Chapter 30: Happy Eating
2.6k 17 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day was an important day for the Su family as a wide array of noble families were invited for the coming of age celebration for the Su er xiaojie, Su Mei Rong. When the noble families pulled up into the residence, they were greeted at the door by a large number of servants, and when the men and women separated, the women moved to an impressive backyard that had been filled with colorful and fragrant spring flowers. However, they were also met with a surprising individual; Su Jing Fei received the female guests alongside the Su Er Furen, Su Mei Rong, and Su Lao Furen.

Many knew about Su Jing Fei’s embarrassing situation as well as her previously embarrassing behaviors, but seeing the young girl now, they did not recognize the young woman who stood before them with a pleasant smile and refined appearance.

Swiftly and elegantly, Su Jing Fei greeted the furens and daughters of these noble families with a pleasing attitude. Her polite expression did not change even when the Jiang family arrived. Jiang Furen stepped out of the carriage first, followed by Jiang Li Xiu. Then came another young lady; her gentle expression differed greatly from Jiang Li Xiu’s stern one and Jiang Li Ling’s childish one, and one could tell that this young lady was quite well-mannered and subdued in character compared to her sisters. Jiang Li Qin was quiet and yielding to Jiang Li Xiu and Jiang Furen, but she was still the er xiaojie of the Jiang family and so looked quite similarly in appearance. After her, Jiang Li Ling stepped out of the carriage, looking quite shy and childlike in her expression. However, upon close inspection, one could see the hint of distaste in those doe eyes.

The men and women were kept separately until dinner was to be served, so currently, the women were seated in the backyard amongst the flowers and enjoying warm tea and snacks. Su Mei Rong, Su Jing Fei, and Su Yan Mei were made to accompany the group of young women through the garden while the older women were entertained by Liu shi and Su Lao Furen.

As the young women strolled through the garden, there was some pleasant chatter among them. “This one has never been to Fuo Lan before but has heard many great things! Is it true that the variety of pastries outdo the capital’s?”

Su Jing Fei smiled and answered all the innocent questions with honest brief answers. “Fuo Lan has a wide variety of pastries made from many different ingredients from all over the country of Chu. However, the capital city has pastries made from the most high quality ingredients that can be found. Both are impressive in their own way.”

The young women were quite impressed with Su Jing Fei’s answers but were also quickly becoming bored at the topics. Suddenly, someone brought up the topic of the young eligible bachelors among the nobility. This got everyone to become excited as every young woman dreams of these honorable men wooing them with words of love.

“This one heard that Li wangye was in Fuo Lan for a bit of time! Did Su da xiaojie ever get to meet him?” asked one of the girls excitedly.

“Only for a brief moment among polite company.” Su Jing Fei replied.

The young women were a bit jealous of Su Jing Fei’s good fortune of being able to meet Li wangye, but they knew that the daughters of a Prime Minister would have more opportunity, especially since Li Wei Sheng was also a high ranked Prime Minister and worked with Su Xuan Mo often.

Su Mei Rong looked quite surprised at Su Jing Fei’s answer though, as she hadn’t known that Li Wei Sheng and Su Jing Fei were acquainted. There was a flash of jealousy in her eyes, but little did she know, there was another young woman stewing with hatred for Su Jing Fei.

Jiang Li Ling followed after her older sisters, glaring at Su Jing Fei. In the past year and a half, Jiang Li Ling had worked hard to capture Chen Hui Zhe’s heart, but concubine Fang, Chen Hui Zhe’s birth mother, refused to let Chen Hui Zhe see her. They met every now and then, but she could see that Chen Hui Zhe’s interest in her had become waning… especially since he was quickly losing favoritism from the Emperor and others. No one wanted to support Chen Hui Zhe if they knew he was involved with a shu daughter…and so, Chen Hui Zhe had been making many excuses about currying favor with other nobles and haven’t been able to meet Jiang Li Ling in private for awhile now. Jiang Li Ling cursed her poor fate to be born to a yiniang and not the legal wife like Su Jing Fei. Su Jing Fei had everything going for her! She had an engagement to Chen Hui Zhe and was born with a silver spoon, but Jiang Li Ling had to work ten times harder for anything she wanted, especially under the oppression of Jiang Li Xiu.

“This one has heard that the sixth prince Chen Hui Zhong has recently returned to the capital!” Someone chimed in, sounding very excited the matter.

Chen Hui Zhong… Su Jing Fei knew quite a bit about this sixth prince as he was the main antagonist in the movie Blossoms in the Wind. Chen Hui Zhong and Chen Hui Zhe hated each other as both were the top candidates to take over the throne. The return of Chen Hui Zhong to the capital must be referring to his return after dealing with flooding and poverty issues in southern Chu. Chen Hui Zhong was a brilliant scholar and intelligent strategist and politician; however, Chen Hui Zhe had great military prestige and had the respect of many soldiers. Where one lacked, the other one excelled in. It was no wonder that the heir to the throne was quite a conflicting matter, especially since the Emperor had not announced an official heir.

Suddenly, a yatou approached them, bidding them to return because the dinner was starting. The young women returned to the garden and followed their mothers and the older furens to the dining hall. The men were already seated accordingly, and the women followed suit.

At the head of the table, Su Xuan Mo sat with Su Lao Furen and Liu shi on one side as the other side was Su Xuan Zi and other men. Next to Liu shi sat Su Mei Rong as where Su Jing Fei was seated beside Su Lao Furen. Yun shi and Su Yan Mei sat on Su Jing Fei’s side where the other women were seated. Su Xuan Mo spoke a few words of thanks to everyone who had showed up before gesturing for the servants to begin serving.

“This one has seen that Fei’er has matured greatly. If only my Mei’er could be half as mature and intelligent as Fei’er,” spoke Yun shi with a pleasant smile.

Su Jing Fei sipped at her tea as Yun shi spoke. It was only after she set down her cup that she gave her reply. “Yun shi is too kind. Mei’er is still young and has many years to grow. The capital city is a place filled with many learning opportunities. However, this one has been gone for quite awhile and is unfamiliar with things in the capital. I believe Rong-mei is much more well-versed in opportunities to grow and learn in the capital city.”

“Jie jie jests! This one has only learnt the basic teachings of what any xiaojie should.” Su Mei Rong spoke with a carefree attitude, appearing as innocent and sincere as one could.

“Fei’er indeed is far more intelligent than my Rong’er. This one just learned that my Fei’er owns three businesses in Fuo Lan. It takes a good mind and sense to be able to achieve such success.” Liu shi spoke the words offhandedly, but everyone seemed quite surprised. The only other person who had not looked surprised was Su Lao Furen who had known about the matter from Si Qiang.

“Wow, three businesses in Fuo Lan? Fei’er definitely has such great ability!” Yun shi said, but there was a hint of resentment in her voice. Her maternal family had a few businesses in Fuo Lan also but the success of these businesses were always difficult.

Su Yan Mei was also aware of this fact and looked enviously towards Su Jing Fei. Without thinking, she spoke. “Hmph, this one wonders how Fei-jie was truly able to afford such businesses.”

“Mei’er!” Yun shi spoke her daughter’s name in a reprimanding tone, but instead of continuing to scold Su Yan Mei, she glanced at Su Jing Fei, waiting for an answer.

Su Jing Fei smiled politely, seeing through Su Yan Mei and Yun shi’s poor act. “The three businesses were left to me by my late mother, the Da Furen, before she passed away. I believe it would count as part of my dowry.”

“Dowry? Then shouldn’t Mother be handling that as the current Er Furen and caretaker of the household? I mean, it would be the most proper and correct thing to do.” Su Mei Rong said innocently, looking towards her mother and Su Lao Furen for confirmation.

Ah, so this was the reason why Liu shi had mentioned the businesses. It was true that if something was to be part of the dowry, then usually the household’s furen would take care of the land and business contracts until the daughter was married off. It seemed like Liu shi was looking to take away the businesses, most likely attracted to the fact that Su Jing Fei had been able to afford nice things to return home with. It wasn’t like Su Jing Fei needed the businesses anyway because she’d be receiving a monthly allowance once more now that she resided at the main residence. However, who knew if Su Jing Fei would actually be able to keep those businesses once she was married of; most likely, Liu shi hoped to absorb them into the household and then distribute them equally between Su Jing Fei, Su Mei Rong, and Su Yan Mei.

Su Lao Furen furrowed her brows a bit, looking a little bit conflicted. “It is true that the proper thing to do would be to let the Er Furen take care of things until Fei’er has been married off.” Su Lao Furen has always been a stickler for proper manners and etiquette, including the running of the household so she couldn’t avoid commenting on the matter.

“That is true,” Su Jing Fei began, looking quite calm as she seemed to ponder a little bit about the matter. “However, unfortunately, since the contracts possess my name, I am unable to hand them over to Mother to take care of.”

Everyone looked quite surprised at Su Jing Fei’s open refusal, especially Su Mei Rong and Liu shi. “Jie jie, Mother is only looking to help you, and you’re going to refuse Mother’s help?” Su Mei Rong spoke the words, emphasizing the fact that Su Jing Fei had just refused to give the businesses to Liu shi.

“It is alright, Rong’er. Fei’er received those businesses from her late mother. Mother understands that Fei’er wishes to honor her late mother by keeping the businesses. It is alright.” Liu shi said in an appeasing tone as she smiled at Su Mei Rong and then at Su Jing Fei. “If Fei’er ever needs help, don’t hesitate to ask.”

“Fei-jie is too selfish! Won’t even let bomu help her. One does not really know where Fei-jie’s boldness comes from!” Su Yan Mei spoke in a childish tone.

Su Jing Fei looked calm in the face of Su Yan Mei’s insults, sipping her tea lightly. Su Yan Mei was really still only a child, speaking her mind without a filter. However, Su Jing Fei much preferred Su Yan Mei’s direct words as opposed to Su Mei Rong and Liu shi’s implied words. “Mei-mei is mistaken. It is not that I wish to refuse Mother’s help. However, since the contracts possess my name, I am unable to give them to anyone to take care of, even if I wished to. Surely, everyone must have heard of the Feng family incident.”

Liu shi remained outwardly calm, but her eyes gazed at Su Jing Fei with slight apprehension. She knew the exact details of her distant cousins’ demise, and she had made sure to cut off all ties with them. Their family relation was distant and not well known since Liu shi had married into the Su family, but she was still hesitant about whether Su Jing Fei knew about this fact or not. She was just a little more cautious as the conversation continued.

“What does the Feng family’s incident have to do with you?” asked Su Yan Mei in a confused and annoyed voice.

Everything. They had everything to do with Su Jing Fei. But she merely smiled in response before answering plainly. “Ever since the Feng family’s corruption was exposed to the Emperor, new laws had been placed on Fuo Lan as the biggest trade city in Chu. The laws dictate how trade and business contracts are handled, including the fact that a family may not buy and sell land and businesses using their children’s names in an effort to bypass the new restrictions. The previous restrictions stated that a family could only hold a limited amount of contracts under their name in the city of Fuo Lan. It seems that there was a flaw that allowed parents to buy land and contracts under their children’s names, allowing for large and influential families to monopolize the trade market in Fuo Lan. This corruption caused a new law to be put in place; whoever the contract’s name is under is the one who will be in charge and responsibility cannot be handed off. If the contract holder is deemed incapable of managing the contract’s terms, then the contract’s property will return to the city and state and be put up for auction. Therefore, unfortunately, I will have to handle the businesses in Fuo Lan in the meantime.”

The other women looked at Su Jing Fei with strange expressions. Some were of confusion, some envy, and some were shocked. None had thought that Su Jing Fei would be so well-versed in the laws of the land, especially the previously selfish and childish Su Jing Fei!

“I-Is that so…” spoke Yun shi in a hesitant tone. “Well, Fei’er has definitely learned a lot while in Fuo Lan!”

Su Jing Fei smiled but spoke no further and went back to eating. However, it was Liu shi who was irritated at the fact that Su Jing Fei had openly refused her and humiliated her on top of that! With Su Jing Fe's display of knowledge, it clearly showed her incompetent knowledge as well as Rong’er’s. As they were supposed intelligent and scholarly women, how could they not know about such things? Liu shi had been too careless, and now, she could only eat quietly as the other women started small conversations around her.

"Wow, these dishes are exquisite!” Many people began praising the food, causing Su Xuan Mo to become very pleased. When people began asking Su Xuan Mo about the food’s ingredients and the recipes used, he flickered a glance in Su Jing Fei’s direction. The young woman ate quietly and sipped her tea with a pleasant and calm expression.

“Yes, well, my first daughter has just returned to the capital after recovering her health in Fuo Lan. These are some of the best ingredients used for some of the most popular recipes in Fuo Lan!” Su Xuan Mo explained with a broad smile, appearing as charming and likable as a prime minister should.

One of the men spoke up, asking a curious question. “This fish is delicious! I must know where you got this fish from.” It was the Assistant Minister of Revenue, Che Xiao Tong; a man with a wide girth around his belly and a wide gaping mouth that stretched every time he laughed or talked about food.

“Ah, yes, well…” Su Xuan Mo looked hesitant, reluctant to talk to Su Jing Fei. She had previously caused him disgrace, even being looked down upon from others in court. He was quite reluctant to let her speak in front of others for fear of having her embarrass him again. However, he could not provide the answer that Che Xiao Tong was looking for, and Che Xiao Tong was a man that Su Xuan Mo needed good relations with. Although Che Xiao Tong was only the Assistant Minister of Revenue, he was a more likable personality than the Minister of Revenue Shao Yang Zhu who was strict and to the books. “It was obtained in Fuo Lan by my eldest daughter, Su Jing Fei.”

“Su da xiaojie, I must implore you, where did you get such delicious fish from?” Che Xiao Tong inquired with a wide smile.

Su Jing Fei set down her cup of tea, smiling pleasantly as she turned to reply to the man. Her voice was steady and calm as she answered. “The fish was obtained from the Lu Hai Lake in Fuo Lan. If the Assistant Minister of Revenue likes the dish, then this one will gladly send the recipe to the Che residence.”

Liu shi froze, her chopsticks hovering over the fish that was on her plate. The Lu Hai Lake… that was the lake where the Feng family had their lakeside residence! But not only that, Liu shi knew the secrets of that residence and its relationship with the lake. When the Feng family needed someone to disappear, that person would most likely end up at the bottom of the Lu Hai Lake as fish food! If this fish was from there, then there was no doubt that these fish had fed on the flesh of human bodies that were sent to the bottom of the lake!

Su Jing Fei’s eyes flickered over to Liu shi, watching carefully as the older woman set down her chopsticks and put a hand to her mouth. There was no doubt about it; Liu shi had definitely been aware about the truth of the lake. Su Jing Fei’s lips curved into a smile, and there was a warm joy that radiated from her happy expression.

Everyone was stunned at Su Jing Fei’s suddenly beautiful expression; it was an unfamiliar first expression. Even the Su family was taken aback by it. No one had ever seen Su Jing Fei show such an alluring expression. The young woman’s cheeks were slightly flushed pink, and those chestnut shaped eyes curved into a delightful expression. Everyone could see that Su Jing Fei was very happy, but they were all confused at the young girl’s sudden joy.

Liu shi noticed everyone’s distracted attention and looked towards their gazes. The color drained from her face as she noticed that Su Jing Fei was displaying an extremely happy expression while staring at her. There was no doubt now! Su Jing Fei definitely knew about Liu shi’s involvement with the Feng family in Fuo Lan!

“Mother, is something the matter?” came Su Jing Fei’s clear voice as her expression fell back into a pleasantly calm one. Everyone blinked, feeling a little strange at seeing Su Jing Fei’s expression change so fast. They were unsure if the delightful and beautiful expression on Su Jing Fei’s face was merely an illusion, but they eventually returned to eating heartily, wishing to stuff themselves on the delectable foods before them.

Liu shi carefully controlled her expression, but her hand still remained covering her lips. She saw the expressions of those around her; she watched as they happily ate away at the fish. And she thought about the fact that they didn’t know that the reason the fish were so plump was because they had feasted on human flesh, thanks to the Feng family. As everyone gorged themselves on the food, Liu shi felt increasingly nauseous. Then she remembered her daughter, Su Mei Rong, who was innocently eating beside her! “Rong’er!”

“Mother, are you alright?” asked Su Mei Rong with a concerned expression. The young woman could feel her mother’s fingers trembling against her own, and she suddenly felt afraid. What was her mother so scared of?

Liu shi turned her gaze to Su Jing Fei who continued to watch them with a pleasant smile. This despicable Su Jing Fei… Liu shi had truly underestimated her!

27