Bitter Medicine
557 8 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lan'er was stuck for answers.

Her elder sister's question seemed to be asking for something, but she wasn't sure exactly what.

Lan'er was here on her father's order as well as on her own will. Could it be that Hongyue wanted to hear news about the general? It could be possible, after all, Hongyue only knew the kind side of General Wei, and the general did play the role of a doting father.

Perhaps, staying a whole week in a place that was unfamiliar from home caused Hongyue to be homesick. However, Lan'er was a bit unwilling to say any kind words about her father to her sister. Her father asked her to pick up her sister, not out of kindness. Rather, it was for his own reassurance. But if Hongyue wanted to hear them...

"Father was worried sick for you. He sent me to check up on your health."

Hongyue didn't show any excitement upon hearing those words. Her eyes just bore intensely on Lan'er as if she was trying to read this sister of hers. A moment after, there was a quiet 'oh' that came from Hongyue.

Lan'er was flustered.

Perhaps those weren't the right words Hongyue wanted to hear. Maybe...

"I was worried as well."

To this, Hongyue tilted her head as if in question, "You? Worried?"

Lan'er felt confused. Her thoughts were jumbled as she tried to come up for an answer. But how was she supposed to answer? Because I am your sister? Because I was?

Hongyue lowered her head and didn't seem to pay any more attention to her third sister. After all, she got the answer she was looking for. While Lan'er couldn't vocally produce the response, her eyes already gave it away. Anyone who couldn't see it would be a fool.

Guilt.

It was deep bitter guilt and a hint of remorse.

The kind where it was slowly built on bit by bit and left in an endless wish to be resolved but never did.

So it was left to grow and eat away in its vacant home of a heart.

Hongyue didn't want to see it.

After all, when Lan'er looked at her, it wasn't directed at her. Instead, it was through her. As though, Lan'er saw something else within the reflection of herself in Hongyue's eyes.

If that was the case, then Hongyue didn't want any of it.

It wasn't for her... it was for the one that already left.

Hongyue lowered her head and directed her attention at her feet.

The palace had all the medical resources to give care for her health from the fire that had taken place, ones that even the general's manor couldn't provide. She was invited there as a guest on a golden carriage and gentle care from the emperor. There was food to eat, clothes to wear, and a bed to sleep in. In truth, if that was how it played out, then there wouldn't be any need to worry.

Yet, the general worried.

Hongyue sneered.

Worried that his dear little puppet might get snatched.

Hongyue took a deep breath and lifted her head with a bright smile. Her eyes twinkled in excitement.

"Why? There's yummy food to eat. There are toys to play. Hongyue is treated well. Why worry?"

Lan'er cringed at Hongyue's simple childish answer.

Yes.

The palace had everything. However, it included hidden dangers.

To someone who didn't know better, Lan'er had nothing to say. Hongyue wouldn't understand and she would be wasting her words.

Lan'er took a careful look at Hongyue.

She had always wanted to visit her eldest sister for so long, but her father had forbidden it continuously. Yet, now that she was here, she couldn't say anything other than simple words that didn't mean much.

"Hongyue... how are you?"

The third miss could only muster out a question to an answer she already knew. Hongyue was just in front of her. How could she not see how Hongyue was?

Nevertheless, Hongyue smiled boldly.

"Hm. You know everything is great, but I don't like drinking the medicine. It's so bitter."

Lan'er couldn't help but sneak a tiny smile. Of course, it was bitter. How could it not be?

However, Hongyue's next words caused her sister's growing smile to freeze in place.

"Good thing I don't have to take it often."

"What?"

"I don't have to take it often."

Hongyue repeated her words as if the subject held no importance to her, but it greatly alarmed Lan'er.

"You, when did you last taken it?"

"Oh, just before you came."

"How often?"

"Eh, I don't keep count. Why does Sister Lan want to know?"

"Yu'er, please tell me. It's essential."

Hongyue paused as if in thought, "Then the day before yesterday, and maybe another time before that. What's wrong?"

"Does the emperor treat you well?"

"Of course, I can have everything I want."

Everything but the control of her life.

15