A Growing Headache
1.4k 15 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Back at the palace, there was a different scene. Hongyue was propped up against a pillow. Her weak hands cupped a bowl of bitter medicine, and she crinkled her nose. Setting aside the medicine, she made a show of not wanting to drink it due to the bitterness. Hongyue pouted and peered up. Her eyes caught the studying eyes of the Emperor, and she lifted the medicine to her lips again.

"Is it too bitter?"

Hongyue nearly wanted to sneer. He really appeared like a good person if she hadn't known his real heart. Looking up with doe-like eyes, she nodded.

"I don't like it. It's much too bitter. Must I drink it?" She whined.

Giving a hearty laugh, the Emperor reached out to seize the medicine and arranged it aside.

"If you don't wish to, I won't force you," He assured. Hongyue wanted to laugh. Of course, he wouldn't. Why would he?

"Okay," She cheerfully responded and delivered a sweet smile.

The Emperor paused, "You are already 16, is that correct?"

Hongyue looked up and nodded, "10 plus 5, hm, yes, 16."

The Emperor's brow furrowed but he didn't bother to correct her, "Shouldn't you be in the magic academy?"

Hongyue paused. There was a memory about this magic academy but since she had no drop of power, the idea of assigning her to the academy was pointless. Other than understanding it was a training school for people with magic, it had never been something Hongyue thought was important. However, now that he mentioned it, Hongyue was interested. If she took some time to understand the concept of this world's magic, breaking it down and fighting against it would be more than useful for her.

However, it seemed like the Emperor wanted to send her there for a separate reason. As someone who knows that she was useless in magic, asking the question was presumably meant to entice her. Nonetheless, she didn't understand the reason why.

Pouting, Hongyue swayed her head, "Hongyue stays home all day. Father doesn't let me out."

The Emperor responded, "Do you want to go?"

Hongyue's eyes gleamed happily, but quickly she became disheartened, "But this miss has no magic, and I'm too stupid. They probably won't let me in."

Patting her back and giving her a gentle smile, the Emperor assured her, "I can get you in."

Hongyue looked shocked, "You can?!! How nice! I want to go...but I'm useless. What will I do there?"

The patting paused before his voice started to explain, "We don't know who tried to hurt you last time, so it's still not safe. However, the magic academy has a special barrier. Wouldn't you feel protected there? You can also meet many more people."

Hongyue tilted her head, "But what about here? Can't I just stay here?"

The Emperor gave her a small smile, "Do you want to?"

Hongyue frowned, "Well, it isn't exactly exciting to be here."

Ignoring her comment, the Emperor agreed, "Why don't you go then? It'll be a good experience. You'll have to come back here every 2 weeks to check up your health anyway. Only the palace has the herbs you need to nurse your body back to health."

Hongyue lowered her eyes as if she was deciding on the choices. She wasn't sure before, but now she was certain.

To send someone with not an ounce of magic into the magic academy, wasn't he just sending a sheep into a pack of wolves? She was bound to be bullied and shoved around. The daily torment was likely to give her a trauma of going into the outside world. He was forcing her to be the one to choose the palace instead of directly locking her up. After all, with her own father trapping her within his walls, and the growing idea that everyone loathed her, the rational choice was to run into the arms of the Emperor.

The sensible choice, of course.

But when did she ever play the game by the rules?

"Okay. I'll go then. I might not have magic, but I can communicate with spirits so I'll be able to make a lot of friends."

The emperor gave her a strange look, "You can?"

Hongyue beamed proudly, "Yes, I can. I'll tell you a secret. See that guy over there?"

The Emperor glanced over to the servant she pointed at and nodded. His heart awaited for something ground-breaking when he heard a simple 'He's fat.'

"What?" Did he hear something wrong?

"He's fat."

The Emperor didn't know if he was to laugh or be angry. How could the servant not be fat? With rolls of flesh pushing against the walls of his blue garments, who couldn't tell that the servant was fat with their own two eyes? Who needed a spirit to tell them?

"That's it?"

Hongyue shook her head. She appeared to be solemn as she uttered her next words, "It means he eats a lot."

The Emperor could feel a headache coming on while the servant in the blue garments paled. The servant tried to tuck in his stomach but simply couldn't. He really wanted to cry for being targeted by the eldest miss.

Finally, the Emperor spoke, "He's the food tester."

"Ohhhh. So I'm right. See, I can talk to ghosts."

The Emperor held his head, it was a mistake to even think she was capable of anything.

Did she not notice the food tester always eating a portion of her food to test it?!!

5/5 Mass Release

Fufu~ If only if headaches could kill

Thank you for the coffee. I went back and realized I never gave thanks to my coffee gifters. It was impolite of me. Special thanks to KeroroGunso and two anonymous supporters. It's late but I'm really happy to have received your support

28