Chapter 94: Travelling at Night
2.4k 1 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

Falling asleep swiftly, Nisha entered her [Inner World]. Taking a moment to appreciate the beauty of the landscape hidden inside her soul, the dragon let her senses wander.

Flowing through hidden valleys, brooks and sharp cliffs, the forest covering the surroundings was very familiar to her, almost resembling the domain belonging to the [Dragon’s Den].

Aside from her treasure meadow, where she organized all of the various treasures she obtained either from fighting other beasts and monsters or which appeared while she slept, the dragon had gone on numerous explorations, looking for the limits of the forest and the world inside her soul.

Relying on her senses, Nisha could travel far faster than she could with a physical body, yet she had yet to reach a limit to the lands inside the [Inner Space]. Additionally, depending on the direction she travelled, the terrain also shifted. An ocean, a desert, flowing fields of grass and mountains reaching the heavens, everything existed in here. Even crystal caverns and open valleys filled with flowing magma, all kinds of mysterious sceneries appeared.

However, ever since she formed a contract with Accalia, something changed here. A new wind appeared, drifting over the woods, the stones and even the air itself.

Closing her eyes and looking for changes, a particular scene attracted her attention.

 

Inside the small river running through the treasure valley, she had previously thrown the pearl and the chunk of metal she won at the festival inside. So far she had no real need for it and had not paid them much attention, much like the ore she received from the lizard living in the hidden room inside the Dungeon and the other treasures here.

Her reason for the sudden attention was a small cloud, floating inside the creek and surrounding both the materials, extending tendrils like a spider web to hold itself in place while enveloping them.

Sending her mana inside the web to ascertain the nature of the anomaly, Nisha was surprised to recognize the structure.

By nature of the contract, Little Lia held a connection with her soul. The lump in the water still lacked this connection, yet she recognized it as the spirit that appeared when she had opened the second egg. Intermixed with a few drops of her blood, the spirit had surged into her body earlier, however the elf had no idea it actually entered the [Inner Space]. Additionally, compared to the ethereal appearance it had during the day, now it was far more denser, yet at the same time weaker. Pulsating from time to time, mana surged from the surroundings and entered the cloud, strengthening the web holding everything together.

 

Studying the anomaly for some time, Nisha ultimately decided to get an expert’s input. Although she had some knowledge regarding spirits from her friend Thana at the temple and her studies in the Grand Library, it was surprising how much odds and ends accumulated in regular books which had no connection to cultivation and magic.

Imagining the rift bringing her closer to the answers, she waved her hands in a wide arc. Wherever her arm passed in front of her vision, the door leading to her desired destination appeared.

Striding through the golden gate, a new scene emerged.

A small circle of lush green grass contained a delicate tea table as well as two chairs of the same style. Beyond the silver line separating the sceneries, war reigned supreme.

Wielding stone axes and spears made from wood, barbarians slaughtered each other, crying either war anthems or death throes.

Oddly enough, neither of the two warring factions took notice of the peaceful sphere.

In a primal way, the dragon admired the valor of the warriors. None of them shied away from the bloody affair, none dropped their weapon, even in their moment of death. For their conviction, they earned Nisha’s respect.

 

Approaching the womanly figure adorned with purple hair, Nisha did not call out to her. This was Gabriel’s and Bael’s domain. Whatever happened here, they were already aware. Similarly, the elf instantly noticed the invader in her space. There was no need for greetings.

“What can I do for you, little one? It’s been awhile since your last visit.”

A pang of guilt ran through the elf’s body. True, she hadn’t visited the heavenly sisters as often as her other acquaintances, after all the other party was a pair of true goddesses! While she didn’t feel the pressure personally, a form of reverence still was appropriate.

“I’m just kidding, no need to look that guilty. When you live as long as I do, you start to count the years like days. From my perspective, it’s been barely a moment since you were here the last time. How can I help you?”

Offering the other seat to her visitor, Bael smiled amiably. In her heart, maybe this was what she really thought. Nevertheless, Nisha resolved herself to visit more often in the future.

“Actually, there’s something I don’t understand and it happens to fall right into your element. But before that, I’m curious at what are you looking at. What’s happening there?”

Taking a seat, she realised there was even a pot of tea prepared, with two cups, one already used.

Filling the fresh one with a mouthful of tea, Bael handed it to her.

 

“It’s an old story, actually. A long time ago, two tribes existed. I take it you remember the story about the two tribes before that. Well, these tribes were similar. Settling on some old ruins, they traded with each other. Although they had relations in that way, the clans never made an attempt to unite. Coexisting in peace, they prospered. One day, however, relics started appearing. Made by their ancestors, their interpretation varied, symbols indicated how they lived in the past. Whatever they saw, one of the families believed in the old artifacts while the other vehemently denied it, calling it blasphemy to the ways handed down from the previous generation.

Faith always divided dynasties, even tribes are no exception.”

Making a pause, either to remember clearly or simply to finish her cup of tea, Bael sighed deeply.

“Anyway, these two tribes never traded again and started to hate each other. One of them followed the faith of the artifacts, while the others remained truthful to the ways of their fathers.

In the beginning, they only eyed each other carefully, scorning the other party for their choices.

 

Over a generation, this delicate balance worked, the tribes prospering, not as much as when they traded, yet they still expanded. One fateful day, their ways crossed again. Wary from the accounts their fathers told them - coloured in the scornful opinion each individual held - they disdained each other.

Clashing time after time, their relations finally broke down.

Can you believe it? A whole generation died in this argument. Neither side knew what they died for, whether their fathers were right or wrong. Each side believed them to be just, yet all of them fell down, their bodies returning to the earth, forgotten in the river of time. Isn’t it a sad story?”

 

Deep inside, Nisha knew this wasn’t just a story. The vivid images seemed more like a memory than just an account.

“Do you know who was right? Did the belief make them stronger or was it their demise?”

Seeing how all of the brave warriors were bound to die in this place, the dragon felt sad. Fighting bravely, at least some of them should have been rewarded with victory.

“In their own way, both tribes were justified in their own way. The artifacts and the ways passed down by their ancestors didn’t differ that much. Fighting to the death over the details, I think they were both wrong in the end.

Do you know what stood in the place where we sit right now? It held significance for their fight.”

Smiling slyly, Bael reminiscenced. Nisha knew a few details from the last story. Linking the tribes which got ruined in the past with the current story, she had an idea.

“Did their belief happen to center around two goddesses?”

The fighting should be one of the memories directly witnessed by the purple haired lady. The wistful smile, the sad eyes, everything pointed to this answer.

“Close. A holy tree, blessing both tribes with sacred fruits, capable of reviving the dead and slaying the most powerful monsters. Each tribe felt rightful in their desire to monopolize it, to own the tree as their own and denounced the others right. In the end, the remnants of the young generation failed to survive with the few remaining warriors from the holy war. The sacred tree also lost all of its fruits when the blood drenched its roots, extinguishing the last hope they held as well as their secret desires. A sad tale, overall.”

 

Sighing deeply, once, the scenery beyond the line blurred, obliterated by the winds of time.

Apparently, the goddess wanted to put an end to it here, in spite of that the dragon still had some questions.

“Did the Holy Tree forsake them? Is it a true tale?”

On the inside, Nisha was already sure she just saw a memory from a young Bael and Gabriel.

Thinking it through, she felt sorrow for the two tribes. Looking at it objectively, when the results were obvious, both sides lost. Their tribes died, their legacies lost besides a single memory, held by a silent observer.

On the other hand, both tribes were also right in their beliefs, from their perspective. If she were to make the same choice right at this moment, maybe she would call for war as well.

“I used to think of it as a waste. Now I’m old and hopefully a bit more mature, maybe a bit wiser too. It’s a lesson. A reminder, to caution us about extremes. They aren’t always harmful, sometimes even beneficial, but if you only allow absolute truths, without second guessing yourself, you are prone to forget the importance of life.

Well, it’s easy to say that now, looking back. Treat it as an allegory. It’s not important anyway.”

Replacing the dreary war scene, the rest of the garden the tea table and lush greenery belonged to resurfaced.

 

“Now that we discussed what was on my mind, tell me, what can I do for you? It’s rather easy to read your face, if I may say so. Not a good attitude for an aspiring noble.”

Graciously smiling, Bael resembled her sister Gabriel more momentarily.

“I give up. Can I show you something in my [Inner Space]? It is as you say, there is an oddity which showed up there recently, I can’t make heads or tails out of it.

Is it even possible for you to access my [Inner Space]?”

Now that she voiced her request, it occurred to the dragon it might not be feasible to invite Bael, however she already said it out loud.

“Usually it would require some direct contact with you or a long ritual followed by an expensive cast, mind magic is a weird topic. Fortunately, you already mastered the creation of Gates. As long as you invite me and open the door, I can simply walk through it. Isn’t that great?”

Even the dragon got lost in the beauty the goddess showed at the moment, her smile radiant as the sun.

Still, the choice of words aroused her interest.

 

“Is the creation of Gates that uncommon? I didn’t think it was that hard…”

Doubt flashed on her face, her attempts quickly succeeded in creating one. Simply imagining one and deciding a destination was enough for her to arrive in Gabriel’s and Bael’s space.

“Don’t let others hear that, they might kill you out of anger.

Typically, people aspiring to learn the intricacies of space and travelling between them start with slashing rifts into it. Split space first and walk through it, learn to stabilize it later.

That’s the theory at least. You’re really more than just innately gifted when I look at your Gates. You didn’t need to try that often either. Really, if I didn’t know better I’d say you’re a little freak.”

Her smile took the spike out of her words.

“Did you realize all the possibilities yet? How you can apply the Gates?”

Not changing her expression, Bael suddenly felt like teasing the young girl, even if she were to reveal some secrets.

“Apply them? What do you mean?”

The query hit the dragon in an unexpected spot. Creating the Gates was a convenient ability, however she also thought that was all there is to them. Hearing about other uses now piqued her interest.

Looking expectantly at her friend, Nisha knew she wouldn’t get any answers. And Bael didn’t disappoint her in this aspect either.

“Try it out on your own for a bit, you’ll be surprised. Now, let’s not wait around any longer. You had something to show me, didn’t you? Open a gate for me, so I can take a look.”

Finishing her tea, Bael rose from her seat.

48