Episode Twenty Two: Road to an End (A)
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Okay then. We still up at this late hour, we need to rest for tomorrow.” Zedd got himself a pillow then placed it on his lap. He sighed out of mere exasperation then carefully removed my cuffs for me to sleep properly. “Yeah, tomorrow.”

“I just hope this shit would soon end though”, Gia muttered as she sips another round of her linctus tea while bending over Krypton to reach for her pillow. She paused as she realized how close she was to him then asked him to just hand it over to her. “Uhhhh… Sorry, the pillow… Please?”

Krypton didn’t say a word at all but did a favour. They had a pretty awkward atmosphere though just subtle in appearance.

“Thanks.”

“Uhm hey…” Krypton called her with a very low voice.

“Hm?” Gia responded while she took another sip.

“What’s in that drink of yours?” He asked with an awkward reaction on his face.

“Nuthin’. Just some… tea.” She just smiled at him as if she’s unproblematic as fuck.

As I prepared myself as well to doze off, Zedd gently poked me at my shoulder then as I turned to him, he patted on his lap. “If you don’t mind, you can lay your head on my lap.”

I gestured to him, ‘no thanks, I’m fine’ and gave him a weak smile. Even though I want to be close to him more than he wants me too, I need him to lose his feelings for me. I don’t deserve a man like him. I could see how bittersweet his smile was to me.

 “Okay then. I don’t want you to feel any uneasiness at all, so it’s okay.” He said to me with a forced smile. He turned his back then buried his head on his pillow to begin his nightly rest.

“I’m sorry.” I spoke out of the blue then scooched myself at the far corner of the vehicle, far from him. I lied down and sighed.

“How tragic these lovebirds are.” Our companions, Gia and Krypton, said in chorus. Afterwards, both of them paused and mumbled their good nights to each other in a stubborn way.

We all rested up until the sun would shine on our faces for tomorrow’s last raid.

 

*Zedd’s Point of View*

We were almost at our destination; however, Kirstie’s still sound asleep. I could now see an unfamiliar rural town from afar, getting closer to us. The place was also near a waterfall, but this time, it’s steeper than the last one where I've abducted Kirstie. A flamboyant noise from an alarm came in filling our ears, causing Kirstie to be startled from her deep sleep.

“WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?”

“Finally, the great Kirstie is awake!” Gia exclaimed and did a facepalm out of disappointment. “You’ve been asleep for days.”

“You’re exaggerating.” Kirstie’s immediate response as she got up and cleaned her face with facial wipes. “You’re all just awake a couple of hours ahead of me.”

“Good to know, you’re not that dumb.” Gia sassily winked at her.

“Krypton!” She called, rolling her eyes. He just responded by looking at her as if he doesn’t know what’s going on.

“Why don’t you control the mouth of your girlf-“ She was cut by a lurid explosion followed by gunshots.

“WHAT?” Gia began yelling because we literally couldn’t hear ourselves anymore.

“Krypt-“ She attempted the second time; again was cut this time by Krypton kicking her leg.

“SHUT IT, KIRSTIE! YOU AIN’T HELPING.”

“Ow! I didn’t mean that. I’m just gonna ask what’s happening.” She spoke as silence suddenly filled the entire atmosphere.

Not a little while, we heard dad yelling his ass out to intimidate the outnumbered troops we just ransacked. “Come out, you puny Filipinos! State all your death wishes before making your ms. Doc watch you all burn in hell.”

“Dad… Do we really have to go through this?” I said to myself out loud that everybody heard it.

“That’ll be a yes though. Our father’s a knucklehead after all.” Brother responded in his usual cocky tone. He’s right though, there’s nothing new to his character. Or if maybe so, it got worse.

I was so anxious at this certain hour choosing who to protect. All I ever wanted was for dad to change and to just live with us in harmony. I don’t even want Kirstie to risk her life for anyone anymore. Why do things need to be weighed in order to be practical? Why would there be always a certain sacrifice for me to get up?

Just… end this war.

 

*Kirstie’s Point of View*

“It’s time.” I spoke confidently as I attached my bag to myself and got my revolver in my hand. “I only had a limited time to keep those civilians from being shot dead.”

“No! Let me be the one to handle them instead.” Zedd reacted, insisting on his own ideas again.

“This is my country, they are my kind and I’m gonna be the one to handle all of them.” I sighed while filling up my guns with ammo with all of them.

“I said no!” He shouted at me angrily. “You think you can handle all of them on your own? You’re being overly confident.”

“Actually she can”, Krypton butted in, which made his brother more irritated. “With those gifts she had, she’ll sure win.”

“How?” Gia also cut by that saves me a bit of time from hearing Zedd being a whiny lad.

“I already knew it, duh.”

“You’re degrading me now, Zedd? You mad? Then go be mad. Don’t go my way.” I told him then used my gift to cuff his hand to the handrails of our vehicle.

“KIRSTIE! DON’T FUCKING PLAY ANYMORE.” I just heard him say but somehow, doesn’t affect me at all anymore because this was supposed to happen. “You always make dumb decisions.”

I climbed down the vehicle on my own, took a final turn to him and said, “Maybe I’m that dumb to love someone like you after all.”

 As soon as I got out, I immediately saw my friends being cornered by a lot of Germans. Even the cries of the innocent children breaks my heart. Now’s the time to use this baby and show off my true self.

“HEY! FAT-ASSED HEINZ!”

1