Chapter 11: Preperation
124 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Preparation

Three months. You know, usually people think that three months is a long time. I mean, it’s 12 weeks, 84 days, 2016 hours! You would think that with all this time, you could stand to relax right? RIGHT!? So someone, please tell me why the hell am I being dragged across the entire city looking for supplies!!

 

It all started after I received news that I was going over to Fredereck’s… domain area? I don’t really know the terminology, but the matter of fact is that I’m being sent to the mines. Without my consent or say in anything mind you! Though, I suppose saying it like that makes it seem like I’m going to be working there, and thank the lords that’s not the case. I mean, just look at these frail arms. Do they really expect this weak girl right here to do any sort of heavy lifting? They’d probably get more mileage out of me by sending me in the complete opposite direction.

 

We’ve been in such a rush to gather things that Christine hasn’t even taken the time to explain to me the importance of why I needed to be going, though I’d infer it had to do something with the whole, magic crystal spirit sucky thing. Ughh, this is such a pain.

 

“Shut up. I can see it written all over your face. It’s not even that bad. Quit whining” Christine’s cold voice glared down at me. Eeek! Am I really that readable? I didn’t think so…

 

“Yes, you are very readable”

 

Bleh, what? I didn’t even say anything though… I guess I should keep a normal face for now…

 

“Over-forcing a stoic face isn’t going to help your situation. Would you just hurry up and get changed already?”

 

I sighed in defeat. I guess there’s just no getting past Christine. She’s usually very upbeat… kind of, but I guess this is taking a toll on her as well. We’re currently in a sort of… department store? I guess it would be more appropriate to call it an armory. 

 

Armaments were stacked against the walls, giving it a really fantasy-esque feeling. There were a couple of long tables in the center of the room lined with rows and rows of smaller items such as gauntlets, knives, lock picks, and more. Swords and shields hung from the far edges while mannequins wearing plated armor welcomed you as you walked in, almost like a royal procession. It would only be appropriate that an armory that welcomed such guests was suited in such a manner. Yes, this was an armory dedicated to the wealthy, thus was very sophisticated. 

 

Our goal here was to pick up a set of equipment so that I don’t die when I’m near the Yozei forest. Due to the relatively higher density of spirits in the area, one could never be too cautious. Plus, I didn’t really have anything at the moment in terms of fighting capability. When I was fighting Anniumpa, I didn’t have any armor. The staff that I used back then got burned in the hellfire that happened.

 

Which is why… in front of me right now is Christine holding out a chain mail plate of armor. Yes, you heard me right, chain mail. Handing chain mail to the girl who barely outran a couple of children chasing her. There is no way I could successfully wear something as heavy as that!

 

“No way. Do you know how heavy metal is? It’s very heavy. Not a chance I’d be able to wear that while still maintaining maneuverability”

 

“Can’t you just get stronger? I mean, I’m pretty sure mail is a good option…”

 

“Christine, we have less than a month and a half to finish preparing. There’s no way I’d be proficient enough to wield that properly”

 

“Ughh, I suppose you’re right. How about something like gambeson? I hear gambeson is both light and sturdy”

 

“Isn’t gambeson made of wool…? I’m not wearing wool into a place where there is a high likelihood of being set on fire from those spirits. Not looking to repeat Aeolian’s Post over again.”

 

“I suppose you’re right…” Christine’s dejected and mildly frustrated voice rung out.

 

Well, I’m sorry. It’s not like I want to be here either okay? This whole situation is just getting on my nerves. Though hmm, is it just me or was I more knowledgeable than Christine for once? Well, I have been studying a lot about this type of stuff. I definitely do not want a repeat of that previous fight. My injury proved as a constant reminder that I seriously need to wear armor if I ever get into a fight. I say constant because thanks to those kids crashing me down that stairwell, it extended the time needed to fully recover. Even now my shoulder still feels awkward. 

 

Interrupting my thoughts, the person manning the store spoke up in a gruff voice “If you’re looking to go to the Yozei forest, leather armor should do the trick. It’s fire-resistant so you should fare better against the heat-related spirits. I don’t think any armor is gonna help against the more dangerous ones though”

 

Hmm, leather armor huh? That was indeed an option. It’s not extremely heavy in the sense of chain mail, but it’s still quite heavy. However, the fact that it’s fire-resistant definitely puts a damper on my insecurities. I shudder at the thought of repeating another fire-related battle.

 

“Do you have anything on the lighter end in terms of weight?” You see, I am very adamant about the weight of my armor. No, I’m not making an excuse for my stick arms, but heavy armor is well just… plain heavy. It’s uncomfortable to move around in, and against spirits, I’d imagine I’d want the most mobility possible.

 

“Any lighter and you probably wouldn’t survive against some of the heavier attacks”

 

He did make a good point… but,

“Well, if I get hit by one of those, chances are I’m going to die afterward anyway, so there’s really no point”

 

He nodded his head, and I swear, I saw him smirk in defeat! Was he trying to get more money outta me? I don’t blame him… but come on! At any rate, I let a grin crack out at the thought of my small victory. 

 

After a short exchange, he fitted me out with a bit of a tighter fitting. It was still durable but it was definitely a lot more maneuverable. I contemplated adding some steel-plated armoring, but I figured it’d probably be counterintuitive to add it. I didn’t really pay heed to the cost, as well I wasn’t the one paying for it, so I just let Christine handle it. As for weapons... 

 

My eyes scanned the place once more. Most of the weapons that were lining the walls were heavy broadswords, used for more brute foes. Well, I suppose you also need to be one of those brutes to be able to wield it. Either way, those were out of the option. I was thinking about getting another replacement for my dear beloved staff; I mean, I already know how to use it. However, I’m not sure if it would be the right call.

 

Staffs are nice and all, but I don’t particularly fancy whacking a wooden enemy against an ethereal being. Speaking of which… ethereal being? How exactly do you kill something that you can’t hit? If you stabbed it… wouldn’t it just go through the spirit? You couldn’t exactly… burn it or anything either.

 

“Hey, Christine. How do you kill a spirit…? They’re not solid so… you can’t stab them or anything”

 

“Huh?” She looked at me with this surprised look of hers, “Kill it? You can’t kill one”

 

 

 

“What?”

 

“I mean, how do you kill something that has no organs, and is completely ethereal. You can’t”

She’s not wrong… but then… do we just do nothing? Upon seeing my confused face, she responded, “We just drive them away. If you swing enough things at it or throw enough objects at it, the spirits usually go away. That’s how we’ve always dealt with things”

 

An unstoppable foe..? Seriously? Though now that I think about it, not all hope is lost. There is that new life force draining rock that Fredereck discovered right? Using that, we can probably have a chance. And, we’re going over there to run some experiments anyway, so it’s a win-win!

 

With a newfound hope and courage, I started picking out some weapons. Christine said throwing objects at it would work well. So basically anything that can “collide” with its body. The problem is, if I get too close, I’m most likely going to die.

 

Running my hand over the table, there was a set of throwing knives. Perfect for what I’m going to do. The design of them was pretty plain, but that didn’t matter as long as they served their purpose. Throwing knives are nifty because they’re extremely lightweight and compact to carry. They also don’t require that much setup to use compared to something like a bow and arrow or a crossbow, thus making them the ideal weapon for me.

 

Even though throwing knives were great and all, they’re definitely not going to cut it. What happens if I run out of knives? I don’t think I even need to answer that one. So, in order to not nearly die a second… third time, I’m going to need a weapon other than throwing knives.

 

I needed something to use if something got close. Of course, my plan is going to be to keep my distance since close quarter combat is definitely not my forte, but it’s always best to prepare for the worst. Yes, preparing for the worst is definitely the right decision.

 

That being said… a short sword or a dagger could be useful. It’s not as big and bulky as a staff, but the problem is its reach. Arghhh, what am I thinking? Reach doesn’t matter if it’s already on top of me. 

 

I nod to myself. Yup, a short sword it is. I picked out one that seemed to work well and asked Christine to buy it for me. Yes, I know I’m a freeloader, but hey, older sisters gotta help the younger ones out you know? Flexing my younger sister status already you say? Pfftt

 

As I was busy thinking about useless things in my head, it seems like Christine finished the transaction. Thanking the shopkeeper in charge for their time, we promptly left.

 

As we exited the building, I was stunned. The sun is setting already!?!? And not even that, but thick clouds were gathering. I could’ve sworn that when we went inside, the sun was still shining bright and true. I was dejected. I was kind of looking forward to you know, a day well spent. Though, on the bright side, I guess this means I get to go to sleep sooner so it can’t be all bad!

 

With my vigor to sleep in radiating from me, I got into the carriage with Christine. I didn’t pay much heed to the bumpy ride. I’d gotten used to it by now. You know, it’s hard to imagine just how much my life had changed these past couple of months. I could’ve sworn just the other day I was lazing around… with my best friend. A fleeting memory, a fleeting feeling. 

 

Was it good luck that brought me here? Sure my lifestyle is a lot better than before, but thinking about it like that just makes it seem like I’m stepping on all the pain and misery that befell my village. All the transient hopes and dreams of the people there. I think the best way to describe it would be just a series of tragic events. My home twice destroyed, maybe it’s just calamity following me. Will this destruction follow me even here?

 

I sneaked a glance at Christine away from the passing buildings. Her bright smile, even though I know that she had her worries underneath. I couldn’t do anything about the family that I lost, so I must embrace the one I have right now. A sudden drowsiness overcame me, and before I knew it, my head had fallen on her lap, drifting into drowsiness.

 

Zzz…

 

Zzz… 

 

“Hey, hey, wake up” I felt a small nudge shaking me. Mhmmhmble, I mumbled. Just… a bit more sleep. Another nudge. “Lyrah.. Lyrah… wake up”. A sweet nectar voice sounded. Mhmble, my eyes slowly drifted open. 

 

From between the cracks, it was absurdly bright. What time was it? I don’t know. My foggy vision slowly came into focus, and what met my eyes made my eyes tear up.

 

In the far back, there was a fireplace brewing, its flames licking the air. The red bricks and walls around gave the entire room a warm fuzzy feeling. Directly in front of me, was a bundle of candles. Well, I don’t think that’s an appropriate description at all. Let me restart. A beautiful evergreen tree was erected in front of me. Upon its leaves, jutting out were countless candles, shining as bright as the stars. Yes, it was as scintillating as the night stars. As if it were manifested in this very room. 

 

Before I knew it, tears were streaming down my cheeks. They wouldn’t stop coming. I tried to wipe them off but they just kept coming. Why.. why am I crying? 

 

I felt a finger on my eye, brushing the tears away.

“Aw, don’t cry” Christine’s gentle voice brought me back. She wiped my tears away, and a deeply sentimental feeling overcame me.

 

She guided me up and walked towards the tree. I hadn’t noticed it before, but there was a box underneath it wrapped in some sort of… decorative paper. Picking it up, she handed it towards me.

 

“Open it. It’s yours!” Christine said with a bright and cheery smile full of love.

 

“Mine…? What do you mean it’s mine?”

 

“It’s Christmas silly. This is your gift!”

 

I was stunned. Christmas? It was that time of the year already? Back in the village, we celebrated Christmas by gathering around. Everyone in the village. Everyone generally stayed with their family, so I couldn’t sit next to Terry at all. Isolated in my own family and from my best friend, I watched people give others gifts. Of course, the decorations and everything wasn’t as elaborate, but it was definitely a sight to behold.

 

I took the gift from Christine with warm hands. I wasn’t going to be the outcast again. I wasn’t going to let this fleeting time leave me again. With a heartful nudge, I opened the box.

 

Inside was a bundle of wrapped cloth. Slowly taking it out of the box, it revealed a flourishing night-black cloak that wrapped around me, protecting me.

 

“... I won’t be able to accompany you in your trip. I know it’ll be dangerous… so the best I can do for you is to provide you with as much as my love and protection as possible” Christine’s voice rang out with a tinge of sadness.

 

She was melancholically looking out the window, watching the snow fall. Snow? Now that I looked at it, it was indeed snowing outside. The white winter wonderland, carpeted in white. Dawning the cloak, I wrapped it around both of us to ease both our worries.

 

We stood in silence for a time. Christine muttered under her breath, almost inaudibly, but I could hear it. “I don’t… want to lose another family member”

 

Pretending not to hear, I hugged her closer as we both watched the snow drift silently down.

Merry Christmas everyone! Though, merry Christmas to the people in my time zone. For some of you, Christmas may have already passed. I hope you enjoyed this little chapter, though it's a bit shorter than usual. Finals weeks is over and winter break is upon us, so it's a nice time to spend some time with family. Maybe that's why it's so family-oriented in this chapter. At any rate, I hope you guys enjoyed!

0