Book 2 Chapter 32: Flogging (Part 1)
321 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Sorry for not posting anything on Monday. I have been working a lot lately and felt too tired to write. I still am, which is why today's chapter is on the short side.

Before he could decide on what to do next, the dorm room door swung open, and in walked Nevil. His eyes popped wide. “Jon! You’re back.”

Jon smiled at his roommate, one of the rare instances when it was genuine. “Left the black cells this morning. I heard that you personally intervened on my behalf. Thank you.”

“You saved me and Bella all those years ago, it’s only fair we return the favor,” he said, a bright smile on his face. “So, does that mean you’re off the hook? It must mean because you’ve been released. But then why are those guards waiting outside? Are—”

Jon raised a hand to interrupt Nevil. He was thankful to the nobleman, but not enough to let him ramble on and on. Especially not in his current state. “I’ve already been judged. In short, I’ve been declared guilty. Sentence of fifty lashes to be carried out tomorrow morning. But on the bright side, I won’t be executed nor will I be expelled.”

“What? You’re the victim. This is not fair. We must gather everyone and make an appeal to His Gra—.”

Once again, Jon made sure to interrupt. “Not this time. Again, I’m extremely thankful for what you’ve done for me, so much so that I don’t even know how to express it. But it’s better to quit while I’m ahead.”

“You’re going to get flogged, how is that being ahead?”

“It ensures that I’ll be keeping my head. And that I won’t be expelled. That’s a win for me,” Jon said, half-sincerely. He was old enough to understand that forgiving and forgetting were not in his nature. Quite the opposite, in fact. But he was also old enough to learn from his mistakes. After losing his life, pushing away the people that cared for him, and now almost losing his life again, he needed to ensure that he never lost sight of the bigger picture again. To always keep in mind what was the most important.

Discovering what the Secret Realm had to hide.

To do so, he needed to cultivate as quickly as possible in the academy, and first, he needed to become an Archmage. His goal never changed. Only after achieving it all could he allow himself to think of payback.

And there would be a payback.

Garrel, that cunt noblewoman, and the asshole with the crushed testicles. Jon would not forget what they did.

***

Jon woke up to the guards knocking on the door. Having three other noblemen in the room this time, they wouldn’t dare to simply kick the door open. Not at first, at least. He got out of bed and put on the cheapest, most worm-out tunic and trousers he had.

His roommates stood up soon after, already prepared to follow him. Aeron spoke first. “Are you really going through with this?”

“It’s not like I have any other choice.” Jon put both hands behind his neck and unclasped the necklace. He removed the pendant, folded a thick strip of tanned leather around it, and bit down on the leather. It tasted bitter, but at least it wasn’t freshly tanned.

Biting down on something would help endure the pain. As for the pendant, he couldn’t risk losing it.

Done, he finally opened the door to find an Ashen waiting at the door as well as the pair of guards that were there yesterday. “It’s time to go,” the Ashen said and Jon nodded before following behind them.

He heard the door close behind him followed by the sound of footsteps as Nevil, Aeron, and Deon came along with him. The three of them, four after meeting Bella at the entrance, accompanied him from the dormitory to in front of the feasting hall where a wide platform had been raised. It was empty save for a single stone pillar standing half-again as tall as Jon. A pair of manacles dangled from a metal ring embedded into the stone.

Lanard, the headmaster, and the geomancer from before were the only ones present. For now. The punishment was supposed to be a public spectacle and, from what Aeron and Deon heard being told, Garrel was making sure to spread the news to all the other students. He wanted everyone to see the punishment being meted out.

10