27: Purple Chest
76 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We have obtained a land of promise, a land which is choice above all other lands. - Words of Lehi, Second Nephi 1:5

 

Alex's eyes shined as he looked down at the purple treasure chest in front of him.

Of course, seconds ago the chest was Clyde, and he was a person with dreams, feelings, a story...but what did that have to do with Alex?

Seal!

"Galvarino...Galvarino...Galvarino...Galvarino, Galvarino..." Alex chanted the mantra. He was very impressed by the fighting power Galvarino showed. He really wanted a physical summon like that to tank for him while he safely relaxed in the back, throwing the occasional rock.

A string connected from his card into Clyde, pulling out a light ball that entered the card. Alex poured his consciousness into the card in eager anticipation.

"...Damnit! Who are you?!?" It wasn't Galvarino. Alex found some old man in gray ancient clothing, with a white beard as pure as snow. He wore a white, scarf headdress to protect him from the elements as if he was accustomed to going on long, perilous journeys.

"I am Lehi, Lord." Unlike Houdini, the old man did not seem surprised to be here, as if everything was as it should be.

Alex wanted to throw the card into the trash when he saw it was some random, but the man's temperament made him think twice.

"Have any of you heard of a Lehi?" he asked his Generals.

'Sir, Lehi was a prophet from the book of Mormon. It was said he successfully made an extremely grueling trip across the seas from Israel to the Americas,' Scott replied.

"...Lehi, what is your soul ability?" Alex decided to give him a chance.

"It is Liahona, Lord. The Divine Compass. Once a day, it can take you to the location of your wish, sometimes through abstract paths," Lehi replied with a kind smile.

Alex was satisfied, this meant he wouldn't need to be a victim of the deceit and treachery of Google Maps anymore. "Very well, are you willing to become my General?"

"Of course, Lord. It is my great honor." Alex felt Lehi was being sincere. This Lehi seemed to have a special way with people. The two made the soul contract and soon Lehi was inside of Cardopolis.

Lehi gazed over the city of cards, his eyes faintly shining as if seeing an oasis after a long journey through the desert. He looked down at a compass, its pointer finally moving after being lifeless for so many centuries. "I've finally arrived..." he whispered through quivering lips.

Compared to Houdini, Alex wasn't as disappointed with Lehi this time. At least with Lehi, he didn't have to worry about him becoming a killer clown. After that was over, he first went back and collected his piles of gold. Then he looked around the scene to see if there was anything else he could take.

First, he remembered Clyde's force field generator, but regrettably, it had been broken when Balisarda stabbed him. Then he remembered something else. He ran over to where Clyde first entered. There he found the laser rifle Clyde had used in the beginning of the battle. "Scott, is this rifle broken?"

'Sir, it should have only gone on cooldown from overuse. It's likely still functional,' Scott replied.

As soon as he picked up the rifle, he found that it was very heavy and decided to instead Seal it for now. He went back to Clyde and took his goggles which could come in useful someday. Lastly, he checked Clyde's pockets and stole the cash from his wallet and an uneaten protein bar.

This is the way of the world. The winner eats the loser and their protein bars.

Alex was satisfied. With this, it could be said his trip so far hadn't been a waste. He then remembered they had a bigger problem. "Clyde's dead but the biggest problem hasn't been solved. How do I get out of here?"

'Lord, I suggest using the Divine Compass.' Lehi offered his first contribution to the team.

Alex felt it was a good idea so he summoned it. In his hands appeared a melon-sized black and gold globe with a small golden stem at its top. Alex pulled the stem and the globe opened into two hemispheres, inside of which he found an intricately designed golden compass. The workmanship was extremely strange and detailed, as if something not from Earth. "How do I use this?"

'Lord, simply focus your heart on the place you wish to go to and the compass will do the rest,' Lehi explained.

Alex had no experience in "focusing his heart" so he almost started cursing at Lehi, but he still went ahead and thought about his little messy apartment in Brooklyn, with that useless dog that had probably chewed up all his shoes by now. Not long after, the compass pointer started spinning at blinding speed, before finally stopping to point at the path Clyde had come from.

As Alex started to move in the direction of the path, he heard a familiar sound. He turned to look at his original passageway that had been blocked by a gate and saw that it was opening again. Quickly, a platoon of soldiers poured out with their guns drawn and started firing in Alex's direction.

"Damn, Stormtroopers, escape!" Alex began sprinting into the path ahead. After he entered, he looked back at the dozens of soldiers running in his direction. He gritted his teeth and unsealed a stack of gold in the narrow path to block them off. As he ran away, a single tear fell from his eye and stained the floor.

Alex had already given first names to each gold brick, but before he even got the chance to teach them how to ride a bike, a father was forced to abandon his children.

'Billy...Annie...Everyone...Please forgive meeeee!!!'

He ran through the passages following the direction of the compass as the shouts of soldiers grew increasingly distant behind him. After running for a few minutes, he found himself in another hangar, but much smaller than the one he had fought in. This one only had one entrance--it was a dead end. "Lehi, what the hell! This compass is broken!"

Alex kept looking around for a passage until his eyes finally noticed the large object in the center. This aircraft hangar only had one aircraft. However, it was currently levitating off the ground...

It was a UFO.

 


Author's Note:

According to the Book of Mormon, the prophet Lehi received a vision of the Tree of Life in a dream. - "Tree of life vision" (Wikipedia)

4