Chapter 10: Flashbacks, Consoling, A Foreboding Future
167 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Okay, first thing first, somehow I'm addicted to two songs right now, and I can't stop them. I'll blame those two songs and my French Oral for the slow release. 

The songs are:

  1. Old Town Road (By Lil Nas X and Billy Ray Cyrus)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ysFgElQtjI

      2. Wow (By Post Malone)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0i23wZ0IeE

What do you think of the songs? 
(comment down below)

Anyways, enjoy the chapter, my readers. 

"Fear will not consume me for I shall use my fear to fuel my ambition: to reform the world."

- Joseph Algorith

   

Flash Back

 

   I stood in a desolate city. Other than the small breeze passing by, everything else was quiet. The sidewalks were empty of life and what resided instead were ‘bags.’ The buildings in the surrounding were in great shape other than the few destructions caused by hover vehicle failures that had occurred a few hours ago. The sky was as blue as it could be, without any clouds blocking the ever bright light. It was too quiet.

 

I walked near the ‘bags’ on the sidewalk, but it horrified me for what I saw. It was a woman that had fallen, wearing casual clothes with some bags near her. Feeling the need to help, I immediately rushed to her, turning her body over with her face up. But what I saw was a faced mangled and scarred by wound inflictions I’ve seen before — radiation scars. The wounds were repugnant to the eye as I was left aghast at what just happened. 

 

Terrified, I let her go suddenly, making her body create a ‘thud’ sound. I looked around the sidewalk and fear and revulsion was rising through my stomach. I wanted to barf in a corner and cover myself blanket while shivering as I noticed more people laying on the ground affected by what had happened to the woman beforehand. Their wounds were similar to that of the woman's.

 

And it’s all my fault, I thought. These were my doings. Though it wasn’t direct, with one of my new inventions, I gave the government a new toy to play around with and utilize. It wasn’t supposed to be like this. The ‘toy’ that I created was initially a medicine meant to provide a cure for certain diseases, looking for the harmful invaders within the human body and destroy them using radiation. But instead, the government turned the drug to seek humans as enemies.

 

I felt a massive guilt rush through my brain. All of this needed to stop. I didn’t want to create any more weapons. I didn’t want more to die from my creations. It felt agonizing to realize that I used to love the word "weapon" and praised it for man's massive leap of advancement. All it did was give the man the ability to massacre their fellow beings in the pursuit of personal benefit. Even innocent products were turned to death toys.

 

“You-you d-did this to usss!”

 

My body was fear-stricken from the accusation before I turned around looking for the perpetrator that said this. My eyes and mouths, however, were wide open from what I saw. Zombies-or at least what I thought they were. The woman that I held before was slowly rising, and it’s body barely having the ability to raise its body. Then the others, too, slowly rose from the ground. And they gradually shuffled towards me.

 

I wanted to run, but they surrounded me from all sides. My brain and body were filled with adrenaline, looking for an escape route, except there were none. When they had finally formed a full ring, they chanted, “Guilty! Guilty! Guilty…”

 

I held my head in pain and pleaded, “Stop! Please! I-I di-didn’t do this! Have mercy!”

 

Ignoring my plea, they marched on and eventually started to cover me. Their scarred hands were covering my face, simulating a drowning sensation.

 

“Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh…!”

 

End of Flashback

   

   Confused and terrified, I got up quickly from the bed, huffing heavily and sweating all over. My hands and body were shivering all over, and I could do nothing to stop myself. The scene frightened me, and I was hesitant confused about what I should do. I had enough; I didn't want to create weapons nor anything that could similarly be utilized as one. All they do was harm and create suffering for all beings.

 

   Without any notice, suddenly I was hugged by arms bigger than mine. My face was plunged deep into a pair of soft mountains. It was my mother. Her warmth calmed my body and at the same time gave the feeling of safety and serenity. My heavy breathing slowed down significantly as I refocused my teary eyes on her face.

 

“Mother… I want to tell you something.”

 

I retold her what I've seen in my dreams and explained the backstory behind. More tears slipped down my face while continued my story. I felt like I was delivering testimony to a judge and the jury, and they would give out my guilty sentence. My mother's facial expressions transformed into various emotions; astonishment, worry, fear and sadness. At first, I was terrified that she would be disgusted by the fact I'm a monster who was behind a massacre of a planet.  But these thoughts were for nought as she hugged me tighter, whispering calming words.

 

"Joseph, it will be okay. That's the past, and you don't have to dwell there anymore."

 

"Mother, I just can't forget it. It keeps coming back, and all their faces enshroud my vision. I just can't, I-"

 

"Stop!"

 

My mother looked at me sternly before it melted into a worried and serene face.

 

"It's not your fault, Joseph. You may have created the medicine, but it wasn't you who had weaponized the drug. Your initial intention was to help the sick, not harm; it was the government who had done it. You bear little fault within the incident."

 

I emphasized the word 'little' in my mind. It still meant that I was still accountable for the event in her thoughts.

 

"Joseph, you know that our nation is in deep trouble. We still need you to help us, but I will understand that if you want to stop making weapons, I would always love and protect you. But I will tell you this. Although your past government used your invention for murder, we will use them for protection."

 

"But I still believe that murdering is wrong. Couldn't we plead for mercy?"

 

I know what I've said was dumb, naive and idiotic that was purely ideal and not realistic. But I had to at least try in asking this trivial question. Maybe there will be an alternative option.

 

"Let me ask you something, son. I wouldn't say killing is okay nor will it be right, whether the intention is for good. However, if somebody were to kill innocent people or enact evil on others and oneself, wouldn't it be more wrong to be a bystander than eliminate the evil person before an incident happens? What I'm trying to say about this is that if we don't fight and kill our enemies, they will murder the innocent people within our nation."

 

I let her words sink in. I understood the concept of what she said; however, the action of killing still affected my morals albeit lesser after her explanation. I thought about this notion before, back at my original universe, yet I still needed someone to at least suggest it to me, as I'm afraid what I think was wrong. Call it insecure, if you ask me. Nevertheless, something bugged me.

 

"Mother, what would happen if our country was to conquer one of the other nations?"

 

My mothers face turned serious yet contorted into one of grief. She knew my concern. What will our people do?

 

My mother spoke in sorrow, "I'm sorry to say, son, but our nation is plagued by discrimination of other races. The outcome will either be slavery or extermination. Though I and some of the others believe it's wrong, the general population isn't educated and are fueled by nationalism or manipulated by certain groups."

 

I wasn't surprised. Even the humans back home weren't united. Rather, it would be surprising if a world filled with various races defined by different physical and biological characteristics was to be united.

 

Even if I don't want to be part of this war, it is inevitable I would be dragged into it. My summoning's purpose was to wage war in the first place. I need to stop thinking naive and steel my emotions. These wars need to stop for everything shall always end in despair and continue in a cycle.

 

Though I'm still skeptical and unsure, I will use this moment to build myself slowly. Fear will not consume me for I shall use my fear to fuel my ambition: to reform the world.

 

At the same time, at the city of Thes in the Thesol castle throne room...

 

The room consisted of various designs and decorations all meant to express wealth and power. A red carpet donned the floor that led from a metal arch-door to a throne. Currently, seven people occupied the room. Four guards of both female and male stayed near the throne as two stood near the metal door. The guards wore armour made of mithril, a sturdy metal better than iron that provides better mana and aura conductibility. The inscriptions on the material were very detailed and prepared for those in rank 9.

 

On the throne laden with gold and jewels, there sat a man. His face consisted of golden hair and his eyes radiated of metallic gold. He had high cheekbones, and short-hair styled elegantly. If scrutinized, one could find similarities of Joseph's facial features to the man. He is Aidan Algorith.

At the moment, Aidan was studying a parchment that was recently given by his attendant, Luke. The parchment contained details of territorial disputes between two Earls within the southern borders near the beastkin mountain barrier.

 

"Stupid idiots," he humbles as he sighed out of tiredness; Humans were still fighting each other when the destruction of the nation was nigh.

 

Recently, or all the time, he had been complaining and confused about the Dark Elven and Orkan races' motive and hostility. It made no sense at all, he thought. For the past years, all races were amicable and on friendly terms, while trading with each other bloomed (there was still trade between nations but at a smaller scale). Suddenly, fifty years ago, they turned hostile and were able to convince their counterparts, the elves and beastkin, to not war with them until they've conquered the human race.

 

Maybe they are being manipulated by someone or the demons? Or what if something is pressuring them to attack? Whatever it is, it isn't good, Aidan thought.

 

Knock. Knock.

 

The tapping of the metallic doors 5 meters in front of him disrupted his train of thoughts.

 

"Come in," Aidan said, feeling annoyed about being disturbed.

 

The guards immediately opened the door, and the person that came in was his assistant, Luke. Luke had a lean and lanky body, and his face was normal and average. Nothing significant was worth mentioning about him if one were to take a glance. But his efficiency in his work made him an incredible asset to Aidan.

 

"What's the news?"

 

The servant knelt in obedience. "Sire, I bring terrible news regarding about the Forbidden Lake and Abysmal Pit."

 

Aidan's eyebrows arched in concern. "And what are they?"

 

"My king, our nation's hero, Lord Jeremy Squires, had discovered obscure and massive movements of monsters near the two forbidden zones. They seem to attack less and move in larger groups for protection. He requests to station at least five-hundred thousand soldiers, one hundred rank-ten mages and one hundred rank-ten aura users to each zone."

 

A magical beast Surge! The monster lords are rising, and at such unfortunate times, too, Aidan thought.

 

"Prepare what Jeremy had asked. Start conscripting more soldiers, even if they're not rank one."

 

"Yes, sire. Also, queen consort Felisa has started to conscript, too. Mainly children who are orphans, however."

 

Aidan wasn't surprised as he had heard of this piece of this news before from another messenger that she intended to campaign recruitment. He still felt some guilt towards her even if she repeatedly had forgiven him about their circumstance.

 

"Spare what money we could from the treasury and support her campaign at the same time."

 

"Of course, sire."

Luke scurried away to prepare the needed documents and resources, leaving Aidan the six guards. Aidan used one hand to massage his head and thought, how are we going to survive?

 

So... how was this chapter? I know it's not exciting but it's important for character development if this is at all considered to be character development (is it?).

Anyways, what do you think of this chapter? Please comment down below and give me some feedback so I could write better. And remember, praise, like and follow this story. Tell me how good or bad it is... I feel like I'm a YouTuber albeit a sellout one for asking these. ?‍♂️??

4