand much of it at all. The words and terms used were so out of my reach that it just wafted over me. Glancing at Christine however, she seemed satisfied so that assured me of its authenticity.

 

After he finished reading it out, he picked up a quill and signed his name with ink and passed it over to us. Looking at the bottom of the page, I recognized a few characters. Since The Sovereignty and the Lyraxlu Empire were so close geographically, their language was more or less the same, with a few minor differences. I remembered a few letters from back at the village, and that coupled with the bits of learning I picked up on while with Christine allowed me to recognize 2 names.

 

The first ended in Ehrenbuur, so I assumed that that was Christine’s father. The second I didn’t recognize at all, so I assumed that it was the representative in front of us. 

 

Now, the true test began. If I thought any of the things before were difficult, then this would be like scaling the tallest mountain in the world without any equipment. Memorizing and acting were all within reach, but now… I had to sign my own name. Theoretically it would be a simple task, but as I’ve never really written much in my life, my handwriting was crude. We spent the majority of the time leading up here practicing and refining my handwriting over and over again.

 

With the quill in my hands, I tried desperately to stop the shaking in my fingers. I eyed the tip of the quill shivering as if it were in a frozen void. Dipping it in the inkwell, I tried desperately to make sure the droplets of ink didn’t splatter on the parchment. At long last, the tip of the quill touched the parchment where my name was supposed to be written. A stroke there formed the first letter in my name. Another one there created another one. As I went along the lines, I dreaded the final part I would have to write. As names usually go, the first few sections were easy as they followed the simple alphabet, however certain parts of your name were done using characters or logograms. I formed the upper part of the character which represented freedom, and the lower part of the character which swirled to serve as an underline to my name which represented eccentricity.

 

After I was done, I grimaced and handed it over to Christine for her to sign. My letters looked crude in comparison to the elegant and beautiful lines of everyone else’s. However, I knew that they were way better than what I had previously. All that time cramming and fixing my handwriting was worth it. I would definitely have to practice a lot more, but for now, this was an amazing accomplishment.

 

After everyone was done, what happened next surprised me. The representative in front of me pulled out a needle and pricked his finger on it which caused a droplet of blood to form. He then pressed it on the parchment near his name which caused the blood stain to turn yellow. Wiping and handing the needle to us, and we did the same. 

 

After it was all over, the droplets of blood, which looked dry, started to move on the paper as if it were living. It creeped and crawled around until it reached my name. As I was a commoner, I didn’t really have a last name, and where my last name should’ve gone, the blood now formed the name Ehrenbuur.

2