Dragons!
1.1k 1 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I really thought this was going to be the end of me. There’s just no way with an attack like that, that some scrawny human like myself can survive. I was about to be burnt to a nice crisp, yet when I closed my eyes. Nothing seemed to happen.

What’s going on? I should be dead by now. Or, is this what it feels like to die? Maybe I should open up my eyes to see what’s going on here.

“Huh!?” Do my eyes deceive me? I know that I saw her before I shut my eyes closed, but I thought that was some illusion that came about because of my impending doom. There’s no way that Saffron is standing right in front of me, right?

“Sorry it took me so long to get back.” She says. Yep, that’s really my girlfriend standing right there in front of me. She pulled up some ice as a barrier to block the lightning strike from the dragon. Thanks to her, I’m not going to be reincarnated back on Earth. Unless that’s not how it works. I’ve never really tried to understand how all that works.

“Pepper, are you all right?” King Arthur arrives as well, running straight to the aid of his daughter. She responds mostly positively, but I can tell with that tone. She’s not exactly happy about what I just pulled here.

“What’s going on?” I ask, which is kind of a stupid thing to ask right now. There’s no way I’ll be getting an answer at this moment.

“No time to explain.” She responds to me. “You should all retreat right now.” The girl commands all of us. Is she crazy? There’s a massive and powerful dragon staring right us. Sure, losing its tail has weakened it, but that doesn’t mean it should be underestimated though.

“But what about you?” I ask, while the others around us as as she says. This leaves us as the only people on the battlefield.

“You ever wonder how I defeated the demon lord?” She responds to me with a question of her own. That’s an interesting thing to ask right now. What does that have to do with what we’re facing.

“I assumed that your magic was just that powerful.” I tell her.

“True.” She says. “But there’s a lot more to me than that.” As she’s speaking that sentence, I see a glow of a whitish aura around her body. I knew that she was powerful, but I’ve never seen her do anything like this. Then, she does something that really astounds me.

Are those… Wings growing from her back? I don’t believe what my own eyes are witnessing here.

“It got away from me before.” She says, her voice even sounds like it has changed to this new form of hers. “But thanks to you, it’s weaker without that tail. So this should be no problem.”

I don’t know what magic Saffron is pulling out right here. Though judging from the energy being poured out, it’s certainly going to be enough to defeat our foe. At least, I hope so.

However, if I stick around. I’m not going to survive the battle that’s about to erupt. So now’s a good time for me to make my escape. I turn and run away from this situation, only looking back once to make sure she’s okay. Saffron’s yet to move from her position, and neither has that dragon. It’s as if they’re preparing for a duel right here, right now.

I take a position just inside so that I can keep an eye on this fight. Hopefully, the others are okay while this is going on. Especially Will, considering how that man got blown over the walls. He better not die on us, not when the help we desperately were holding out for has arrived.

The dragon’s the first one to make a move. It leaps up and takes flight, leaving behind the tail. Saffron does the same thing and flaps her new wings to take to the skies. Unbelievable, I never knew she could fly like that. Why wouldn’t she tell me about this? Obviously this is the type of stuff I’m interested in.

The beast is large, and still has a high level of power as it unleashes a blast from its mouth that tears into the landscape. Good thing that there’s no towns around here, or else a lot of innocent people would be in danger.

Saffron’s not backing down against this beast. It shoots a beam of electricity at her, which she counters back with a flamethrower spell of her own. A major collision occurs as two beams connect. An explosion comes out of their intersection, sending a shock wave that can be felt from all the way down here.

The two continue to fly around, exchanging blow for blow. While that thing may be more power than her, she’s a lot more maneuverable and is able to move around quicker. That’s making up the difference as she strikes up close and does some real damage. It’s a lot more than what we were able to do to it earlier.

However, this does a whole lot of making the beast more angry. She’s going to have to find a way to finish this soon or else there’s going to be a lot of rubble here. But it looks like the girl’s going for the killing blow.

The dragon is also looking to end things, and so it charges up one powerful last beam directed right at us. She responds in kind by charging up her own powerful electric blast at it. I hate to sound like a bit of a geek, but she looks as though she’s charging up a certain famous move in a popular franchise. The difference here being that hers is using some literal firepower. In unison, they let off their power right for each other.

The magic beams collide, causing a shock wave even more powerful than anything else that has filled this realm. However, even if I’ve stated how strong this beast is. Saffron’s even stronger, as she overcomes and wins out in this beam struggle. In a flash of light, the dragon is really feeling the pain. Her blast completely covers over it, and disintegrates the great monster. Finally, our nightmare can be put to an end.

Once she’s finished off her opponent, I see her wings disappear as if she never had them. Without them, she begins falling to the ground. In fear over her safety, I run to catch the girl’s falling body. Not sure what me catching her would do to break the fall, but I’m not going to let her slam onto the ground.

Yet somehow, she’s light as a feather as I come over to nab her from the air. In fact, a lot lighter than what she should be. I should know, since I’ve carried her during our more… Intimate moments.

“You did it Saffron.” I congratulate her on the success. “That thing’s not going to be causing any more trouble.”

But the girl doesn’t even stir in response to my words.

22