Chapter Nine
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 9

The Past Revealed

 

Dusk was setting in the western hemisphere. The sun’s rays were barely casting its light into the small crevices between the buildings and stalls of merchant’s storefronts. There were a few individuals that were making an inventory list or cleaning their drawers, but for the most part, all the local boutiques were closing early. It was like the port city was dead. The back of the white cotton dress Charlotte wore was fluttering violently against her pumping legs as she sprinted away from where she had been previously. She could feel some tendrils of her hair trickle out from the loose bun, but she didn’t mind it. It just reminded her that she needed to find help or any type of tool to bring back to Giselle to assist her.

The auburn did not want to leave the merchant to herself against some unknown assailant, but being without a weapon in that situation would have been much worse. If the eighteen-year-old learned anything this past year, it was this: you only do good to others if you are able to take care of yourself. If you could not even do as such, then you might as well get the hell out of the way.

Turning abruptly down an alleyway, Charlotte tried to remember where the fountain was located. If she could find Damien, he may be able to help that merchant out, but fate had other things in mind. Charlotte was racing down the alley, and before she could clear it to the next main street, she was cut off by a man. She skidded to a halt when she realized there was no way around someone emitting such a malicious intent.

What she also noticed on this person was a nicely sheathed rapier just asking to be used.

“The boss has been waiting quite some time to see your pretty little face, Lessye,” the man sneered, taking his sword out. “I guess it’s true that the stone grants its user with eternal youth.” 

Charlotte gave him a confused look by raising her eyebrow. “I don’t know who Lessye is, but I assure you, I’m not her.” The man didn’t seem to be listening because he was rubbing away something in his ear. “I don’t even know what stone you’re talking about. What fairy tales are you dreaming about eternal youth?” Charlotte was now just trying to find something to keep the man talking until she could find a better way out of the situation.

“You always were the elusive one, Lessye. Where’s your boyfriend at?” The man sauntered his way down to the girl, and she immediately took a step back for every two or three paces he made. It wasn’t long before she had stepped on her heel awkwardly that led her to stumble left onto the building’s wall next to her. This was all the opportunity the assailant needed to close the gap.

He dangerously waved his sword in front of her face as he used his other hand to firmly grip her forearm. She winced when he yanked her off the ground, and he began to pull her into him. “I think those rumors about you being a tough one to catch was a fluke. You’re as meek as a kitten.”

He laughed but found himself short of breath two seconds later. There was a soft thudding sound as if something like a rock or pebble had whacked him behind the neck, making him lose his breath.

Charlotte had used the available momentum he had provided her, by pulling her body into his, and drove her left knee up into the man’s crotch. She waited for him to release his hold on her arm, and when he buckled over like she expected, she karate chopped the vital point in his neck as it became exposed.

He collapsed into a heap on the pavement, leaving Charlotte to wipe her hands on the front of her dress. Normally, she would have been a damsel in distress, but after time and time again of being rescued, she was sick of playing the role. The sword he possessed was loose in his right hand, which she gratefully took. “I would apologize for my behavior, but it seems you can’t even hear anymore. I’ll return this later.”

She immediately turned on her heel to run back to where she was. If she was correct, only half an hour had passed, and if she could provide a means to help that merchant Giselle, then she was going to take it.

She sprinted as fast as her dress and sandals would allow her to do. It was then that Charlotte realized how some leggings or pants would benefit better for these types of situations. She’d have to ask Tyler or Damien about it when she met up with them. Surely, they were looking for her along with some of the crew. After all, it was way past the scheduled two-hour limit the blond set for her to explore.

Charlotte rounded the last corner before winding up on the main street, again only seeing a semicircle formation of militia men standing around the merchant. Giselle was heaving heavily with a sliver of blood dripping down her temple and an arm that was shaking from an unseen injury.

In front of Giselle was a man who seemed to haunt her memories from one year ago, except he had longer hair and a thinner figure than before. She could never forget that face though and hesitated in her sprint.

Her loud entrance allowed everyone to turn and notice her appearance from the alleyway. Hair disheveled, auburn hair a mess, the tiara somehow still managed to stay in her hair. And despite all the running and movement she did, she did not expect to be winded this quickly. Her dress was speckled with dirt and dust from the walls she happened to graze by as she ran.

“What are you doing here? I told you to get out of here!” 

There was no chance now that she was fatigued from battling the man with long brown hair and calculating coffee eyes. Charlotte merely tucked a couple of strands behind her ear and began to slowly compose herself. All that running was now hitting her like a ton of bricks; it was like her lungs and stomach were killing her.

“I wasn’t going to leave you to fend for yourself.” The girl wheezed but raised her acquired sword nonetheless. “After we get through this safe and sound, could you fix my hair again?” She gave the woman a smile and was surprised when Giselle started to laugh. Some of the men quirked an eyebrow at the estranged behavior she presented.

“If we get out of this safe and sound, I’ll do your whole crew’s damn hair.” The merchant went to lift her sword up a fraction to her opponent with her shoulder giving a shrug. She went into a defensive stance in front of her business. “Sorry, Zeke, but you’ll not get past me. Kiddo, get behind me and cover my back. We’ll be doing this in style.”

Charlotte nodded before running over to Giselle’s side and raising her sword. The men gave them another bewildering looks before some chuckled out loud. They were out of their league and still trying to beat them.

The one known as Zeke merely stepped forward as he brandished his sword again but was ignoring Giselle and staring at the auburn-brunette behind her. “Now who is this kitten?”

The girl in question snapped. She could remember the memories of their encounters as if they happened just the other day. “You have got to be kidding me. You were the one who threw me off that bloody cliff, and you ask me who I am? You killed my uncle, kin, and you have the gall to ask me ‘who are you?’” 

Giselle looked over her shoulder to the girl giving her a shocked expression. “He did what? Wait, when did you two meet?”

Zeke, on the other hand, was bemused by the accusation and laughed so hard he buckled over. Some of the men brought their attention to him while he clutched his sides. Apparently, whatever she said had been funny to him, and Charlotte was not amused.

“He came with Zaine and that Claire woman to slaughter everyone that I knew, and now he’s making fun of me.” She pouted from behind Giselle who gave her a quizzical expression.

“I think you’re mistaking him for someone else, like how he did with you and Lessye,” the merchant responded quietly to the girl who defiantly shook her head.

“I would never forget the face that killed everyone. His visage is burned in my memories and dreams for over a year. I know who he is.”

When he finally recollected himself, he wiped the corner of his eyes. “Men at ease.” Everyone put their swords back into their sheaths, but they remained in their semicircular formation, encompassing them between the buildings behind them and Zeke at the front. “Giselle, it is always a pleasure to bout swords with you, but it appears that I’ve won once again.” 

The woman scoffed before putting away her own sword as he gave a mock bow. “If you think this is the end, then you are sorely mistaken.” 

Zeke just waved her off with a hand motion. “Don’t I know it?” he replied before putting away his own sword. “Now that I think about it, he was playing a sort of game with both sides.” 

Giselle sheathed her blade before motioning for Charlotte to sheathe her own. Charlotte, unsure, kept the sword in hand but lowered it to her side.

“My name is Zeke, little kitten, and I was not the man who killed your family. The reason why we came was because there were rumors of a woman, Lessye Shannon, being in the vicinity. No wonder, the boys thought you might have been her. You do resemble her.” 

Giselle dropped a protective arm in front of Charlotte, making her objective known.

“Giselle, I’m not interested in her but rather her mother,” he replied in a bored tone before Charlotte quirked her own eyebrow.

“My mother has been dead for years. What interest is there for her?” 

Zeke merely shook his head. “You are clearly misinformed about many things, my dear. She’s a part of that accursed Protector’s program and has manipulated my men to no bitter end. She even managed to allude my best trackers, and they cost two dreggs more than my buddies’ salaries here. I’ll have her back here before long though. I can say that much.”

Giselle angrily shook her head. “It will be highly unlikely that she will come back here, Zeke. Especially after what happened between you two. My nephew joined her because he wanted to keep her from even more pain.” 

Zeke ignored the merchant and just stared at the auburn-brunette, realizing that everything was still not clicking together for her. “I see we’re getting nowhere in this conversation.” He pulled out a couple of tickets from his vest and walked over to Giselle and Charlotte. Zeke then handed the tickets over to the auburn-haired girl. “If you really want to know the truth, come to the masquerade ball at my estate. I’ll reveal everything for you at close to no price. A fitting deal, is it not?” 

Giselle looked down at the girl who hesitated in grabbing the tickets.

“You are curious, are you not?” Zeke said aloud, and Charlotte snatched the tickets from his hand.

Giselle offered her advice on the situation, “This could be a trap.”

“Then you can come along as well, Giselle. The more, the merrier, in my opinion.” He smiled slightly before turning on his heel and leaving the vicinity. “I’ll be waiting for you at my estate.” He gave a brief hand salute over his shoulder, and his fifteen quirky militia men followed him in formation.

The merchant sighed before turning to the girl. She could see the burning determination in those hazel eyes that made it harder for her to say “don’t go.” “Let’s fix your hair, shall we?”

Charlotte nodded with a grim smile. “Thank you, Giselle.”

۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞

It didn’t take long before Charlotte’s hair was at a presentable point again, but her attire was not appropriate enough to go to a ball, especially one of elegance and magnificence. Giselle collected her things that she needed and began walking down the street toward a majority of the shopping districts were, and Charlotte followed after. “I have a couple of dresses that may fit your figure. If we’re going to a ball, we have to look the part. I’m sorry that your dress is a mess.” 

Charlotte shook her head as they walked down the streets. The lamps on the sides of the road began sparking on as they made their way.

“I stumbled a couple of times, and I also did knee and elbow a guy who blocked my exit. It could have been worse.” She chuckled softly before they stopped in front of a building labeled “Giselle’s Shop.” The window showed all these little intricate jewels and trinkets for young girls, ladies, and older women alike. The merchant took a key out and unlocked the front door. The bells jingled as she opened it, allowing the girl to come inside.

“Wait a moment while I get the clothes ready.” 

She walked away before Charlotte walked over to the window to stare outside. She knew she should have found Damien and the others, but this was a problem she had to solve now. Any information dealing with her family or even her family’s killer could potentially help in the long run. Charlotte just would have to accept whatever punishment would come when she met up with them again.

Giselle had appeared from behind the back door with a couple of formal but contemporary dresses. They were cute in appearance and had appropriate color schemes. There was one that was floor length with a high neck and had long sheer white sleeves. A white petticoat underneath it was showing bluntly, but that appeared to be a part of the style. On the bodice was an emerald green wraparound shawl that tucked around the bodice with the help of a black corset.

The other dress was spaghetti strapped, pure white, accompanied with a tan corset and dark brown ties. The dress was pleated at the chest and flowed straight down to the knee; in the back was a sheer white tail that dropped just below the corset and hung pointed near the ankle.

The latter dress was given to Charlotte while Giselle took the first one. “This should fit you. Hurry into it so we won’t be late. I hate being late to these types of things.” She was going to leave the store to give Charlotte room, but the auburn stopped her with a question.

“Why are you doing so much for me? You don’t even know me, and yet you’ve risked your life and business for me.” 

Giselle gave her a sad smile before handing her a white feather fan and leaving her alone. The silence was a deafening answer in response.

۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞

The two women arrived at Zeke’s estate just as the fireworks started to go off. The whole entire port must have been there because people were billowing from everywhere. What was even more surprising was that the estate was able to hold them all and still fit in more people. The men at the checkpoints of the entrances were taking tickets from patrons entering, and as Giselle and Charlotte approached, they took their tickets and paused.

They looked at each other before radioing to someone over a broadcast about what they should do as it was a different ticket than the other guests. Once radioed in, a gentleman in a gaudy tuxedo appeared who then ushered Charlotte and Giselle to follow him inside. They followed him for five to ten minutes before arriving inside the main estate. The room was elegantly decorated with gold-and-silver trimmed chandeliers and bright pearl white tiling under their feet. It was filled with dancing couples doing similar dances to the ballroom waltz and the Vietnamese waltz throughout the dance floor. Even more astonishing were all the people with masks and disguises on. On both sides of the dance floor was a staircase that wrapped up to the second floor where the butler was leading them to.

“These people come from everywhere in this port, and tonight is a night where poor or rich can all come together under the disguise of a mask. Nobility, status, culture—everything is put aside so that Refrazzya can celebrate in peace,” Giselle explained behind her feather green fan, looking off into the distance. She was staring at some of the girls giggling near the punch table. “This building itself is Zeke’s headquarters that he uses frequently for the people. There are other facilities that he uses for his own personal usages. Whatever he may be doing is kept behind closed doors.”

The butler ignored Giselle as she further explained the function of Zeke’s operations in Refrazzya, but it was when they reached the halfway point of the stairs that made Giselle stop. Someone was calling a name out from the floor below them, causing a slight disturbance.

“Is that Charlotte? Charlotte!” The voice was a soft tenor voice of a boy with glasses, and Charlotte turned her head to the noise. 

Giselle just thrust her fan open and covered the girl’s face. “Do not react to them. Keep walking please.” 

Charlotte shook her head away from the fan before looking over her shoulder. The masses of people were astounding since she couldn’t even see who was calling her, much less respond. 

“If they are your friends, you can meet them afterward, I’m sure.” She looked up at the butler and, with distaste, clucked her tongue. “Let’s get this accursed meeting over with.”

They had reached the top of the staircase and were then escorted by two men with swords attached to their belts. They were dressed in tuxedos but still remained in combat position. They then checked their personal belongings and then checked them for weapons. Charlotte was uncomfortable by the rubdown the man gave her, but it was immediately over with when the thought passed.

“Zeke is waiting for you in the room at the end of the hall. Do not go into any of the rooms on the right or left sides. Do you understand the instructions?” 

Charlotte nodded her head fervently while Giselle clucked her tongue once again. “Men like you are always so stuffy.” She flipped her fan up into the man’s face, hoping he’d react, but he didn’t flinch.

“If you would continue down the hall, ma’am,” he spoke with authority, and she sighed. 

They walked down the hall, keeping clear of the doors mentioned not to go into and reached the double doors at the end of the hall. Charlotte looked at Giselle while the butler accompanying them opened the door for them.

“Announcing Miss Giselle and Miss Rothschild to Zeke.” 

Charlotte gave the butler a shocked expression but was ushered into the room without voicing a single complaint or notion on how they knew who she was.

“Welcome to my humble abode, madams. Please have a seat.” Zeke was standing by the window in a white tuxedo with a red tie on. His hair was slicked back into a stylish ponytail, and his bangs were lightly touching his forehead. In his right hand, he was holding a glass of chardonnay while looking outside. He was the only one in the room, and it was effectively so when the door shut closed behind them.

Neither Charlotte nor Giselle approached the seats but rather walked over to the desk and stood by the front. Charlotte was clutching her fan in her hands with sweaty palms while Zeke sipped his wine. 

“We have quite some time to ourselves since I won’t be making my appearance until the sound of the midnight bells. Plenty of time.” He moved over to his desk and sat down in his seat before looking at the woman before him. “The seats will not bite you, but if you would like to remain standing, feel free.” He smiled before taking a sip from his drink. “Where shall I begin?”

Charlotte looked at the man sitting before saying what came to mind from earlier that evening. “My mother is dead, but why are you interested in her? Further, how do you know who I am? I never introduced myself to you or anyone in Refrazzya.” 

Zeke laughed at the abrupt question and placed his drink down. “Straight to the point. I like you. This must come as a shock to you, my dear, but I assure you that you are indeed the well-renowned Charlotte Rothschild because you are the daughter to Brian Rothschild and Lessye Shannon. The ring on your middle finger also indicates you are from that clan, which surprisingly very few people know what the emblem looks like. I just happen to be the rare exception. That is how I know who you are. As for your mother, whatever alias she had when she was living as your mother I do not know, but she is alive and currently running.” 

Giselle looked down at the girl, seeing the shocked expression come across her face.

“Running from what?” Charlotte asked, and Zeke smiled.

“The stone. Or rather, she’s running with the stone. She’s protecting it.”

“You must be joking. All of this comes down to that stupid stone legend? It doesn’t exist,” Charlotte echoed emptily, realizing that from recent events with Xavier’s and Damien’s newfound abilities were in fact dealings with the Relic stones. 

Zeke must have realized that she hesitated because he smirked at her when she dropped her gaze from his eyes to the ornate flooring of his private office.

“It isn’t a joke,” the woman beside Charlotte replied sadly, making the girl snap her direction to the merchant. “The stone is real because I’ve seen it. Further, I knew who you were once I realized you recognized her in the photo. I’m sorry for lying to you, but it was for your protection. I didn’t know if these guys would use you as bait against her.” Giselle bit the bottom of her lip.

“A couple of years ago, I might have used her daughter as bait, but seeing as how she didn’t raise a finger to save her husband or son from those pirates, well, I knew she wouldn’t do the same for her.” Zeke gave a sympathetic glance to Charlotte who was still in shock.

“My mother is alive . . .” Charlotte muttered, and Zeke just shrugged charismatically.

Giselle snapped her feather fan shut, gathering Charlotte’s attention. “Charlotte, you must snap out of it. I know of the dangers you are in, but you have to realize one thing. Your mother did this to protect you and your family. She couldn’t allow those pirates to get the stone.”

Charlotte backed away from Giselle slightly and dropped her own feather fan. The plastic clicked against the flooring in a soft echo.

“We should piece together from the beginning for Miss Rothschild’s sake, Giselle,” Zeke said in his velvet seat. His fingers were lightly drumming on the oak table while he spoke softly. The older woman merely nodded her head before allowing him his narration.

“Lessye’s family was a part of the state from many years past. She actually was initiated into the Protector’s program when she hit her sixteenth birthday. This program had been running for centuries. Like everyone thought, the stone wasn’t just a legend. As the years passed, Lessye had met Brian who then had you and your little brother. It was then that the stone appeared into existence. No one knew how it happened, but your mother was the one who discovered it, and she took it to someone she trusted. She didn’t want anything to do with this power because she gained a family. Well, unknown to her, her friend had taken the stone she offered them and sold it to the highest bidder. Seven years later”—he paused to allow the girl a few seconds to digest the information—“the highest bidder began creating more stones within the state as a backing force. It was from there that they began to gain more powers beyond human comprehension, claiming it was for the good of humanity. It is unknown how they created them, but I know it is something dark and grim. Normally, I can find out anything that I want to about any organization, but this particular activity was kept as a highly classified secret. There were a few star pupils around fourteen to fifteen who were tested upon to see how many stones a human could possess as well as finding which was compatible with whom. If you’d like to know more, I’m sure Elliot Cheric and Simone De La Croix could answer your questions.” 

Charlotte gasped as their names came up, and Zeke laughed. 

“Shocking that they were involved? Hardly, since it all comes down to relevance and connectivity. The state soon found out that the possibilities were endless. The true stone was a gift from a world beyond our comprehension.”

Giselle walked over to a spare chair in the room and sat down. 

Charlotte remained rooted where she was in front of Zeke’s desk, asking, “What does this portion have to do with my family? My mother?” 

Zeke merely scoffed at her before continuing, “Elliot and Simone were students of your father. It was through their disappearance that your mother finally got involved. She was furious. She went against the State to get the stone back to prevent any further tragedy like that to happen again. She hunted down the officials in charge, freed the test subjects, and stole the stone.” He smirked before seeing Charlotte trying to remember something.

“My mom left for a business trip when I was seven. . . It couldn’t. . .” 

Zeke clapped his hands to her recollection. “It was. Eleven years ago, she left to collect the stone and kept it safe under her protection. Your father had found a safe location for his students shortly after, and then he stored the stone in his estate to prevent further human testing. He did this, hoping that with time, everything would fade. Normally, that would have been the case, but the powers that be had other means. Less than a year later, they subpoenaed Lessye to appear in court for treason. Lessye took the stone and disappeared into the night. She left her husband and two children behind. Of course, this made the state go into a frenzy, trying to find her, but she knew a few people who would help her. That was Giselle’s role in this tale.” He gestured to the woman sitting in the chair now, and she waved her fan.

Charlotte turned to Giselle and tilted her head. “So I’m to believe my mother left because she possessed the true stone, and then she approached Miss Giselle for help.”

Giselle nodded her head at the statement before continuing, “It is as he stated. She came to me in a disheveled state and asked for my assistance. She needed assistance from my nephew who had also undergone testing because of the stone.” Charlotte furrowed her eyebrows. “My nephew Luke was compatible with one particular stone he found. After examining it, she called his ability a defensive Relic.”

“Wait . . . Luke?” Charlotte paused and grasped the front of her corset. “I think I met him on the outskirts of . . .” She gave an alarmed look to both parties since she didn’t know if she should have said that.

Zeke immediately caught onto this tad bit of information and inquired more, “Where did you meet him?” His aura before that was amicable, but the mention of a location immediately turned his amicableness into hostility.

“The Deserted Islands . . . but that was nearly a year ago. They surely can’t be there now.”

“Was there a woman with him?”

“I don’t know,” Charlotte answered with a scared expression. “I had a concussion at the time. I don’t remember much or even how I arrived where I did.”

Zeke clucked his tongue in distaste before taking a large gulp of his wine. “Giselle, continue. It appears the information I’ve wanted was a year too late. Still, I suppose it’s better than nothing.” He made a note to check the islands while Giselle continued her story.

“Luke left with Lessye later that evening, and I hadn’t heard from them since. From then on, the rumors started going around that the Protectors had been trying to stay hidden. They had managed to hide their tracks well, but they made their way back to the surface again. There was a time about five to six years later when people started to disappear. The state had issued several warnings to their admirals about commercial and auxiliary vessel ships disappearing, but they didn’t do much else to stop it. Everyone assumed that the ships were being scavenged and rampaged by pirates, so security personnel were hired and placed on any vessel heading to and from any port.”

Zeke drummed his fingers on the oak table before interrupting Giselle, “So your mother and Luke start investigating the cause of the pirate attacks, shipwrecks, and possible connections with some already-premade stones from the original. Lessye and I had been relatively on the same level, working toward a common goal, except this one particular time she ignored me and went along her way. I could only inform her through Luke that it was not a smart idea to pretend to be passengers on the vessel Argentine.”

Charlotte gripped the front of her corset tighter and gaped. “That’s the same vessel that . . .”

“No need for melodramatics, my dear. All your family was on this vessel except for you. I sometimes wonder why that was.” He gave her an inquired look before shrugging. “She boarded with Luke and practically watched the ship get torn to bits. A portion of the passengers were taken hostage by a group of pirate thugs with mystical powers that no one had seen and then taken aboard the pirates’ ship. It was rumored that Zaine was on that pirate’s raid with his subordinate. What was that kid’s name?” Zeke paused in his recollection before snapping his fingers.

“Right, Aden Summerfeld. The kid with red eyes. You’re traveling with him, are you not?” 

Charlotte blanched at the information and gripped her fingers tightly into a ball. “Aden has green eyes. What do you mean by red? It couldn’t be him,” she questioned, but Zeke ignored her.

“Whoops, that was something I wasn’t supposed to mention. Forget it. This is where the details get puzzling. Luke dropped all contact with Giselle. I did find out through a third party that she and Luke escaped from the vessel using two large lifeboats full of about one hundred and fifty people. Many of those folks unfortunate enough not to have made it onto the lifeboats such as your father were pronounced as killed in action or missing in action. A couple of months later, I heard that Lessye and Luke had destroyed a facility that belonged to the state, which led me to believe that she had all but given up on saving any of those patrons. It was after those events took place that your younger brother returned unharmed and with amnesia.”

Charlotte slipped down into her chair. “Why didn’t they do anything?”

Zeke took a drink from his glass, effectively emptying it and grabbing the bottle of Chardonnay at the corner of the desk. He poured himself a full glass before continuing, “Love knows no bounds, isn’t that right, Giselle?” he smirked at the woman sitting silently in her seat. 

She snapped her fan shut. “Our marriage was absolved, Zeke. Quit torturing the girl!” 

The man merely flicked his free hand in the air as if theatrically wounded. “Doth the lady wish it so?” He sipped his wine before staring at the girl in the chair in front of him. “It was at this time that you were adopted by your uncle who was campaigning for fleet admiral in the state. There was a brief time where he was kept in the dark about the state’s secrets and forced to go to war on the sea for countless months or years on end. When you were transported with your brother to his estate, he prepared for an arduous fight against the king of pirates. Some say they had four first-generation stones made from the true stone, but the truth never made the public’s ear. The state had kept the true stone under wraps because they could never explain to the public how more of those stones were created without shooting themselves in their own foot. Your uncle started to realize this slowly through the battle as well as when he was elected to fleet admiral two months after the mysterious death of Trenton Schurk. He knew that someone had purposely set him up to have those stones so they would have a means to attack him. It would have appeared odd to suddenly assassinate someone without a motive, so the state did what it could. They set up a motive for those pirates to attack. It only took two to three years to fully set up the trap. Now here’s where things get interesting,” He smirked when Charlotte comprehended what he was saying. “The pirates and the state are in cahoots with one another because of a higher authority. Now it’s only a matter of figuring out who it is. Let’s discuss what happened to you, Miss Rothschild, on that cliff that eventful day a year or so ago. The one you’re looking for happens to be someone with my face, but I was nowhere near your uncle’s humble abode. Now how could my personage be there without it being there?”

He posed an intricate riddle for the girl to solve before continuing on. Zeke needed to know if he was dealing with someone smart, and while the chances were that she was a defenseless and clumsy person, she may still have some hope in her yet.

“It was not you but someone who took your image to trick me?” she worked out, unsure of her own answer to the riddle. 

The man with coffee eyes stared at her before laughing. “Looking from a logical point of view, can someone change their appearance? Possibly, the stones could allow a power like that to exist. No, a logical solution to this riddle would be that this person who flung you off that cliff with the intention to hurt, maim, slaughter, kill, and keep silent would be beyond a doubt someone related to me. If that person was a relative, that could mean he is my . . .”

Charlotte breathed out the word, “Twin. He’s your twin. That’s what you are telling me.”

“And the girl wins the grand prize.” Zeke threw a trinket to Charlotte, and she caught it delicately in her hand. It was a box with an indented gear piece shaped like a sun in the place of a lock. “That was your uncle’s trinket he gave to me. He told me that when you did show up at my doorstep, I should give you that. I wanted to make you work for it.” He grabbed his glass of wine and drank from it while Charlotte stared at it.

It was small, like a music box, and when her fingers pried at the edge of the crease, it would not budge. The only clue to opening it would be that gear-shaped sun thing. “It won’t open unless there’s a type of key.” The man in the chair nodded his head. “I’ve tried over fifty different locksmiths in the area, and not one of those idiots could open it. There’s no point in keeping it if I can’t even open it,” he replied darkly before putting his drink down. “Now, Miss Rothschild, let’s get back on topic. My twin, as you know, is the one who tried to kill you. Why do you think he wanted to kill you?”

That was the same question Charlotte was trying to solve this entire time. Even now, she couldn’t figure it out. She pocketed the device into her corset’s pocket for later inspection.

“Nothing? That’s a pity since you and your brother may possess a hidden power that could effectively stop him in his efforts.” 

Charlotte gaped at this before shaking her head. Those dreams all year had been telling her to seal the stones, but how could she? She didn’t even know what she could do.

Zeke saw Charlotte recollecting her thoughts while he pulled out a paper and pen. He jotted down some notes before looking up at the girl. “You know what I’m talking about . . . which means you are the one.” He smiled before storing the paper away, and Giselle looked alarmed.

“What did you write, Zeke? The girl is dead in name. What good would it be to stir the waters by mentioning her to anyone?” 

Zeke swirled his Chardonnay in his glass with an expertly trained hand. “It’s a swapping of information, but if that will not suffice as explanation, consider it the price you’ve paid for all that information I’ve given you already. You cannot deny that this information has given you a clearer mind on what you have to do now, Miss Rothschild.”

The girl in question was pondering everything, but somehow, there were still pieces that didn’t fit in. Further, she was unsure of whether or not this information was actually genuine.

“Why do you know all of this information?” Charlotte suddenly inquired, now unsure of who to trust. This man seemed to know way more than he should have, and now that she knew he was related to her family’s killer, she was even more wary. How could she be sure he was telling the whole truth about the situation? What was more surprising was that she was taking this way too calmly.

“I know all of this because I have an entire fleet of men and women at my beck and call. When I want something, I take it, and when I’m paid a service, I do the job that is required of me. All these incidents and events that have happened, I’ve researched, explored, and travelled continents to figure out the mystery. All for my buyer’s purposes.” He placed his drink down.

“You, my dear, are in the thick of things, and I don’t have an interest in participating in this battle. I’m nothing more than an information broker, and I cannot be of assistance to my clientele if I’m dead.”

Giselle rose from her seat to place her hands on the desk. Her fan was tightly gripped in her left hand as she spoke, “Do you think Viktor wants you dead?”

Zeke merely drank from his glass. “Giselle, you know the answer without even asking. I invited you two ladies here because I had been paid to deliver this information to you tonight. The buyer was particular about me handling certain bits out, but that was their decision. Now that my role is done, I only have this to say to you, Miss Charlotte Lionsheart.” 

Charlotte swallowed the hard lump in her throat as he interlaced his fingers together on his desk and showed just how much he knew about her without actually having to move an inch from his shiny estate.

“I will not lift a single finger to help you. Unless you give me payment, I will never refuse a new client. To save my skin, I must remain neutral. For Refrazzya’s safety, I must ask that The Phoenix leaves as soon as your repairs are done. The next time your crew comes into my port, I will require more dreggs to keep you obscured from my brother. Now, as an observer I shall watch with a close eye. I will not lie, you will suffer. You will wish that you had never involved anyone in this, and you will wish you had died on that day at the cliff. Take heart my dear, as the rest of your adventure plays itself out. It will be an honorary story to remember.” He raised his glass to the girl sitting across from him and tipped his glass in her favor.

Charlotte gaped. She staggered to pull herself up from the chair, and realized the danger she put everyone in. 

Giselle cursed, “This is why people hate you, asshole!” 

He downed the entire glass in front of them, savoring her nickname.

The door to the office opened, startling Charlotte and Giselle from their stupor to reveal a butler holding a bottle of red wine for Zeke. The clandestine man ushered his butler forward to pour him a new glass.

“Wilbur, escort these two ladies out to the first floor. They must be anxious to celebrate with their friends.” He stared at Charlotte when he said this, causing her to further blanch. She completely forgot about her friends while they were discussing the past.

“To your new adventure, Miss Lionsheart.” He drank from his glass, as she retreated from the room. 

Giselle followed closely behind her as they walked down the hallway, past the checkpoint to the hall, and stopped at the top of the stairs to the dance floor. Many of the guests still danced, arms locked and tiptoeing through the gush of people billowing through. At the bottom of the stairs were two guards holding back three people from getting up the stairs.

“I don’t care who the hell is up there, but I’m not letting Zeke touch a hair on that kid!”

Charlotte and Giselle stared down at the occurring event, and Giselle waved the girl forward. “You need to escape reality for a while. Celebrate with your friends and enjoy yourself.” The older woman opened her fan and waved it in front of her face. “I, on the other hand, am tired and want to head home. I’ve had enough for one day. Come to my shop later if you wish to discuss more in detail.” She walked down the stairs where the security guards had no choice but move. It was a relief for the guards at the bottom of the stairs when the girl walked past the first set of guards to head on down the stairs. She only needed to pass this last checkpoint before making it to the first floor, which would effectively stop the three people bugging them with their accusations against their boss.

“Bestie!”

“Charlotte!”

“Do you know how worried we were?”

Charlotte raised her hands up to cover her mouth and nose, realizing that while she had been through a lot, she had discovered her friends were always going to be by her. Even as Zeke’s ending speech rang in her memories, she made her way down the stairs to where everyone was waiting for her.

When she passed security, she was pulled into a tight hug by Xavier who was wearing his masquerade mask sideways on his head. Dean was standing in his formal tux that had a tail and form-fitting naval pants.

“What did that Zeke prick do? I always hated that son of a bitch,” Xavier muttered aloud while he crushed the girl in his embrace.

“I’m all right, and I’m sorry to worry you.” Charlotte squirmed under him, and Dean lightly picked up a strand of hair that had tumbled out from her bun.

“I noticed you were with Giselle. She’s a quirky shop clerk but has the best prices for ladies’ accessories. Cute hairstyle.” Dean smiled before swinging his arm around a flushed Damien’s shoulder to bring him into the circle. He was in a normal tuxedo with a bow tie and a mask in his hand. His blond hair was swept back, but it somehow still managed to look like it normally did. “You should have seen how flushed this one got when he arrived at the ship. He looked like someone had murdered his puppy in front of him.”

Damien stepped out of Dean’s grasp and looked to the side. “I was just worried . . .” he muttered before snapping back to Charlotte. “And you were supposed to meet us at the fountain! Do you know how long we searched for you?” 

Charlotte sweated before raising her arms in defense. “I’m sorry, I’m willing to accept any punishment you have in mind, and I got caught up in—a lot,” Charlotte trailed off before looking at her feet. She wound up lost in the middle of a town she had no recollection of, became a hair model, attracted attention because she looked like her not-dead-but-now-long-lost mother, and found out that everything that had happened in her life had been plotted out by someone who might also happen to be paying Zeke to tell her substantial information to keep her on her journey of discovery. Finally, revealing that everyone she knew could potentially be a traitor or working for Zaine. 

“Anything?” a new voice quipped from beside the four, and Charlotte turned to find herself staring into the gleaming and mischievous eyes of her best friend. “Then when tonight’s festivities are over, you’re grounded and will remain on ship until further notice. Also, you will have someone accompanying you of my choosing. Is that clear?” She gave that tone where no was not an option, but Charlotte would take that any day than not see her for another year.

“That’s appropriate.” Charlotte smiled. 

Olivia stared at her friend for the longest time before breaking eye contact and turning to the table with the refreshments.

“Then that solves that. I’m going to get food then.” 

The inventor put on her lacy masquerade mask where her usual goggles rested on her head and walked straight to the table where the food was located. Charlotte could only give a shaky laugh at her best friend’s behavior.

Dean shrugged, having known that it was the typical Olivia being herself, and dragged Xavier onto the floor with him. “Let’s go dance!” Dean said, and Xavier chuckled in response. Damien and Charlotte watched with bemused expressions as Dean tried to then lead Xavier into the waltz but stepped on the top of Xavier’s shoe.

“Since we’re here,” Damien muttered with a flush on his cheeks. He raised his left hand up in an offering for her right hand. “Would you like to dance your worries away?” 

Charlotte stared into his blue eyes for a second before smiling brightly. She carefully placed her right hand into left and nodded cheerfully. “That sounds wonderful Damien.” 

The boy in response just flushed a bright red and stuck his masquerade mask on his face to cover the beet red on his cheeks. He directed her in with the flow of dancing traffic and then began a slow ballroom waltz that they then shifted into a faster version.

Throughout the dance, the two had been chuckling and laughing away the night until someone with black hair and a white mask tapped on Damien’s shoulder. He was dressed in a tuxedo and had a red tie tucked into his black button-up vest. The scorching emerald eyes seemed to be accentuated more from the white mask he wore. “Damien, the Gizmo Queen requested your immediate presence.” 

Damien bit back a laugh. “It’s more like she is ordering my immediate presence for something work related. If you’ll excuse me, Charlotte, Aden.” Damien paused in his exit before handing Charlotte’s hand over to Aden, who reluctantly took her hand. “You should relax and dance too, Aden.” He smiled when he was leaving, especially with a “you two have fun!” remark right after.

Charlotte and Aden both stood awkwardly in the middle of the dance floor while the other guests were dancing around them. While one was thinking how much of a nuisance this would be, the other was thinking of what Zeke had mentioned no later than half an hour ago. They stood at an impasse before Aden finally stepped forward and took a dancing stance. “Let’s just get this over with,” he replied, and Charlotte blinked. 

Grasping his left hand, she lightly placed her left arm alongside his right. He straightened up so that he had a firm frame. His right forearm and hand found the spot right at the crook of her dress and corset.

“I didn’t know you knew how to dance,” Charlotte replied, and Aden grunted.

“They teach ballroom to everyone in the academy. Andy was our instructor at the time.” He glowered at the memory, causing Charlotte to sweat a little, trying to find a decent conversation to have.

“I learned how to dance from my tutors. You know, Mr. Nielsen is now—”

“I know, you probably had etiquette training as well.” He interrupted her from continuing about their common instructor. 

Charlotte nodded, easily adapting to his change of topic. “I’m sorry for lying. I mean, about my name. I just—I didn’t know if you were good people.” Aden stepped in tempo, guiding them through the throng of masked guests.  

“You kept slipping up. It wasn’t hard to figure out that you belonged to nobility.” He gripped her hand where she wore her clan ring. “I don’t like when people lie to me.” 

They danced from one dance, into the next. The music changed from a fast pace, into a slower quartet of strings. Aden led them away from the brightly lit dance floor, dancing to an open balcony where the music could still be heard. There seemed to be no one around as they danced in the moonlight. 

“I learned that the hard way. A moment please?” 

Aden stopped their dance to allow Charlotte a moment. She looked up to the sky and gave a sad smile. “I think coming here was a bad idea.” 

She could feel his stare upon her face. Before she could explain anything more, he grasped her chin to look at him directly. His green emerald eyes welcomed her hazel ones as she remembered the dialogue from Zeke. 

Aden responded to her statement with a frown. “All actions have consequences, good or bad. I think we need more time before deciding such things. Unless you know something I don’t?” The auburn could sense he was testing her, waiting to see if she’d tell him the truth or if she’d lie once more. 

She raised a hand up put some distance between him and her. “Can I have one more dance? I promise you’ll have everything after.” He gave a blank stare, and it almost made Charlotte jump when he finally moved forward. He grabbed her extended hand. “We’ll dance here.” The music had changed to a faster pace, a fast ballroom routine. They danced a few steps into the routine before Aden said. “One dance for one favor.” 

This snapped Charlotte out of her reverie. “What?”

Aden who had danced her to the edge of the balcony had immediately increased the footwork by changing the style, causing Charlotte to stumble a couple of times from shock. He then directed her in a couple of swooping circle formations before effectively slowing down to a ballroom waltz once more.

“I am quite mad at you.” 

“I said I was sorry.” Charlotte exclaimed.

“It’s not for that.”

Before she had time to respond, he changed the style of their dance patterns. Charlotte couldn’t keep up with him, so she tried to follow the footwork as best as possible. He had started to circle her around. He continued this until she stepped on his foot. “What on earth are you trying to do? Kill me while dancing?” Not fazed by her foot, he slowed back down to the regular ballroom waltz for the last time. He smirked before ending their dance just as the string quartet had strung their last notes in the air.

“You stepped on my feet numerous times, and you say I’m the one trying to kill you?” He gave her a smirk while she fumed under his gaze.

“I wouldn’t have stepped on your feet if you hadn’t of changed the style of dance in that short amount of time. A good lead would signal to the lady, signifying what he wanted,” Charlotte replied, and Aden took that as a challenge. 

He gripped her waistline closer to him with a firm tug. “Is that a good enough signal for you?” he breathed out, and Charlotte flushed a deep red, turning her head away. She lightly pushed his chest back so he would release her from being so close, but he merely kept her there.

“Aden,” Charlotte whispered out, longing to know who he truly was. With everything processing within her head from Zeke, and the mystery behind Aden Summerfeld, she began to ask him. “This might be weird, but about five years ago, were you ever on the—” 

Before she could finish, the bells signifying midnight had come, and this made Aden snap his head up to look into the dance hall. There was a man standing with a white tuxedo, looking down at the crowd dancing. He raised his glass to the crowd as they cheered for the anniversary of Refrazzya. 

People were beginning to dance once more, or breaking off into smaller cliques to gossip. Aden turned to Charlotte. 

“Five years ago?” He narrowed his eyes. 

Charlotte nodded her head, but before she could ask, a butler holding a bottle of unopened wine approached them. The raven haired male turned to their new arrival. 

“What is this?” He asked the male who gifted them with the bottle. 

“A present from Master Zeke. He sends his regards to a Charlotte Rothschild.” 

Aden tensed, gripping the bottle in his hands. The auburn looked to his hands, and noticed for the first time the scars on his skin. The butler left them as soon as his task was done. When he was gone, Aden grabbed her by the arm.

“We should go,” Aden replied darkly and pulled Charlotte to walk briskly beside him. “We’ll continue this talk later.”

The girl followed, thinking to herself that she had enough of Zeke for a lifetime.

0