Chapter 29: Annoying Misunderstandings
2.2k 7 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jiang Li Ling smiled widely, acting as though she was thoroughly pleased at having run into Su Jing Fei. She sat down at the seat across from Su Jing Fei, placing her hands neatly in her lap. “This one heard that Su xiaojie had fallen ill and was sent to Fuo Lan to recuperate. Is one feeling better?”

Everyone was quite curious at Jiang Li Ling’s bold moves as they were quite aware of how the young girl had caused Su Jing Fei’s engagement to be rescinded by Emperor Chen himself. However, they also held their breaths while watching closely for Su Jing Fei’s reactions. They were quite shocked to see that Su Jing Fei was still smiling as politely as before, maybe even a little bit more warmly. However, it was strange that the warmer her smile, the colder that one would feel upon seeing it.

“Yes, I have recovered quite well. Hoping that Jiang xiaojie has also been well.” Su Jing Fei replied kindly. However, she didn’t offer any other words or questions to continue the conversation, causing Jiang Li Ling to feel a little embarrassed and awkward.

“En, this one thanks Su xiaojie for her kind words.” Jiang Li Ling looked increasingly uncomfortable as she struggled to find words to carry on the conversation. Honestly, when she had first heard about Su Jing Fei’s return and then saw the other girl, she’d come over to the table without a second thought. She knew that just by appearing before Su Jing Fei, the latter would be undoubtedly annoyed and be mean or vicious to her. What she hadn’t expected that Su Jing Fei would receive her amicably, even responding to her questions without a flinch or flicker of hatred like normally. “This one originally thought that since Su xiaojie had her engagement broken, that one’s broken heart had caused such severe illness. It is good that Su xiaojie has recovered.” She said the words so shamelessly that others were shocked at the direct hit that Su Jing Fei had received. This young girl was really courting danger!

However, Su Jing Fei merely kept the polite smile on her face, gazing back at Jiang Li Ling with neither a negative or positive expression. It was as though Jiang Li Ling didn’t even exist in Su Jing Fei’s eyes. And what was more, the people found themselves drawn to Su Jing Fei’s quiet yet calm appearance. For some reason, one could not help but find that the simple style of dressing coupled with the young woman’s gentle yet dignified demeanor made for such an elegant bearing. On top of that, Su Jing Fei’s smile held no malice nor favor; it was merely polite. One could not tell the emotions lurking under that surface, making a lot of people very wary of this sudden change in Su Jing Fei. However, what they did not realize that the short time of change was not short at all; this past year and half had changed Su Jing Fei like none other. Su Jing Fei knew that better than anybody else. So seeing Jiang Li Ling purposely provoke her, it was the same as watching from an outsider’s point of view. The Su Jing Fei of previous was no longer. Jiang Li Ling meant nothing to her.

“Well, if it isn’t Jiang san xiaojie,” spoke a young woman’s voice. Su Mei Rong’s voice was soft and polite, but there was a bit of a haughty undertone. She strolled over to Su Jing Fei’s table, followed by a group of other young noble women. “It is quite an interesting sight to see you around nowadays. How coincidental that you happened to meet my jie jie on her first trip out since returning to the capital.”

“Yes, well fate can be a bit funny at times, isn’t that right, Su er xiaojie?” replied Jiang Li Ling with a bright smile. “Perhaps one has also heard the rumor that a few princes will be visiting the Oak Tree Courtyard today. Su er xiaojie must be very excited!”

“Oh? This one has not heard.” Su Mei Rong’s voice remained calm, but there was just a hint of hatred in her eyes as she looked at Jiang Li Ling’s smiling expression. At her side, one of the other noble girls suddenly spoke up. “It seems like Jiang san xiaojie knows a lot about the princes!” Another chimed in, “Must be due to one’s own ambitions; lowly fishermen will naturally look to where the dragons swim for bigger fish!”

“You…!” Jiang Li Ling looked angry as she heard those women’s words. However, she schooled her expression into a pitiful one, exactly the same as the expression that Su Jing Fei had seen the girl use before. This was the beginning of her victim act.

However, the other young noble women weren’t afraid and continued to berate Jiang Li Ling. Su Mei Rong was surprisingly quiet, letting the other women speak while still remaining silent as though she was innocent and separate from all this.

Su Jing Fei’s eyes flickered between Jiang Li Ling and Su Mei Rong, feeling like there was quite a bit of hatred between the two. Of course, when one’s ambition was the phoenix, naturally one would be able to see the enemies who also wish to rise on those wings. Su Jing Fei continued to watch on in amusement, seated carefully in the middle of the quarrelling women with a calm and relaxed expression.

It was quite unexpected when the young women at Su Mei Rong’s side suddenly quieted, and their eyes shifted nervously to the figure over Jiang Li Ling’s shoulder. A clear and crisp young woman’s voice filled the air. “San-mei, do you intend to continue your embarrassment to the Jiang family?”

A look of anger flashed across Jiang Li Ling’s expression, but she quickly schooled her expression and meekly turned around, respectfully greeting the other young woman. “Jie jie, it was not my intention! I merely came over to greet Su da xiaojie but one’s good intentions were twisted and received many grievances…”

Looking at the other young woman, Su Jing Fei saw a stern and unyielding expression and recognized her as Jiang Li Xiu, the da xiaojie of the esteemed Minister of Justice’s family who also happened to be Jiang Li Ling’s older di sister. Straight brows, lips set in a firm line, lean face; these were all the things Su Jing Fei could recall from the movie Blossoms in the Wind. In the movie, Jiang Li Ling often dealt with the oppression from her older di sister Jiang Li Xiu; her and her yiniang mother were often embarrassments of the Jiang family in public society, which obviously struck the ‘righteous’ Chen Hui Zhe as being undoubtedly unfair to treat others poorly just because of whether they were a di or shu child. Su Jing Fei could agree with him on the latter point; however, what Chen Hui Zhe did not realize was that people didn’t like Jiang Li Ling or her mother just for those reasons. It was also in part because of Jiang Li Ling’s rude behavior, playing victim whenever someone called her out for her lack in propriety and manners. He was really a poor embarrassment for a righteous hero-type male lead.

“Mama, will you please escort Jiang san xiaojie back to the carriage? It has been a long day which has undoubtedly caused her to feel tired and be so unreasonable.” Jiang Li Xiu gestured for the servant women at her side to ‘escort’ Jiang Li Ling away. The young girl had a pitiful expression filled with many wrongs. It looked like she wasn’t going to go without a fight.

“Why has such a large crowd gathered around?” It was a familiar voice this time that spoke in an observing manner. Su Jing Fei could recognize that voice anywhere; in her memories, she’d dreamed about that voice whispering her name lovingly, those dark eyes gazing at her affectionately, and the dream that one day they’d be married. She felt the anger stir in her heart for the old Su Jing Fei, knowing just how much the other girl had truly loved this man. But here he was, appearing before her after a year and a half, and it was like nothing had changed. He still had the same handsome appearance and ignorant expression. Chen Hui Zhe stood near the walkway surrounding the garden’s edges. He was not alone, however. At his side, Su Jing Fei’s sharp eyes could distinguish the familiar face of the fourth prince Chen Hui Lang and a few high-ranking officials’ sons.

In just a few moments, Chen Hui Zhe’s expression changed rapidly. It went from surprise at the crowd, then shock at seeing Su Jing Fei, then anger when he noticed that Jiang Li Ling was being pulled away from the courtyard almost forcibly. He stomped over angrily as crowd left a wide part for his path to them. Everyone bowed respectfully before the princes, excluding Jiang Li Ling who somehow had suddenly bursted out crying.

“Su Jing Fei, this one had heard that you’ve just returned and now you’re acting the same as always! Bullying others! One had thought that you would have changed with time, but this one sees now that a snake may shed one’s skin and appearance but underneath is still a snake!” Chen Hui Zhe hurled self-righteous indignant remarks her way, and honestly, Su Jing Fei could not be bothered to care about this ignorant prince. He was the one making a fool of himself if he thought he knew the situation well enough to make accusations.

“This lowly one greets his Highness,” Su Jing Fei said respectfully towards him. Her gaze was warm yet cool, making others feel quite confused. Her own tone of voice was calm in comparison to Chen Hui Zhe, and she never made a nervous move, looking as relaxed as though insults had not just been thrown in her face. Everyone had thought that Su Jing Fei would cry and throw a tantrum, but one could clearly see that the young woman was unperturbed at all! “Hoping the third prince has been well. This one also greets his Highness, the fourth prince.” Su Jing Fei bowed respectfully towards Chen Hui Lang as he showed a surprised expression.

“You wish to dare ignore this prince? I thought I told you to stay away from Jiang Li Ling!”
Chen Hui Zhe remarked in a rude tone, not caring who heard him.

Whispers erupted around them as men and women heard his words. They had always known that the third prince had broken off his engagement from Su Jing Fei due to the Oak Tree Courtyard incident involving Jiang Li Ling, but until now, it had only been rumors that the third prince and a shu daughter had such romantic notions towards each other. The gossiping mouths could not just remain idle at the news!

“Perhaps his Highness would like to question Jiang Li Ling to find out the truth of the matter.” Su Jing Fei replied calmly.

Jiang Li Ling bit her lip nervously as everyone turned to look at her. Indeed, she had been the one to approach Su Jing Fei, but she hadn’t done anything wrong! She’d merely given a polite greeting! It was true that she was hoping to provoke a little something maybe… Because she’d known that Chen Hui Zhe was coming to Oak Tree Courtyard today.

Chen Hui Zhe turned to look at Jiang Li Ling, and the corners of his eyes softened, becoming a more gentle appearance. “Jiang Li Ling, are you okay? Were you being bullied again?”

“I…” Jiang Li Ling began, but she saw Jiang Li Xiu’s darkening expression and knew that if she made any more of a mess, she’d never be able to leave their residence again. She also could not lie under everyone’s watchful gaze, so she bit back her tears and replied, “I was the one who approached Su Jing Fei first. I just wanted to know if she was doing well since returning to the capital from Fuo Lan. Things got out of hand and… this lowly one apologizes for disrupting the peace in Oak Tree Courtyard.”

Chen Hui Zhe looked a little surprised that Jiang Li Ling would take the initiative to approach Su Jing Fei, especially knowing their history. However, hearing that the young girl only had well meaning intentions, he nodded his head in acceptance. Then he turned to Su Jing Fei with a stern expression. “Su Jing Fei, you should also apologize.”

Su Jing Fei almost laughed at the absurdity of the situation. Chen Hui Zhe had barged in without knowing anything and then demanded that she apologize for what? Sitting here as annoying people came to bother her? “This lowly one hopes that his Highness can elaborate. What exactly am I apologizing for?”

“Apologize for disrupting the peace in the Oak Tree Courtyard and bullying Jiang Li Ling, of course. When one has done causing significant trouble to those around them, then one should apologize.” He stated the words so matter-of-factly that everyone was quite confused at the sudden turn of events. While Su Jing Fei had been present during the fight, it was obviously Jiang Li Ling and Su Mei Rong’s entourage that disrupted the peace. In one’s eyes, there was a little bit of a sour feeling towards this third prince for making accusations based on nothing. However, they were also a little afraid because they wondered if there could come a day when this third prince also accuses them of something that had not been done.

Surprisingly, it was the fourth prince Chen Hui Lang who spoke up. “Third brother, perhaps we should inquire about the matter from a third party.” He had noticed the strange glances directed towards Chen Hui Zhe, and he knew of his older brother’s hot-headed outbursts. Without waiting for Chen Hui Zhe to reply, Chen Hui Lang quickly called for a nearby person to come over. The young noble woman looked red in the face as she was called by Chen Hui Lang and scurried over with a meek expression. “You’re the da xiaojie of the Minister of Land’s family, correct?”

“Yes, your Highness! My name is Mu Rong Li.” The young woman squeaked out her reply, looking quite frightened.

“It is alright, Mu xiaojie, as long as you speak the truth, there should be no issues.” spoke Chen Hui Lang in a calm voice with a smile. Nearby women shot envious glares at Mu Rong Li which caused the young woman to only get more nervous. “Can you help clarify what had happened here?”

“Yes, um…” Mu Rong Li flickered a glance towards Jiang Li Ling and then Su Jing Fei. When her eyes met Su Jing Fei, they dropped nervously back to the ground as the young woman continued speaking. “Part of what Jiang san xiaojie said was true. She approached Su Jing Fei first. And then Su Mei Rong and the others came and got in an argument with Jiang Li Ling. Then Jiang Li Xiu came to take Jiang Li Ling home. And then his Highnesses the third and fourth princes showed up…”

“This one thanks Mu xiaojie for shedding light on the matter.” Chen Hui Lang smiled warmly, which only caused the young woman to stutter more as she excused herself and shuffled back into the safety of the crowd. He turned to Chen Hui Zhe, speaking lightly. “Third brother is a righteous individual and has mistaken some things due to a sense of justice in upholding the proper order in Oak Tree Courtyard. Third brother has always tried to maintain the peace, but it seems this time was only a misunderstanding.” He spoke words with that pleasant expression, smoothing over the previous ill emotions until everyone nodded their heads in understanding. In regards to previous incidents, Chen Hui Zhe had been right in his accusations against Su Jing Fei and everything… who knew that it would be Su Jing Fei that had changed so much? Everyone felt a little calmer in their hearts and the negative emotions towards Chen Hui Zhe dissipated. However, many of them also looked towards Chen Hui Lang in a new light, seeing that the fourth prince was a reasonable and level-headed man. His handsome appearance was also quite good to look at for the young noble women.

However, Su Jing Fei’s eyes turned cold as they fell on Chen Hui Lang. In just a few minutes, the man had managed to get rid of everyone’s doubts towards Chen Hui Zhe, raise his own reputation among the noble youth, and simultaneously insult Su Jing Fei by stating that Chen Hui Zhe’s angry insults were merely ‘misunderstandings.’

“His Highness the fourth prince speaks well,” Su Jing Fei said observingly with a smile. “It is true that a misunderstanding had caused things to get out of hand. Then according to the princes’ logic, if one must apologize for disrupting the peace, then should that not also apply to the misunderstanding?” Meaning that if Chen Hui Zhe insisted on her apologizing, then by their own logic, Chen Hui Zhe would also have to apologize for his ignorance on the matter.

Hearing her words, everyone couldn’t help but see the reason. However, although they agreed with Su Jing Fei’s bold words, they dared not speak in fear of being reprimanded for going against an imperial prince!

It seemed as though Chen Hui Zhe was going to argue, but surprisingly, no angry words came out; there only remained a scowl on his face as he glared at Su Jing Fei. For some reason, whenever he looked at her, there would be irritation boiling in his blood at this thick-skinned woman’s haughty appearance. There was no one in this world who angered him quicker than this girl who had clung to his sleeves as a ‘future Princess consort.’ However, seeing her now, she was calm and collected; not even a trace of emotion in that polite expression. He thought that she must still be concealing that vicious nature under that facade, but it almost appeared as though Su Jing Fei was truly without a care in the world. In fact, she had barely even glanced in his direction except for the one time she had spoken to him. What exactly was she playing at?

Without saying another word, Chen Hui Zhe whirled around and left. He’d suffered enough humiliation today, and with his mood soured, he no longer had an interest to stay at Oak Tree Courtyard any further. Chen Hui Lang and the other young men quickly followed him away, and slowly, the crowd dispersed. There was a slight feeling of disappointment at such an anti-climatic ending, but there was not a disappointment of things to gossip about!

Jiang Li Xiu politely bid them farewell and also departed with Jiang Li Ling in tow. Jiang Li Ling looked visibly upset that Chen Hui Zhe had walked away without even saying goodbye to her, and she looked about ready to throw another tantrum. Su Mei Rong also looked upset and immediately wanted to go home, ordering Xi mama to go get the carriage to come around. Su Jing Fei didn’t bother to argue as she was also getting tired and sick of the place. They left quickly, and as the carriage rolled away, Su Jing Fei released a small sigh, feeling a painful ache against her temple as she swore to herself that she’d never go back to Oak Tree Courtyard for fear of contracting chronic headaches.

22