It’s For Your Sake
963 7 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Such melancholy thoughts pulled her roaring emotions to a halt as Lan'er started to recollect her thoughts. Her father felt insecure with her, so there would be no chance he would suddenly allow her to come back so quickly unless he wanted something from her. She lived with him for so many years. How could she not know his heart? Did something happen on his side that forced him to use her as a resort?

Her eyes widened.

Hongyue.

Did something— No. What happened to her sister?

"Leave. You're dismissed. I don't need your help," Lan'er commanded.

However, the servants didn't move even after hearing her. One of the maids mildly swayed her head, "Master said he wanted to see you later. Third Miss, it'll be unsightly for you to go see him with just this."

Third Miss.

Since they knew to call her Third Miss, why didn't they even regard her orders?

Nevertheless, Lan'er knew, her title of the Third Miss was oddly equivalent to Hongyue's title of the Eldest Miss. It was nothing. If General Wei wanted to rid of her, he could, because in reality, her words held no actual weight.

The two sisters were oddly similar.

Lan'er dropped her head and allowed the maids to change her dress and her hairpins. Her eyes returned to their untroubled state, and she lowered her head slightly.

She looked like the docile third miss of the Wei Manor.

After they made Lan'er more presentable, they ushered her to be seated in the garden. As she idled, she took a sip of tea. The flavor was without the presence of sugar, but it carried a tangible sweetness. The fresh aroma seemed to wake up her mind, and she prepared herself for the appearance of her father. Looking toward the entrance, she detected the general entering the garden. Quickly getting up, she produced her greeting in a soft voice, "Father."

General Wei nodded and motioned for her to sit. He also took a seat. His eyes descended on her face, and he opened his mouth, "Lan'er, have you self-reflected within the time you were transferred away?"

Lan'er gave a tender smile in response, "This daughter has considered her choices. Thank you, father, for the chance to better this daughter."

The general nodded, his eyes shifted to the cup of tea within his hand. Taking a leisurely sip, he pushed out his true intentions, "Then you will be taking the spot of the Crown Prince's consort."

Lan'er felt her smile stiffing in place; her heart was unwilling. She didn't want to steal anything else from her sister. With another sweet smile on her face, Lan'er played helpless, "Father, this daughter needs more time."

At her words, the general looked up. His eyes were deep, and his mouth tightened as he started to talk, "There isn't any more time. Hongyue has been called into the palace for a week now. Don't you understand what this means?" The general's eyes turned grim, "Lan'er, I've already had the doctor check Hongyue's blood. It's already contaminated with poison. It's no longer pure, and the Emperor wouldn't be able to use her. You can take the spot."

He waited for her answer, but Lan'er was stuck in her own little world. What? Contaminated? Wouldn't she be dead....but wasn't Hongyue still alive?

Unable to keep her posture, Lan'er asked, "Father, how could a living person have contaminated blood with poison?"

The general looked thoughtful as he began to recall the words of the doctor, "I thought it was ominous as well, but the doctor said it was possible. After all, Hongyue contains two types of poison in her body currently. As long as they continue battling each other out in her body, she will stay alive."

Lan'er felt her heart stand still. Her father's words were like a curse. Hongyue must already be in so much pain.

However, the truth was far from it.

Hongyue already had three types of poison in her blood, and her powers were currently enough to suppress them. Not only that, she was able to control the movement of the poison in her blood, so although the blood she gave was contaminated, it was not the same inside her body. Unlike how Lan'er feared for her sister, Hongyue was perfectly fine.

Clutching tightly to the fabric of her dress, Lan'er gave a weak smile. Since her father was moving along with his plans so quickly, she could only oblige, "Can this daughter request one thing from father?"

The general frowned. Didn't he always give Lan'er whatever she wanted? What else could she want now?

"What request do you have in mind?"

Lan'er paused, her thoughts echoing inside her mind, "If this daughter completes this task, will you allow Hongyue to live with me in the future?"

Seeing her father furrow his eyebrows, Lan'er hurried with her words, "Hongyue already doesn't have a mother. She's too simple, and she can't fend for herself. Lan'er wants a toy to play with."

If Lan'er were able to complete this task, Hongyue would no longer be any threat to him, and the Emperor wouldn't be able to use Hongyue. Thinking back to how Hongyue was of no value and couldn't do any harm, the general acknowledged Lan'er with a soft tap of his knuckles, "If you complete this task usefully."

Lan'er lowered her head.

This was her only chance at keeping her sister by her side and protecting her. Of course, she would have to take it.

Hongyue, please forgive me.

Your sister isn't doing this on purpose.

I'll find a better husband for you in the future, but for now, it's for your sake.

3/5 Mass Release

Oh, my-my, how will this end?

23