Chapter 18
342 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zhou RenShu stood beside Liu Yong. He wanted to speak but the man before him beat him to it. “I’m going to take you to my work today.”

 

“Why?” Zhou RenShu wanted to tell Liu Yong he didn’t blame him for what happened but the words were stuck in his throat, an anxious feeling crept up into his stomach once he heard Liu Yong would be bringing him to work. Liu Yong stood up and cleared the table then came back. “Go shower first, then we’ll leave.”

 

Zhou RenShu slowly entered the bathroom, once the door was shut Liu Yong packed Zhou RenShu’s clothes into a small bag. The bag had a seal written on the inside that allowed it to have infinite storage, just like Liu Yong’s. Inside along with the clothes, multiple health and cultivation vials were placed inside along with the beloved Kokeshi doll. In Liu Yong’s palm were the two necklaces Wu Yun had removed from Zhou RenShu. He wanted to put them in the bag but decided against it. Liu Yong stood outside the bathroom and knocked gently. “RenShu, give me your pajamas so they can be washed.”

 

The door opened slowly, Zhou RenShu was standing there naked with an arm full of clothes. Liu Yong took them but Zhou RenShu didn’t close the door or go back to the shower. Liu Yong only looked at Zhou RenShu’s face. “Go back in, you’ll get sick if you stay out without a towel.”

 

_ _ _ _ _ _

 

The drive to Liu Yong’s workplace was quiet, Zhou RenShu was relieved when he saw everything in their shared room was how it usually was, if he had seen Liu Yong’s bags all packed together then he would have started to panic. He didn’t notice the small bag inside Liu Yong’s pocket. 

 

Once the car was parked Liu Yong walked in time with Zhou RenShu small strides. Even though everything seemed perfectly normal, Zhou RenShu still felt something wasn’t right, he nervously held Liu Yong’s hand, once he felt the strong hand wrap around his tightly some of the anxiety lessened. Inside everyone that the two men walked passed stared in shock. The great Liu Yong is holding hands with someone. Is it a child? He’s been on desk duty for almost a month. How did he find a child?

 

Zhou RenShu shrunk into Liu Yong’s side as they walked to the elevator. Liu Yong led the nervous Zhou RenShu to his office. Once the door was shut Liu Yong took the necklaces off of his wrist. Zhou RenShu had wondered where they had gone once he woke up but he didn’t want to bring it up to Liu Yong in case he got angry. “Come here, I’ll put them on. This time no one should be able to remove them.”

 

With his new level of Cultivation the already hard to detect seals were near impossible to see or feel. Zhou RenShu felt the stone once the chains were connected, it was still warm to the touch. Liu Yong felt sorry as he watched Zhou RenShu fiddle around with his necklace, the pair to his own stone. “RenShu, today you’ll be going to see an apartment that will be your new home.”

 

“Are we no longer going to stay in the hotel?” Liu Yong held Zhou RenShu’s small face in his palms, he wanted to say that the apartment would be for the two of them but he couldn’t. “No, I live in the dorms here at work. The apartment will belong to only you. After today we won’t be seeing each other again.”

 

The words almost stuck to the lump in Liu Yong’s throat as he watched Zhou RenShu’s eyes fill with tears, small hands gripped at his clothing, refusing to let go. “I don’t blame Liu Yong for what happened though. It was all because of my venom! We can remove it when my glands fill then throw it away! You don’t have to leave me.”

 

Zhou RenShu buried his face into Liu Yong’s chest as he cried heavily, Liu Yong was forcing his own tears away when a firm knock sounded at the closed door. Hearing the knock worsened Zhou RenShu’s fear as he cried out louder. Liu Yong tried to take a step back but Zhou RenShu clung to him like a frightened baby. The person on the other side of the door heard the loud cries and opened the door.

 

“Liu Yong? What’s going on?” A middle aged woman stepped inside, the people outside of the office heard the loud cries and tried to get a good look before the door was shut in their faces. Liu Yong picked Zhou RenShu up to try and console him but this only ended in his hair being pulled while soft punches landed against his shoulder. “No~ I won’t go. I want to stay with you. I don’t want to be left alone.”

 

“RenShu, calm down. This is best for you. You’ll be safe living in the apartments and classes have been set up for you too.” Liu Yong’s words had no effect on Zhou RenShu as he continued to scream out. The woman stood by the door watching Zhou RenShu’s actions without talking. Liu Yong crouched down and hugged Zhou RenShu close. He no longer tried to console the small boy since it was having no effect. “Don’t leave me again, I don’t want to be left alone again.”

 

Zhou RenShu weeped into the crook of Liu Yong’s neck, he no longer punched and wailed like a child but it was evident he didn’t want to be away from Liu Yong. The woman watched curiously in silence. Liu Yong felt a strong pain in his heart but he couldn’t risk the safety of Zhou RenShu anymore. He stood up and turned around with Zhou RenShu still in his arms. “Ms Wu, is everything ready?”

 

“Yes, will I be taking Zhou RenShu from here?” Zhou RenShu already iron tight grip tightened even more, his small nails digging into Liu Yong’s flesh. Liu Yong patted Zhou RenShu’s back gently. “I’ll come see the apartment too.”

 

Ms Wu looked at the small man clinging to Liu Yong before she turned around, leading the way to her car. When Liu Yong walked past his coworkers he kept a firm hand on Zhou RenShu’s head, if the small boy were to look up, he would see multiple eyes staring in bewilderment. Whilst sitting in the back of Ms Wu’s car, Zhou RenShu had calmed down enough to sit in his own seat, though it was the seat beside Liu Yong.

 

He pulled Liu Yong’s hand into his small lap and traced around the aged calluses, the contrast in their skin was extreme. Zhou RenShu’s whole hand only reached the first knuckles on Liu Yong’s fingers. He then turned the large hand over to compare their skin colour. His hand was pale like snow and his small veins could be seen clearly while Liu Yong’s was a toasted wheat tone, his veins stuck out with a deep green colour. 

 

Ms Wu kept her eyes on the road but every now and then she would peer at the small boy in her mirror. Liu Yong had noticed every glance and stare but said nothing. They drove for close to twenty minutes. Parking outside the apartment building Zhou RenShu would be living in the group of three made their way inside. As they waited for the elevator Ms Wu made a small explanation. “I’m Ms Wu, I am a social worker. This building is owned by the same people Liu Yong work for. All the residents here have been in similar circumstances to you or worse. There is rent but it is cheap and you will be set up on government funding as we try to find you work.”

 

The elevator finally dinged and they entered the small space, Ms Wu kept talking. “Tutoring has been set up for you, if you wish to continue your studies then you can be moved to a school dorm if you wish to live on campus. If you have any questions, I will leave my card with you. It is best if you call me.”

 

As she spoke her last sentence she moved her eyes from Zhou RenShu to Liu Yong. Zhou RenShu hadn’t really been listening as he held Liu Yong’s hand with both of his. Making sure to keep a firm grip in case the man tried to run away. Liu Yong faced Zhou RenShu, turning his back to Ms Wu. “RenShu, do you understand everything Ms Wu said?”

 

“Why don’t you want to live with me anymore, that night really didn’t scare me. It wasn’t your fault either. I really don’t blame you, Liu Yong!” Zhou RenShu’s voice was a soft whimper as he hugged Liu Yong, once the elevator stopped Ms Wu cleared her throat, waiting for the two men to exit the elevator. There were four apartments on every floor. Ms Wu walked to the third apartment and unlocked the door. There was a small table for two and a sofa in the living room adjacent to the kitchen, in the bedroom there was an already made bed along with a desk and small closet.

 

“It’s big enough for two people.” Zhou RenShu looked expectantly at Liu Yong, Ms Wu was also looking at LIu Yong expectantly. Liu Yong ignored both sets of eyes staring at him as he looked around the small living room. Once he had seen everything was set like how he had ordered he looked at Ms Wu. “Wait outside, I need to talk to RenShu alone.”

 

Ms Wu narrowed her eyes before she left and closed the door. Zhou RenShu quickly pulled Liu Yong down onto the small sofa. There was even a small TV sitting opposite them, giving the illusion of a homey living space. If he stays he’ll eventually agree to not go. I just have to be patient! Zhou RenShu kept a firm hold on Liu Yong’s hand as he reached forward to grab the remote. 

 

He almost couldn’t reach but with his finger’s still clutching onto Liu Yong’s hand he stretched his short arms. Liu Yong took the remote from Zhou RenShu and held the small face in his hands again, no matter how hard Zhou RenShu tried to get away to go back to his plan, Liu Yong’s grip was too hard to get out of. In the end he was forced to face the reality that Liu Yong would be leaving him. “I’m doing this not only for your safety, RenShu. Do you think you can stay locked up in a hotel room forever? Aren’t you lonely whenever I leave?”

 

“I’m not lonely as long as you come back, as long as I have you I don’t feel lonely.” Tears slid down Zhou RenShu’s face then onto Liu Yong’s hands, the lump had returned to his throat as he forced himself to cut their ties here. Even if I can’t spend the rest of my life with you, as long as I know you’re safe, that’s enough for me. “I’m sorry, RenShu. That’s not the type of life you should live. From now on I can’t be a part of your life.”

 

Liu Yong kissed Zhou RenShu on the forehead then stood up, he walked to the door even though Zhou RenShu was tugging on his clothes, trying to get him to stay. Once the door was open and Liu Yong took his first step out Zhou RenShu collapsed to the ground in despair, his broken cries shook his frail looking body. “Please~”

 

Even though Liu Yong was feeling like his world was shattering he still shut the door behind him and walked to the elevator. Ms Wu was standing beside the door but she wasn’t given a second glance. Once the elevator doors opened, Liu Yong’s cold voice that everyone was familiar with called through the corridor. “Make sure he’s taken care of. I’ll make my own way back.”

 

Ms Wu watched the cold and lonely man enter the elevator, she could hear muffled cries coming from the room beside her. After a few minutes the crying still didn’t stop so she could only knock on the door and re-enter. “Zhou RenShu, on the counter are your bank details as well as a new bank card, this bag was also packed by Liu Yong, there is a note stating the items inside.”

 

Zhou RenShu forced his broken body to stand as he stared at the small bag, it was no bigger than a fist. Ms Wu was about to explain a few more things when Zhou RenShu took the bag inside his new bedroom and shut the door. Ms Wu stared coldly at the closed door then walked forward, speaking at the wooden door. “Your tutor will arrive here in three days at noon, there are basic food items in your kitchen but you will need to go grocery shopping within a few days. I’ll be leaving now. My number is on the card beside your bank card. Call if you have any trouble.”

 

There was no reply, Ms Wu didn’t open the door to see if what she had said had entered Zhou RenShu’s ears, instead she left. In his bedroom, Zhou RenShu was reading the list of things Liu Yong had written. He couldn’t understand some things but he knew his pajamas and socks were inside. Using the same method he had used when stealing the vial from Liu Yong, Zhou RenShu was able to pull his pajamas out and put them on, afterwards he summoned his socks.

 

The clothes smelt like a mixture of Liu Yong’s scent and ZhouRenShu’s, burrowing under his cold blankets, Zhou RenShu hugged the soft fabric around him. His body felt cold even though if someone were to touch his cheeks they would feel warm. The time spent alone in the field returned to Zhou RenShu’s mind, the sun had been so warm in his dream but after Fan Lei had left him he couldn’t feel any warmth.

 

He knew what spending eternity alone felt like and wished to never return to that feeling, Zhou RenShu thought he could stay with Liu Yong for the rest of time, even after the case had been solved but he was wrong. Why did you treat me so kindly if you were going to throw me away?

 

_ _ _ _ _ _

 

After leaving the apartment Liu Yong walked around the busy city, the warm summer breeze brought out a feeling of peace and tranquility but Liu Yong didn’t feel any of it. His mind was filled with the crying face of Zhou RenShu while the broken cries begging him to stay rang loudly in his ears. He walked until the sun set and his feet were in agony, he had wandered through almost every street without a sense of direction until he finally returned to the hotel room that was now empty. 

 

Every night he would return after sorting through files and searching for either Wu Yun or Li Qing, every night Zhou RenShu would be there. Even when the small boy was sleeping it was still a heartwarming sight that brought peace of mind. Now Liu Yong stood in the doorway, staring at the dark and empty room. Liu Yong didn’t bother with staying in the hotel any longer as he packed his own luggage. Once everything was done he left, returning to his dorm room at the precinct.

 

The coworkers Liu Yong passed on the way to his room all had questions and assumptions, most wanted to know the identity of the small boy Liu Yong had carried out of the building, while others gossiped about how it was an unrequited love. Liu Yong didn’t bother answering the questions no one had the guts to ask. Instead he unpacked his bags into the room he barely stayed in and laid in his cold bed. The space beside him, empty.

 

The cold stone hanging around his neck felt like a heavy weight pressing down on his heart and he removed the string with a hard pull. Opening the draw beside him the necklace was placed inside. If he could lock every piece of Zhou RenShu away then he could move on and focus on work, as long as he had his work then the constant ache in his heart could be dulled.

 

10