Episode One: Trapped (A)
19 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Kirstie Ceres’s Point of View*

Trees. Darkness. Loneliness. Waking up from a certain nightmare was merely the reality. The world either round or flat would always be in the same place. Different races that fight over and over for greed. They wanted to get what they wanted, even if it’d kill everyone, for as long as they’re benefited. 

It was always the darkest of mornings for me. The everyday cries of the hopeless children, the shouts of the homeless ones, and the loudest greaves of the dying. Being alive in this situation was pointless; you get to live and wait to die. Every time when they would turn this place up for a massive massacre, it’d be deafening. The loudest gun shots and the noisiest turrets would turn up and terrorize everyone. 

“We’re the only ones alive here”, I’d mouth every morning with a hopeless tone.

The oh so numbered citizens in this hidden rural town only wanted the same thing as mine… That is to be free as if living our lives to the fullest. 265 was my recent count. Everyone here, including me was fighting like the troops protecting us. All were needed for combat. Wow! From two thousand citizens of NCR down to just less than three hundred? Quite outrageous to know that this chaotic nonsense would drop into something… Something awful like death itself. Death was really inevitable.

Making my last two spoonfuls of powdered milk was the sign for me to get outta here. But how? I was supposed to be a fighter like them, but I was treated like an expensive jewel to be protected that much.

I was the only one here. The only family I had was Aaliyah and her children. One day she’ll laugh because I still don’t give a shit about getting a man. Who cares about being in love anyway?

Sipped the last of my delightful glass of milk and it was time to walk ahead to Aaliyah’s. What good would have she done right now?

My slip ons felt tough as my feet touched it. It has been quite a long time since I bought one, and I kinda outgrown it though. Well a bit because I’m only a petite woman. How could I even buy one? We’re trapped here in this wretched place.

By the door, there’s her pretty little kids; one girl who always wears her glasses like her mother does and a toddler who dreamed of being a man of faith and courage someday. They were just like their mum, they loved doing experiments and rolling on the dirt to find clues.

“Oh, there you are. Come, I have to show you something.” Aaliyah bulged in and welcomed me with a huge smile. 

Inside her little lab, you could see some prototypes of her inventions out of nature. Some on those dusty, wooden shelves were the liquescent doses for the typical illnesses. Some were, I don’t know, unfinished businesses, I guess. And I suppose that I shouldn’t butt in to that biz she’s into.

On the table, were sealed blurry test tubes sitting down on a wooden organiser with green-coloured fluid in it. Ah, the antidote we’ve been working on for the rest of our lives.

“So, have you found out something?” I asked, holding up a test tube containing the unfinished antidote.

“Yes. Actually, it was your own sample of your healing antidote. I have figured out the formula and it sure does work like the last time and improves as well.” Her face lit up like a mad scientist, like was her first time to figure this out.

“Well, is this for a long-term effect?” Said I, hoping to be a virus-free patient.

“Oh… I think… Not. Based on my comparison on my past and my recent tests, they would just pause the spreading, and now, for a longer time. As good news, I think there’s still that 15% to 20% possibility that the antidote will completely dissolve the virus in your body and will avoid coming up into your brain… Which! Will be the end of… YOU.” She told me hesitantly while fiddling with the loose thread upon her dirty white lab coat. 

I know that there’s still a chance for the cure and who knew? I might not be the only one who had this deadly virus, and this could literally save them.

“Well, it’s alright, Aaliyah. The important thing is that that antidote will lengthen my life span. Besides, I may still have the chance to find true love.” I said joking around and chuckled.

“Oh, just kiddin’. We can still work on that again and again. Good thing my original cure helped you out.” I told her with a matching smirk on my face, showing my obvious cheeks that displayed my beauty.

2