Chapter 27: Biding Her Time
1.9k 8 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Hi! Welcome to the first chapter of the next arc of Wangfei's Desire for Revenge! I'd like clarify a few things with an announcement first. I will not be adhering to a regular schedule to prevent burnout (which I had previously experienced) and also due to personal reasons. Many people have been very supportive of me, which has inspired me to continue the story and post chapters; I've been wanting the writing experience to be an enjoyable and pleasant one, and hearing feedback from everyone has been truly motivating! Therefore, I hope everyone is able to understand where I'm coming from; thanks for your patience and kindness! ^^

Secondly, if you haven't noticed yet, I've made a slight change (it's small but important) to the story. The marriageable age is now 18 years old now; previously it had been 17. I had been debating with myself whether I wanted to stick to the historically accurate younger age (I know usually it's even younger than this, but I was like "Maybe 17 can be the nice in between between modern and ancient marrying age"), but using my creative liberty, I've decided to change it to 18 because it would make me feel a lot comfortable having the girls be a bit older. 

Oh, and also, I've been experimenting with adding more Chinese terms, at least in the way that some people address themselves to superiors to sound more formal. Such as using "Chennu" to indicate Su Jing Fei speaking in more formal language. But if this is more of a bother because it can be a bit inconsistent, please let me know and I can change it back to how it was before.

Scratch that, I've decided to change it back. I think using generic third person terms like "this one," etc is enough without confusing others with the sudden use of Chinese terms. 

Hope you enjoy this new chapter and happy reading!

 

One and half years, almost two years, since Su Jing Fei had left the imperial city’s gates. Now, as she looked upon them, they seemed just as large and imposing as she remembered. There were no superfluous designs like Fuo Lan’s gates; instead, they gave an air of power and strength. Within those walls lived the heart of Chu country, a place where the imperial family called home.

Su Jing Fei felt the carriage roll forward as they approached the gate entrance. There was no trouble when Si Qiang held up their family nameplate, and they were let in without much trouble. She noticed her two yatou’s nervous appearances, giving a small smile. Yize noticed her da xiaojie’s calm demeanor, remembering the last time they went through these gates. “Da xiaojie, this lowly one remembers da xiaojie’s words last time. This lowly one will surely follow da xiaojie’s words and trust completely in da xiaojie!”

“This lowly one agrees with Yize!” Mu Tan heartily agreed. After a careful delibration back in Fuo Lan, Su Jing Fei concluded to leave Xiao Chen and Dongfan to take care of Mudan-Yu and handle the three businesses while Mu Tan and Yize accompanied their da xiaojie back to the imperial city.

Su Jing Fei smiled at her yatou who relaxed a little at seeing their xiaojie’s calm demeanor, and the inside of the carriage fell into a comfortable silence as both Mu Tan and Yize peeked curiously out of the curtained windows of the carriage. Su Jing Fei was quiet, lost in her own thoughts. In the past year since Da Chun’s death, Su Jing Fei had mourned and grieved, but eventually, that grief gave way to a firm resolve.

“We’ve arrived at the Su family residence!” announced Si Qiang as the carriage rolled to a stop. Carefully, the door to the carriage was opened, and Su Jing Fei was helped down. She looked at the entrance to the Su manor, feeling like the huge doors were a wide gaping mouth ready to swallow her in its greediness. Mu Tan and Yize quietly stood behind their da xiaojie, careful to mind their manners as Su Jing Fei stepped forward to enter the Su family residence.

“Welcome home, da xiaojie!” greeted all the servants at the front of the entrance. At the head of the servants was the familiar face of Li Chen, the Su manor’s head steward.

“This lowly one greets, da xiaojie! Everyone has gathered at the gathering hall to welcome da xiaojie home!” Li Chen said as he respectfully bowed before Su Jing Fei. “Please follow this lowly one.”

Su Jing Fei regarded the warm welcome with a brief glance, thinking to herself that the Su family seemed to be doing quite the 180 in attitude. If they thought that she would be easily swayed by such a flashy welcome, they were quite underestimating her. However, Su Jing Fei gave a polite smile and thanked Li Chen. She could play the dumb and easily pleased person they thought her to be. “Many thanks.”

Li Chen led the way as Su Jing Fei followed closely behind. They passed by many courtyards and gardens, reminding Su Jing Fei that Mudan-Yu was just a small grandeur compared to the residence of a prime minister. Finally, they reached the steps of the gathering hall. Behind her, Mu Tan and Yize noticeably hesitated in nervousness.

“The da xiaojie has returned!” announced Li Chen as Su Jing Fei stepped into the gathering hall. The last time she had entered this hall, she’d been punished by her father and banished to Fuo Lan. Su Jing Fei hid a sneer in her heart, thinking of what other great things would await her inside this place.

Within a few moments, Su Jing Fei took in the scene before her. Her father’s familiar figure sat at the forefront of the family; her father looked as displeased as usual. However, she noticed that upon her arrival, the older man schooled his expression into an indifferent one. Beside him sat Su Lao Furen who looked noticeably aged; the old woman’s posture was slightly curved, as though her old bones were unable to hold up the weight of her body. Those dark eyes were as stern as usual, however.

Su Jing Fei’s eyes flickered to the other woman at Su Xuan Mo’s side. The older woman looked just as dressed up in extravagance as always, wearing the facade of a gentle and tender woman. Su Jing Fei knew the ugly face behind that mask, and while she wished to rip the smile right off of Liu shi’s face, it was only the knowledge that one day she’d be able to see that face construed in anger and fear that held Su Jing Fei back.

It was only the briefest of glances, but Liu shi felt a coldness creep up her spine at Su Jing Fei’s arrival. The young woman exuded such an unfamiliar aura, acting so drastically different than previously. However, Liu shi was cautious and carefully maintained her gentle demeanor. Though, she had prepared for Su Jing Fei to come barrelling into the ancestral hall, it seemed that that would not be the case. Instead, Su Jing Fei merely bowed before her elders.

“This one greets Father, Grandmother, and Mother,” Su Jing Fei greeted in a respectful bow as she kowtowed before them. Then she turned and greeted her uncle and aunt-in-law. When she was done with her greetings, she returned to a prostrated position facing the front of the ancestral hall. “This one apologizes for her inability to perform filial duties this past year and a half. Hoping that Grandmother can forgive me!”

Su Lao Furen looked a bit surprised at Su Jing Fei’s words at first but then seemed quite pleased at hearing such filial words. “En, seems like staying in Fuo Lan has made Fei’er a sensible young woman. There is no need to apologize as long as Fei’er is in good health.” The old woman gestured for the servants to help Su Jing Fei rise.

For a moment, no one really knew what to say. There was an awkward moment of silence in the air until Su Lao Furen gave Su Xuan Mo a meaningful look. Then the man coughed, finally looking at his eldest daughter in the face. “Father welcomes Fei’er back home. Fei’er must be tired from travelling so far, so your courtyard has been prepared for you to rest.”

“This one thanks Father for his kind words,” Su Jing Fei said with a polite bow. “However, I was away for so long and wishes to express my filial piety. This one has brought back healthy ingredients from Fuo Lan to cook dinner for everyone.”

Everyone seemed quite shocked at this unfamiliar demeanor that Su Jing Fei displayed; previously, they thought that Su Jing Fei had just been depressed when her engagement to Chen Hui Zhe was broken, but now they saw that the young woman had truly changed! It was Liu shi who was the most shocked as well as the most suspicious. Although she could not guess Su Jing Fei’s hidden emotions, she was doubly cautious around the young woman. In the past year and a half, Liu shi had been quite well-informed about the happenings in Fuo Lan while Su Jing Fei had been ruining the reputation of her niece and bringing down the fall of Liu shi’s maternal relatives. However, she still wasn’t quite able to guess yet whether Su Jing Fei knew of their connection to her… At this time, she had to gauge the young woman’s reactions with caution. “Fei’er is kind and has definitely grown into a beautiful young woman,” Liu shi regarded with a gentle smile. “To even be as thoughtful as to personally bring ingredients to cook us dinner! One can only wish that my Rong’er was as half as thoughtful.”

Su Mei Rong looked at her mother with shock at hearing such praise, but the expression quickly faded and was replaced with a fake smile. Su Jing Fei smiled in response to Liu shi’s words and still, the older woman could not read the emotions hidden behind that mask of politeness. “Mother is being too kind,” She replied with a courteous bow. “This one is only able to show such filial piety after being away for so long and missing grandmother. Only hopes everyone will be able to enjoy the dinner as a family.”

“En, that is good. Fei’er must be tired. You should rest in your courtyard before dinner.” Su Lao Furen said with a nod of her head. She looked to Su Xuan Mo expectantly. He understand his mother’s gaze and immediately dismissed everyone from the gathering hall to reconvene at dinnertime.

Su Jing Fei went to her old courtyard and noticed that the place had been cleaned and prepared for her return. Moving inside, she glanced at the familiar interior of her room, the place she had once called home a long time ago. Flashes of memories filled Su Jing Fei’s mind as she took in its comforting familiarity.

“Da xiaojie, please rest! This lowly one will instruct the cooks to prepare the food for dinner,” spoke Mu Tan with a determined expression. “This lowly one hopes xiaojie can rest a bit from the long journey.” The yatou was certainly sharp since she had discerned the weariness that seemed to overcome Su Jing Fei after finally meeting with her family once again. It was a lot less confrontational than she had imagined… Of course, there was still dinner yet. With a small grateful smile, Su Jing Fei said a few words before thanking Mu Tan who left quickly. Yize then helped her xiaojie prepare for a small bit of rest before dinner time. After a few hours, when the darkness of night began creeping into the corners of the sky, it was finally time for dinner.

Su Jing Fei made her way to the dining hall, giving a courteous and polite greeting as she entered. Since evening had come, everyone was gathered around the dining table with a hearty appetite from the long day. Su Jing Fei took her seat and waited as the dishes of food were being served. Plate after plate of delicacies were placed on the table, making everyone become much hungrier at the site.

A few words were spoken by Su Xuan Mo before the eating could commence. As everyone picked up their utensils, it was Su Lao Furen who took the first bite, taking a piece of vegetable from the both and tasting it curiously. Everyone watched nervously for her reaction. Suddenly, the old woman’s eyes lit up. The vegetable had a savory yet fresh taste! “Such a novel flavor! It warms these old bones, yet leaves a fresh clean taste in one’s mouth.” Su Lao Furen praised, feeling quite impressed. “This old one has never tasted such a delicate flavor. What is the ingredient?”

Su Jing Fei smiled at Su Lao Furen’s pleased reaction. “The ingredient is a vegetable root that has absorbed nutrients from a specialized soil to enhance the fresh flavor. As the roots absorb the water, the leaves turn a different color to signal the ripeness of the root accordingly. It is a special type of ingredient only grown in Fuo Lan, made by the most innovative cooks of Chu country’s main trade city.” Her explanation was pleasing to hear, as it showcased knowledge and attentiveness to the dinner’s ingredients while also praising Chu country’s many talented cooks.

Su Lao Furen was very satisfied with the answer, nodding her head enthusiastically as she gestured for everyone to begin eating. “Let us not waste Fei’er’s kind efforts and begin eating at once!”

Everyone was eager to do just that and immediately began tasting the dishes on the table. Su Jing Fei was quiet as she watched everyone have such a hearty meal. Even her uncle and aunt-in-law looked quite pleased. However, in a moment, she locked eyes with Liu shi. The older woman was watching her cautiously. Su Jing Fei gave her a brief polite smile before returning to enjoy her meal. The older woman instantly became suspicious; she had her doubts at the beginning of dinner, trying to think of what schemes were lurking behind such an extravagant meal that Su Jing Fei took the trouble to prepare for the entire family. This was really unlike her. Liu shi wondered if Su Jing Fei was truly trying to pull some clever scheme or if she was still the same naive young girl who had just gained a bit of knowledge after a harsh experience. Once the meal was finished, the servants began taking away the dishes. “Fei’er, how was Fuo Lan? Mother never got the chance to ask you because I did not want to disturb your rest.” Liu shi asked, which seemed like an innocent question to the ignorant; but Su Jing Fei had guessed that her step-mother was actually trying to provoke her and gauge her reaction.

Su Jing Fei politely set down her utensils, dabbing at the corners of her lips lightly with a handkerchief. She let the servants take the dishes in front of her and kept a calm expression as everyone watched her for an answer.

“Fei’er, didn’t you hear your mother? Why don’t you answer her?” Su Xuan Mo said a little angrily as Su Jing Fei was still quiet.

It was only after everyone had finished and dishes had cleared that Su Jing Fei gave Liu shi a smile and reply. “While in Fuo Lan, this one learned many interesting and new things and have grown as a person. As one reached marriageable age, it would be reasonable to prepare for life after marriage to fulfill filial duties, including adhering to proper manners and etiquette. This one hopes Mother can understand this one’s efforts.” Hearing Su Jing Fei’s explanation, it sounded quite reasonable. Waiting to converse after the table has cleared was the proper etiquette, but Liu shi had not expected Su Jing Fei to point out the matter.

Biting back a frown, Liu shi plastered on a smile, quickly replying in an appeasing tone. “Of course, Mother understands Fei’er is a grown woman now! Mother was just impatient to hear more about Fei’er since we have been separated so long. Mother has missed Fei’er dearly.” The older woman put on the act of a kind and doting mother, and Su Jing Fei wondered at how anyone could fall for such a cheap display. She thought back to the original Su Jing Fei who had known no better and resisted shaking her head with pity.

“Yes, it’s been a long time since we’ve had the opportunity to spend time with jie jie! Not adhering to proper manners and etiquette on the first day of jie jie’s return is not so bad. We are family, afterall! It just means we missed jie jie a lot.” Su Mei Rong added more sweet words, seemingly highlighting the fact that Su Jing Fei had grown distant with her family after their long separation.

Su Jing Fei smiled in response. “Indeed, it has been a year and a half since I have seen Rong-mei, and she has grown even more beautiful. Rong-mei reaches marriageable age in a few days. I am happy to be able to see my younger sister celebrate her coming of age.”

Su Mei Rong was surprised at Su Jing Fei’s kind words, never having received such sisterly affection from Su Jing Fei. While the two had gotten along in the past, Su Mei Rong had made a point never to get too close to her older sister for fear of her reputation. However, after hearing the latter part, Su Mei Rong realized that Su Jing Fei had also discreetly brought up the point that the Su family had used Su Mei Rong’s coming of age as a reason for Su Jing Fei’s return; however, everyone was quite well aware that Su Jing Fei had not even been invited back to the capital for her own coming of age which had passed in Fuo Lan.

Su Lao Furen watched the exchange within her family, furrowing her brows at the disharmony. However, she was also quite intrigued at Su Jing Fei’s sudden cleverness; her eldest granddaughter’s words sounded quite sweet and pleasing to hear but actually had the ability to mean much more based on interpretation. After hearing the reports from Si Qiang about Su Jing Fei’s experiences in Fuo Lan, it was no wonder that the young girl had forcibly grown up in the absence of guidance. However, what Su Lao Furen did not realize was that there was so much more to what happened in Fuo Lan than Si Qiang or anyone else had known; the only one who could fathom a guess would be Liu shi who had communication from the Feng family.

“Speaking of Rong-mei’s coming of age celebration,” Su Jing Fei began, placing her hands neatly in her lap as she turned to look at her father politely. “This one hopes that the dishes tonight was suitable for everyone’s tastes. In fact, if Father and Mother do not mind, this one has brought enough ingredients to use for the feast.”

Su Xuan Mo had been feeling quite awkward towards his eldest daughter who he had previously banished, and hearing her previous words, he had indeed noticed the change in Su Jing Fei’s mannerisms, thinking that the immature young girl had finally grown up. He was pleased with the change, so upon hearing her polite words and reasonable suggestion, he readily agreed. “En, Fei’er has truly changed and become such a thoughtful young woman.” In his mind, he was thinking that having such delicacies would certainly leave an impression on the nobles who came to the coming of age feast for Su Mei Rong while also keeping Su Jing Fei appeased to avoid any grievances. Of course, the influence of the Qu family returning to the imperial city also factored into Su Xuan Mo’s amicable attitude towards his disfavored daughter.

“This one thanks Father for his kind praise.” Su Jing Fei said politely. Although, she had long guessed at the thoughts running through Su Xuan Mo’s mind. He has always regarded her and many other women as simple creatures and himself as the most intelligent. She almost laughed at his pitiful ignorance at the fact that it was women who had provided him the power to stand where he was.

After a bit more of conversation, everyone was dismissed by Su Xuan Mo when he noticed his mother was growing visibly tired. Su Jing Fei returned back to her courtyard, and Liu shi watched the young woman with a piercing gaze hidden by the shadows of the night. Returning to her own courtyard, she called for Su Mei Rong. “Be careful of Su Jing Fei,” warned Liu shi to her daughter. “She is much more clever and scheming than she lets on. Today’s dinner had some hidden intentions no doubt.”

Su Mei Rong agreed with her mother, especially since Su Jing Fei had been acting extremely strange. Previously, Su Jing Fei was quite open and rude with her words and emotions, but Su Mei Rong could barely discern the truth of Su Jing Fei’s intentions behind that polite smile. Her demeanor had also changed drastically; Su Mei Rong was surprised that Su Jing Fei knew anything about manners and etiquette, much less bringing it up as an excuse to be rude to her mother! “I will be much more careful with my words! Su Jing Fei is stupid if she thinks we’ll just allow her to return to the imperial city and destroy all our hard work!” She spoke of the past year and half, recalling all the effort her and her mother made to raise Su Mei Rong’s reputation as a talented gentle beauty. It had been difficult because the lack of a strong maternal backing, but this could be overlooked for Su Xuan Mo’s high status and Su Mei Rong’s beauty and talent! The young woman had her mother’s chestnut shaped eyes and allure appearance; her slender frame and willowy appearance seemed to inspire a man’s affections and protective nature.

Both mother and daughter continued insulting Su Jing Fei and once the two were feeling much more happy and relaxed, they went their separate ways to turn in for the night.

22