A Request For Help 1
614 5 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hongyue carefully examined her second sister, who was standing tensely in front of her.

Slowly dropping her hand from ChunHua's sleeve, she slid her finger along the seemingly empty air.

It was a simple action that didn't appear to add up to much. Nevertheless, ChunHua stiffened on the spot, and her eyes swelled in fear.

ChunHua opened her mouth and closed it soundlessly. There was a stinging sensation radiating up from her throat to scream out for her life.

Dreadfully stuck in place, ChunHua was terrified. She could feel a slight tightness on her neck.

For a whole week, she was safe from this feeling, and yet now it was back again. While she knew the current Hongyue was ruthless, she didn't think Hongyue would do anything in front of her third sister. Lan'er was always so protective when it came to Hongyue; ChunHua had thought it was due to the fact Lan'er didn't know of Hongyue's prowess. Furthermore, Hongyue appeared like she was hiding it on purpose. Whatever the reason was, ChunHua had underestimated Hongyue.

No.

She really didn't want to die. Not in this manner, not when she wasn't even given a chance. Perhaps, Hongyue was just trying to scare her. Taking a shaking breath, she decided to muster out her courage the best she could.

"I... I came to see you."

Hongyue didn't answer.

Clearly, this pathetic second sister of hers was full of desperation. The constant darting eyes that flickered from Lan'er back to Hongyue's face along with the unsteady breathing that did nothing to help.

But there was something else— something far more interesting.

Hongyue studied ChunHua's facial expression for another short moment before she casually took a step back. Something must have occurred at home to prompt this new change. ChunHua's life and death were controlled by a single thread. After seeing what already happened to her own mother, ChunHua should know that with just a little twist of a careless hand, she could fall lifelessly to the ground. Despite so, ChunHua would risk her life running to her potential killer?

The only reason Hongyue could think of— was that there was something back at the manor even frightening than her.

Naturally, Hongyue would need to look deeper into it. However, this wasn't the most suitable time.

She glanced to the side.

Especially with Lan'er, who stood a few feet behind, oblivious of the strange tension between the two sisters.

"Oh~ Then I'm so happy that you came~."

With a lively thanks, Hongyue smiled brightly as ChunHua let out a shaky breath.

She was still breathing.

Thank god Hongyue didn't sense the need to kill her.

She must have worked up all the luck in her life for this moment.

However, unknown to ChunHua, it wasn't luck. Rather it was because Hongyue had detected someone heading toward the direction of her courtyard.

There were always little to no visitors to her residency as the emperor kept such a close grasp on her.

Since there were no visitors all this time, this new person must be coming for one of her sisters as it was the only difference that occurred in her courtyard.

Hongyue frowned, this development had nothing to do with her.

Hongyue pretended to be ignorant of the incoming intruder as she decided to pluck another white rose and toyed with it in her hands. Humming loudly, she waved the flower around. Lan'er opened her mouth to warn Hongyue of the thorns when she was suddenly cut off.

"Third Miss Lady Lan'er."

A charmingly dressed maid strutted into the courtyard with both quick and careful steps. A soft clicking of her shoes could be heard reverberating through the yard with each step on the stone walkway. The maid wore delicate pink garments, and on her hair, there were a few silver hairpins.

"Third miss, Noble Concubine Chang has requested your presence for a cup of tea-," Entering from around the corner, the maid abruptly paused her next words as she caught sight of ChunHua. The recent report only mentioned the arrival of General Wei's third daughter but not the second. She was only sent here by her lady to invite the third miss to a cup of tea. After all, who didn't know the third miss was proficient in magic. Her lady wanted to judge this third miss with her own eyes. However, the second miss was distinguished to be quite haughty but not as relevant. What to do? To not invite ChunHua wouldn't look good on her lady, but there was also no need to invite ChunHua.

Meanwhile, Lan'er bit her lip.

Noble Concubine Chang?

It wasn't a surprise as she had always done well to increase ties with the aristocratic class. Having a cup of tea was probably an excuse for this Noble Concubine Chang to chat and test her out. Many of the upper-class women loved to do so to see if she was someone they desire to pull to their side.

Lan'er couldn't refuse this offer, but she didn't like the timing. If she left, only ChunHua would be left behind with Hongyue. What if ChunHua tried to do something? Nevertheless, she gave a simple nod.

While she was immersed in thought with herself, the maid turned to address ChunHua, "Oh my, Lady ChunHua is here as well. My lady, Noble Concubine Chang, was not informed of your arrival."

ChunHua gave a weak smile, "It is alright."

"Please excuse my rudeness, I will go back and inform my lady-"

ChunHua blinked. Wasn't this the perfect timing to talk to Hongyue alone?

"No! I mean, there is no need. I came to accompany my sister."

"Your sister? Oh," There was a silent pause from the female attendant as she wasn't able to hide her disdain for the wild girl running around and swinging a rose about like a monkey. Having the second miss not join wasn't an issue at all. Satisfied, she turned to Lan'er.

"Then, would Lady Lan'er please follow me?"

As Lan'er followed the maid out, she gave the most penetrating yet menacing glare to ChunHua, "Second sister, behave yourself. If there is any problem that I have to report anything to Father, I might as well use my own fists."

After the two left, ChunHua lowered her head.

"Elder sister."

Her voice was soft and honeyed.

Hongyue chuckled coldly as her eyes gleamed with a frigid light, "Elder sister? Please don't. I'm not used to receiving such generous words from you. You never called me that before, so there's no need to start now."

ChunHua's fingers curled into a tight ball as she started again with a persuasive tongue, "Elder sister, this younger sister has been..." She paused, "I've been genuinely wrong."

Wrong?

She knew she was wrong?

Hongyue couldn't help but take another glimpse at her second sister. Now she was convinced that something had happened back at home within the general's manor. Was ChunHua this afraid because of what Hongyue did to her mother or perhaps— something that scheming father of hers did to push ChunHua to this extent?

Even when Hongyue had nearly killed ChunHua, she never heard this contemptuous second sister of hers admit to anything. Yet now, the girl was so wantonly throwing away her pride.

Oh my, what a change.

How interesting.

"Hongyue, I know that I'm probably the last person you will reach your hand out to help, but please, I'm begging you. I need you to help me. I admit I was wrong in the past. I shouldn't have worked to harm you. But-"

"Help you? Second sister must be telling a joke."

"Hongyue, I'm not," ChunHua felt herself submerged in a growing cloud of frustration. This was her only chance to save herself if she wanted to continue to survive. Her mother held no value for the general now. Compared to her talented third sister, she was only going to be a burden on the general. Being a burden would only lead to a short life. However, Hongyue was capable. This person could change it all.

"Hongyue... you want to find liberation from this body, don't you? I can assist you. You won't have to be a revengeful spirit anymore."

Hongyue smiled coldly, "Oh?"

Sorry, this author is late! A lot of exterior forces at play. Speaking of which, I hope everyone is safe and healthy. Be alert and make sure to sanitize frequently but don't panic. Stay safe!

14