Chapter 28: Return to Oak Tree Courtyard
1.9k 6 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Su Jing Fei woke up early the next morning and prepared to pay her morning greetings to Su Lao Furen. When she entered Su Lao Furen’s Wen Rou Tian courtyard, she could hear the sound of the zither being plucked; it’s melodious notes rang lightly in the air and was a pleasant sound to accompany the morning light. Quietly, Su Jing Fei made her way to where the music originated. She waited a few minutes as a servant informed Su Lao Furen of her presence before she was allowed inside. As Su Jing Fei stepped into the room, the first thing she saw was Su Mei Rong seated behind a guqin; her delicate movements, accompanied by the pleasant music, made for a very beautiful sight. Su Mei Rong definitely knew where her talents lay.

“This one greets Grandmother.” Su Jing Fei bowed before Su Lao Furen who was seated at the front of the room.

“You may rise,” Su Lao Furen said in a gentle tone. “Fei’er has definitely matured a lot. This old woman is sad that she was not able to be with Fei’er during that time.”

Su Jing Fei was surprised at Su Lao Furen’s sentimental words. It seemed like it wasn’t only Su Jing Fei who changed a lot in the past year and a half. The usually stern and cold old woman had softened with age; perhaps it was her waning health or her older age causing her to become reminiscent of past times, but Su Lao Furen seemed to be much more gentle and amicable to Su Jing Fei. “It is I who regrets not being able to be at Grandmother’s side.” Su Jing Fei replied.

Su Lao Furen gave a small smile but did not speak any further and gestured for Su Jing Fei to take a seat. Wu mama, Su Lao Furen’s personal servant, set down a cushion for Su Jing Fei. Together, the two of them sat quietly and watched Su Mei Rong’s morning performance.

Of course, Su Mei Rong had noticed Su Jing Fei’s entrance, surprised that her older sister had even awoken so early. In the past, Su Jing Fei never paid her respects to Su Lao Furen and did as she pleased, acting like a spoiled girl. Su Lao Furen had never forced her older sister to come; Su Mei Rong had thought that it was because Su Lao Furen disliked Su Jing Fei, but seeing the two of them sitting together, she was suspicious. Su Mei Rong always figured she was the favorite grandchild, and she was not letting Su Jing Fei take away Su Lao Furen’s support!

Su Jing Fei noticed Su Mei Rong’s glare in between pauses but merely kept a smile on her face as the zither’s gentle sound continued to fill the air. It was another five minutes or so before the song finally ended and Su Mei Rong placed her hands carefully back into her lap. “This one hopes Grandmother was able to enjoy the music well.”

“En, it was very pleasing to hear.” replied Su Lao Furen with a gentle smile, but there was a bit of weariness in her expression. It seemed like being up so early and sitting for so long had become taxing on her old body.

“Rong-mei is very talented. It’s been a long time since I have heard your beautiful music.” Su Jing Fei said as Su Mei Rong took a seat on Su Lao Furen’s other side.

There was a flash of displeasure on the younger woman’s face, but it was quickly covered up. “Jie jie is too kind. I only know a few songs here and there…” Su Mei Rong replied with a shy smile.

Su Jing Fei smiled, knowing that the young woman probably practiced many hours to achieve such skill with the guqin. Su Mei Rong had the phoenix’s ambition; of course, she would settle for nothing less than perfection when it comes to the four arts.

“This one has prepared some warm tea for the morning,” Su Jing Fei spoke as she gestured for the servants to come in. “After not seeing Grandmother for so long, one has prepared many things so that Grandmother can have good health for a long time.” The tea was set on a table in front of Su Lao Furen where one could smell a soft scent of medicinal herbs mixed with a pleasing floral fragrance. “The tea leaves are specially grown in southern Chu where the soil is soft and the temperatures are warmer year round. It is said that when drinking this Zhu Qin tea, one can expel the excess yin of the body and absorb the natural morning yang.”

Both Su Lao Furen and Su Mei Rong gave shocked expressions at Su Jing Fei’s explanation, clearly not familiar with this considerate and courteous side to Su Jing Fei. However, after a few minutes, one’s heart calmed down, and the pleasant scent of the tea was too alluring to not desire a sip or two. Quietly, the women drank the morning tea and felt a warmth radiate from their lips to their stomach and then to the rest of their body. It was the blood that warmed and the muscles that relaxed, making one’s breath much more deep and refreshing. But Su Mei Rong was still young, and as such, her tastes were still in favor of sweetness; thus she could not finish the tea and merely sipped a few before setting it back down.

Meanwhile, Su Lao Furen and Su Jing Fei quietly enjoyed the tea, basking in the warmth and refreshing morning air as Wu mama had taken the initiative to open the windows. Su Mei Rong waited impatiently, feeling bitter towards Su Jing Fei’s obvious attempts to curry favor with Su Lao Furen. Her eyes glared at Su Jing Fei, but the latter did not even glance in her direction.

Su Jing Fei could feel Su Mei Rong’s hatred directed towards her, and she hid a smile under her hand as she lifted the tea cup to her lips. The gentle and amicable younger sister was indiscreet in her hatred for Su Jing Fei; the latter wondered how the original Su Jing Fei had never noticed. Perhaps, it was because the original Su Jing Fei had grown up not knowing better, schemed at every turn to believe her mei mei and Mother were on her side. But Su Jing Fei was not like the original; she could clearly perceive the emotions of such youths. It was obvious that Su Mei Rong probably had paid her respects to Su Lao Furen in the morning for a long time, probably displaying the different four arts that she was good at. Most likely, Su Lao Furen had enjoyed watching her granddaughter exceed and flourish with such talents, but once one became older, one would desire more quiet and calmness in the mornings. Su Jing Fei could appreciate Su Mei Rong’s efforts though.

Once the tea was finished and sent away, Su Lao Furen felt her old body gain just a bit more vitality and strength and was very pleased with Su Jing Fei’s thoughtfulness. “This Zhu Qin tea is exactly to this old woman’s tastes. Grandmother is very blessed to have such filial granddaughters. I’ll have to get Wu mama to trouble Fei’er to find out where one can acquire the tea leaves to appreciate more often.”

“This one thanks Grandmother for her kind praise.” Both Su Jing Fei and Su Mei Rong replied to Su Lao Furen’s words. Su Jing Fei continued speaking and added, “This one has brought a lot from Fuo Lan and will have one’s servants send over the remaining leaves for Grandmother. If Grandmother desires any more, this one will naturally be able to get more.”

Su Lao Furen was very happy at the prospect of being able to have more of the Zhu Qin tea, especially since she’d been growing more weary and tired with each passing day. Being able to recover some strength was like being granted a bit of her youth back; naturally one would become very joyful.

Since the morning had gone on longer than normal, Su Mei Rong was very anxious to leave as she had plans later that day. Once Su Lao Furen seemed content, she immediately dismissed herself, giving the excuse of needing to pay respect to her mother as well. What she didn’t expect was for Su Jing Fei to also get up and leave, citing the same reason.

“If Rong-mei does not mind, would you like to go together to see Mother?” Su Jing Fei asked with a smile.

Su Mei Rong bit back the urge to refuse, merely bowing her head in acquiesce. Together, the two young women made their way to Liu shi’s Tian Hua Lan courtyard where they were led to Liu shi’s side receiving room. All the while, the servants of Tian Hua Lan suspiciously whispered at the Su Jing Fei’s appearance alongside Su Mei Rong; they did not have a good impression of the da xiaojie due to her previously spoilt and ignorant attitude. They all still saw her as the young and dumb xiaojie of two years ago and were naturally suspicious due to her strange demeanor.

“Hoping Mother has rested well.” Su Jing Fei said as they gave their greetings before the seated Liu shi. The older woman had a warm expression on her face, but if one looked closely, there was a tightness to the smile.

“Seeing Fei’er and Rong’er greeting me so early in the morning, one’s heart is filled with much warmth,” Liu shi replied with all the grace of a pleased mother. 

There was a hint of annoyance from Su Mei Rong's expression, but the young girl held her grievances and sat down next to her mother, ignoring Su Jing Fei as she began to speak. “Mother, today my friends have promised to meet at the Oak Tree Courtyard. Can I please go?” The young girl knew how to act a bit spoilt in front of her mother because she knew that the older woman would usually say yes. However, she did not know why but her mother actually shook her head and refused.

“The coming of age ceremony is tomorrow, and there is still much to be prepared for Rong’er. It is best if Rong’er stay in the residence today.” Liu shi said in a firm tone. She flickered a glance at Su Jing Fei before continuing to add, “Plus, your jie jie has been away for so long. I’m sure it would be nice to spend some time together.”

Su Mei Rong knew that her mother wanted her to keep an eye on Su Jing Fei and learn more about the young woman’s intentions, but that did not mean that Su Mei Rong wanted to spend the whole day with her older sister. Today was an important day to go to the Oak Tree Courtyard, and she would not settle for being thrown away to be her sister’s caretaker! Just as Su Mei Rong was about to argue, a familiar voice took the initiative to speak a few words first.

“If Rong-mei does not mind, this one can accompany Rong-mei to Oak Tree Courtyard. It has been awhile since one has visited and is curious to see if the garden is as beautiful as one remembers,” spoke Su Jing Fei, surprising Su Mei Rong and Liu shi at the suggestion. In one hand, Su Mei Rong would be able to go to Oak Tree Courtyard, and on the other, Liu shi would also be able to have Su Mei Rong get a little bit more familiar and also watch over Su Jing Fei. It was as if Su Jing Fei had provided them with a win-win situation, but Liu shi was suspicious behind the reason. In the Su family residence, her servants could keep an eye on Su Mei Rong and Su Jing Fei, but out there in Oak Tree Courtyard, she had no influence to protect Su Mei Rong. Would Su Jing Fei be vicious enough to harm Su Mei Rong outside of the Su residence? Surely, not…

While her mother was in deep contemplation, obviously conflicted with the decision, Su Mei Rong was easier to accept Su Jing Fei’s proposal. She quickly agreed to Su Jing Fei’s suggestion, urging her mother with an eager expression. Seeing her daughter so adamant, Liu shi could not say no, so the older woman merely sighed and relented. “Alright, but be home before dinner. Your father is coming home early tonight to make sure everything will go well for tomorrow.” Her watchful gaze flickered to Su Jing Fei before adding, “Naturally, two young women of marriageable age cannot go alone. Xi mama will accompany.”

The Oak Tree courtyard had their own servants, including guards and mamas, so they certainly wouldn’t be without supervision. But having a personal mama of Su residence accompany would be the best way to protect a di daughter of a respectable family. It was quite funny because Liu shi had never made Su Jing Fei take a mama whenever she used to frequent Oak Tree Courtyard before. But things were different now, and it was natural for Liu shi to be cautious about Su Mei Rong’s reputation.

Su Jing Fei smiled. “Of course, this one will make sure to take care of Rong-mei well. Mother need not be worried.”

Liu shi stared hard at Su Jing Fei, wishing she could see the truth in her words. Similarly, Su Jing Fei’s eyes remained on Liu shi, her face set in a pleasant expression. The servants watched curiously at this long gaze between mother and daughter, and for some reason, they felt a coldness shiver up their spines. They dared not speak or move too quickly. It was Su Mei Rong who became impatient and quickly moved to Su Jing Fei’s side and spoke. “Daughters will now be leaving. Thanking Mother and will be home before dinner!” The young woman hooked her arms into Su Jing Fei’s and pulled her out of Tian Hua Lan courtyard. Without wasting another moment, Su Mei Rong spoke a few words about getting ready and ran off to her own courtyard.

Su Jing Fei merely went back to her own courtyard, remembering to order the servants to send all the tea leaves over to Wen Rou Tian courtyard for Su Lao Furen. Once back in her own room, Mu Tan and Yize helped their xiaojie prepare for going out. Although they wished in their hearts to see Su Jing Fei wear bright beautiful clothes and exquisite jewelry to put forth the best effort, they knew that their xiaojie favored more simple styles. With a sigh, they helped their xiaojie into a simple blue dress and added a few delicate hairpins on top. Usually, one would see that these plain clothes were not exciting to look at, but with Su Jing Fei’s gentle and refined demeanor as well as her calm expressions, one would exude an elegant aura. Mu Tan and Yize were quite satisfied with their results afterwards.

After awhile, Su Jing Fei met up with Su Mei Rong at the entrance of the Su residence. Her eyes flickered across her younger sister’s appearance. The young woman had chosen to display her gentle and scholarly nature with a refined blue dress, and her intricately styled hair was adorned with extravagant jade hairpins. Her face had been powdered lightly to help accentuate the coloring of soft pink on her cheeks and lips by rouge. There was no doubt that Su Mei Rong was a peerless beauty, and coupled with her talents, there probably weren’t a shortage of suitors.

When Su Mei Rong saw Su Jing Fei, she wanted to laugh at the plain appearance but managed to only show a wide smile. Though they both were wearing blue, Su Mei Rong knew her appearance was obviously a hundred times better. Quickly, she had them board the carriage as they headed to the Oak Tree Courtyard.

Once they arrived, Su Mei Rong ran off with Xi mama in tow, leaving Su Jing Fei to linger a bit at the entrance. Honestly, Su Jing Fei did not know how she would feel returning to the place where she had first awoken; it left a little bit of a bitter feeling in her heart, souring her mood quite a bit. However, her expressions remained calm as she entered the Oak Tree Courtyard, greeted by the servants upon entrance. The appearance was still the same, and the inner courtyard still had many young women and men mingling happily, albeit under fierce supervision and courteous distance of course.

Picking a quieter and less populated area, Su Jing Fei took a seat at one of the tables near the garden. From her vantage point, she could observe quite a bit of the courtyard without being bothered by the flow of traffic in and out. The bustling chatter of voices became background noise as Su Jing Fei fell into a deep thoughtful state. While she had arrived back in the imperial city in time for Su Mei Rong’s coming of age, it was still a bit of time before the Qu family would return to the capital. While the Su family’s invitation for Su Jing Fei to return home did not mention the Qu family, the news of the great Qu general returning home due to an injury was already news in Fuo Lan received from all the travelling merchants. Putting two and two together was not so hard. However, what did surprise Su Jing Fei, was that she had found the Qu family’s return to the capital city as oddly familiar. After a bit of thinking, she realized that it was because the event of ‘a great Chu general returning back to the capital’ was a significant event in the movie Blossoms in the Wind. This realization had caused Su Jing Fei to contemplate many things. First, she had wondered if her transmigration into this world had caused any significant changes in the movie’s original plot. She knew that there had at least been two significant changes. Glancing at Mu Tan who was standing quietly at her side, she knew that the older woman’s life had been spared. Thus, the assassination event in the movie had never occurred; or at least, not by Mu Tan’s hands. Secondly, Su Jing Fei realized that her return to the capital city had also not occurred in the original movie’s plot. Thus, her own presence was an anomaly that could be affecting the original plot at every moment, and she honestly did not know what to think upon this realization.

The wheels of thought in Su Jing Fei’s mind were so consuming that she had not realized that her presence had been noticed by someone. This other person’s youthful face twisted in anger for a brief moment before a thought came to mind, and then those thin lips lifted into a bright smile. Then she strode forward with a haughty demeanor, putting forward her best smile. “This one has not seen Su xiaojie for a long time! Hoping you have been well!”

Su Jing Fei’s eyes turned up to look at the speaker. People nearby watched with hawk eyes staring at the two individuals with great interest. However, one did not know why but could feel a cold breeze blow and cause an uncomfortable feeling upon seeing Su Jing Fei’s expression become smiling.  “It has indeed been a long time, Jiang xiaojie.”

24