Chapter 47
1.1k 5 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I hope you liked the chapter and story so far. A question that isn't related to the story or writing. Has any of you tried 'Subverse'? Is it any good?

Entering the cage, a different referee told me to wait near the red marking.

 I tried to erase what happened just now from my mind and focus on the fight. Doing a light warm-up, I stretched and jumped up a few times.

 Approximately a minute later, I was called by a referee. But this time, I wasn't taking notice of what he said. My eyes were focused on the opponent, trying to gauge his weak and strong points. He was half a head taller than me. His body was so slim that I doubted if he was in the same weight category as me.

 Unlike my first opponent, this guy was baring his teeth which were covered with a mouthguard. His expression coupled with his reddish skin, almond-shaped eyes, and a top-knot as his hairstyle, he probably wanted to intimidate me?

 "Huh." As he was skinny as hell, I couldn't help but doubt him.

 "You may touch your gloves." Hearing the referee, the guy gently shook my hand, giving me one last sneer.

 Both of us backed down to our starting positions near the cage.

 "Fight!"

 After hearing the command, both of us started moving closer to the center. But this time, I wasn’t as nervous as during my first time.

 "I would've probably felt the same way with sex if my first time was normal." Keeping such thoughts to myself, I started doing my usual footwork and concentrated on the fight.

 A quick jab to probe him, and his defense, was evaded by a sidestep. Still occupying the center of the cage, he lifted his knee, probably, to throw a kick, so I quickly slid away. A second later, I knew it was a feint.

 My opponent was moving his body all the time, doing all kinds of small sharp jolts in different directions. He was shuffling, constantly making small leaps, moving here and there, whereas I was trying to stay still, sliding on the ground.

 Jolting to the side, I wanted to hit him with a short swing but met his jab. Swatting his first punch away, I tilted my head to the side so that I could avoid the second punch.

 As he stopped jumping to make these punches, I saw an opening to utilize my strength and exploded.

 "BAM!" I felt the first left swing connecting with his arm, used to defend his face. Starting to walk forward, I threw a light punch with my right arm. It went from inside out, almost as if I wanted to whip him. He swatted the strike away and started moving back while half-running.

 Upping my speed, I stayed in close range and swung my left hand once again. As I saw that this punch won't rattle him even a little bit, I started moving even faster.

 After failing with my punch, I leaned down, and my head was already on the level of his stomach. My right hand grabbed his hip, and a second later, my left hand was on his hip as well.

 Using the inertia from everything I did, I grabbed him and started running in a straight line. Two seconds was all it took for me to feel his body bouncing back at me.

 "UGH!" Along with his grunt, I heard the netting of the cage creaking after an impact. Still controlling his hips, I lifted my body while staying as close to him as I could.

 My face was now on the level of his shoulder. His left hand was grabbing my waist while his right started rhythmically thumping my ribs.

 During our spars, usually, what came next, was yanking his legs down. But it was too late, as I've already raised my body. My hands made their way to his back while I endured his punches.

 What to do?

 Glancing down, I saw both my and his legs, and an Idea came to my mind. It wasn't easy to execute but considering our complexion differences.

 "HUUGH!" As I hugged him tighter, I groaned from the strain.

 Clenching the mouthguard tighter, gathering my strength, I exploded. Leaning my body backward and to the side along with his, I started lifting him. Once I made a bit of an opening while the guy tried to stop me, I added my legs to the equation and added rotation while accelerating the fall.

 Executing a belly-to-belly suplex, after a loud thud, we were now lying on the ground. With me in a mount position, albeit we were still hugging each other.

 Now it comes to what I trained a lot. A game of tensing our muscles at the right timing and making the right moves.

 My right hand landed on his ribs. My right hand went over his head as I was preparing to lift my upper body. As he was still holding my body, it wasn't the time, but when he went towards my sides to punch me, I immediately put my hand over and lifted my upper body.

 Losing control of the pace, he wanted to tie me up in the guard once again, but I started landing punches from over the top. I tried to be precise and thwart his attempts at overthrowing me.

 After five or so punches which he barely blocked, he suddenly moved his lower body. I felt him turning around and dragging me down. Using my hands to leverage didn't help me, as he managed to gain control.

 Now, reversing our position, he was on top. Yet unlike me, he didn't want to lift. I tried to hold him, but he started slithering away like a snake.

 The pacing of the fight slipped through my hands, and I needed to bring it back. I started moving my lower body, but it was too late at the moment.

 My opponent spun on top of me. Exercising the speed I didn't even know was possible, he caught my ankle. I didn't know what, exactly, to do and tried to kick him, but it was too late. His hands were already holding my leg tightly.

 And a second later, "ARGH!" I tapped after feeling the pain in my leg.

 Fuck, it was painful! After his trap unhinged, I was simply lying on my back.

 "DAMN!" I slapped the canvas and stood up. Fuck, how could I lose so stupidly, I should've gone for a submission myself.

 "You all right, buddy?" A hoarse voice came from my back.

 "Huh?" Turning around to see who it was, I saw my opponent.

 "Your leg?" He pointed both with his eyes and head to my left leg.

 "I guess?" The pain went away as fast as it came, but I knew that this was a temporary feeling. When adrenaline washes off, the pain will come back.

 "You are a tough guy, train a lot, and you would rate fairly high in the world." Unlike how he was before the match, my vis-à-vis was now cool, calm, and collected.

 Hearing his consideration, I squeezed a single word "Thanks." I was angry at how the fight went, and I was frustrated.

 "You should work on your jiu-jitsu." seeing the referee losing his patience, he finally surrendered his spot next to me. "Good luck."

 "You too." It didn't matter to him that I was annoyed or angry. He still showed a great deal of consideration towards me. As it calmed me down ever so slightly, I waved back at him.

 "Fighter Erlig Grimes." Finally, it was the turn of a referee.

 "Yes!" I didn't know why but standing near referees made me nervous. It made me feel something akin to a mix of fear and respect towards them.

 "Our physicians would look at you and any damage that you possibly sustained to appoint a treatment if needed."

 I nodded while trying to look him into the eyes.

 "After finishing everything, you are free to go. The results would be ready in a week. It would be sent to your personal email as well as the place where you train." He glanced at the people that were carrying a small stool, as well as... Was it medical tools?

 Whatever it was, I was left in their care. After those guys confirmed that I was alright and ended instructing me, I was left to my own devices.

 Walking down from the cage, I started unwrapping the tape that helped my gloves to hold. Doing so, I didn't notice how two people came near me.

 "A shame that you lost, but it was to be expected. He would win the whole thing." It was Paul's voice, and he sounded as if he already got over everything that happened. Most importantly, he looked relaxed.

 "Why do you think so?" I didn't expect to hear such an evaluation of my opponent.

 He scratched the back of his head. "It's his style. As you are a novice, you probably didn't notice it. Your opponent, he probably trained in jiu-jitsu only." He showed me his fist with two fingers and moved them quickly. "The way he quickly subdued you. And the fact that after going to the ground, he let you play for a minute."

 I didn't see it like this. But Paul, by being a senior and looking from the side, should know better. I continued to unwrap the tape.

 "What should've I done?" I was curious when it went wrong.

 "Hmm." he rubbed his chin. "You know what I would say." he stopped and glanced to his side. Following his gaze, I moved my own eyes and saw Jessie. Standing near calm Paul, she had a sour expression, as if she ate a whole lemon.

 "I would like to say that you need to take a rest." He glanced back at me. "You would review and analyze these fights when you return to the training regime. Right now, we need to let you rest first and foremost."

 "You can go take a shower and change your clothes." Jessie continued Paul's idea, but her voice was really dry.

 "Now that you mention, I do need a shower." Finally getting the gloves off I went in the direction of the changing room.

 "And by the way, after you finish dressing up, there is someone who wants to talk with you."

 "Who?" I turned around and inwardly raised my eyebrow. Who could possibly want to talk with me here?

 "It's the lady over there." Paul interrupted Jessie and pointed to the benches, where a single young woman stood.

 She didn't look petite, nor did she look plump. She wore high heels, thus making her a few centimeters taller than average. She wore a simple pink sweater with a large woolen scarf. Her legs were hidden by a long beige skirt. She had short, raven black hair that was combed to the right side. Her lips were red and plump, and her eyes were lightly adorned with makeup.

 "Teacher Rose!?"

 "Oh, she is your teacher?" Paul lowered the edges of his lips and widened his eyes. "She didn't mention it when we were talking."

 "Don't mind it."

 I didn't know how to react to this, I almost grabbed my forehead out of surprise and frustration.

 What the hell was she doing here?

 Noticing my gaze, she waved her hand, flashing me a smile. Her overly energetic waving didn't leave any choice other than waving back at her.

 "You should hurry up and change. Don't make her wait anymore."

 I grumbled something inaudible as my answer I went away from the pair of my trainers.

 Resigning to my fate, I quickly squeezed into the changing room and found a shower room there. Evading other people, I managed to wash and change into my clothes. Putting everything into my bag, I went to look for my nosy teacher.

 How did she even know that I would be here today? And why? Did something happen?

 No, I shook my head. Judging by her reaction, it wasn't something serious. Nevertheless, I didn't want to get involved with her. It was my gut feeling, but I had a hunch that she was troublesome.

 As she stood up, being a non-sport-related person, I spotted her easily. She occupied the side of the bench and talked with Jessie and Paul.

 "Teacher Rose, what brings you here?"

 Whatever they were talking about, all three of them fell silent.

 "Erlig, I, of course, came here to see how my student fares." She stood up and dusted off her skirt.

 "Erlig, we will wait for you in the car. You can take your time and talk with your teacher. We need to discuss something as well, right?" Paul looked at Jessie with his steely gaze. After Jessie reluctantly nodded, Paul took her and walked away.

 Thus I was left alone with Rose. What should I do? Thinking like that, I looked at Rose, who acted all sneaky, squinting her eyes at the backs of Paul and Jessie.

 "Uhm…" I wanted to break this awkward silence but didn't know how to do it.

 "So, what happened here?" Ensuring that my companions went off, she turned to face me. Her dainty fists clenched hard, and her eyebrows furrowed.

 I stated the facts. "It was a qualification match?" However, Seeing her so angry, I wasn't sure that it was the correct answer.

 "And why haven't you told me anything about it?" she crossed her arms and her cheeks started bulging out as she pouted. "I barely managed to come in time for your second fight."

 Feeling the pressure of this woman, I was desperately trying to gather my thoughts. And so we just stayed here.

 One pouting woman, and one flustered young man.

20