Not a Hero
10.9k 16 156
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I can’t believe it. This flash of light, the feeling of weightlessness. It was almost like a dream, but it really was happening to me. I’m being summoned to another world!

I wonder what I’ll do when I get there? Hopefully not something that involves instant action. Wouldn’t want to die the moment I got there, that would be awkward.

Sorry, I’m getting ahead of myself. It’s just that being some random guy on earth. Well, what are the chances? Right now, I just need to stay calm, because my life’s about to get flipped upside down.

As soon as I gathered my resolve, it appeared that the universe knew I was ready. The blinding light faded away slowly and right in front of me, was a very white girl.

And when I say white, I mean it. As in her clothes are mostly white, with purple accents lining all the way down to her skirt. That hair of hers was also pure white, but she didn’t appear old. If anything, she looked younger than me. That’s what I can gather, judging by that pale fair skin she has.

As odd as she might’ve looked on earth, I have to keep in mind that I’m not there anymore. No matter how weird things get, I need to stay level, or else things will end pretty badly, to say the least.

“It worked.” The girl muttered to herself. She seemed intently focused on me, probably because of whatever spell she used required it. Once the smoke cleared up, she came closer to me, inspecting me.

“Uh, hello?” I’m not sure of what to do or say in this situation. Seeing as I could understand what she just said, it seems that we speak the same language. Not really sure how that works, but I’m not going to complain.

“What is your name?” She asked me.

“Alan.” I answered honestly. From the looks of it, she didn’t seem villainous. Plus, I’m not exactly in a position to swindle anyone. “And your name is?”

“I’m the o-one asking questions h-here.” She responded rather negatively to my simple question. Not only that, but she’s pretty nervous about it too. This girl’s probably worried I might end up being a threat. I know that’s not the case, but it made sense from her point-of-view.

“Sorry.” I made sure to keep my voice down, to prevent her from getting too jumpy. After all, if she was able to summon me here, that girl definitely has some magical skills that would spell my doom.

“Right.” She closed her eyes, breathing a sigh of relief. “Anyway my name is Saffron.” I just looked at her in disappointment. She really just scolded me for asking her name, when she just gave it out like nothing. “I’m sure you’ve got a lot of questions for me.” She started, which only got me going.

“You know I do.” I cut her off, too excited to care about being impolite. “So, who’s causing this world’s problems.” I rolled my sleeves up, ready for action. I heard about these in plenty of novels, manga, and anime. While I definitely never expected it to happen in real life, there’s not much choice, but to take it in stride.

“Um, what are you talking about?” She looks at me like I was crazy. “This world’s pretty peaceful.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked her, surely that was some kind of joke to keep me from getting too scared. “Obviously some demon lord is terrorizing the lands and you need a hero to stop him.”

“Demon lord?” She repeated it again in a questioning manner. “Oh yeah, I killed him last year.” That’s… Kind of disappointing to hear.

“Oh, well I guess with him gone now. There must be a power vacuum that factions are trying to take advantage of.”

“If you ask me, I’d say the diplomacy is going pretty well.” What is she talking about? If there’s nothing wrong with this world, why would I get summoned here in the first place? “Honestly, don’t you think it’s a little weird that we’d get someone not from this dimension to solve our problems? Sounds a little silly to me.” I’ll try not to take that personally.

“Okay, then why am I here?” Hearing that question, she got really quiet and withdrawn from me. Instead of words, her only response to me was to fiddle her thumbs. “Um, are you going to answer me?” I ask again, it’s not like I’m in a hurry. Pretty much got all day to wait for an answer.

“It’s kind of… Lonely around here.” She has to be kidding, right? There’s no way she just took some random guy from a completely different planet just because she wants a friend.

“Send me back.” I told her. Not going to lie, kind of miffed about the whole lack of adventuring in this trip. As insane as that might sound, it’s better than being some little girl’s playmate.

“Wait!” She yells, begging me to stay. Really, if there’s nothing to do here, and I’m not stuck here, then I really don’t want to uproot my life. “Just give this place a chance, Please.”

“If I still don’t want to stay after whatever you have to show me, you’ll let me go?” I had no intentions of staying, but I guess I can humor her. Mostly because she’s the only one that can send me back anyway. I don’t really have much of a choice in the matter.

“Great, then I’ll show you around.” I followed out of what I assume to be the magic room or something.

I didn’t know what to expect, but I was absolutely floored when we left this room. She led me to the main foyer, which is huge. This place is a mansion, and on the bigger side of that definition. When I asked, she told me that she lived here all alone, no wonder she felt so lonely. Not that it made me feel much better about being plucked from my life to this strange land.

Unsurprisingly, all this was because of what she picked up during her journey to the demon lord. With the gratitude of the people, she was pretty much set for life. Another point that made me wonder why she brought me here. Surely there’s plenty of people she can make friends with around here.

She showed me everything including the kitchen sink, which by the way, is really elegant. This really was a magnificent house, but it’s not like a nice home would convince me to stay, even if it’s much better than the abode I got back on earth.

“It’s great and all, but I think I’d like to go back.” I said to her at the end of our tour. We’re standing on an outlook over the entire backyard, which was surprisingly well kept considering the size, more so seeing as she lived alone. Then again, with the money she had, it’s not hard to hire some help.

...Wait a second, she’s not trying to enslave me or anything, right?

“We’re not done yet.” She denied my request. If this kept up, I was going to lose my patience pretty soon. “You should at least check out the town down the road.”

“...Fine.” It did pique my interest a little to see what this world was like. This mansion was definitely a bad representation of it. “But I don’t think I should go out looking like this.” I was wearing some jeans and a tee-shirt. Normal things to wear where I’m from, but judging from her outfit, I’d stand out for all the wrong reasons.

“I got it.” She snapped her fingers after some thinking. She pulled me to the wardrobe, without allowing me to protest. After some tangling around, I got changed into something more fitting of the area. That being some poofy loose pants, along with a sleeveless shirt. Whoever wore this definitely had more muscles to show off than I did.

“I’m surprised you have men’s clothing.” That is very strange, seeing as she lived alone, and there’s no way she’s fitting in these.

“It’s a long story.” That was the only answer she had for me. “Now come on, let’s get going.”

156