Chapter 13 : The Decision (2)
83 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Walker enters the house and saw that his mother still didn't come and he knew that she is still working overtime.

he sighed he didn't like how his mom work this late and that made him more firm on choosing the path of basketball with all the risk that he would be facing if the injury recurred.

the other reason why Walker didn't choose to quit basketball because it will take him a long time before earning a respectable salary that will help their situation.

Since the college tuition going to be expensive, Although his grades are good they will not grant him a college scholarship.

Moreover, if he landed the scholarship somehow, it will take years for him to get a degree, in addition to the difficulties to land a job nowadays.

Walker also didn't take the basketball career as an easy one because after his injury his chances to make it to the NBA are small, but what lead him to this decision was the story that he heard from Henry and then the system that will be helpful during his journey.

After taking his decision, Walker needs to tell his mom about his decision, before starting to plan on how he will succeed in his basketball career even though he knew that it will be hard for his mother to accept his decision.

Walker knows why his mother is going to be against his decision because she is afraid that he will be injured again and her protective nature will be naturally against his choice of pursuing a basketball career because the dangers that he is going to be facing.

While Walker was in the middle of preparing dinner while thinking of a way to break the news to his mother.

The door was opened when he saw his mother exhausted after her working overtime he was more convinced that he took the right decision.

« Mom go take a bath, dinner will be ready after you finished bathing,» said Walker

« No need let me help you prepare dinner first then I will take a shower, » said Sophia

« It's okay I could handle it myself so go take a shower »Walker insisted

Sophia saw how Walker was insisted, she was happy that she had a son that was caring for his mother.

« Okay, » said Sophia

Walker continued preparing denier while pondering of how he will break the news to his mother.

After awhile Sophia finished her shower and then go to the dining table and found everything was prepared neatly, a smile appeared on Sophia and was happy that her son now is healthy.

After they finished eating Sophia Asked

« how was the examination today and what the doctor told you »

« it was good the doctor cleared me, and now I am healthy » replied Walker

« That's good that you are now fine, is there is any college that you want to go too after graduating from high school, » said Sophia with a smile and happiness written over her face

« about that, I have something to tell you... »said Walker with hesitation

Sophia felt something wasn't right

« No don't you even think about it, » said Sophia

Walker froze for a moment

'did she know what I was going to tell her » Walker said to himself

« you are going to go to college don't you think that I'm going to let you work after you graduate from high school, » said Sophia with a little displeasure heard from her voice

Walker sighed a relief « that not what I was going to tell you » said Walker

« then what ?» said Sophia who start to feel anxious

« About that, I decided to continue playing basketball and go to the NBA,» said Walker and anticipation and anxious in his voice

Meanwhile, Sophia when she heard what her son said she froze for a moment.

«No no we Talk about this Walker you just get back from an injury I don't want to see in this situation once again so no basketball okay walker, » said Sophia with anxiousness

« Mom I'm okay, and basketball is the career that I wanted mom, and don't worry injuries not happen that often, » Walker said while trying to ease her anxiousness

« I don't care you already got injured, and I don't want to see you again in the hospital so, please reconsider, » said Sophia with an angry and anxious voice she tries to control her emotions but she failed, and her eyes start to get watery.

« Mom please it's not like I 'm going to a battlefield, I'm just going to play basketball so please don't cry »

« Non...*sob*...I don't care...*sob* ..... if you love me...*sob*...quit basketball »said Sophia while her emotional state was not stable.

Walker saw his mother crying, he felt like his heart was getting cut by a knife. He didn't want to see her crying but, he must continue playing basket.

« please stop crying Mom and don't put me between you, and basketball, you knew that I love you. But I love basketball too, and injuries like mine don't recur that much. Also, when uncle Henry got injured once again, he retired, and nothing happens to him. Still, his injury was more severe than mine. So, please mom, give me this chance if I got injured once again, I will quit basketball as you wish,» said Walker also his eyes start to get watery.

Sophia stopped crying when she heard him talking about Henry's injury, but she was sure that Henry never been injured in their college days.

When Walker finished the story that Henry told him. Sophia was sure that the story that Henry told Walker was his dad's.

« please quit basketball there is no need to continue pursuing this dream there I a lot for you to see in this world,» tried to pursue him and she seemed desperate.

« Mom, I love you but this my decision I will keep the promise if I got an injury I will quit basketball, » said Walker

Sophia felt helpless because of the stubbornness of her son that reminded her of her husband .

She had this conversation with Walker's father when he got injured in college, but he was stubborn, and didn't listen to her, and was close to losing his life after that final game.

Sophia was frightened that day, and she still regrets why she didn't try hard enough to stop him. Although the surgery that he had was successful and retired after it because he has a chance for survival in the accident that leads to his death but due to the damage that happens to the brain during his college days and in addition to the accident impact he died because of internal brain bleeding.

« Are you really going to continue playing basketball? » asked Sophia with red eyes after she stopped crying.

« Yes Mom that is my decision, » said Walker with a pained expression

« Okay, » said Sophia gets up and goes to the bathroom.

Walker was puzzled with her answer and didn't know how to react should he be happy that he got his mother approval or sad that he the one that always trying to put a smile on her face just made her cry.

Walker didn't know that this situation was going to escalate to this degree he thought that he could handle it. But seeing his mother reaction, he was close to reconsidering his decision.

Walker vowed that he will be an NBA player and give his mother what she deserve then walker walked to his room with expectation for what the future will hold for him.

0