Chapter 35: Gods & Sins
1.2k 7 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
This chapter was sponsored by Alda, Atiqah, and Azurixa! Thank you guys for buying me some coffee to fuel this unhealthy additiction of mine to stay up late writing xD

 

“Young master, forgive my insolence, but how can you trust Su xiaojie’s words so easily?” Shan Yu was at his master’s side back in the Li household manor. Although Shan Yu was a servant and should not dare to speak so forthright, he was also one of Li Wei Sheng’s most trusted individuals and often spoke up when he was suspicious or unsure of certain matters pertaining to his master’s safety. This Su Jing Fei… Shan Yu knew just how much his young master had kept an eye on the mysterious xiaojie’s actions over the past year and a half. She was quite formidable, and the knowledge and secrets she obtained could not be found out even by Shan Yu’s deep investigation or observations.

Li Wei Sheng was seated at his desk, briefly flipping through the pages of the blue book that Su Jing Fei had given him. “Am I the type to trust so easily?”

Shan Yu pursed his lips but remained in a respectful position before his master. It wasn’t that he disliked Su Jing Fei or anything… He had also been present during the Feng family scandal and knew the details of her plight. However, Su Jing Fei displayed a sharp mind and a mask that even his young master was unable to tell the emotions hidden beneath. 

Li Wei Sheng was well aware of Shan Yu’s worries. He was also well aware of Su Jing Fei’s character, especially her growth over the past year and a half. He had one of his secret guards watching over her actions back in Fuo Lan, updating him on her daily life. It was not for worry over her life or care, but more precisely his curiosity after he learned about her taking in the victims of the Feng family. Was she as truly compassionate as that? Did she have any other ulterior motive for allowing them to become her people? He had learned that some now worked in her businesses as travelling merchants similar to the Guo family. Perhaps, he had been thinking too deeply. However, upon her return to the capital, their first interaction consisted of her giving him a book full of corrupted officials within the capital. How had she obtained such information? 

“I won’t deny that this book is exactly the type of thing that would be beneficial to us.” Li Wei Sheng stated as he finished flipping through the book. It’s legitimacy was confirmed by the fact that he already knew of this piece of evidence long before it had fallen into his hands. It was a singular item linking chains of corrution within the court, but ultimately, this was something that Li Wei Sheng had put in the back of his mind since returning to the capital. But why would Su Jing Fei give him such a thing? Hadn’t she been engaged previously to the third prince Chen Hui Zhe? Unless this was to get back at their broken engagement. Although Li Wei Sheng wasn’t around in the capital at the time, he was still well aware of the gossip among the nobility, especially such a high profile situation involving one of the princes. Li Wei Sheng sat in his study quietly contemplating Su Jing Fei’s hidden intentions. 

The following days were quiet until it was only two days till the Qu family were set to return with a large banquet being held by the Emperor. After finishing her morning reports, an unexpected guest stealthily appeared in her room. 

“Shut the doors, I’ll be in my room reading.” Su Jing Fei commanded Yize and Mu Tan to enclose the inner room to avoid the other servants from disturbing. After hearing the light sounds of exiting footsteps, Su Jing Fei approached the kneeling figure and sat down at the table. “It’s been awhile since I’ve seen you, Heng. How have you been?”

The kneeled figure gave a respectful bow before standing and addressing her. The older woman had a sturdy figure built from years of martial arts; she had a heroic face with a stern expression and wheat-colored skin. “Thanking da xiaojie for her concern. This lowly servant has been well.” 

“En, please, sit.” Su Jing Fei gestured towards a chair. There was no need to maintain strict formalities. It was only the two of them. 

However, Heng was a strict individual and declined the seat. She remained standing and slowly reported to Su Jing Fei about the matters concerning her unexpected visit. Hearing Heng’s words, Su Jing Fei’s expression grew dark. “So Yun shi has finally started making her move…”

“Yes, da xiaojie.” Heng kept her head lowered. 

A cold and dark feeling seeped into Su Jing Fei’s bones, but there was a bittersweet taste in the feeling of anticipation. “Take me there tonight.” 

Heng hesitated for a moment, but ultimately could not deny her xiaojie’s order. “Yes, da xiaojie. I’ll make preparations. This lowly one will return.” As quietly as she came, Heng receded from Su Jing Fei’s room. 

As Yize and Mu Tan returned to the room, Su Jing Fei informed them of her plan to leave the manor for the night. “Tonight, Yize, you shall rest in my bed impersonating me for the night. If anyone asks, the eldest daughter of the Su family has fallen sick and wishes to recuperate to be in good health for the return of her maternal grandfather.” No one would disturb her with such an excuse for fear of incurring Qu Zhi Qiang’s wrath. 

“Da xiaojie, I will accompany you.” Mu Tan spoke heavily as she lowered her head in front of Su Jing Fei. 

“You shall accompany Yize and make sure no one disturbs my ‘rest.’” Su Jing Fei replied in a quiet voice. 

Yize and Mu Tan’s lips were pursed from unspoken words. They wanted to be with their da xiaojie, but could only agree quietly to her plan. As the sky darkened and night came, Su Jing Fei changed into light clothing. When Heng appeared, Yize and Mu Tan took up their positions for the night, allowing Su Jing Fei to slip out of the manor quietly with Heng. Although Su Jing Fei was someone without martial art skills, Heng had acquired the ability of light and fast steps and was able to move at a fantastic speed even while carrying Su Jing Fei on her back. 

As the clouds settled onto the ground and covered the dark earth in a light mist, Su Jing Fei and Heng slipped outside the city walls and entered the forests surrounding the imperial city. In about an hour of journeying, Heng arrived at the bottom of a large cliff. However, looks were deceiving. Behind the dense natural foliage scaling the cliff’s walls, there was a hidden cave entrance. Its smooth walls had been carved through many years of wind and rain, and as they stepped into its mouth, Su Jing Fel felt the air grow silent and cold. As they stepped further into the cave, it was as though all sound and light was swallowed by the shadows. 

Until the darkness finally gave way to a small flickering light that chased away the shadows. As they approached the light, Su Jing Fei’s eyes could barely make out a dark silhouette resting against a rock. Her footsteps felt heavy as she recognized the person. Each breath she took was slow and deliberate; every nerve in her body tingled with awareness. As they finally arrived at the seated figure, Su Jing Fei’s dark eyes never left the lowered head. The person’s hair was still pulled back in a neat appearance, and the clothes on their body revealed a well-off lifestyle. To anyone else, this person looked rather pitiful upon closer appearance due to the dirt and grime coating every inch of the individual’s clothes, hair, and body. But to Su Jing Fei, this unsightly appearance was nothing. 

“How did you manage this?” Su Jing Fei asked quietly. 

The seated figure did not move. 

Heng’s expression was unperturbed as she explained her ‘preparations.’ “He made it easy. Leaving the city walls meant less protection and less detection from unnecessary individuals. The carriage only had one driver and two guards guarding a large box.” 

“A box…” Su Jing Fei murmured. She wanted to laugh at the absurdity of it all. He thought he could hide from her by being transported in a box of all things. But it was more like a dead man being delivered in a coffin to his death. “The destination?” 

“Xinyi.”

“He was being sent out of Chu?”

“It seems his maternal family has relations living in Xinyi for business.” 

“Hmm…” Su Jing Fei finally stepped closer, leaning downward as she became eye level with the seated figure. “You’ve been feigning sleep for long enough. Wake up.”

The seated figure’s slack posture stiffened as his fake act was found out. However, at the sound of the young woman’s cold voice, fear caused the man to tremble slightly. He raised his dirt-stricken face and revealed a familiar appearance. “D-Da xiaojie. Please, I beg you… Dear gods… I know I was wrong... ” 

Hearing those words spoken in the familiar voice, the corner of Su Jing Fei’s lips rose slightly. “I was once in your position, wondering if death would come swiftly. I wondered if my family was safe. I begged the gods to help me. I begged them to spare her. Do you think the gods have heard our pleas? If so, I think the lives of sinful mortals like us aren’t worth sparing. Wouldn’t you agree, Zihuan?”

11