Kingdom Come
2.1k 9 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the day nearing its end, the two of us arrive at the castle. I shouldn’t be surprised at the majestic beauty, but it truly is a sight to behold. The thing looks like it’s been recently built, perhaps due to the recent peace this land had achieved?

The walls that surround the main part, tower above as we approach. There is only one guard on duty, which makes it simple to enter as Saffron provides her credentials. Given the respect this man gives her, that reputation sure comes in handy. Not that it even matters, seeing as the king himself was the one that invited us.

Actually, I guess he only invited her. In fact, that man definitely has no clue I even exist, nor is he aware that I’m coming. Hopefully that won’t be a problem.

Once we’re inside, the two of us get off our carriage. With her expected arrival, there are some servants that are more than ready to grab our luggage to put into the room.

“I apologize.” One of them says to her. “But we were not expecting you to be with others. We didn’t prepared a room made for more than one person.”

“That’s okay.” She responds, grabbing me by the arm. “He’s my lover.” I nervously wave to the guy, as he gives me an odd look. Without much more discussion, the workers leave us be, so that we can make our audience with the ruler of this land.

Now that I think about it, I kind of like the thought of this. To meet someone with such high power, that’s certainly something I’d never get the chance to do in real life. Well, unless I did something really special. Which is far from what my life was like back then.

Now we’re just outside the throne room, only a door separates us and the king. My heart starts to beat much quicker, as the anxiety starts to take a hold of my body. I don’t want to make myself look like a fool in front of her. Then, with one deep breath, the door opens before us, revealing the person we’re here for.

For a moment, as I see him. Our eyes meet, as if something has stirred inside his mind. Then he says something that surprises me, even if it really shouldn’t.

“Alan?” At first, I wondered how he already knew my name. Then as he approached us, I realized that it’s not me he’s referring to. “But how? I thought you passed long ago!”

“Oh, Arthur.” She says his name like it’s no big deal. It makes me wonder how long they’ve known each other, especially with how old this man looks. “He’s not Alan, this young man is someone that I summoned actually.”

“Y-yeah.” I say nervously, as this man shows how poorly he understands personal space. Seriously, he puts his face up to mine, scanning my looks. It’s making me feel very self-conscious. “My name is also Alan though.”

“Stunning.” He says. “You look just like him.” Well, that’s something I’ve heard before. I wonder how many people would recognize me? After all, Alan died 20 years ago, that’s a long time. Even if one was close to him back then, surely they wouldn’t expect him to show up, looking as he did nearly two decades prior.

“Anyway.” Saffron beings us back to the subject at hand. “Why did you invite me? Obviously I’m sure it had nothing to do with my new companion.”

“I wasn’t expecting for you to bring any guests.” From the way he says it, whatever he wanted to say must’ve needed to be private. I’m going to take that as my signal to leave them alone.

“I’m certain these important matters have nothing to do with me.” I say, starting to back away. “I’ll allow the two of you to discuss your matters… Privately.”

After I leave the two, I’m not really sure where else to go. Maybe I should’ve asked where our room was going to be. Oh well, I’m sure that there’s nothing wrong with wondering around aimlessly. As long as none of the guards bother me, things should be fine for the rest of the night.

With the sun about to set, I decide to stop for a moment, and enjoy the view. This place is quite grand, and seeing something that I’m used to seeing everyday has a different light to it here. It must be the way the sun casts its rays over the stone architecture. Unlike the wood that I see it bounced on, gray seems to have its own special properties in reflection. It’s a cooler tone, than the warmth I’m used to.

While I’m watching the sunset. I spy someone outside, it looks like their engaging in some training. The way that girl swings her sword, it looks like she’s spent years of her life just to master the blade. Good thing that Saffron can’t hear my thoughts, because that girl is also rather stunningly beautiful.

Unfortunately, just as I caught a look of her, it must be the end of her practice. She makes her way to the inside, and I lose sight of her. That’s also my cue that I should go somewhere else, now that there’s nothing to look at.

I wonder where else I should go to? I suppose walking down long empty hallways will have to do with keeping me entertained. It’s about as exciting as watching paint dry.

But why is this place so empty? Sure, I’m not expecting these halls to be flooded with soldiers, or nobles, or whatever I would see in a castle. It’s just that it makes things feel a bit lonely. I can’t imagine that living here is all that fun if it’s always like this. There has to be a reason it’s the way it is.

As I’m walking, it turns out that my thought of being alone is very incorrect. Without a chance to react, I hear the whizzing of an arrow shoot past my head. Shoot, I would’ve been dead if that didn’t miss.

I turn around in an instant, bring up my light shield to protect myself. One advantage of it being a light shield instead of a tradition one, aside from being able to get it up in no time. Is that I can see through it, without have to leave its protection.

“Aww man.” I thought that it would’ve been an assassin, but there’s only a little girl standing before me. Wait hold on, it might still be just that. I’ve read plenty of manga with young looking character’s being stronger than they appear. Heck, Saffron’s one of those examples here. “I missed.”

“Good, now I can take you out.” My shield drops, so that I can flash her… No get your mind out of the gutter. I’m just using my light magic’s flashlight ability. The girl recoils in pain, I’ve got her now. Without giving her an opportunity to retreat, I charge her. It’s time to bring her down with my larger size, which is exactly what would’ve happened, if I wasn’t stopped.

In midair, I get intercepted and sent flying straight into the wall besides us. I have to say... Stone walls… Beautiful, but also very hard.

“Oof.” That really hurt, and I can barely get up. One hit and it’s already the end for me? Guess that’s what I get for spending my entire life in a world where I don’t have to get in fights all the time.

“Don’t you dare try and hurt my sister.” What? Sister? The tone of her voice, that doesn’t sounds like the voice of a cold assassin. My vision’s blurry, but I’m able to get a look at the person who knocked me down.

That long flowing red hair, her bright emerald eyes. She’s covered with armor as well, and I know why.

“Y-you…” I say weakly. She’s the lady I saw training earlier, which is what I’m trying to tell her. However, that’s when my body fails me, and once more things black out around me.

41