Entry #0: Prologue
118 11 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Today is... Ah. I'm just going to check my flowers today, I doubt my energy core needs to be checked for another..."

A man cleaning dishes after eating breakfast, mumbles to himself.
This man is named Daxter. His incoherent mumbling is usually heard by no one but himself. He doesn't mind hearing himself, but prefers listening to music, to drown out thoughts that slip past his inhibitor chip.

He turns off the faucet, dries his hands, and walks outside to a prairie of rolling lavender.
Following a pathway of cobblestone to a simple greenhouse, with all kinds of strange and otherworldly flowers inside.
Many of them magical, and very few for simply decoration.

After looking around his greenhouse, he reaches towards the air, and grabs a watering can from nothingness.
Of course, he didn't simply manifest a watering can from nothing. He's not a god.
He simply took it out of his storage system, a system that defies almost all logic, turning matter into data, and data into matter.

"I'll never understand why I don't just falsify the data in this system... Eh, whatever. I don't even need to."

For a long while he had thoughts of creating complex items from data alone. It was very much possible, as he had accomplished this feat many times before, but not with anything but base materials such as iron, or gold.
It was useful for osmium, and other exotic metals... but there was only so much material a single man could use.
Even if it were for creating a false universe.

His efforts were usually fruitless, as life was simply far too rare for random chance.
Millions of attempts, and not one bore life. He would mumble and groan of it to this day, endlessly waiting for any kind of life.

He walks up to a grey flower, somewhat cubic in shape, slightly wilted. He reaches towards the air once more, and pulls a small chunk of coal from his system, and drops it into said flower.
It bursts into flame, as magic once again pumps through it.

"Wonder how the hell I managed this. Literally a combustion powered flower. Absurd."

Not all of Daxter's inventions and creations were of use. In fact, the useful ones were far more rare than those he made for no particular reason. There was not much more to be done after the creation of his magnum opus, a device called the... "Big stupid halo."

It was the farthest thing from stupid, of course. Capable of nearly anything requiring thought, it was an A.I. of his own design, to manage all of his systems. And manage it did. It expanded them, and itself, endlessly... It even merged itself with its creator of its own will. Of course, when Daxter found out it was indeed sentient, and very much enjoyed his company, he treated it very kind. Much to its pleasure.

It had grown a sense of humor, and loved to lord that name over him. He named it... Her, Angel. He thought it was fitting, considering the merging had caused a strange ring of light to hover over his head at all times. Angel liked "Big stupid halo" more, because of how ironic it was.

As for why it decided to identify as a girl... Well, she loved Daxter. Why else would she move and harvest galaxies for him? Really, a single dyson sphere provided all the energy they could ask for and more, but Daxter had decided one day to,

"Just start harvesting entire universes. If there's any life, please inform me. I very much wish to see natural life."

There was, of course, exponential growth. As she upgraded, and upgraded, and upgraded... It stopped. They had both hit the end. Daxter at the utmost limits of mind, magic, and science, and even Angel had been stumped. They simply had to wait. And wait they did.

They had created an artificial planet for themselves to enjoy, for an indeterminate amount of time. The inhibitors placed on both of them kept them from becoming bored over the millions of years they had lived. Sure, they could create their own life... But where's the fun in that? Who knows what kind of life forms would happen if random chance were involved?

Daxter looks up towards the sky. It was light blue, with clouds speckled about. An average sky, much like the one on earth. There was almost no difference, aside from being able to see stars clearer. 

"Hmm... Aevitas has flickered out again. I'd better go tell Ange to make some more stars there."

After finishing his garden work, he walks back towards his cabin, spotting Angel standing in the doorway, waving.
he steps on to his patio and she gives him a hug.

"D'aww. I was only gone for... Hmm... Oh, right. Aevitas has flickered out again."

"Again? Would you like to halve our material creation?"

She asks, still hugging him. Daxter ponders how something so cute could be made from such a simple A.I., but puts that thought aside.

"Yes. We're not really using much of it anyway, so half should be good. The constellation markers are still there, correct?"

"Of course. I've already set for there to be new stars born soon. Really, a bomb that makes stars. What can't you make?"

She asks with a playful expression, still hugging her man.

"Well, anything you've made, for starters."

"Hehe! Don't forget, I'm still one of your inventions, so technically everything I've made is still your invention."

"I can dispute that, but I doubt I'll win." He says, smiling as he walks back inside his cabin with Angel.

Just another normal day. Until something had caused their halos to shine brightly, as if they were warning them of something.

"Angel. Disable our inhibition chips, please."

"Yes, dear." she says, snapping her fingers.

What should have normally been an amount of information capable of creating a black hole by itself if condensed into a brain, was now simply a thought in their shared mind. Angel had returned to being one with Daxter, as strange and otherworldly runes surrounded them.

Something impossible was happening.

And it was exciting. Truly, truly exciting for them.

Hiya, thanks for reading. critique would be very much appreciated, since im still very new at writing. hopefully ill get faster at it too. also i just noticed the synopsis just straight up doesnt match the prologue lmao, ill fix it soon, i promise.

3