Want To Tell A Story
1.3k 20 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Is it good?"

Hongyue glanced up to meet the emperor's eyes. She gave a moderate nod, and the emperor looked satisfied with her answer. Turning her attention back to the food, Hongyue resumed eating with delight. Or so it appeared because the more the eldest miss ate, the more the food tasted salty. The aftertaste felt unusual, and it was like a film covering her tongue. However, Hongyue proceeded to chew nonchalantly, taking her time and disregarding the curious analyzing eyes around her.

Her dark eyes floated to the silver utensils provided for her use. Seeing them, she knew whatever strange concoction used in her food— cannot have been poison. In truth, she doubted anyone would try to risk killing her so directly at this stage.

The stupid eldest miss has already arrived at the palace along with the emperor. Killing her now would be too late and only gain the perpetrator with an unwanted spotlight. Moreover, the emperor seemed keen on keeping her alive. Whatever was in the food was probably a set up to test her. However, Hongyue wasn't clear on what the result was wanted from the schemer as the food didn't appear to have any direct effect on her body. With the watchful eyes from the emperor on her, she could only continue to eat.

If she was going to play, why play on an empty stomach?

Reaching over to her bowl of soup, she dipped her spoon into the thin broth. From the outer curve of her spoon, Hongyue discreetly tilted the utensil at an angle. Glancing at the clear silver spoon's surface, she could observe the empress's darkening face.

Odd.

While the empress seemed to hold great importance on the bloody dagger, she gave no indication that she had any part in the plan to kill her. The gathering of the ministers and high court ladies was likely a ploy to degrade the eldest miss created by the empress. That alone told her, the empress was expecting her to appear— and this tampering with her food must be her doing.

Nonetheless, there was already more than one player in this chess game with different motives and intentions.

—the empress could also be a pawn.

Hongyue sighed.

Should she stay low first or cause a commotion to get all the perpetrators out of the shadows?

On the empress's armrest, a series of light clickings of golden fingernails could be heard. Finally, not being able to hold back her curiosity, the empress couldn't help asking, "Is the pork good?"

Hongyue paused before she glanced up and licked her lips, "No. It tastes funny."

"Oh, it tastes funny?" It tastes funny?! The damned girl was eating so much, and now she claimed it tasted funny! Why don't you stop eating first before saying that? The empress hovered her fan thoughtfully over her face before ridiculing loudly, "Have you ever tasted pork meat from the palace before? How could it taste funny?"

Her implication was clear that the eldest miss was too dumb to know what was good for her. How could the food from the palace taste funny? This eldest miss must never have eaten good food in the general's manor.

Hongyue stopped and openly pouted. She plucked up her chopsticks and blandly stirred the top layer of meat on the platter. Slowly picking up the meat, she gave it another sniff. Moving the morsel into her mouth, Hongyue chewed carefully before placing her chopsticks down on the wooden table. Her simple gesture seemed to irritate the empress's eyes, making the woman frown deeply.

"Hongyue honestly had never tasted anything from the palace before. However, Hongyue has eaten pork meat before, but this pork tastes very funny. It's so salty," Hongyue wrinkled her nose, and the emperor laughed.

'Salty?" The emperor asked. His tone was playful, and Hongyue narrowed her eyes. She pushed the rest of her meal away from her.

She asked childishly, "Your majesty, when are we going to play?"

Play? When did the emperor even have time to play? The surrounding ministers and even the court ladies couldn't help hiding a condescending smirk. This eldest miss really lived up to her rumors. She was nothing but an airhead, stupid idiot. It really makes people laugh.

So what if she had her dead mother protecting her? The girl will probably just walk blindly into death by herself without any help.

However, Jiayi froze, hearing her words. Play? Play in what way? He knew very clearly Hongyue's play was very different from what others were thinking of. Sitting taller, he tried to keep calm and laughed, "What does the Eldest Miss want to play?"

Hongyue turned to the third prince with a bright smile, "A simple game really—storytelling!"

Telling stories? The Empress finally couldn't hide the degrading gaze she held in her eyes. How stupid! In the Palace Hall, this little normal wanted to play the role of a storyteller, and she wanted everyone to listen to her? How ridiculous! Who had the time to listen to the stories of a stupid nobody? What did she think she was?

The Wei Family might humor the foolish girl. But she, the Empress, could not.

"Oh? What stories do you have to share?" The Empress drawled out her words arrogantly.

Hongyue smiled, "If I end up telling an interesting story, will you reward me?"

What story do you think she'll tell? Even better, what prize does she want?

28