I’ll Follow You
1.4k 4 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Escorted toward an additional carriage, Hongyue hesitated before getting on. Tilting her head ever so slowly, she caught the greedy expression within the emperor's eyes as he gazed out to the bloody scene. Hiding a small smile, she raised her leg and hoisted herself on the carriage. Upon the transport, Hongyue's eyes scanned the interior of the carriage.

Oh~

He unquestionably put in considerable effort.

Hongyue reached her hands out and lightly stroked the golden silk curtains and velvet cushioned seats. Did the emperor intend to confine her under the guise of the luxurious and wealth?

Hongyue sighed.

Ah, how tempting.

Crossing her legs, she took a seat and gently patted the edge of her sleeve.

"Come out," Her voice remained faint, but her recipient immediately responded.

A small head emerged out from the sleeve, and it gently leaned its chin on her pale wrist. Hongyue tapped the head of the snake, and the little thing slithered out completely with slow movements, its dull eyes focused on her face. Hongyue stared back just as deeply. After a moment, she opened her mouth, "Even now, I don't know who you are. Seeing that you're this weak, there's no use following me beyond here. After all, you know what's going on, don't you, Qingyu? I'm placed in another scheme."

However, the little creature didn't even appear to hear her words as it snuggled closer to her lap, and its tail entwined itself tighter around her wrist.

Hongyue couldn't help a small smile curving on her lips.

Poking the head of the little thing, she commented teasingly, "Oh? I won't be able to help you after this. I only care about myself. Isn't it best you leave?"

-------

In the morning, when the loud chirping of the birds awoke the eldest miss, she went to her room to find Qingyu. However, rather than seeing him, she found a little black snake curled up upon the pillow.

Not sure what to make of it, Hongyue merely observed it for a minute. Noting the unusual hole near its throat, Hongyue discerned it was Qingyu.

Although surprised, she didn't care much for the recently changed appearance. She, herself, was a sirenic halfling, so this wasn't much to be concerned about. However, within her eyes, there was a peculiar emotion, and her expression softened upon realizing the snake was him.

Gently stretching out her fingers, Hongyue gingerly rubbed the top of its head.

"Qingyu."

It was the first name she uttered his name correctly without any added prefix.

It was a soft and honest vocalized communication.

She wasn't alone.

How strange that they were quite similar.

However, Qingyu was significantly taken aback by her touch. Shouldn't she have killed him by now? He was at his very weakest. Turning his head, he couldn't help his boiling heart of disordered emotions.

Didn't she know black snakes were a sign of pure evil? Didn't she how loathed he was? That he was a curse?

At that time, Qingyu had stepped in to block the second madam's attack because he saw so much of himself in Hongyue.

Her cold front. Her raised guard. Her distrust.

Why would she let herself get injured like that? She attacked him without any sign of mercy yet would allow herself to be hurt so badly just for a scheme.

Nonetheless, he felt like he already knew the answer.

She didn't love herself.

She was heartless even to herself.

Just like him.

It was just a connecting concept inside his head, but Qingyu perceived Hongyue differently from then on. So when she struck out at him, even with malicious intentions. He willingly accepted the attack.

He understood, and he was willing.

After he was knocked out, he was somewhat subconscious, fading in and out of sleep during his injured state. From his faint memories, he already knew that she was the one who healed him.

You're not such a heartless woman, after all.

----

The snake nuzzled its head onto Hongyue's fingers.

I won't leave.

I'll follow you.

A soft smile grew on the eldest miss's face, slowly lighting up her features. Did he really trust her that much?

She attempted to pull the tail of the snake off of her wrist when it hissed softly before it curled the end of its tail tighter around her arm and nudged the tip of its nose against her fingers.

Hongyue let out a sigh.

What to say?

She wasn't going to the palace alone.

"Since you're not a pig, I can't call you dumb pig anymore. It's too unfitting. Seeing that you have beautiful shiny scales, I should choose something fitting, right?"

The snake gently nodded before coming closer around her arm.

"Dumb snake."

How was that anything different?!!!

Take back all the good things he said about her!

*********

As the ride continued, Hongyue gazed out the window, her eyes locked on her surroundings. Her chin was balanced on her left hand as she mused. Qingyu was nestled within her lap, his head on her right knee.

Going to the palace was going to be a risky move, but it was better to make the first move instead of being a sitting prey. While she didn't know what exact motive the emperor had for her, she knew it had something to do with her bloodline and its properties. Seeing that he already seemed to believe she didn't have any power, she would have to keep it that way.

As for the trap... anyone could be a suspect. The ministers. The wives. People from the banquet. In fact, it didn't have to be just them. Even a loud whisper could result in someone scheming for her death.

Nonetheless, the Crown Prince seemed to stand out the most in her mind.

Out of everyone, he had given her a slightly strange vibe that night, and his purpose was unclear. Why did he want to marry her hand so much? If Jiayi and even the emperor knew that she had no powers, why would a prince climbing to power marry someone with no power?

Ah, wait.

It could also be a font of using her as a shield. If the Crown Prince used someone useless as his partner, wouldn't his competitors underestimate him?

However, there could also be another possibility; he knew she would be unwanted and swooped in to claim her before others changed their minds.

All for her blood?

Was it worth it?

Was there another secret on her body?

However, then, there was also the Dragon's Glory.

Were the two connected?

How do you guys like the development?

29