Betrayed By Her Own Kin
1.6k 11 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chained with rusty iron locks, a tattered covered girl laid weakly near a corner of a dark room. The ground of the room was littered with withered grass and bits of hay. The walls were built of pure cement and granite bricks coated with a light layer of red mud. There was no opening to this room except a large door to the front of the child. Even so, the door was locked tightly with chains. A stench of death hung gravely in the air as sudden roaring laughter increasingly soared into her room.

The girl raised her head. Her tangled red hair covered her heart-broken eyes. Lines of blood bled considerably from a wound in her forehead. A line of blood could also be seen running from her lips to her neck as well as dark purple bruises lining up her legs. Hearing the laughter, the girl raced to the locked entrance and struck it with great energy. Her hands were soon bloodied, and the flesh was torn, yet not one person in the separate room looked over at her.

In grief, the girl lifted her eyes, and deep purple irises could be seen, furiously piercing at the source of laughter. How dare you. How DARE you even laugh! Yet not a noise came out from her mouth, only more blood rushed out her lips and her teeth gritted tightly.

Finally, from the center of the laughing group, a girl stepped out. She had flowing golden hair that sparkled along with penetrating green eyes — a cruel smile light up her face.

"Tsk, don't tell me you're actually mad about it. Who told you to be so stupid?" The girl exclaimed out. Her red lips moved slowly as her companions laughed.

The blonde girl beamed wider, "Now, now don't laugh at her. She's so pitiful, isn't she? Look at her eyes, oh, I think I actually feel bad."

Despite her words, her tone was condescendingly ridiculing. She leaned closer to the purple-eyed girl, "Do you want to say something? Oh, I forgot. You can't. We already cut off your tongue," The girl paused, "What can a sirenic halfling do without her tongue? Without your voice, you're only good as nothing at this point. You don't even have your gemstone, so you don't even have powers. Oh? Why the angry eyes?"

The green-eyed girl strode forward and planted a loud slap on the other girl's cheek, "Did you really think I was your friend? I'll tell you the truth, I just needed your birthstone."

The siren looked down, tears threatening to spill over the rims of her eyes. Why? Aren't you a mermaid? I gave you so much of my blood because you said you wanted legs. Aren't we also kins? Why would you dig out my birthstone? I helped you so much. So many questions repeated in her heart.

The blonde girl smirked at the siren's silence. She ran her finger through her own hair, the golden locks spilling over her shoulders, revealing a slightly bloodied translucent gemstone amid her brows. Her green eyes sparkled haughtily as she affectionately stroked the stolen gem. Her eyes narrowed at the sight of the siren gazing coldly at her.

She sighed.

"Since I'm kind, I'll allow you to kill yourself. I don't want to see your face by the time I come back, " She paused, catching the sight of Hongyue's eyes filled with hatred, "Did you trust me because I'm a mermaid? You're really foolish. I'll tell you the truth; no one likes your kind. Neither humans or sea creatures. Actually, since there isn't any more of your kind left, so let's just say no one likes you. Everyone detests you. You simply a monster. Don't compare yourself to me. You're just a mistake the gods created!"

The siren glanced down. Is it... is that so? Is that why everyone always used her. Dragged her fragile and delicate heart in the dirt for their own use yet condemning her anyway.

Why?

Why was it so unfair?

Wasn't it because they blamed her, she lowered her head to this extent?

Yet when she did, they laughed at her for being weak.

If nothing she did was right, then she'll force the law of the world to accept them as right!

The mermaid didn't even take another step away before the heads of her comrades exploded. The girl backed away in fear, her eyes wavering.

"Y-you... you're not supposed to have any powers without your birthstone... how?"

The muted siren didn't move, but a lazy smile made its way up her lips. Her cold eyes observed the other girl coldly.

While it was true a siren had no powers without her gemstone, she was also a halfling. Not to mention, her mother was a direct descendant of the God of Sea. How could a daughter of hers be limited by a single birthstone?

To have a birthstone, one had to be born with it, or it could be stolen. However, there was also another method, and that was to form it from the blood essence.

Linage birthstones and gemstones were quite different in one thing. Although both did store a lot of power of the wearer, linage birthstones were created by the baby themselves in the womb to maintain control of their abundance of power that roared within their body. The babies born with it would usually be the ones with exceptional amounts of potential. The gem would help the flow of energy and usually helped store magic so the user's body wouldn't be constantly wearied.

The gems were usually formed by the baby's first pure and clean blood drop, so it would also make sense that using blood essence would be the same equivalent.

The hole of the siren's forehead released a drop of dark red blood, and the air around her surged uncontrollably. Her eyes turned bright purple, and the blood hardened as it filled the vacant place of her stolen gemstone.

Seeing the mermaid in front of her shocked, Hongyue's eyes flashed.

If you didn't even know that much, why be so arrogant? Don't blame me for not telling.

She lifted her hand, and the clear gemstone on the mermaid's forehead shattered to pieces. The mermaid screamed in pain, the screams echoing in the dark room. However, just as quickly the cries started, it ended. Not a sound could be heard in the deathly quiet room.

Moments later, the door smashed open, and the siren calmly exited out.

However, soon, the siren staggered as her head throbbed. Purifying a drop of blood essence was no a simple task. She had held back because she believed perhaps, just perhaps the mermaid was joking with her. Maybe it was all another cruel joke. Once the joke was over, someone would hug her and tell her everything was fine — but no. How many cruel jokes could there be said? The world was too cruel.

She crushed the legs of the dead mermaid with her heel.

These legs aren't yours. You're not suited.

The siren gently rubbed her new gemstone. The new dark red appearance indicated she already blackened, but that was fine with her. If she lived only to die, she might as bring them all down with her.

Okay, that was the last chapter. What do you think? I'm also working on another novel that is more based on human emotion and love. It's called The Vow Of A Broken Heart. The summary is here: Daiyu, a senior martial sister of TainHua sect, deeply in love with her junior brother Guiren, has always put him before herself. After suffering heartbreak from him due to a massive misunderstanding schemed by two outsiders, Daiyu realizes his heart was not with her. Feeling discarded, she decides to leave the world in hopes of leaving behind her affections. 

With her head facing toward the moon as she dies, she vows.

"This life will end my affection for you. You'll be free. However, I only wish I never, never see you again. I never want to fall in love with you again.

Never again.

Never."

After her death, Guiren uncovers the truth and realizes his fault. Frantically trying to make up his mistake, he kills himself out of regret and ends up back in time to when the two were children.

Delighted for a second chance, he's crushed with the realization that Daiyu has also been reincarnated. Not only that, she doesn't seem to love or hate him.

More precisely, she no longer has a heart.
*****

I know I'm shameless. Hopefully, I reeled in your attention.

34