35: A new General
67 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
The memory haunted Dracula. Not a day goes by where he doesn't look back and wish he made a different choice. Laying there, a bloody mess, he couldn't help but reflect on his life. 'I've saved my people, yet they still became ashes in the dirt. I've gained wisdom...only to see the futility of my struggles. I've lived centuries...to become a festering shell of death and darkness.' He sighed. 'I've had enough of this world...'
 
"I've lived long enough like this. Just kill me." Dracula closed his eyes, preparing for Hell.
 
...
 
He peeked out of one eye. 'Why am I not dead yet?'
 
Dracula saw Alex looking at him, with his chin quivering, Alex said, "I know them feels bro."
 
...
 
"You vampires have to work as bartenders, nightclub hosts, gigolos, all just to get one meal. I know what it's like to live like that..." Alex said.
Dracula lips turned downwards. "Are you mocking me?"
 
"No. In fact, I live in a place like this." Alex looked around at the dark cavernous space. There was a decapitated body and a wall covered in brains. "Almost this bad...This world isn't an easy place to live in. I understand your feelings." Alex's expression was sincere.
 
He really had never seen a worse apartment than his before. He even ordered 12 months of Better Homes and Gardens to try to make it look nicer, only for the end result to be half a notch above a vampire's murder dungeon. 
 
The good news for Alex was, after seeing Dracula's place, he felt his position in the world increased. That's when he realized that only fools work hard to improve themselves. It's a much more cost-effective option to surround yourself with bigger losers than you. He was thankful for Dracula's sacrifice.
 
"Aren't you...afraid or disgusted by me?" Dracula's mouth opened and he squinted his eyes.
 
Alex looked at Dracula seriously. His long wavy hair was a mess, exposing his sharp ears. His face was covered in blood and grime, ruining his chiseled European features. To a normal person, he was indeed disgusting, but those people hadn't seen Alex when he didn't shower, all because he couldn't afford the water bill. "Why? Because you drink human blood? No. Who doesn't have flaws? Who hasn't made mistakes? Nobody's perfect." His words were genuine.
 
'Blood is not that bad, at least it's warm and fresh.' Alex remembered when he was so poor that he had to eat expired dog food. It was a case of his standards already being at the bottom. Unfortunately for Dracula, he completely misunderstood Alex's motivations.
 
Dracula's eyes became moist. He couldn't remember the last time anyone treated him as anything but a monster or a slave. He had been shunned his entire life. Not one person had ever accepted him before.
 
"Look...I didn't come here for you. I need to know where I can find the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. I know they hold rituals in these catacombs. Tell me that and I'll be on my way."
 
Dracula's eyes widened slightly. "You are really not with the Chiva family?"
 
"No. You can say I'm their enemy." The chosen ones dropped loot, so they were all Alex's enemies until his drops got nerfed.
 
"Are you a chosen one?"
 
"I guess."
 
Dracula looked down at the ground. 'If I had to continue in this world, I would rather die, but a new world where I would not be a slave to my hunger...' He clenched his jaw and his eyes became firm.
 
"In that case, Lord, would you grant this lowly one the honor of becoming your General?" Dracula stared hard at Alex, trying to transmit his sincerity through his eyes. While he did this, he wildly flailed his four stumps and torso. The goal was to flip over and position himself into a kneeling posture to show respect. Instead, he looked like a disabled dog waiting for a treat.
 
Alex was entertained, although he didn't have treats. 'These vampires sure love that dog life. This is a good sign though. Putting all my stat points in charisma is finally paying off.' He considered Dracula's proposal. 'If I accept him, I could use him to reduce the population of drunks and disco sluts in Cardopolis.' A Lord had to properly manage his population.
 
Hades suddenly spoke. 'Lord, these vampires are vile creatures. It would be best to wipe them all out.'
 
'...My last name isn't Hellsing. Why would I go through such trouble? Besides, haven't you heard that spiders are good for the house because they get rid of flies and insects? Vampires are the same. They hang out mostly at bars and clubs, eating annoying alcoholics and ravers. They're like neighborhood patrol.'
 
Hades was disappointed. His Lord might be fooled, but he wasn't. He knew Dracula and his type: dark, brooding, handsome, more handsome than him! Hades feared that this impaler of women would become his competition in the dating scene of Cardopolis.
 
Alex finally spoke. "Will you go on a killing spree in my inner world? I already have one killer clown. I need living humans to keep the economy going."
 
"No, Lord. As a General, I would no longer require the blood of humans to survive."
 
Alex made a decision. "I can offer you an unpaid internship." He knew how to make use of his bargaining power to get free labor.
 
Dracula felt this Lord's thought process was a little strange, but he had already made a decision. "...I'll work hard, Lord."
 
"Ok Blad."
 
"...Please call me Dracula, Lord."
 
Minutes later, Dracula was in the sky looking over his new home.
 
At this moment, Hades appeared a short distance away. His Helm in the catacombs had already dissipated some time ago, freeing him to roam Cardopolis. He had his arms out wide and his chest puffed out. He air-walked over to Dracula in huge strides, "Hey there cool guy..."
 
------------
Author's Note: Thanks for reading. If you like it, add to library!
4