Simply Just Watch
1.3k 7 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hongyue gasped in delight at the Empress's generous offer. The eldest miss's face was slightly flushed, and her eyes sparkled. She looked like a child receiving her present, completely elated.
She set the spoon in her hand down with a loud clank, and she stood up at once.

Meanwhile, many of the ministers and court ladies were baffled by the sudden change in treatment. The girl they were once laughing at suddenly shot up in favor, this left a bitter taste in their mouths. Nevertheless, some of the more senior court ladies merely kept their heads down as if they knew of what would happen.

The eldest miss's feet made its way quickly toward the direction of the empress. As Hongyue walked, she passed where the third prince was sitting. Just as the sleeve of her robe happened to brush by Jiayi's chair, her right wrist was suddenly gripped tightly by iron-like fingers.

Hongyue's feet stopped.

Jiayi's right hand had long abandoned fiddling with his teacup and was now on her wrist. His left hand was tightly clutching the armrest of his wooden chair. His hair had somewhat covered his eyes, and no one could read what he was thinking about.

Finally, he looked up, and Jiayi gave a forced smile to the empress. The empress narrowed her eyes. Why did he interfere? When did he become so bold?

"This prince thinks it's unfair for Hongyue to receive a gift. After all, it's probably a reused story she was probably told. It is unworthy to be praised," Jiayi voiced dryly.

Hongyue clicked her tongue.

Nonsense.

She made the story by herself. What reused story? She purposely took the time to create it. Her eyes studied his face. Was this his way of trying to shield her? This wasn't the time.

Hongyue gave a short giggle, "Third Prince, you're mistaken. This miss is too stupid to memorize stories told to me by others. This story is from a dream I had last night. Although I couldn't remember the full details, I made it up as I went."

After her words left her lips, she could feel his fingers tightening painfully around her wrist. Hongyue's eyes turned dark. Was he this afraid of her going up against the empress? She wouldn't have known if not for his increasing strength on her wrist. She flipped her hand with her sleeve and pinched his arm, leaving the pale surface with a dark bruise. Just because Jiayi couldn't go against the Empress, doesn't mean she, Hongyue, was backing down!

Jiayi's fingers didn't loosen. Instead, they squeezed harder, and Jiayi's eyes darkened. Out of the times she chose to be playful, she chose this time.

She really couldn't afford to upset the empress. From her seat, the empress cupped the side of her face with her left hand, her fingers set against her jaw gracefully, "Since the eldest miss said she was the one who made out the story, then it's only right she gets a reward for her hard work. Why are you blocking her? Do you, perhaps, not like the eldest miss? That's no good. Be more accepting of normals."

Jiayi's eyes darkened. This calculating woman!

With the Empress's words, the emperor looked at Jiayi with disapproval. The third prince could only let go of her hand. Nonetheless, he stared stiffly at the carefree Hongyue who walked past him. Hongyue tilted her head up and gave the empress a bright smile, one so pure the empress couldn't seem to find the strength in herself to muster one back.

This eldest miss was genuinely irritating.

The empress gently removed one of her earrings, her fingers moving carefully and delicately.

The string of green was captivating to the eyes but cold to the soul.

Hongyue reached out her hand to receive it when the earring seemed to slip past her fingers, dropping to the ground. Although it shouldn't have been a problem for Hongyue to catch the falling jewelry, Hongyue made no effort to move. Her eyes merely lazily followed the falling jewel and watched the string of green shatter into pieces. The Empress looked shocked, she didn't think Hongyue was going to ignore the falling jewelry like that.

Jiayi stood still. He was just as surprised at how easy it was for Hongyue to dodge the first trap like that. It was so simple, it slipped his mind.

"Well," Hongyue pushed out her hands again, "Where's my prize?"

Where was her prize?

Where was her prize?!

Did the eldest miss not see the shattered jade on the floor?

Such an ability to be so bold! Truly admirable!

However, the empress looked lost. Her eyes were focused on the broken earring. Hongyue waited patiently, her hands still outstretched. However, she couldn't help holding back a laugh.

There was the thin sheen of grease of the earring, but it wasn't invisible. While it may be hard for someone else keeping hold of it after catching it, Hongyue wouldn't have any issues. It was just, how to say it—she simply didn't want to try.

So why not just watch it fall.

The jade shattering could not be too different from the Empress's heart right now.

I've always seen scenes where an upper court lady, empress or concubine will use this common scheme to punish someone so here is HY's reaction to the scheme.

Lol, Hongyue just doesn't give a *poop* about it.

*It seems simple, but as you know me. There's more to it

32