Step By Step
599 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hongyue's eyes lowered as she began to sink into her thoughts. Even if she longed for such a position, her heart would never allow it easily.

The balance of trust was already skewed.

Although this third sister of hers seemed to genuinely care for her, the fact that she was still the general's daughter would remain all the same.

General Wei was not a trusting man.

If he was able to kill off his own fourth concubine without pity, why wouldn't he do the same to any other of his confidants? Or even better, why not any of his children?

Not to mention, after Concubine Mei went crazy and her father, Minister Hui, went against the general, the first person, General Wei, should have retaliated against should have been this third daughter of his.

But the third miss was left unharmed, unbothered. As if the general knew this daughter of his could do no wrong.

What gave him that confidence?

Hongyue frowned.

If she were to compare, the amount of trust was not just merely unsettling. If Hongyue had to create more than one elaborate scheme to gain only a fragment of General Wei's faith in her, this Lan'er...

How dangerous.

She clicked her tongue.

After all, the roses that contained the <Eternal Death> weren't something that would give away its nectar to just anyone.

Hongyue paused, her right hand gently touching a spot on her left arm. After the fire incident, rumors were circulating around from inner servants that the empress was punished and lost favor from the emperor.

While the exact reasons weren't known for her punishment, Hongyue knew it was related to the spies in the garden.

It seemed like the emperor wasn't a clueless man; instead, he was a talented player of the game.

How could inner servants of a royal palace be allowed to run their mouths however they pleased?

One wrong word could be heard by the emperor, and they could all be beheaded. That is unless the emperor himself wanted the rumors to run wildly as such.

But for the emperor to allow such a thing... could it be that he was trying to protect the empress?

Rumors were merely rumors, but sometimes they gave hope to a specific determined audience. That false hope gave more possibility for a wrongful action being made.

Hongyue's hand paused.

More questions that she simply couldn't get the answers to yet.

Just who wanted her dead, and who wanted her alive?

Where did those trained normals come from?

Why could they cancel power?

Who was this crow?

Most importantly, just how many?

Nevertheless, even if she was confused, her position seemed to have been secured. The emperor didn't want the eldest miss to die. Therefore the eldest miss will not die.

At least not yet.

Hongyue shifted her weight to allow her legs to move to the side of the bed.

There was another dilemma.

Two nights after the incident of the fire, her little pet pig returned to her in a strange matter. With dull white eyes, Qingyu seemed to be entirely unresponsive and only liked to sleep, whether it be day or night. Curled up around her left arm, Qingyu had been motionless like a stone for the entire week.

Seeing this, Hongyue was alarmed.

However, despite so, she could only wait.

"Yu'er."

A light voice entered the spacious room, along with its happy owner. The wooden door opened with a soundless welcoming as the outside breeze pushed its way into the room, wiping clean of the bitter medicine smell that was in the place.

Lan'er smiled brightly as she gently stepped over the doorsteps. Her sleeves wafted slightly with the breeze, and her eyes immediately landed on her eldest sister.

Hongyue was resting on a glorious gold plated bed. However, the blankets and pillows were disorderly, unlike the aristocratic atmosphere the room gave off.

The girl's legs were on the edge of the bed and were kicking sulkily when she suddenly looked up in response to her name. Her eyes were somewhat dull as if she was unfamiliar with the arrival with the third miss.

"Third Sister?"

Lan'er faltered for a second before she smiled kindly and walked over.

"Yu'er, it can't be that only after some time from not seeing me, you forgot about me? You don't seem to welcome me."

Her words were thrown out jokingly, and she took a seat near Hongyue. Lan'er reached out to touch Hongyue's hair. However, Hongyue didn't seem to hold any interest in talking to Lan'er as she brushed aside her third sister's hand.

"Why is third sister here?"

Lan'er frowned.

Why did Hongyue ask such an answer?

It had only been a week, or so, yet Hongyue didn't seem to trust her anymore. Could it be that the emperor said something? Was this what her father was afraid of?

Hongyue frowned, "Why is third sister here today?"

The thing I'm currently worried about the most has to be the plot as I was gone for so long many readers must have forgotten it by now. I will try my best to add little recaps if I can.

If you have the time to reread, please do~

Thank you all for all the kind words.

15