Chapter 13: Border to Imperium
132 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A full month had passed since the first attack on Novatus, every day the City would face an assault from a pack of unidentified magical beasts.

After the first attack they progressively grew in numbers. What was a group of ten grew to fifteen, then twenty until they began to number thirty with every attack and the military force of Novatus were barely able to resist.

The difference to the first attack however was how deaths began to appear from the second attack onward, at first it was only a few guards that had grown careless while fighting with Knight Apprentices and Knight Captains however as the numbers grew the deaths began to appear even among the Knight Apprentices as the creatures overwhelmed them with sheer numbers.

“What does he want…” Today was day thirty and they were currently preparing for the next attack, defences had been created and rudimentary barricades had been formed.

Alexander sat alone in his study trying to understand the meaning behind the actions of the strange creatures or more importantly, why Caspian was doing this in the first place. ‘Is he trying to destroy Novatus? Kill me?’

But no matter what he thought of he couldn’t think of a valid reason as to why Caspian would do it in the first place, just the robed creature that had been his ‘bodyguard’ before was most likely powerful enough to rip the city to shreds and yet he hadn’t used them.

These ideas led to his next question, ‘Is it really him?’ Alexander couldn’t be blamed for his doubts, Caspian doubtlessly had the ability to destroy the city easily with the use of the High-Tier Demons so he wouldn’t have to resort to the wave tactics they were currently facing.

But he couldn’t deny that it was exactly because of these wave tactics that gave them time to recover that they were still surviving so far, he had even heard news of guards breaking through to become Knight Apprentices due to fighting with their lives on the line against the creatures and the three Knight Captains he had under his command that were still alive were reporting that even they felt themselves improving albeit at a slower pace.

After much thought Caspian had decided that it would be of no use going anywhere other than Imperium, it was the stronghold of this worlds powers and if he was going to search for the answers he needed then it was most likely for him to find them there.

They were merely a days way out from the closest border fortress that they had to pass through to get to Imperium now after a month of travel…

“So, what’s your opinion on their combat power?” Caspian asked mindlessly while he sat in the back of the carriage, they had been travelling for thirty days straight, in that time there was nothing else for him to do other than talk to the system and train; his only source of entertainment could be said to be the battle reports he asked the System to give to him after the demons were wiped out.

[They have grown familiar to the pack hunting tactics of the Low-Tier Demons, they’re also using their low intelligence to lure them into traps to quickly burn through their numbers. The Knight Apprentices and Knight Captains also face no challenge with them and are only in any danger if they’re overwhelmed by more than three of them]

Caspian nodded; they had improved enough to deal with this new threat with some ease meaning it was finally time for up to up the difficulty more than just increasing the amount he sent. “Send one Mid-Tier Demon and twenty Low-Tier Demons tonight.”

[A Mid-Tier Demon may result in the death of a Knight Captain]

“We can’t keep hand holding them, they’re soldiers after all. If they die because they were careless then that’s their fault.” He said, completely ignoring the fact that it was because of him that they were being forced to fight every night.  

The System affirmed his response with its silence as it didn’t voice its objections any longer, so Caspian closed his eyes more so out of habit than necessity, he’d found it refreshing to sleep even if he didn’t need to, even if he only did it to pass the time at this point.

When he woke up several hours later it was to the System informing him that the Demons had been defeated, surprisingly it had only taken them thirty minutes to wipe out the forces he had sent. ‘Maybe I underestimated them.’ He mused as he went through the battle with the System.

Unexpectedly two of the Knight Apprentices had broken through to become Knight Captains during the battle which drastically reduced the pressure that they were facing especially when the Mid-Tier Demon made an appearance it was quickly overwhelmed by the four of them working together.

“Give them a day’s break then add another Mid-Tier Demon to the wave, lets see how they handle that.” He said before pausing, “But go easy on them this time.” He said after some thought. They might not die from facing a Mid-Tier demon themselves, but it was definitely possible that they would become mortally wounded or disabled, there were multiple Knight Apprentices but only four Knight Captains he had to at least give them some chance of survival.

While he was thinking this the carriage suddenly came to a stop outside much to his surprise, it was the first time they had stopped the entire month they were travelling. Demons didn’t require rest and they had filled their stomachs with bandits who had tried to ambush them on the road at times.

“State your business.” A voice came from the outside, most likely speaking to the robed Demon driving their carriage.

Caspian sighed knowing he’d have to make an appearance if they wanted to pass through and continue their journey, the Demon simply growling at the man would get them nowhere.

“Caspian Flynn, Second Circle Mage Apprentice.” He announced as he stepped out of the carriage, he had already seen what the status of Mage could do during his time in Novatus.

The soldier blocking their path eyed him sceptically, Caspian didn’t care and summoned a fireball at his fingertips and played with it in his hands as he observed where they had been stopped.

It was a small fortress, the guards at the gates were eyeing them warily or more specifically they were looking at the fireball with fear.

“I asked you to state your business not your status.” The soldier said blandly as he stared at Caspian without a change in his expression, “Is it not normal for a Mage to want to visit Imperium once in his lifetime?”

The soldier seemed to consider this an acceptable answer as he wrote something down on a small notepad and motioned for them to move forward. “Just a moment, my companions need some time to catch up.” Caspian said passively as he turned to look into the forest behind him.

Four robed figures were moving like phantoms through the trees as they got closer, the approaching figures were obviously spotted by the soldiers who grew nervous as they placed their hands on their swords and started to draw their bows.

“Hold!” The soldier who had stopped him lifted his arm to stop them and eyed Caspian carefully, he could tell that Caspian didn’t intend to do anything, but he couldn’t help but be somewhat annoyed by the man’s casual attitude.

“Just pass through quietly. Neither of us need the trouble.” He said calmly, Caspian took a moment to consider his words before responding.

Caspian nodded but didn’t say anything, he was certain that a fortress like this on the border would at least have a Knight Lord defending it. He would gain nothing by causing any trouble here, so he quietly repressed his playful attitude by staying silent.

The Demons when they arrived orderly entered the carriage and disappeared inside, Caspian took his place next to his Demon Carriage-driver as he ordered him to move forward. He was surprised at how the Demon didn’t display even the slightest bloodlust as they passed a group of at least a hundred soldiers, it was like it didn’t even notice them as he focused entirely on driving the carriage.

Finally, a few minutes later they had passed through the fortress and were approaching its open gates. They passed through silently alongside a few other carts and carriages that most likely belonged to merchants and easily crossed the border into Imperium.

“The Land of Mages…” Caspian muttered, a small smile creeping onto his lips as he began to look forward to the future.

Without another thought he entered Meditation and began to train the Knight Technique, he was already half-way through the next, and final, step of the Knight Apprentice Realm which was strengthening his organs individually with mana.

It was now only a matter of time before he stepped his foot into the Knight Captain Realm…

Hey guys hope you enjoyed.

Sorry for the late chapter today, didn't get much sleep so getting even this chapter out today has been a struggle. Should be good to go with the normal 2 chapters from tomorrow but for now time for me to rest, thanks for understanding ;P

Apologies if the quality isn't up to par with other chapters, just wanted to get at least something out for those who're enjoying today :)

7