Payback
913 0 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You know, I’m glad we got through that without much drama. It lets me focus on something a lot more important between me and Saffron. That being her birthday coming up.

In fact, good timing with the two princesses being here as well. I suppose they’ve known her more than long enough to know when her birthday is. So this was probably all planned by them. However, I still have my own things to take care of with it about to arrive.

“So, Saffron?” Meanwhile, the four of us are about town. With our two guests, that means we also need to make some extra purchases to keep everyone fed. “Have you and Alan already planned a birthday party?” Kind of odd for Salt to be so unsubtle with a question like that. I almost feel like she might have a trick up her sleeve, or else I have no clue why she would be talking like that.

“Oh no.” Saffron responds. “I’m much too old to be throwing a party just for my birthday.” Still not sure what’s that supposed to mean. Even grannies can enjoy one with their families. Unless she means that she’s well past the point of even the life of a normal human. But even then, I think that with friends like us, she should enjoy herself.

“That doesn’t sound like very fun.” Pepper chimes in. “My whole life, I’ve never seen you celebrate your birthday. When was the last time you even had a party?”

“Master was still alive last time.” It’s weird that she still refers to him as ‘master’. Then again, it’s a little convenient for me. Especially since I share a name with the guy. “It’s actually the only time I’ve ever celebrated a birthday, because I don’t know my real birthday.” That sounds really sad, but a given considering the circumstances of her birth.

“Anyway.” I speak up. “Let’s make sure we’re not forgetting anything.” The list in my hands is my important duty to the group. It contains everything that we’ll need to buy for the next week. “We can worry about those details later.”

So we continue on our merry way, splitting up to cover as much ground as possible. At least, I thought we were splitting up, but someone seems to be tailing me. That someone being Pepper, who is one of the worst people in the two worlds I’ve lived in, at following someone secretly. I assume given her personality, that the girl isn’t used to being subtle. “Did you need something?” I ask her, which causes the girl to hide behind one of the stands.

“Oh, I was just looking around.” She comes up with such a blatantly poor excuse. “I haven’t been here in a long time, so I was just trying to find my way.”

“Do you need me to remind you of what you’re looking for?” I’m a bit too proud of my position as list carrier. “It’s fine if you forgot, I can just tell you again.”

“It’s not that.” She quietly whispers, getting closer to me. “I actually have something to talk to you about.” The way she’s acting, it’s clear the girl’s not a fan of the public area we’re in. Whatever she wants to discuss, it’s something that should be for my ears only.

“What is it?” I take her aside, but at the same time, the two of us still need to shop. So let’s just say that I’m taking routes with minimal people and keeping a lookout. “Is something wrong?”

“I don’t know if I’d call it that.” She replies. “It’s just that, well…” That whimpering of hers makes it even harder to tell what she’s saying. What is it that she wants to say, that’s so hard?

“Go on…” I urge her.

“W-why did you… Save me?”

“Huh?” Did I hear her right? Is she really questioning my acts from that day. “What’s wrong with me doing that?”

“I just don’t understand.” She explains it to me. “I was so mean to you, even tried to have you killed.” Yeah, those things were pretty horrible. Which I guess explains why she’s so conflicted about it. If it wasn’t for Saffron, I’d be dragon barbecue after pushing her out of the way of the blast. “Why would you sacrifice yourself for me?”

“I… Hmm…” Now that she’s asking me, why did I do that? She really didn’t like me, and honestly, I’m still not that close with her even now. So I suppose there’s not a direct reason for me to do something like that.

Except there kind of is. Look at me, I might look a little bit like a wimp. But I try to do the right thing. Why else do you think I got so excited at the idea of being a hero for this world? It sounds kind of selfish, but I kind of wanted to be important to the people here. When I learned I wouldn’t, I decided to go be important back home. At least I had my mom, dad, some friends too. It wasn’t much, it to me, it felt a lot better than being stuck with some summoner who took someone from their home because they were lonely. Obviously, things have changed since I learned more about that.

Now that I think about them, I know they miss me. I wonder how they’re handling that I’ve gone missing seemingly out of nowhere? Have they put up posters with my face on them? Are they still looking, even while I’m enjoying myself here?

Great, now I’ve gone and made myself sad. I need to stay focused and have a proper explanation for Pepper. “Look.” I regain my composure for her. “The truth is, I’ve always wanted to be a hero. And I don’t think that it’s very heroic to pick and choose who I save because of my own personal feelings. So I did it because I believe it to be the right thing.” Whether or not it was the right thing to do, well I’ll let everyone else be the judge of that.

“Then please.” She makes a declaration. “I have to make it up to you somehow. My life is owed to you, and I’ll do anything.”

“I don’t know if you really need to...” Would she really be willing to do anything? Maybe, maybe not. Though I could ask her to do something for me…

No, I’m not one of those characters that’ll take advantage of her and sex her up or something. Need I remind you that I have a girlfriend. That said, I do have something in mind. “Actually, I do have one thing for you.”

“Really?”

“Yep, and if you help me out with it, then consider us even.” If you actually calculate the math, it’s not even at all. But whatever will get her off my back is good with me. “I need you to help me out with Saffron’s birthday gift.”

15